Tip of the day

Tapeworm said:
Yep, but overall power drops, when "pedalling in circles" (for the same metabolic cost).Some associated reading http://www.plan2peak.com/files/32_article_JMartinCrankLengthPedalingTechnique.pdf

Best just to go with what feels good. The belief that there is a magic style of pedalling or crank or whatever seems to be ingrained to cycling. Studies have found training, and lots of it, seems to have the best improvements to performance ;)

This data is targeted primarily at sprints and their efficiencies.

If you are in group or even riding solo and you find that your front derauiller is mis-adjusted and dropping the chain when shifting Well before staring a climb shift up two on your rear cassette and drop to the small ring on the front. This will put you in approximately the same gear ratio and will give you time to compensate in case you drop the chain before the hill. It is not a pleasant thing dropping a chain on a hard climb with someone on your wheel and it can happen to anyone. It is much easier to shift up to re-engage the chain on a flat.

jhuskey said:
If you are in group or even riding solo and you find that your front derauiller is mis-adjusted and dropping the chain when shifting Well before staring a climb shift up two on your rear cassette and drop to the small ring on the front. This will put you in approximately the same gear ratio and will give you time to compensate in case you drop the chain before the hill. It is not a pleasant thing dropping a chain on a hard climb with someone on your wheel and it can happen to anyone. It is much easier to shift up to re-engage the chain on a flat.

+1, very true, you avoid the moment where your chain comes off and you almost fall on your face because of the pressure on the cranks. If the FD is acting up, it's alot easier for the chain to slip off and that's never any good.

I've been having a problem when pulling the bicycle pump from the tube, the tubes going flat, breaking right at the valve from the inside as the grip from the pump is tight. I looked on the inside of the rim and sure enough the rim tape was moved over from the hole of the tube valve just enough so as metal was showing just enough to rub on the tube thus causing my flats after pumping the tube to full inflation. I've fixed this problem by putting two layers, two being better than one, of electrical tape over the hole and poking a hole through the tape where the valve of the tube goes through with a pen and then putting a tube in, the tape acting like a barrier between the metal of the inside of the rim and the tube so the tube can no longer be scored by the metal. It works for me and if you aren't in need of new rim tape altogether, I'd suspect that this fix be universal.

Happy riding.

Ride with the sun at your back and your shadow on the white line.
You can watch your head, shoulders, and hips.
If they swing, sway, rock or bounce you might need to lower your seat or work on your pedal stroke...or both.

If you're riding along and want to pass wind (fart basically) get off the seat and pedal standing up while you expell the gases.
This will ease their exit no end;) but it can be slightly embarrasing when riding in a bunch as most will know what you've done - especially if it's a noisy fart:eek:

BBB:)

Bigbananabike said:
If you're riding along and want to pass wind (fart basically) get off the seat and pedal standing up while you expell the gases.
This will ease their exit no end;) but it can be slightly embarrasing when riding in a bunch as most will know what you've done - especially if it's a noisy fart:eek:

BBB:)

Just look at the guy next to you and roll yours eyes. This will direct the guilt toward him.

jhuskey said:
Just look at the guy next to you and roll yours eyes. This will direct the guilt toward him.
Kinda hard when riding a paceline and you are pulling.

If you ride clipless, make sure your bolts are tight on your kleets before you go riding every time

...i had one fall out yesterday is why LOL...

If your girlfriend in on that period of the month you're better on a bike down a nasty hill than at home.

ScottCR1TeaM said:
If you ride clipless, make sure your bolts are tight on your kleets before you go riding every time

...i had one fall out yesterday is why LOL...

I definitely support this. I had a baseplate come loose on one of my speedplay cleats, but I didn't notice at first. The result was my foot was sliding forward and backward during my pedal stroke, however this was imperceptible. I didn't discover the loose screws until my hamstring was injured from overextension after only a few rides. It took a solid month of easy/no riding to recover. Don't let this happen to you :(

I now get lots of riding in while I play video games or use my laptop.
I put a Spin Desk on my bike and get plenty of riding in on my trainer.
This device lets you secure a laptop on for hands free riding. I am on mine now.
Great way to ride more.:D

Can you give me (and all others who are most likely interested in this) a link or a better description of this product that actaully gets google results? Interested in this "Spin desk":rolleyes: