Supplements for Elites

athletekitch said:
Megadosing with vit C - even at your low levels of 1-2000mg - leads to symptoms of scurvy - bleeding gums and cracked lips - if stopped suddenly.

Yeah sure. When I'm not training I don't take much C at all, if any. Yet, by some miracle your little notion has never come true. Nor has it come true for anyone I know who does the same. Talk about "pseudo-science". Next.

WarrenG said:
Yeah sure. When I'm not training I don't take much C at all, if any. Yet, by some miracle your little notion has never come true. Nor has it come true for anyone I know who does the same.
Which begs the question "how good was your supplement?" Ive encountered this problem several times and indeed it has increased in recent months. Several clients were consuming 3000mg per day and reported scurvy symptoms when dose reduced to normal levels.

CatSpin said:
Racers who train hard, race fast and need to recover quckly...what do you take?

No comments about doping please, but if you fit the description above, I am trying to open a string that lists and debates the benefits of some of the supplements heralded beneficial by some cycling books and other manufacturers in the market. My latest research leads me to the following:

Multivitamins Strong in B's - General vits and minerals
Calcium and Magnesium - to prevent cramping
HMB and Tonalin - Lean muscle mass strength and support
Endurox R4 and Glutamine Peptides - Recovery
Whey Protein Shakes - recovery

but there are some other products such as,

Optigen - Oxygen intake booster
Ribose - sugar for training?
CMTs

....any good word on these?

Any fellow racers willing to discuss their "magic potions", lets here the good and bad experiences you have or had with supplements.

Tired of claims and looking for some good feedback,

CatSpin

PS - You either believe in taking supplement or you don't. If you don't please reserve your "no comments" to allow for room for an open discussion for athletes who feel that their performance will benefit with supplements.

PPS - Colnago posted a similar thread a couple of months ago but got no responses...hoping for better luck here.
Couple of things I do...

First I have a strict diet, I load carbs prior to workouts and eat accordingly afterwards.

As for suppliments I take branch-chained amino acids, L-glutamine, vitamin pack, N20 blast (just started so I don't have a lot of feedback yet). I also take glucosamine in addition to zinc/magnesium. So far with the building miles in progress my recovery has been VERY satisfactory even though the last time I raced Cat III was back in 1990 so I'm playing catch up!

There's another suppliment I am researching and I'll get you the info as soon as I finish getting more input. Good topic and I hope to get some info considering the fact that I'm a "returning" racer so it's going to be tough to get back to where I once was but it's a welcomed challenge.

athletekitch said:
Which begs the question "how good was your supplement?" Ive encountered this problem several times and indeed it has increased in recent months. Several clients were consuming 3000mg per day and reported scurvy symptoms when dose reduced to normal levels.

Keep dreaming. I've taken various brands of C of 1-2 grams daily during the last 10+ years I've been racing. Many, many others do the same without getting scurvy. Your "clients" were consuming more than that, and if they weren't active athletes in training maybe they weren't utilizing it the same way.

To train hard and recover I use:

1. A multivitamin
2. A protein supplement
3. Sorenzyme

My mutlivitamin is pretty strong - i like it because it's high in zinc, folic acid, b-vitamins and vitamin C. It also has ginseng and a bunch of other energy boosters in it.

For my protein supplement, I use a whey protein powder before and after training, and I use a protein blend for the rest of the day.

Sorenzyme is an anti-DOMS recovery enzyme supplement made by Labrada Nutrition. Since i've been taking this, I've noticed a HUGE increase in my recovery speed and I'm not nearly as sore as I used to be.

I take these supplements for my recovery and they work really well.

-Andy Jenkins

Chris410 said:
Couple of things I do...

First I have a strict diet, I load carbs prior to workouts and eat accordingly afterwards.

Too many carbs in the 1-2 hours before training can lead to higher levels of blood lactate during subsequent training. It takes more than 1-2 hours to store carbs as glycogen.

I will talk only about vitamins. I finish medic school so I have some credit to talk.
Human body use vit. for many stuff's. If you don't take vitamins as many as body needs you will go in hipo-vitaminosis, or if you take too much vitamins you can go in hyper-vitaminosis (this you can not do with vitamin C because body take him out with urine). The best you can do is to go to doctor for nutrition. He will take some examination of you mass and blood (also tell him you are cyclist) and he can make diet for you.

