The Thread about Nothing....

I am a wikipedia of cycling terms/img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif. Only just taping in.

Originally Posted by Jono L .

I am a wikipedia of cycling terms/img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif. Only just taping in.
Could have some awesome belgie race names

GP Stad Zottegem

KermesseCross

Kerbergen

Brabantjse Pihl

Ronde van something or Vlanderen

Halle Ingoigem (spelling..)

Havenpihl

Overisein

Geraardsbergen Stadsprijs

Kortemark

Ruddervorde

Bochum

The Bonk. Criterium Des n Daphne's Coffee Shop. Ronde van vaders vagina Toe strap-on the rivet

Originally Posted by VadarStrikesBack .

Quote: Originally Posted by paulambry .

Moving Pikchors

Ambo do you think 'apedalfile' is a bit too creepy? I think its **** funny and golden but only thing that worries me is some people might not get the humour and avoid being interviewed because 'it all seems a bit creepy'....also it feels a bit more like a 'blog' title than a serious 'publication'. I still think its hilariously brilleont.

I think it's witty and clever +1000 and I lauged out loud when I read it, but like Ma, I think there are some things that for many folk are just 'no go' areas.

I do like any name that doesn't include direct cycling references. 'Velo' is banned for sure. Same with 'cyclo'. I do love some of Jono's, specially Latern Rouge. But here's my take: rather than restricting the title to a subject matter, perhaps it should open a door to an approach, an attitude, a viewpoint or disposition. **** Yeah. Wake Up. Ecoute! Check This. Or perhaps something entirely random and silly. Can't think of anything just now though. Too farked from last night.

krikee jono you are an ideas machine!

Some good stuff there. I could see us using some of those as internal subtitles but I think the title of the publication needs to convey a sense of integrity and reverence commensurate to the depth and scope of the content we will produce. We also need to be able to defend it from an intellectual property perspective. As you suggest we may need to take a word from a European language that has an 'insiders' reference to cycling.

Does anyone have any input of what would be an appropriate publication tempo? I thought if we had 10-15 contributors (not everyone has to be a writer) we could sustain a quarterly digital publication without 'overloading' people with work (i.e keep it fun without onerous deadlines to produce content). My thought was to then collate each years quarterly digital content and produce an 'Annual' in print (short run <100 copies hardcover). Include the original digital articles plus extra content (images/commentary/behind scenes etc).

Anyway some food for thought.

Edit: Just saw your follow up jono. Agree some of those races names are sick.

Also before I go (its perfect blue skys no wind and the road is calling me...) do you have the time to write a serious article (from time to time) pertaining to medical issues afflicting cyclists Tagsi? Not talking about a 'skim the surface' nonsense you might find in Ride mag but I'm talking about a 'listen the fcuk up I'm a proper doctor and this is exactly what we know about this issue' article.

ALso Tigger do you think you can find time (once or twice a year) to pick an issue that you like or is giving you the ***** pertaining to bike design and/or construction and write a 'listen up cnuts this is poojabber and needs to be sorted out' article?

Yeah I can do that, it won't be many though coz next year and the year after are both exam years for me so I will have other priorities but I'll give it a crack.

Something Euro.

Kermesse would be a good name.

Wielertrophy

Wielerrennen

Godverdome

Kledhammer

TANBergen

GPM (Gran Premio Montagne)
LOL. I said Godverdomme to a dutch woman at work and she farkin freaked.

How about some more cultural cringe options?

bordure
Jour sans
Chute
à bloc
chasse patate
demarrage

Something less exotic:
the hubbard
the handsling
second scratch
Jam (really old school term for an attacking period during a race)

Originally Posted by classic1 .

bordure
Jour sans
Chute
à bloc
chasse patate
demarrage

Something less exotic:
the hubbard
the handsling
second scratch

YES YES YES!!!!!! YEEES! That is IT. IITTT best term EVAA

Quote: Originally Posted by classic1 .

bordure
Jour sans
Chute
à bloc
chasse patate
demarrage

Something less exotic:
the hubbard
the handsling
second scratch

YES YES YES!!!!!! YEEES! That is IT. IITTT best term EVAA

It was was my personal favourite too, with Jour Sans and à bloc coming in behind. The Jam sort of works for me too, but it might be too obscure or old. You still hear really old cnuts use it when they are telling stories from the olden days.

Lantern Rouge - sounds like the high end variant of HED wheels as well as the usual red flag with 1km to go...

Contra La Montre

Pulling off, bonking and sucking wheels...

Road rash.

Spuds out and on the rivet.

Vado troppo veloce per te? (Am I riding too fast for you?)

Basta! (Enough)

Originally Posted by matagi .

Whilst I agree The Pedal File is quite clever, I don't think using it would be in the best taste.

Putting a bit of a twist on one of beebers suggestions ..... how about Cyclopath? Or Cyclopatter?

The Feed Zone?

Musette?
http://videosift.com/video/Cupid-Stunt-and-its-all-done-in-the-best-possible-taste