Too young to be a retrogrouch?

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 19:06:38 -0500, Bob Wheeler wrote:

> Bicycle frames reached the peak of perfection with carefully lugged
> Reynold's 531 and equivalent tubing.

Nonsense. Speaking as the owner of two such frames.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Some people used to claim that, if enough monkeys sat in front
_`\(,_ | of enough typewriters and typed long enough, eventually one of
(_)/ (_) | them would reproduce the collected works of Shakespeare. The
internet has proven this not to be the case.

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 00:13:47 GMT, "Mike Jacoubowsky"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>>I 'm 34, and I ride with a group of guys around my age--some younger, some
>> older. I am the only one riding a steel bike in a sea of oversized
>> aluminum,
>> titanium, and carbon fiber. After our last ride we got on to the subject
>> of
>> dream bikes. The usuals came up---Litespeeds, Colnagos, Trek 5900s, etc. I
>> mentioned that I would rather ride a custom lugged Waterford, a Richard
>> Sachs, or a Rivendell, and they all pegged me with the "retrogrouch"
>> moniker. Does it make one a "retrogrouch" to want to own a bike that's
>> handcrafted by an artisan?

>Perhaps the "grouch" part comes from your assumption that a Colnago, Trek or
>Litespeed isn't handcrafted by an artisan. I know of many people in
>Waterloo, WI (home of Trek) that would be mildly offended by the idea that
>something that many of them have been doing for 10+ years, with a great
>amount of skill and care, qualifies them as nothing more, in some eyes, than
>a mindless automaton.

{remainder of Mike's good points snipped for brevity}

I read the OP with an emphasis on the "custom lugged ... handcrafted"
part. Not that there isn't good workmanship in the bigger producers'
shops, but all the work that goes into a Trek, for example, also has
to go into a Rivendell, also for example. But there's some custom
work I'd expect out of a Rivendell that probably doesn't happen in the
Trek production line: design work for a custom Rivendell that's
amortized over a few thousand identical bikes on the Trek line; more
labor-intensive tube cutting and mitering for the custom bike; perhaps
there's still some lug cleanup that has to be done by hand that you
obviously don't do for a bike without lugs. And while some of the
Treks have some nice paint jobs, I haven't seen any mass produced
bikes from the last few years that have the beautiful pinstriping
around the lugs that some of the custom bikes have.

So yes, there's some good work that goes on in a production line. But
I don't know that's quite enough to beat the cachet of full custom.

(What the heck, he mutters, we haven't had a good flame war for a
week.) Can we start to label people who get grouchy in favor of new
techniques and methods as "neo-grouches?" :)

Pat

Email address works as is.

"Tom Keats" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> maxo <[email protected]> writes:
>
> > Nice!
> >
> > They stock my dream city bike:
> >
> > http://www.bikespecialties.com/marip_customcity.html

> Very sharp and useful, without looking too boringly 'sensible'.
> I like it, right down to the Mavics.
>
> > And I wish I were a short gal so I could get on of these (check out the
> > butterflies on the fork crown!)
> >
> > http://www.bikespecialties.com/marip_petite.html

> Oh, man! The headlight integrated with the fender! Beauty.
> I've been looking for something just like that.

Tom, while you're dripping in here about sensible bikes and
headlights, us big guys are discussing Ferrari 612 Scagliettis
and BMW Z4 Roadsters in another thread.

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 22:35:23 GMT, Chris Neary <[email protected]
> wrote:

>Only if you plan to equip it with friction shifting and toe clips.

I have just such equipment now. If I install bar-end shifters, will I
lose my status. I'm not worried about the age part, it's too late to
die young.

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 23:42:57 GMT, "Fabrizio Mazzoleni"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Tom, you obviously have no idea just what Turismo really means.

Of course we do. It's Omsirut spelt backward.

Thought you could fool us, did you?

Gooserider wrote:
> I 'm 34, and I ride with a group of guys around my age--some younger, some
> older. I am the only one riding a steel bike in a sea of oversized aluminum,
> titanium, and carbon fiber. After our last ride we got on to the subject of
> dream bikes. The usuals came up---Litespeeds, Colnagos, Trek 5900s, etc. I
> mentioned that I would rather ride a custom lugged Waterford, a Richard
> Sachs, or a Rivendell, and they all pegged me with the "retrogrouch"
> moniker. Does it make one a "retrogrouch" to want to own a bike that's
> handcrafted by an artisan?

IMVAIO, a true retrogrouch is someone who rejects positive advancements,
such as hyperglide, indexed shifting, brifters, etc.

There should be a more positive term for someone who wisely rejects
changes that have been made solely for the benefit of the bottom line of
the manufacturer, but that worsen the actual product, i.e. "compact"
frames, aluminum tubing, and threadless headsets. At a time when most
bicycle manufacturers are in a race to the bottom, the customers that
patronize the few remaining good companies, such as Rivendell, deserve a
better label.