Viktor

WarrenG said:
Too many carbs in the 1-2 hours before training can lead to higher levels of blood lactate during subsequent training. It takes more than 1-2 hours to store carbs as glycogen.
I agree with you 100%...I eat 3 or sometimes 4 hours prior to an event and keep the amount of food specific especially prior to a race/during a race. Dinner the night before I will eat carbs and post race as well for recovery which is especially important in stage races. Although, the food is not strictly carbs I include protein as well in addition to properly rehydrating as well.

If I am racing a time-trial, I will usually eat earlier and a bit more since there are no feeding zones. My recommendation to anyone racing is develop a training and race diet and write yourself a schedule, it will help organize your pre-race and post race rituals. If you are not seeing gains or find yourself running low on energy make a training journal (which if you're serious you should be doing anyhow) to reference, it will help determine if the reason for a lack of gains is related to your training, diet, or other external factor.

I think some racers make the mistake of not putting enough time into their diet, my suggestion is read up on sports diets and develop a plan to work with your training.

I take a multivitamin high in Bs and Antioxidants, I also take a protein/Meal replacement shake twice a day, CLA (at the moment) and fish body oil, oh and greens+ whenever I feel brave enough. I've tried just about every supplement out there, creatine, arginine, glutamine, and all the specialty supplments that combine the three in some way shape or form. I work at GNC and get a ton of free stuff to try but for the most part I stick to the basics of nutrition. I easily consume around 2g of vit C per day, as well as ~800 - 1000IU of vit E.

ric_stern/RST said:
1 to 1.5 g carbohydrate per kg body mass after a ride with a small amount of protein (maybe 10 grams)

most of the stuff doesn't work

there's some evidence to support the idea of extra antioxidants after training (vits C, E, etc)

you shouldn't really need to take any extra vitamins and minerals, they should be consumed as part of the food you eat (there's a greater requirement for very hard training people to take more vits and mins, but this should be covered with the extra food they eat). however, i sometimes suggest a 100% multi vit and a multi min tablet as 'insurance' (but you'd have to eat a really **** diet to not get everything you need from food).

HMB has no good evidence. no idea what tonalin is. R4 has poor evidence to support it, and it's only the same as most mixed foods

there's no evidence that taking in extra whey/protein/amino is beneficial above the normal recommended amount (usually 1.2 to 1.6 g per kg body mass per day). you'd need a very bizarre diet to not meet this (e.g. you just ate sugar or oil or something else ridiculous)

not sure what CMTs are? there's no evidence yet for Optygen, but there is for one of it's ingredients (sodium phosphate) see http://cyclecoach.com/articles/?article=Phosphates&ext=.htm (but from memory the quantity of phosphate in Optygen is nowhere the same as in the study referenced)

probably best to just eat a good diet ensuring you consume the correct quantities of the various macronutrients for your energy levels. maybe some sodium phosphate for special events (or bicarbonate if you compete in short events < 10-mins), some caffeine and ensuring you are adequately fed and hydrated during training and racing.

ric

Good points.

Most training supplements offer nothing that is not present in large amounts in a balanced diet.

Pay attention to carbs during and after training.

You could buy a new bike with the money saved on supplements.

ive read articles stating the opposite for most nutrients. though i must admit i can hardly believe it, it depends on how the crops are grown, you can expect the nutrient levels to decline as their intensity of production increases
(time it took to produce the fruits and vegetables, + the amount grown in that time + the amount grown per hectare of land)
but maybe not.. any actual scientific trials on this: nutritive value vs productivity?

shortfuse said:
Fruits, vegetables not as nutritious as 50 years ago
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/health/261163_veggie01.html

our food is not supplying us like it once did

mitosis said:
So eat more of them. :rolleyes:

Still cheaper and more satisfying than supplements.

and given that most people don't have vitamin related deficiences and illness i'm not inclined to believe the previous post (which you were replying to)!

So, to reiterate what we've said before: most supplements are a waste of money, the fact that if you exercise hard you'll most likely increase your food intake and you get the extra vitamins and minerals that way. There's very few supplements that have been shown to have any ergogenic effect (e.g., caffeine, bicarbonate loading, sodium phosphate loading, etc).

The best supplements that people can take are most likely going to be a carbohydrate-electrolyte drink during training and racing.

