Removing damaged disk rotor screw

1id10t

Apr 11, 2005
Does anyone know of a way I could remove a damaged screw holding the disk rotor to the front hub. I don't want to damage the hub or wheels. When I tried to remove it I ended up 'stripping' it so much so that the torx screwdriver doesn't grab anymore. All of the other screws have been removed. It's just the one problem one. Why do they make the damn things so shallow?

Get an anglegrinder! I'm serious, gently grind the head off the screw.

You may find it easiest to use the grinder upside down. ie hands underneath wheel on top, sparks go to the left.

When the head is really thin you will see it change colour to blue.
Remove the disc.
The remaining piece of screw should now be loose and can be removed with pliers. This is where you are being careful.
steady hands

1id10t said:
Does anyone know of a way I could remove a damaged screw holding the disk rotor to the front hub?

Grinding the head off as suggested will work unless the screw has seized in the thread, in which case pliers are unlikely to provide sufficient grip. If you have access to an arc welder (mig/mag or tig) a very good way is to put a nut on top of the damaged screw, and lay a bead down the center of the nut. Once it's cooled you should be able to get the screw out with a socket. It's the work of seconds for someone who has the welding gear at hand.

Thanks for the replies. I had thought of using an angle grinder but found, as dabac said, that the screw has seized in th thread (which is how the head got damaged). I like the sound of the nut trick; thanks dabac.

I assume it's a rounded head screw.

Your local hardware store should have some liquid thread loosening product like "Liquid Wrench" you can apply before trying any of this:

You could use a hacksaw and cut a groove in the head and try a standard screwdriver to back it out.
If that didn't work you could try a centerpunch with a hammer to get it to turn by trying to unscrew it.
As a last resort you could try an "Ez-out" which should certainly work.

Those screws are tightened to inch pounds so a little elbow grease should get it out.

good luck!

You can take a dremel tool with a cut-wheel and just cut a slot in the top of the bolt head and take it out with a wide straight blade screwdriver.

lumpy said:
Your local hardware store should have some liquid thread loosening product like "Liquid Wrench" you can apply before trying any of this:
I've never seen any significant improvementfrom those. Either they don't penetrate well enough to make a difference, or maybe I haven't let it sit long enough.

lumpy said:
You could use a hacksaw and cut a groove in the head and try a standard screwdriver to back it out.
If it's seized bad enough to strip the torx pattern, what are the odds that straight blade would do the trick? Size for size torx are the strongest heads available. Only time I see any point in that approach is when one knows that the reason for the stripped head was the use of a poorly fitting tool bit, like mixing phillips and pozidrive.

lumpy said:
If that didn't work you could try a centerpunch with a hammer to get it to turn by trying to unscrew it.
Given the size I think that'd be hard, but generally its an idea. I'd suggest a chisel instead of centerpunch though.

lumpy said:
As a last resort you could try an "Ez-out" which should certainly work.
I really don't like ez-outs, particularly in the dimension we're talking about here. First one has to get the hole positioned just right, then there's the ever-present danger of the ez-out snapping, which absolutely ruins your chances of drilling out the screw and cleaning the threads, if it should come to that.

I finally tackled the disc rotor and managed to remove it without too much pain. In the end I decided to try hacksawing a groove in it to try to unscrew it. Sorry dabac, your suggestions were valid but I don't have an arc welder and was really wanting to remove it as soon as I could.
Anyway, couldn't unscrew it so I decided to remove every other screw and then grabbed the rotor and started shifting it from side to side in the hope of loosening the one screw. It eventually started to move and I was then able to use a flat screwdriver to unscrew it.
Thanks again for the suggestions. Hope this is of some help to anyone else facing the same dilemma.:)

move anything in the way( axel ECT.0 then rotate the rotor to the direction that it will loosen and keep doing that, you WILL bend the rotor but it gets the job done(if you do know how to do that)(i was doing that since i was 4:) )

1id10t said:
I ..managed to remove it ... I decided to try hacksawing a groove in it to try to unscrew ..your suggestions were valid but I don't have an arc welder and was really wanting to remove it as soon as I could.

Well, the tools we have obviously play a big part in which tools we use ;) But welders aren't particularly rare and this is a very effective method, so I thought I'd pass it along. I've even used it to remove a couple of badly seized screws with the heads more or less worn off from a couple of SPD cleats.
Besides, this really is a sub-minute job for someone who has the welding gear already set up. A stroll down to the local auto body repair shop with a box of donuts in one hand and the wheel in the other should do the trick if they're feeling helpful.
1id10t said:
I.. decided to remove every other screw and then grabbed the rotor and started shifting it from side to side in the hope of loosening the one screw. It eventually started to move and I was then able to use a flat screwdriver to unscrew it.

That is a good approach too, but it depends very much on where, and how badly the screw has seized. If the screw is binding between head - disc, then sure. But if it's binding in the threads you lose all chance of transferring torque the moment you get the smallest bit of play between the screw and the disc.