Put a smile on your face!

nashy_88

Jul 10, 2004
Does smiling while climbing tough hills really work for anyone out there? I personally have never tried it but am wondering if it works for anyone out there, also whether anyone looks up while climbing whilst you train?

Cheers guys

nashy_88 said:
Does smiling while climbing tough hills really work for anyone out there? I personally have never tried it but am wondering if it works for anyone out there, also whether anyone looks up while climbing whilst you train?

Cheers guys

Yeah, smiling can help sometimes. Mostly seems to give an added boost to morale and you find a little extra when/if you need it. I also look up at what I am climbing while riding, though yeah, I also dig in sometimes and find my line of sight a few feet ahead of the front wheel when I've really got to look internally.

Smile mostly, but gotta be careful that the smile does not look like a grimace of pain.
Also make sure to casually greet everyone I pass on my way to the top (makes the climb seem easier)

nashy_88 said:

Cheers guys

Depends if I'm thinking about anything funny, generally its just a normal face though. Always smile in a race because it absolutely kills the other fellas. Bit of the old psychological warfare. Out training I generally look at where I'm going unless theres something interesting on the side of the road. Try to never look down though, no idea why.

I used to enjoy laughing maniacally but it disrupted my breathing rhythm too much. On the plus side, anybody coming toward you (walkers, rollerbladers, etc.) gets the hell outta your way! ;)

nashy_88 said:

Cheers guys
I tried the smiling technique today...worked like a charm!:D

rotorcaptain said:
I tried the smiling technique today...worked like a charm!:D
I'm often accused of smiling for no good reason, so it may well happen going uphill. Here's my technique, and it applies to all riding situations. Are you ready?

Sit On It And Pedal.

Anything else you do at the same time is just decorative...

I don't smile, I just do them 1 handed and talk on my cell phone with the other hand. Really torques off the people I pass while going up hill. That might be intentional though.. :) I excel at hills, but get punked on the flats..

I love hills.