In article <pM7vd.498288$%k.95318@pd7tw2no>,
"Fabrizio Mazzoleni" <[email protected]> writes:

> Tom, while you're dripping in here about sensible bikes and
> headlights, us big guys are discussing Ferrari 612 Scagliettis
> and BMW Z4 Roadsters in another thread.

I bet my bike can carry more tools for work than either of those.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

"Pat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Gooserider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> : I 'm 34, and I ride with a group of guys around my age--some younger,

some
> : older. I am the only one riding a steel bike in a sea of oversized
> aluminum,
> : titanium, and carbon fiber. After our last ride we got on to the subject
> of
> : dream bikes. The usuals came up---Litespeeds, Colnagos, Trek 5900s, etc.

> : mentioned that I would rather ride a custom lugged Waterford, a Richard
> : Sachs, or a Rivendell, and they all pegged me with the "retrogrouch"
> : moniker. Does it make one a "retrogrouch" to want to own a bike that's
> : handcrafted by an artisan?
>
> No, there's something you left out of your story. Besides, what does the
> word "grouch" have to do with custom bicycles?
>
> Pat in TX

In my view, the word "grouch" applies to my attitude that I would lose
interest in cycling if I were to hang a mass produced disposable plastic or
welded-in-ten-minutes bicycle in my garage.
I enjoy owning and riding my Waterford and expect it to last longer than I
do.

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (Tom Keats) writes:
> In article <pM7vd.498288$%k.95318@pd7tw2no>,
> "Fabrizio Mazzoleni" <[email protected]> writes:
>
>> Tom, while you're dripping in here about sensible bikes and
>> headlights, us big guys are discussing Ferrari 612 Scagliettis
>> and BMW Z4 Roadsters in another thread.

> I bet my bike can carry more tools for work than either of those.

But I suppose you could stick trailer hitches on 'em.

cheers again,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

"Steven M. Scharf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Gooserider wrote:
> > I 'm 34, and I ride with a group of guys around my age--some younger,

some
> > older. I am the only one riding a steel bike in a sea of oversized

aluminum,
> > titanium, and carbon fiber. After our last ride we got on to the subject

of
> > dream bikes. The usuals came up---Litespeeds, Colnagos, Trek 5900s, etc.

> > mentioned that I would rather ride a custom lugged Waterford, a Richard
> > Sachs, or a Rivendell, and they all pegged me with the "retrogrouch"
> > moniker. Does it make one a "retrogrouch" to want to own a bike that's
> > handcrafted by an artisan?

> IMVAIO, a true retrogrouch is someone who rejects positive advancements,
> such as hyperglide, indexed shifting, brifters, etc.
>
> There should be a more positive term for someone who wisely rejects
> changes that have been made solely for the benefit of the bottom line of
> the manufacturer, but that worsen the actual product, i.e. "compact"
> frames, aluminum tubing, and threadless headsets. At a time when most
> bicycle manufacturers are in a race to the bottom, the customers that
> patronize the few remaining good companies, such as Rivendell, deserve a
> better label.

You ought to put that as a signature on the bottom of every e-mail and post
you send out. Well said!

| There should be a more positive term for someone who wisely rejects
| changes that have been made solely for the benefit of the bottom line of
| the manufacturer, but that worsen the actual product, i.e. "compact"
| frames, aluminum tubing, and threadless headsets. At a time when most
| bicycle manufacturers are in a race to the bottom, the customers that
| patronize the few remaining good companies, such as Rivendell, deserve a
| better label. |Steven M. Scharf

Sun, 12 Dec 2004 19:35:15 -0800, <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (Tom Keats) wrote:

>>> Tom, while you're dripping in here about sensible bikes and
>>> headlights, us big guys are discussing Ferrari 612 Scagliettis
>>> and BMW Z4 Roadsters in another thread.

>> I bet my bike can carry more tools for work than either of those.

>But I suppose you could stick trailer hitches on 'em.

Bike rack.
--
zk

Sun, 12 Dec 2004 20:44:24 GMT,
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Does it make one a "retrogrouch" to want to own a bike that's
>handcrafted by an artisan?

No.

Riding a fixed gear is pretty retro and mostly done by persons your
age and younger as _the_ thing to do.

They've heated up the market for old ten speeds.
--
zk

Mon, 13 Dec 2004 03:23:32 GMT,
<[email protected]>, "Steven M.
Scharf" <[email protected]> wrote:

> At a time when most
>bicycle manufacturers are in a race to the bottom, the customers that
>patronize the few remaining good companies, such as Rivendell, deserve a
>better label.

"Retrogroovies"
--
zk

"Zippy the Pinhead" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 23:42:57 GMT, "Fabrizio Mazzoleni"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Tom, you obviously have no idea just what Turismo really means.

> Of course we do. It's Omsirut spelt backward.
>
> Thought you could fool us, did you?

Damn working class north americans.

In article <[email protected]>,
Zoot Katz <[email protected]> writes:

>>> I bet my bike can carry more tools for work than either of those.

