Scotland's New Tourism message

jhuskey

Oct 6, 2003
I have heard that Scotland has a new welcome message. After months of study and over $200,000 US a new and better vehicle to bring more tourist dollars to what was touted as "The best little country".
The new message............"Welcome to Scotland".
I would have given them that one for half the cost. :confused: :confused: :confused:
Where is Mountain Pro when you need a comment?

Welcome to Scotland.
It is ridiculous having spent that level of money that they couldn't have come up with a better tagline.

But - it seems that all things Scottish are in the ascendency according to yesterdays Guardian newspaper.
According to several surveys taken, the ordinary Scot is happy with his lot (basically the survey was to see if people were satisfied with life under the SNP)

Scotland has punched far above it's weight for decades : look at cycling for example : Robert Millar, Chris Hoy, Graeme Obree.
Throw in other sports Hendry (snooker), football (Law, Dalgleish, Souness, Hansen), Boxing (Watt), Rugby, Golf, Swimming (Wilkie) :
The list is endless.

jhuskey said:
I have heard that Scotland has a new welcome message. After months of study and over $200,000 US a new and better vehicle to bring more tourist dollars to what was touted as "The best little country".
I would have given them that one for half the cost. :confused: :confused: :confused:
LOL! You know, I think I simply MUST visit Scotland now! How could I not go there?? They are welcoming me!

(Actually, I really would like to go to Scotland --and that was before they spent 200K)

I do this stuff for a living, and the price is reasonable. However, as is typical in bureaucratic organizations, by the time everyone provides thier opinion, you end up with a white washed program, thus a tagline that is really generic.

To get the good lines, the organization has to be willing to take a risk whcih is exactly what bureaurrates don't want to do. They are paid to manage, not to take risks.

What about:

"Scotland: On top of England - and there's nothing those bastards can do about it."

Crankyfeet said:
What about:

"Scotland: On top of England - and there's nothing those bastards can do about it."
ROFL!!!

I was thinking of

"If it's nae Scottish....it's crrrrrap!"

jhuskey said:
utter shite, a complete waste of money. I DID vote SNP but this is trully a waste of money. "The best small country in the world" was decided to be to negative, the use of the word "small" being the offending adjective in this case. Personally i liked the old slogan but what you gonna do?

MountainPro said:
utter shite, a complete waste of money. I DID vote SNP but this is trully a waste of money. "The best small country in the world" was decided to be to negative, the use of the word "small" being the offending adjective in this case. Personally i liked the old slogan but what you gonna do?

Bout time you replied. How about "smaller than some better than most"?
Tell them they can have that one at no charge.

OK, I am headed out to do at cat 1 climb. Ouchy!

scotland probably should have left well enough alone by just going with a tape loop of rentboy's rant about scotland from "trainspotting".

My next attempt:

Come to Scotland! I'm Dinna Ken Muckle Wouldna'

Which translates:

Come to Scotland! I don't know many who wouldn't