That red light business

Colin McKenzie

Guest
Scene: quietish signalled crossroads, pedestrian phase.
Three cyclists waiting at red lights, on different arms.

North-south light goes green. Two cyclists set off, straight on, and
immediately get overtaken too close because they were waiting right by
the kerb.

No wonder cyclists run red lights if this is their experience if they
don't.

The third cyclist was me, I was in the middle of the lane. I didn't
get overtaken until well past the junction, and I was given enough space.

How do we convince regular cyclists that training would do them good?

Colin McKenzie

--
No-one has ever proved that cycle helmets make cycling any safer at
the population level, and anyway cycling is about as safe per mile as

"Colin McKenzie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> North-south light goes green. Two cyclists set off, straight on, and
> immediately get overtaken too close because they were waiting right by the
> kerb.

One does not have to be close to the kerb to be overtaken too closely by
motorised vehicles. Determined motorists will do their utmost to get past
no matter what one is riding/driving even if it means leaving their paint on
your choice of transport.....

> No wonder cyclists run red lights if this is their experience if they
> don't.

A non-sequiteur I think.

> The third cyclist was me, I was in the middle of the lane. I didn't get
> overtaken until well past the junction, and I was given enough space.

I nearly always get enough space at minor and major junctions. I rarely
bother seizing 'my lane'. There again I have the bulk to be able to offer
slipstreaming facilities to artics albeit at low speeds ;-)

> How do we convince regular cyclists that training would do them good?

By incorporating it into the school curriculum and reap the benefits later
on i.e. all future motorists will have experienced cycle training first and
be aware of rights and responsibilities on the road for all road users.

Colin McKenzie wrote:
> Scene: quietish signalled crossroads, pedestrian phase.
> Three cyclists waiting at red lights, on different arms.
>
> North-south light goes green. Two cyclists set off, straight on, and
> immediately get overtaken too close because they were waiting right by
> the kerb.
>
> No wonder cyclists run red lights if this is their experience if they
> don't.
>
> The third cyclist was me, I was in the middle of the lane. I didn't
> get overtaken until well past the junction, and I was given enough
> space.

Kerbs are useful if you like to remain seated at stops. The way to use them
safely is to stop in front of the stop line and accelerate faster than
everyone else when the lights change, pulling out from the kerb as you do
so.

> How do we convince regular cyclists that training would do them good?

My method wouldn't be tought to anyone :)

~PB

Pete Biggs <[email protected]> whizzed
past me shouting

>Kerbs are useful if you like to remain seated at stops. The way to use them
>safely is to stop in front of the stop line and accelerate faster than
>everyone else when the lights change, pulling out from the kerb as you do
>so.
>
>> How do we convince regular cyclists that training would do them good?

>My method wouldn't be tought to anyone :)

I do that at some junctions. I adapt my approach to the individual
needs of each junction.* You don't need a training course to do that,
but you do need spare brain time. Two cyclists at an unfamiliar
junction are likely to be giving more attention to each other than a
lone commuter.

Wouldn't it be nice if any one strategy was always at least safe?

*For instance, I don't wait for the traffic lights that everyone knows
never turn green for cyclists. One of these is on a dedicated cycle
crossing!

--
Sue ]:(:)

Neighbourhood Witch

On 02/12/2007 20:35, Sue White said,

> *For instance, I don't wait for the traffic lights that everyone knows
> never turn green for cyclists. One of these is on a dedicated cycle
> crossing!

Got one of those in Weston - at the end of a cyclepath! The sensor is
actually designed for cars that also use a short section for access, but
it comes out onto a T-junction with absolutely *no* provision for peds
or cyclists to get across.

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

vernon <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Colin McKenzie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > North-south light goes green. Two cyclists set off, straight on, and
> > immediately get overtaken too close because they were waiting right by the
> > kerb.

> One does not have to be close to the kerb to be overtaken too closely by
> motorised vehicles. Determined motorists will do their utmost to get past
> no matter what one is riding/driving even if it means leaving their paint on
> your choice of transport.....

depends how you ride i guess, it's rare for rest of traffic to catch me
up before i've exited the junctions. though it's true do get the odd
cretin who will try to squeeze though.

> > No wonder cyclists run red lights if this is their experience if they
> > don't.

> A non-sequiteur I think.
> >
> > The third cyclist was me, I was in the middle of the lane. I didn't get
> > overtaken until well past the junction, and I was given enough space.

> I nearly always get enough space at minor and major junctions. I rarely
> bother seizing 'my lane'. There again I have the bulk to be able to offer
> slipstreaming facilities to artics albeit at low speeds ;-)
> >
> > How do we convince regular cyclists that training would do them good?

> By incorporating it into the school curriculum and reap the benefits later
> on i.e. all future motorists will have experienced cycle training first and
> be aware of rights and responsibilities on the road for all road users.

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com

Pete Biggs <[email protected]> wrote:

> Colin McKenzie wrote:
> > Scene: quietish signalled crossroads, pedestrian phase.
> > Three cyclists waiting at red lights, on different arms.
> >
> > North-south light goes green. Two cyclists set off, straight on, and
> > immediately get overtaken too close because they were waiting right by
> > the kerb.
> >
> > No wonder cyclists run red lights if this is their experience if they
> > don't.
> >
> > The third cyclist was me, I was in the middle of the lane. I didn't
> > get overtaken until well past the junction, and I was given enough
> > space.

> Kerbs are useful if you like to remain seated at stops. The way to use them
> safely is to stop in front of the stop line and accelerate faster than
> everyone else when the lights change, pulling out from the kerb as you do
> so.

on my about town bike i can normally get a toe down, quite a few have
left filters. i do see folk advancing past the stop line, though they
don't tend to use it to much use, i allways sail past them on my great
big heavy lump of a bike.

> > How do we convince regular cyclists that training would do them good?

> My method wouldn't be tought to anyone :)
>
> ~PB

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com

"Sue White" <[email protected]> wrote

[snip]

> *For instance, I don't wait for the traffic lights that everyone
> knows never turn green for cyclists. One of these is on a
> dedicated cycle crossing!

Perhaps a letter is in order to whoever is in charge of those lights.
Surely the Council should not be actively **training** people to run
red lights.

If that doesn't work, more letters, to local Councillors, or the
local paper, might help

Jeremy Parker