Patrick Lefevere

wolfix

Mar 11, 2005
This could be the bomb of the year....... How much truth there is to what the journalists says is up in the air. Everyone has to decide what they want to believe. The part that I find interesting is how some on his own team wishes he would just shut up........ they knew that if he started throwing accusations around, that others would attempt to hang him...... I believe most riders, including his own , owe their loyalty to the other riders on other teams, not to their DS.......
http://www.velonews.com/news/fea/11517.0.html

This is great… the new heroes of our sport…. the journalists who uncover doping stories… in fact our cycling press is filled with journalists who interview journalists who uncover doping stories…. With unnamed sources of course ! How cool is this… ?who needs the cyclists anymore ? Well we need them dope so we can keep writing stories about them….

just one question.... why is it when stories break about Armstrong in l'Equipe, l'Equipe is labelled gutter press but no mention of Het Laatste Nieuws' being the same styled newspaper ? why do we have claim after claim on Basso in newspapers and we question the vaildity of those publications but not Het Laatste Nieuws'....... I think we all know why...

wolfix said:
This could be the bomb of the year....... How much truth there is to what the journalists says is up in the air. Everyone has to decide what they want to believe. The part that I find interesting is how some on his own team wishes he would just shut up........ they knew that if he started throwing accusations around, that others would attempt to hang him...... I believe most riders, including his own , owe their loyalty to the other riders on other teams, not to their DS.......
http://www.velonews.com/news/fea/11517.0.html

Here's my take.

Lefevre isn't against doping in cycling per se.... He is against the sponsors or public getting any whiff that doping is rife in the sport. Thats Business in Cycling course 101.

So he runs a tidy team house himself. Someone mentioned he never attends races. Nice way to distance oneself from the goings on and offers more time to create a convincing non-doping facade around the team

He is against sloppy management of doping stories, sloppy management of teams re how they do their doping. Hence his anger at Discovery, Basso etc. He would rather make a scapegoat out of a dozen high profile ridetrs than have the whole racket blow wide open and suck in every team.

So in the end it looks like on the one hand he is strongly anti doping. But in reality he knows very well what's going on, tolerates it and maybe even creates an environment where it thrives and thrived among his own riders.

I like that.... I have to say thats a good summation... for all DS's...

wicklow200 said:
Here's my take.

Lefevre isn't against doping in cycling per se.... He is against the sponsors or public getting any whiff that doping is rife in the sport. Thats Business in Cycling course 101.

So he runs a tidy team house himself. Someone mentioned he never attends races. Nice way to distance oneself from the goings on and offers more time to create a convincing non-doping facade around the team

He is against sloppy management of doping stories, sloppy management of teams re how they do their doping. Hence his anger at Discovery, Basso etc. He would rather make a scapegoat out of a dozen high profile ridetrs than have the whole racket blow wide open and suck in every team.

So in the end it looks like on the one hand he is strongly anti doping. But in reality he knows very well what's going on, tolerates it and maybe even creates an environment where it thrives and thrived among his own riders.

I think he may have an ego that got out of control. While everyone else is just shutting up about doping in the sport, he attacks others in an attempt to get others to percieve him a an anti-doper.I wonder if JM makes him to want to throw up? I wonder if he wants to sue JM and himself for what JM and he has done to the sport?

But when his number one boy announces he is a doper at the same time the story hits the press, something is up. I think JM knows this is going to blow open.

The interesting thing is he has the best team for the one day races, and had the best one day team the past decade or so. He hasn't the same success in the GT's, but it is not necessary to cement his place in history.

The one thing that I want to find out is if the story about turning his own rider in to the authorities to eliminate his contract is true. I have to say two things about that......

1.......If it is true, the riders on his team will turn on him. As they should. They will realize that they may be next.

2..... if the story turns out to be true....... I hope Lefevere dies a slow and painful death. A man that would do that to his own rider does not deserve to be around.

**** The sad thing is it's starting to take the shine off of TB and PB's wins......

I agree lets hope he rots in hell and Basso wins the Tour with Ullrich the Giro.... fark me ! What gear ARE YOU ON WOLF !

wolfix said:
I think he may have an ego that got out of control. While everyone else is just shutting up about doping in the sport, he attacks others in an attempt to get others to percieve him a an anti-doper.I wonder if JM makes him to want to throw up? I wonder if he wants to sue JM and himself for what JM and he has done to the sport?

But when his number one boy announces he is a doper at the same time the story hits the press, something is up. I think JM knows this is going to blow open.

The interesting thing is he has the best team for the one day races, and had the best one day team the past decade or so. He hasn't the same success in the GT's, but it is not necessary to cement his place in history.

The one thing that I want to find out is if the story about turning his own rider in to the authorities to eliminate his contract is true. I have to say two things about that......

1.......If it is true, the riders on his team will turn on him. As they should. They will realize that they may be next.

2..... if the story turns out to be true....... I hope Lefevere dies a slow and painful death. A man that would do that to his own rider does not deserve to be around.

**** The sad thing is it's starting to take the shine off of TB and PB's wins......

whiteboytrash said:
I agree lets hope he rots in hell and Basso wins the Tour with Ullrich the Giro.... fark me ! What gear ARE YOU ON WOLF !
Anyone who turns someone over to the authorities to further his own life is the lowest form of life there is. I have no problem with him being the DS of a doping team as I think that is the norm... but settin up a rider to eliminate his contract.
Is Lefevere French?

wolfix said:
Anyone who turns someone over to the authorities to further his own life is the lowest form of life there is. I have no problem with him being the DS of a doping team as I think that is the norm... but settin up a rider to eliminate his contract.
Is Lefevere French?
Flemish but they speak French as well: "a l'insu de mon plein gré" .... some more famous quotes for you:

"It's hypocritical. Armstrong brought so much more international attention to cycling. I have a lot of strong feelings about this, so I better not say anything else."

"I treat all my riders the same, but Johan Museeuw has a special place in my heart."

"Maybe we should sue Landis, why not? Why don't we use the American way? As long as Landis continues to claim he doesn't know about anything, such a scenario becomes more and more likely. "

"I want to throw up when I hear him. Landis has turned the clock twenty years backwards."

wolfix said:
Is Lefevere French?
Agree with most of the above...as I have said many times before when Lefevre opened his piehole--he is full of b#llsh#t.

The one thing the credible source said to the journalist (read velonews) is that the dirty story about Lot contract was NOT true, and he rode for the team then. But what would Lotz say???

bobke said:
Agree with most of the above...as I have said many times before when Lefevre opened his piehole--he is full of b#llsh#t.
I wouldn't say that Lefevre is full of ********... what he says is true... like Landis has turned the clock back by 20 years, Basso is a disgrace... the only thing he failed to mention was that he was just as involved as Basso, Landis, Bruyneel and co.

wolfix said:
The part that I find interesting is how some on his own team wishes he would just shut up........ they knew that if he started throwing accusations around, that others would attempt to hang him..[/url]
As bad as Armstrong was/is, I don't think he'd ever do that.

whiteboytrash said:
I wouldn't say that Lefevre is full of ********... what he says is true... like Landis has turned the clock back by 20 years, Basso is a disgrace... the only thing he failed to mention was that he was just as involved as Basso, Landis, Bruyneel and co.
Off topic a bit, but I think the thing that ****** a lot of people off about Landis was that the '06 Tour was looking something like a clean Tour. Then Landis took the gloves off. Anyone else get that feeling?

helmutRoole2 said:
Off topic a bit, but I think the thing that ****** a lot of people off about Landis was that the '06 Tour was looking something like a clean Tour. Then Landis took the gloves off. Anyone else get that feeling?
Good point, the illusion of a clean sport is better (or easier) for the current top teams, their riders and D.S.s to attain than the reality. Landis' jour sans actually reinforced this illusion, and then he had "a few beers" and the illusion shattered.

helmutRoole2 said:
I think that there are 2 main Landis actions that ****** people off. The first one is the one you mentioned. A lot of fans were happy to imagine that all doping was stopped after OP and after the 2 positives tests (and the exogenous testosterone), they had to realize that it wasn't that simple. I think the 2nd reason was/is his defense. He his using the same things as LA & Hamilton did before: he played the anti-us french conspiracy at the beginning and the followed up with the defense fund.

Well its like nuclear disarmament.
If everyone agrees NOT to develop more and new weapons and then you find out like North Korea is, everyone gets upset for some reason...and stops inviting North Korea to the neighborhood birthday parties.

Of course Lefevre was furious that the Landis Affair brought doping back in the picture, because it ruined his ironclad bulletproof arrangement to get rid of half of the big threats via O.P. while his own shop and UCI contact were still in place.

hombredesubaru said:
Of course Lefevre was furious that the Landis Affair brought doping back in the picture, because it ruined his ironclad bulletproof arrangement to get rid of half of the big threats via O.P. while his own shop and UCI contact were still in place.
Hey, explain this part a little bit more. I think you're on to something. I haven't been able to pin down Lefevere's motivations for shooting his mouth off, if shooting his mouth off is what set off the chain of events leading to the recent publications about his team and its dealings.

earth_dweller said:
I think that there are 2 main Landis actions that ****** people off. The first one is the one you mentioned. A lot of fans were happy to imagine that all doping was stopped after OP and after the 2 positives tests (and the exogenous testosterone), they had to realize that it wasn't that simple.
I don't think it stopped, but I think there was some kind of gentleman's agreement between the teams to at least cut back a little. The speeds were slower, if I remember correctly.

helmutRoole2 said:
I don't it stopped, but I think there was some kind of gentleman's agreement between the teams to at least cut back a little. The speeds were slower, if I remember correctly.
But didn't the teams send their B-Team to the 2006 TDF?

hombredesubaru said:
Well its like nuclear disarmament.
If everyone agrees NOT to develop more and new weapons and then you find out like North Korea is, everyone gets upset for some reason...and stops inviting North Korea to the neighborhood birthday parties.

interesting. A few teams were untouched by the OP before the Tour and were able to send a complete squad, not just QS. So were the other DS also involved in this conspiracy?