>>But I suppose you could stick trailer hitches on 'em.

> Bike rack.

Okay, sure. But I think a bike looks kinda silly with
a car stuck on it.

cheers,
Tom

--

In article <_k8vd.475146$Pl.325000@pd7tw1no>,
"Fabrizio Mazzoleni" <[email protected]> writes:

> Damn working class north americans.

You need us to serve up your ristrettos, etc.
Anyhow, a good local deal lately is Andre's
Medium Dry Canadian Sherry. 22%. Usually it's
$6.29/750ml, but they knocked 4 bits off the
price. Adds some zip to your steak & kidney
pie. It's good in French onion pot roast, too.
It's even more-or-less potable - a pony or two
after working in the cold outdoors gets the
blood circulating again.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

Sun, 12 Dec 2004 20:05:27 -0800, <[email protected]>,

>>>But I suppose you could stick trailer hitches on 'em.

>> Bike rack.

>Okay, sure. But I think a bike looks kinda silly with
>a car stuck on it.

No sillier than cars, with perfectly rideable bikes, sitting in the
bridge ramp parking while you're tooling up the causeway.
--
zk

news:%[email protected]...
> >I 'm 34, and I ride with a group of guys around my age--some younger,

some
> > older. I am the only one riding a steel bike in a sea of oversized
> > aluminum,
> > titanium, and carbon fiber. After our last ride we got on to the subject
> > of
> > dream bikes. The usuals came up---Litespeeds, Colnagos, Trek 5900s, etc.

> > mentioned that I would rather ride a custom lugged Waterford, a Richard
> > Sachs, or a Rivendell, and they all pegged me with the "retrogrouch"
> > moniker. Does it make one a "retrogrouch" to want to own a bike that's
> > handcrafted by an artisan?

> Perhaps the "grouch" part comes from your assumption that a Colnago, Trek

or
> Litespeed isn't handcrafted by an artisan. I know of many people in
> Waterloo, WI (home of Trek) that would be mildly offended by the idea that
> something that many of them have been doing for 10+ years, with a great
> amount of skill and care, qualifies them as nothing more, in some eyes,

than
> a mindless automaton.

I ddn't mean to infer that Treks, Colnagos, Litespeeds et al were not
quality machines. I just don't think the same craftsmanship exists with a
TIG welded frame as with a lugged and brazed frame. I've seen some
technically perfect TIG welds(Cannondales come to mind), but it's not the
same as someone with a file and a torch manipulating lugs. But I appreciate
the workmanship involved in TIG welding.

> I'm not going to debate the worthiness of any of the materials; obviously,
> they all build fine bikes. The only point here is what is essentially a

slap
> in the face regarding "handcraftsmanship" and what it means to be an
> "artisan." That, in my opinion, is entirely unwarranted.

Didn't mean to offend.

news:%[email protected]...
> >I 'm 34, and I ride with a group of guys around my age--some younger,

some
> > older. I am the only one riding a steel bike in a sea of oversized
> > aluminum,
> > titanium, and carbon fiber. After our last ride we got on to the subject
> > of
> > dream bikes. The usuals came up---Litespeeds, Colnagos, Trek 5900s, etc.

> > mentioned that I would rather ride a custom lugged Waterford, a Richard
> > Sachs, or a Rivendell, and they all pegged me with the "retrogrouch"
> > moniker. Does it make one a "retrogrouch" to want to own a bike that's
> > handcrafted by an artisan?

> Perhaps the "grouch" part comes from your assumption that a Colnago, Trek

or
> Litespeed isn't handcrafted by an artisan. I know of many people in
> Waterloo, WI (home of Trek) that would be mildly offended by the idea that
> something that many of them have been doing for 10+ years, with a great
> amount of skill and care, qualifies them as nothing more, in some eyes,

than
> a mindless automaton.
>
> To be fair though, I seriously doubt that most of the Litespeed, Colnago

and
> Trek owners have a clue as to how much handwork goes into their frames.
>
> The main differences between a Sacs/Rivendell/whatever steel frame and the
> others you mentioned is in the material that's used to build them. Steel.
> Steel is remarkably easy to work with in a low-tech environment, and
> requires minimal investment in tooling (compared to the others). Steel

will
> always be the favored material for the individual framebuilder, simply
> because it is, by far, the most practical for them to work with.
>
> I'm not going to debate the worthiness of any of the materials; obviously,
> they all build fine bikes. The only point here is what is essentially a

slap
> in the face regarding "handcraftsmanship" and what it means to be an
> "artisan." That, in my opinion, is entirely unwarranted.
>
> --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
> www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Don't get your feathers up. He's not saying you should be ashamed to sell
Trek plastic and aluminum bicycles. Races are won on them and money is made
from selling them.

Assembly line workers in a Trek or Cannondale plant probably do take a lot
of pride in their work, but they differ very little from similar workers at
GM or Ford.

To compare these people to Richard Sachs or Bryan Bayliss is like comparing
a school picture photographer to Annie Leibovitz.