Seen elsewhere "Give cyclists room" car stickers

Simon Brooke wrote:
> Do you really think Carl Baxter cared a hoot whether there was a child in
> the trailer or not?

Possibly not. I /do/ know that, disgracefully, he claimed in his
defence that he didn't know there was a child in the trailer. That led
me to consider the possibility that there may very well be people out
there who don't know that such trailers are likely to contain children.

I'm sure there are plenty of motorists whose parents didn't cycle, and
who haven't been near a bike themselves since they were 10yo. How would
they know about child trailers? I probably wouldn't know about them, if
I wasn't a cyclist myself.

Subscribe to PlusNet <URL:http://www.colyer.plus.com/referral/>

(Don Whybrow) wrote:

> While taking our girls to swimming lessons last Saturday (in car, on a
> duel carriageway, no bikes involved) we had a yoof inna fast car
> tailgate us, undertake us and then brake in front of us.

That's why it's called a duel carriageway...

Sorry. Could not resist the temptation.

"triddletree" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Peter Clinch wrote:
>
>>> Indeed it does. The original idea behind the 'baby on board' sticker was
>>> a good one. In the case of car crash, it meant the fire crews knew to
>>> look for a child trapped in the wreckage.

>> Didn't realise that,

> It wasn't that at all.
>
> It was a marketing ploy to sell baby-related goods to drivers. The
> stickers were used as a means of providing advertising space for the
> various companies which produced them.
> The fire service came out straight away and said they *always* check a for
> occupants sticker or no sticker.

Ummmm.... ISTR there was a case or two where they didn't check hard enough
...... :eek:(
--
IanH

On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 20:34:34 +0000, Danny Colyer
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I'm sure there are plenty of motorists whose parents didn't cycle, and
>who haven't been near a bike themselves since they were 10yo. How would
>they know about child trailers? I probably wouldn't know about them, if
>I wasn't a cyclist myself.

I don't think I have ever seen one. I've seen kids on half-bikes
[what are these called?] towed behind Mum or Dad but I have never seen
a trailer like the one in your photo.

I'm not sure that seeing a child trailer would alter the way I drove -
it's either safe to pass or it isn't.

Judith

in message <[email protected]>, Don Whybrow
('[email protected]') wrote:

> They are going to going
> to serve him with a notice that if he is found to repeat this within 12
> months they will then confiscate his car. If he already has has one
> outstanding, they will just confiscate the car.

Most excellent! Three cheers for Lothian and Borders' finest!

The Conservative Party now has the support of a smaller proportion of
the electorate in Scotland than Sinn Fein have in Northern Ireland.

badger wrote:

> Hummm, just remember that doing so may mean he gets to know who informed
> on him, carelessly spread documents during an "interview" (reading
> things upside-down isn't difficult for the well practiced, BTDT) or
> through legal processes = your name and address & can equal his mates
> visiting for retribution.
> IMHO.

To be honest, the thought never crossed my mind. I was told that this
would not go to court and I would not be needed as a witness. I think it
would be a sad thing if I was more worried about possible retribution
than about seeing justice done.

I think my motto sums it up.

--
Don Whybrow

Sequi Bonum Non Time

People must not do things for fun. We are not here for fun.
There is no reference to fun in any Act of Parliament.

Danny Colyer wrote:

> I'm sure there are plenty of motorists whose parents didn't cycle, and
> who haven't been near a bike themselves since they were 10yo. How would
> they know about child trailers? I probably wouldn't know about them, if
> I wasn't a cyclist myself.

I'm a cyclist and I deduced what they were through common sense; the
first one I saw had big plastic windows, and seeing out is usually
unneccessary for the shopping. I suppose it's remotely possible that
it's a mobile tomato ripening enclosure, but Mr Occam and I came to the
conclusion that it was a child, or possibly pet, trailer instead.

R.

Judith wrote:

> I don't think I have ever seen one. I've seen kids on half-bikes
> [what are these called?] towed behind Mum or Dad ...

Trailer bikes.

> I'm not sure that seeing a child trailer would alter the way I drove -
> it's either safe to pass or it isn't.

Of course, but it's not you that Danny's concerned about.

--
Dave...

Simon Brooke wrote:
> in message <[email protected]>, Don Whybrow
> ('[email protected]') wrote:
>
> > They are going to going
> > to serve him with a notice that if he is found to repeat this within 12
> > months they will then confiscate his car. If he already has has one
> > outstanding, they will just confiscate the car.

> Most excellent! Three cheers for Lothian and Borders' finest!

Something doesn't sound quite right here. How can they confiscate a car
on the basis of complaints from members of the public. Surely they
would need some kind of court proceedings involving evidence, a
defence, and other sundry boring details?

--
Dave...

dkahn400 wrote:
> Simon Brooke wrote:
>
>>in message <[email protected]>, Don Whybrow
>>('[email protected]') wrote:
>>

>>> They are going to going
>>>to serve him with a notice that if he is found to repeat this within 12
>>>months they will then confiscate his car. If he already has has one
>>>outstanding, they will just confiscate the car.

>>Most excellent! Three cheers for Lothian and Borders' finest!

> Something doesn't sound quite right here. How can they confiscate a car
> on the basis of complaints from members of the public. Surely they
> would need some kind of court proceedings involving evidence, a
> defence, and other sundry boring details?

As it's under the ASBO Act (I imagine) then all that is needed is one
formal warning. See, eg,

http://news.scotsman.com/edinburgh.cfm?id=281452006

or

http://tinyurl.com/lnu7f

R.

