TDF 2006 : Prologue : Strasbourg : 7kms

limerickman

Jan 5, 2004
Two days time the 2006 TDF kicks off with a Prologue TT in Strasbourg covering
7kms.

Will Basso try to go for an early Yellow Jersey?
Will Ullrich go for the win?
Perhaps Valverde.
Or David Millar who has targetted this stage on his first appearance after his two year ban.

Floor's open.

A few weeks ago I'd have said Cancellara followed by McGee.
Now I have to agree and say Zabriskie.

These days Ullrich seems to start his time trials a little slowly and ramp up speed as he goes. With all the corners it is not the ideal course for Ullrich. I don't think he will win.

Miller has got to be hoping for a good result. A win would be a huge step in putting the past behind him. With no racing experience for two years I have my doubts he can get to the top purely on training.

Zab is the obvious pick; but for the win I am going with Savoldelli, who might want to prove to the rest of his team that he is the one that should be supported--not the pretenders like Hincapie.

I expect Landis to make a large step up in form since the Dauphine and to post a really good result.

limerickman said:
Two days time the 2006 TDF kicks off with a Prologue TT in Strasbourg covering
7kms.

Will Basso try to go for an early Yellow Jersey?
Will Ullrich go for the win?
Perhaps Valverde.
Or David Millar who has targetted this stage on his first appearance after his two year ban.

Floor's open.
Surely Zabriskie. He won the prologue and the ITT at the Dauphine against strong competition (eg. Landis, Leipheimer, Hincapie, Popovych, Valverde, O'Grady etc etc).

The Prologue at the Dauphine was completely STRAIGHT. There was one U-turn in the whole race. This suited the time trialing style of Zabriskie. This is a more technical course. This could be a good course for Hincapie. Paulo, well his form is unknown. I'd say something along the lines of

Hincapie
Zabriskie
Savoldelli
Miller
Hushovd- yea that's right. Hushovd
Valverde

Zabriskie is a good choice; however, take a look at the Giro prologue, it was short and fairly technical. This one is no different. I feel Savoldelli will be hard to beat.

Maybe Bradley Wiggins.
At the beginning of the season he said this prologue is his main goal of the whole season. He wants to be the first cyclist to wear the yellow jersey after Armstrong. But he didn't show much form at the Dauphine.

I thought I was going to be the first to tip Zabriskie and about ten of you already have. Although I really think it might be JU throwing down the gauntlet. If he's in the race...

Great suggestions so far : Zabriskie's an obvious favourite.

But Bradley Wiggins is a very astute selection.

Mtventoux said:
Dave Zeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
Brad Wiggins will lose by over 15 seconds.
My bold prediction.
The transfer from track to road can take a while.

This is a tuff one. A GC contender is not going to pickup much time in a 7kms prolog but I think small amounts of time will add up this year. I think the course is a little too long to be effective for the sprinters and yet too short for the all rounders like Jan and Landis and Salvo.

I think Levi might take this one.

The blokes Wiggins and Millar will do well too.

I would laugh my ass off if Rassmusen rakes everbody.:D

lw

I think, I hope, that either Millar or Wiggins will hit top three. GB's best chance of a pro tour point!!!

Dimos said:
It's Millar time...
I hope he does take it. It could be a new chapter in cycling following today's mess to then have the only person to admit doping and accept his punishment ride in the yellow jersey (at least for a day or 2).