Straw poll: front brake lever position.

Michael Press

Guest
Would you all report the position of your front brake lever:
left or right? Thanks.

Right

--
Michael Press

Michael Press wrote:

> Would you all report the position of your front brake lever:
> left or right? Thanks.

Right x 6 (all six members of this family).

John

front left:
tight brake stabilizes bike when mounting from the non-grease side
right goes to rear for front rear deceleration balancing on variable
surfaces.
right rear for HD touring, rear grocery commuting.

but try right front for snow/Portland unloaded rack

On 2/15/2008 5:32 PM datakoll wrote:

> front left:
> tight brake stabilizes bike when mounting from the non-grease side
> right goes to rear for front rear deceleration balancing on variable
> surfaces.
> right rear for HD touring, rear grocery commuting.
>
> but try right front for snow/Portland unloaded rack

I'm with datakoll on this. Except for that snow thing -- we don't get that
stuff down here in the San Diego (CA) area.

--
Rocket J Squirrel

Michael Press wrote:

> Would you all report the position of your front brake lever

Two in the dining room. Two in the garage.

Thanks for asking!

Mike Rocket J Squirrel wrote:
> On 2/15/2008 5:32 PM datakoll wrote:
>

>> front left:
>> tight brake stabilizes bike when mounting from the non-grease side
>> right goes to rear for front rear deceleration balancing on variable
>> surfaces.
>> right rear for HD touring, rear grocery commuting.
>>
>> but try right front for snow/Portland unloaded rack

> I'm with datakoll on this. Except for that snow thing -- we don't get
> that stuff down here in the San Diego (CA) area.

Hell, dude, it snowed all over the county yesterday! (Alpine, Ramona, etc.
Didn't I hear ~2500 feet?)

Michael Press wrote:
> Would you all report the position of your front brake lever:
> left or right? Thanks.[...]

Right brake lever - right front wheel.
Left brake lever - left front wheel.
No brake - rear wheel.

See <http://www.flickr.com/photos/19704682@N08/1939609411/>.

Of my five (5) bicycles, all have a left-front and right-rear combination.

My push scooter only has a front brake, and the lever on the left.

Michael Press wrote:
> Would you all report the position of your front brake lever:
> left or right? Thanks.
>
> Right

Right x2.

Though here's an idea I'm toying with:
I kind of want to switch from downtube to bar-end shifters and put the
rear shifter on the left side. Since my wrist surgery, I've *needed*
the front brake to be on the right. So braking fast/hard makes shifting
down in the rear tricky.

\\paul
--
Paul M. Hobson
..:change the ph to f to reply:.

Michael Press wrote:
> Would you all report the position of your front brake lever:
> left or right? Thanks.
>
> Right

The Coriolis effect dictates a right side position or the bike won't
turn left.

Michael Baldwin wrote:
> Right x 6

I think this is double voting. The poll should be per person, since if
an owner is a rightsider on one bike, he'll be that way on all of them.
I think.

Tosspot said:
Michael Baldwin wrote:
> Right x 6

I think this is double voting. The poll should be per person, since if
an owner is a rightsider on one bike, he'll be that way on all of them.
I think.

Per your reasoning with that argument it would be hex voting rather than double.

An alternative one person one vote algorithm would to be divide the number of brakes per position a person has by the number of bikes that person has.

Michael Press said:
Would you all report the position of your front brake lever:
left or right? Thanks.

Right

--
Michael Press

I have about 20 bikes, all but two have the front brake lever on the left.
The other two have rear brakes only (my smallest folder has only coaster brake, my tadpole trike has only a rear brake activated by either the left or right joystick).

datakoll said:
front left:
tight brake stabilizes bike when mounting from the non-grease side
right goes to rear for front rear deceleration balancing on variable
surfaces.
right rear for HD touring, rear grocery commuting.

but try right front for snow/Portland unloaded rack

I had presumed the convention originated in UK for ease of hand signalling with the traffic adjacent right hand. Sheldon had indicated a preference for reversing the levers from convention in the US for ease of signalling.

Anyone know the origin?

meb wrote:
> Tosspot Wrote:
>> Michael Baldwin wrote:
>>> Right x 6
>>>

>> I think this is double voting. The poll should be per person, since
>> if
>> an owner is a rightsider on one bike, he'll be that way on all of
>> them.
>> I think.

> Per your reasoning with that argument it would be hex voting rather
> than double.
>
> An alternative one person one vote algorithm would to be divide the
> number of brakes per position a person has by the number of bikes that
> person has.

That gets my vote!

Frank wants a re-count!

>Michael Baldwin wrote:
>Right x 6
>I think this is double voting. The poll should be
>per person, since if an owner is a rightsider on
>one bike, he'll be that way on all of them.
>    I think.

....maybe I'm from Chicago :)....

Actually Frank I only recently converted everything over or back to
right side.

Example. On my 'cross mongrel I experimented with front on left. I
was trying to "kick" the rear of the bike up after dismounts with heavy
front brake application to facilitate shouldering. I think 20 years ago
I could have pulled this stunt off. (insert the ol'dog / new tricks
adage here)

Best Regards - Mike Baldwin

meb wrote:
> ...my tadpole trike has only a rear brake activated by
> either the left or right joystick).

Now that sounds like a scary arrangement!

My tadpole trike has a brake on each front wheel, and no rear brake.

Michael Press wrote:
> Would you all report the position of your front brake lever:
> left or right? Thanks.

LEFT on my three bikes, and on three other bikes in the fanily.

Art Harris