Ric

ric_stern/RST said:
and given that most people don't have vitamin related deficiences and illness i'm not inclined to believe the previous post (which you were replying to)!

So, to reiterate what we've said before: most supplements are a waste of money, the fact that if you exercise hard you'll most likely increase your food intake and you get the extra vitamins and minerals that way. There's very few supplements that have been shown to have any ergogenic effect (e.g., caffeine, bicarbonate loading, sodium phosphate loading, etc).

The best supplements that people can take are most likely going to be a carbohydrate-electrolyte drink during training and racing.

Ric
I guess you are one of these people that thinks prescription drugs cure diseases too huh!!!!!
Whole food supplements are not a waste of money only synthetic supplements which are the ones normally used to discredit vitamins in general are used so the statement you made "So, to reiterate what we've said before: most supplements are a waste of money" is false. When you said
"and given that most people don't have vitamin related deficiences and illness"
There are deficiencies out there- they don't become apparant until you get a disease of some kind-

shortfuse said:
I guess you are one of these people that thinks prescription drugs cure diseases too huh!!!!!
Whole food supplements are not a waste of money only synthetic supplements which are the ones normally used to discredit vitamins in general are used so the statement you made "So, to reiterate what we've said before: most supplements are a waste of money" is false. When you said
"and given that most people don't have vitamin related deficiences and illness"
There are deficiencies out there- they don't become apparant until you get a disease of some kind-

Well, of course people *do* suffer from vitamin related deficiences, this is likely very apparent in third world countries. It's very unlikely to occur in most places where people will be viewing this forum (e.g., USA, UK, Europe, Australasia, etc), which is why i stated most people don't have vitamin related illnesses.

Perhaps, you could explain what "whole food supplements" are?

Ric

ric_stern/RST said:
Well, of course people *do* suffer from vitamin related deficiences, this is likely very apparent in third world countries. It's very unlikely to occur in most places where people will be viewing this forum (e.g., USA, UK, Europe, Australasia, etc), which is why i stated most people don't have vitamin related illnesses.

Perhaps, you could explain what "whole food supplements" are?

Ric
According to Taber's Medical Dictionary, vitamins are essential for normal metabolism, growth and life of the body.1 They are indispensable for the maintenance of health. Up until now there has been some controversy regarding the necessity to supplement vitamins back into the diet. The Journal of American Medical Association concluded from a study that every individual should take a multivitamin everyday, thus ending that controversy.2

1. Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary, Edition 16. F.A. Davis Company: Philadelphia,1989, p. 2000.
2. JAMA 2002; 287:3116.

Vitamins are found in food, and just because current growing and processing methods have depleted the vitamins available from our foods, it does not mean that we should come up with new-fangled ways to get these micronutrients from some other source. Instead, we should look for a way to get more of the safe, effective vitamins that are available only from foods.
Let me explain by using vitamin C as an example. Ascorbic acid is often sold as vitamin C, and yet it is only a chemically derived fraction of the whole food vitamin. As it is found in food, vitamin C is a complete complex which is actually made up of ascorbic acid plus rutin, bioflavonoids, K factor and J factors - as well as other substances that no human experiment has been able to replicate. You must have all of these fractions in order for the Vitamin to be complete.

_20030402161022.jpg

In order for the body to absorb and use a vitamin, all of the parts of the complex must be present. That means that in order to use the fractionated form of the vitamin, the body must first supply the other parts of the whole food complex. If ascorbic acid alone is ingested, the body must complete the complex by robbing its own collagen tissue of the elements that are missing in the "vitamin C" you supplied.

When evaluating a vitamin supplement, you can simply read the label. Rather than multi-syllable, unpronounceable chemical names, you should find the names of foods listed as the vitamin sources.

Remember, next to the name of any vitamin, if you don't see a name of a food or an asterisk leading you to a place on the label that tells you the food source of the vitamins, you are more than likely looking at an inexpensive, processed vitamin that is stripped of all other compounds that are normally present with vitamins that are found in fruits and vegetables.