Response to dkahn400:
> Something doesn't sound quite right here. How can they confiscate a car
> on the basis of complaints from members of the public. Surely they
> would need some kind of court proceedings involving evidence, a
> defence, and other sundry boring details?

ASBOs:

http://www.bordertelegraph.com/?module=displaystory&story_id=781
&format=html

or http://tinyurl.com/g4oyj if you prefer.

If abused, ASBOs can lead to dangerous infringements of civil liberty;
but this instance sounds to me potentially like a damned good idea.

--
Mark, UK
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist

Mark McNeill wrote:
> Response to dkahn400:
> > Something doesn't sound quite right here. How can they confiscate a car
> > on the basis of complaints from members of the public. Surely they
> > would need some kind of court proceedings involving evidence, a
> > defence, and other sundry boring details?

> ASBOs:
>
> http://www.bordertelegraph.com/?module=displaystory&story_id=781
> &format=html
>
> or http://tinyurl.com/g4oyj if you prefer.
>
> If abused, ASBOs can lead to dangerous infringements of civil liberty;
> but this instance sounds to me potentially like a damned good idea.

Aha! Thank you. Correct me if I'm wrong but this applies only in
Scotland's version of the Anti-Social Behaviour Act? In England and
Wales I think the police have similar powers under the Police Reform
Act. However, in both these cases I think (but am prepared to be
corrected) that the police need to catch the culprit in the act of
twuntish driving to make the confiscation following a warning.

While I'm delighted to see these idiots lose their cars, if only for a
day, I would be concerned if it could be done just on the say-so of one
or two people phoning in unsubstantiated complaints.

--
Dave...

Don Whybrow wrote:n

Dave Larrington wrote:

> It was touch and go whether he drove head-on into me, but at the last
> second he decided he didn't want my feet through his radiator and
> swerved left. The rider he was overtaking - I think it was Pat Hurt -
> was missed by inches, but it was clearly his fault as he shouldn't have
> been riding so slowly.

I think what Sir needs here is a "give cyclists rocket propelled
grenades" sticker

BTW having a nice break on Ascension Island? according to GG your posts
have been made on March 1 since mid morning ;-)

In article <[email protected]>,
MartinM ([email protected]) wrote:

> If I were you I'd send that into the Daily Mail (and also the Grauniad,
> where it might get printed)

Wot Martin said. I should like to include the super-twunty Golden Rule
Follower encountered in, I think, Edington on Saturday. The road is
narrow, but just about wide enough to overtake a cyclist IF nothing is
coming the other way. Car #1 pulls out to overtake cyclist, which he
does in a safe and responsible way. Car #2 does likewise. Car #3,
however, observes the Golden Rule even though he is quite unable to see
whether there is anything coming towards him, due to the inconveniently
opaque Car #2 in between him and the rest of England.

There was something approaching, viz. me.

It was touch and go whether he drove head-on into me, but at the last
second he decided he didn't want my feet through his radiator and
swerved left. The rider he was overtaking - I think it was Pat Hurt -
was missed by inches, but it was clearly his fault as he shouldn't have
been riding so slowly.

(seethes)

I'm just a primitive creature of the heath, so pardon my savage
ignorance.

"Don Whybrow" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> While taking our girls to swimming lessons last Saturday (in car, on a
> duel carriageway, no bikes involved) we had a yoof inna fast car tailgate
> us, undertake us and then brake in front of us. I called the police to
> report him as a dangerous and aggressive driver thinking that they might
> bother to go and give him a slap on the wrist. As it turns out they are
> going to do more than that. There is either a new law or interpretation of
> the law that they are actively using around here as the slap on the wrist
> approach is not working. They are going to going to serve him with a
> notice that if he is found to repeat this within 12 months they will then
> confiscate his car. If he already has has one outstanding, they will just
> confiscate the car.

One can but hope that the men & women in blue have put the fear of god in
the twunt.

Cheers, helen s

MartinM wrote:
> No connection with this at all but I like the idea;
>
> http://www.givecyclistsroom.co.uk/
>
> If anyone else wants one I could order a few and save p/p

Delivery for me was very quick. I did however not order enough of them.

On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 15:10:28 +0000, Chris Gerhard
<[email protected]> wrote:

>MartinM wrote:
>> No connection with this at all but I like the idea;
>>
>> http://www.givecyclistsroom.co.uk/
>>
>> If anyone else wants one I could order a few and save p/p
>>

>Delivery for me was very quick. I did however not order enough of them.

I sent an email asking for the price for 100. My email bounced. I
then changed the email link from info @ givecyclisesroom.co.uk to info
@ givecyclistsroom.co.uk and the email bounced again.
--
Let us have a moment of silence for all Americans who
are now stuck in traffic on their way to a health club

In article <[email protected]>,
MartinM ([email protected]) wrote:
> Dave Larrington wrote:
>
> > It was touch and go whether he drove head-on into me, but at the last
> > second he decided he didn't want my feet through his radiator and
> > swerved left. The rider he was overtaking - I think it was Pat Hurt -
> > was missed by inches, but it was clearly his fault as he shouldn't have
> > been riding so slowly.

> I think what Sir needs here is a "give cyclists rocket propelled
> grenades" sticker

More than one person has commented that the water bottles mounted near
the top of the trike's seat resemble missiles. I usually claim that
they are my anti-chav defences. Perhaps I should modify them so that
they ARE...

Frozen gorillas can be used to control the temperature of a warm and
stuffy room.