All information gathered from The Greatest Vitamin in the World website. Hope this helps explain whole food vitamins.
If you need to chat further send me an e-mail at [email protected]

shortfuse said:
According to Taber's Medical Dictionary, vitamins are essential for normal metabolism, growth and life of the body.1 They are indispensable for the maintenance of health. Up until now there has been some controversy regarding the necessity to supplement vitamins back into the diet. The Journal of American Medical Association concluded from a study that every individual should take a multivitamin everyday, thus ending that controversy.2

1. Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary, Edition 16. F.A. Davis Company: Philadelphia,1989, p. 2000.
2. JAMA 2002; 287:3116.

Vitamins are found in food, and just because current growing and processing methods have depleted the vitamins available from our foods, it does not mean that we should come up with new-fangled ways to get these micronutrients from some other source. Instead, we should look for a way to get more of the safe, effective vitamins that are available only from foods.
Let me explain by using vitamin C as an example. Ascorbic acid is often sold as vitamin C, and yet it is only a chemically derived fraction of the whole food vitamin. As it is found in food, vitamin C is a complete complex which is actually made up of ascorbic acid plus rutin, bioflavonoids, K factor and J factors - as well as other substances that no human experiment has been able to replicate. You must have all of these fractions in order for the Vitamin to be complete.

_20030402161022.jpg

In order for the body to absorb and use a vitamin, all of the parts of the complex must be present. That means that in order to use the fractionated form of the vitamin, the body must first supply the other parts of the whole food complex. If ascorbic acid alone is ingested, the body must complete the complex by robbing its own collagen tissue of the elements that are missing in the "vitamin C" you supplied.

When evaluating a vitamin supplement, you can simply read the label. Rather than multi-syllable, unpronounceable chemical names, you should find the names of foods listed as the vitamin sources.

Remember, next to the name of any vitamin, if you don't see a name of a food or an asterisk leading you to a place on the label that tells you the food source of the vitamins, you are more than likely looking at an inexpensive, processed vitamin that is stripped of all other compounds that are normally present with vitamins that are found in fruits and vegetables.

All information gathered from The Greatest Vitamin in the World website. Hope this helps explain whole food vitamins.
If you need to chat further send me an e-mail at [email protected]

I don't think anyone is arguing the value of vitamins and minerals.

If you eat a balanced diet you will have much more than recommended daily intake of every vitamin and mineral.

Which means if you are buying and consuming extra water soluble vitamins (like C) you are paying good money to put vitamin C in your urine.

Some people who have diseases that affect their ability to absorb vitamins (like coeliacs disease) or who lose minerals in excess of normal (like women who have heavy periods lose more iron than normal) may benefit from supplements but in general they are unnecessary.

mitosis said:
I don't think anyone is arguing the value of vitamins and minerals.

If you eat a balanced diet you will have much more than recommended daily intake of every vitamin and mineral.

Which means if you are buying and consuming extra water soluble vitamins (like C) you are paying good money to put vitamin C in your urine.

Some people who have diseases that affect their ability to absorb vitamins (like coeliacs disease) or who lose minerals in excess of normal (like women who have heavy periods lose more iron than normal) may benefit from supplements but in general they are unnecessary.
Whole food vitamins get absorbed by the body. PERIOD!!!!!!
There is no more that I can tell you-Without getting a huge chip on my shoulder for ones that don't seem to GET IT. I am not a health nut but I do BELIEVE that knowledge of whole food vitamins scares most people out of their wits - because of what I am reading in these forums. The Greatest Vitamin in the World has been around for almost four years and has helped thousands of people who for some reason or another just happen TO GET IT. Sorry you don't!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Serbian_SPIRIT said:
I will talk only about vitamins. I finish medic school so I have some credit to talk.
Human body use vit. for many stuff's. If you don't take vitamins as many as body needs you will go in hipo-vitaminosis, or if you take too much vitamins you can go in hyper-vitaminosis (this you can not do with vitamin C because body take him out with urine). The best you can do is to go to doctor for nutrition. He will take some examination of you mass and blood (also tell him you are cyclist) and he can make diet for you.

Viktor
Again whole food vitamins do not cause either of these two problems- Your body uses and utilizes whole food vitamins like it does food!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Greatest Vitamin in the World website will tell you this as well as other things such as what enzymes do for the body, amino acid chelated minerals, and such things as probiotics (good bacteria) does for the body. To discredit anything that I mention while I am in this thread will meet resistance because I know that most people will not change eating habits which makes THIS VITAMIN the one to take if change is not in your future............
Sorry, this vitamin is only available to US residents and Canada
I hope this will change soon.......................................