us motorists are gas sucking whining energy pigs

Originally posted by H. M. Leary
In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (gwhite) wrote:

> [email protected] (Carl Fogel) wrote:
>
> > This is why OPEC could not set oil prices as it pleased
> > for long. Rising prices encouraged long-term investment
> > in fields beyond OPEC's control and the resumption of
> > pumping from previously idled fields.
>
> Exactly. And high prices too would increase investment in
> other technologies such as tar sand conversion and coal
> conversion to liquid fuel. The US sits on huge reserves
> of coal.

IIRC.. some 60 years ago the Germans did a fairly good
job of this.

Maybe at 4 - 5 bucks a gallon this could become feasible.

HAND

Dear H.M.,

Colorado has oil shale reserves, but they're
not much use. Trying to refine coal into fuel
doesn't work well, either. Ethanol depends
entirely on government subsidy. There has
never been any economical substitute for
pumping sludge out of the ground and refining
it.

The Germans were reduced to hauling fighter
aircraft to the runways with horses to eke out
their fuel supplies after they lost their access
to the Roumanian oil fields. There was no fuel
for reasonable pilot training (not that they
survived with Allied fighters patrolling the
skies.)

Similarly, their surprise winter attack had no
real hopes of success beyond a fantasy that
they would somehow capture vast Allied fuel
dumps (probably the easiest military supplies
to destroy).

Indeed, a common observation among military
historians is that the U.S. army was heavily
mechanized, while the German army depended
to a surprising degree on horses. Both Germany
and Japan seized oil fields as their first objectives
when they went to war, neither country having
any significant oil fields of its own.

See "Oil and war : how the deadly struggle for
fuel in WWII meant victory or defeat," Robert
Goralski.

Carl Fogel

gwhite wrote:

> [email protected] (Carl Fogel) wrote:
>
>> This is why OPEC could not set oil prices as it pleased
>> for long. Rising prices encouraged long-term investment
>> in fields beyond OPEC's control and the resumption of
>> pumping from previously idled fields.

I once knew an old lady who owned a bunch of oil wells in
Oklahoma. She had the financial news running all the time,
hoping with crossed fingers that oil would reach a certain
(high) price per barrel. Once it did, she could afford to
"turn on the spigot, and let the money run out."

> Exactly. And high prices too would increase investment in
> other technologies such as tar sand conversion and coal
> conversion to liquid fuel. The US sits on huge reserves
> of coal.

Having witnessed the environmental devastation caused by
mining coal, I'd prefer it stay in the ground.
Unforunately, acid rain, CO2 emissions, etc., are the only
problems with coal ever discussed. Mining coal is like
tearing up your backyard with a bulldozer, to find $1.25
buried there, and leaving the mess for the next homeowner
to clean up. I'm with you on investment in other
technologies, but not that one.

Matt O.

In article <[email protected]>,
"Matt O'Toole" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
>
> > Matt-<< I know Chrysler minivans are available with
> > diesels over there (30mpg!), and I think PT Cruisers are
> > too. >><BR><BR>
>
> > WAY off topic but with the introduction of so called
> > 'white' diesel, why not a diesel-electric hybrid instead
> > of gas-electric. Seems a good idea for trucks, or at
> > least a diesel...
>
> It's a very good idea. A diesel-electric hybrid like the
> Honda Insight could approach 100 MPG. However, the current
> Toyota and Honda hybrids were designed with ultra low
> emissions in mind, beyond what's possible with a diesel.

In Europe, where diesels sell (the economics having a lot to
do with the extra fuel taxes there), already there are pseudo-
hybrid diesels on the road. I call them this because they
are diesels that stop their engines when the car comes to a
stop. The dirty secret of hybrid cars is that this trick
alone accounts for a lot of the fuel economy gains these
cars show, especially in stop-and-go traffic.

The Volkswagen Lupo TDI 3L:
http://www.vwvortex.com/artman/publish/article_319.shtml

I think gas-electric hybrids like the Prius and Insight are
a bit of a sham: they really do have very good economy
numbers, but most of that is achieved by virtue of their
being relatively light, sitting on high rolling resistance
tires, and running very small motors. The battery-powered
part of things amounts to a very small gain.

--
Ryan Cousineau, [email protected]
http://www.sfu.ca/~rcousine/wiredcola/ President, Fabrizio

Ryan Cousineau wrote:

> In Europe, where diesels sell (the economics having a lot
> to do with the extra fuel taxes there), already there are
> pseudo-hybrid diesels on the road. I call them this
> because they are diesels that stop their engines when the
> car comes to a stop. The dirty secret of hybrid cars is
> that this trick alone accounts for a lot of the fuel
> economy gains these cars show, especially in stop-and-go
> traffic.

This is absolutely not true. The main reason for these cars'
shutting off while stopped is to meet noise and pollution
requirements, especially in Switzerland. Diesels use *very*
little fuel at idle anyway, so shutting off won't do much.

Besides hybrids' basic architecture storing kinetic energy
in batteries, they employ other little efficiencies too. For
example, the Civic/Insight combines the alternator, starter,
and traction motor into one "pancake" motor inside the
bellhousing, which is more efficient than a belt driven
alternator. The Prius makes extensive use of electronic
control, and everything in the car is optimized for
efficiency.

> The Volkswagen Lupo TDI 3L:
> http://www.vwvortex.com/artman/publish/article_319.shtml
>
> I think gas-electric hybrids like the Prius and Insight
> are a bit of a sham: they really do have very good economy
> numbers, but most of that is achieved by virtue of their
> being relatively light, sitting on high rolling resistance
> tires, and running very small motors. The battery-powered
> part of things amounts to a very small gain.

Yeah, those dummies at Toyota and Honda with their stupid
PhDs in engineering, what do they know...

The Insight is light for a modern US-market car, but the
regular Civic Hybrid and Prius are not particularly. Keep in
mind these cars are designed for the lowest levels of
emissions, which sacrifices fuel economy somewhat. They also
meet American safety standards, which cars like the Lupo
could never.

Diesels are indeed very efficient -- the newest ones have
reached 50% thermodynamic efficiency. But the best ones
can't be used in the US for passenger cars, because they
don't meet our emissions laws. Most of this is due to our
high-sulfur fuel, but that's changing. It's true that a
Jetta TDI, for example, would probably match a Civic Hybrid
for fuel economy, and beat it in performance. But since
diesel hybrids are not available in the US, it's not a fair
comparison. It's possible they could do 30% better still.

Some of this anti-diesel emissions regulation may be a trade
barrier against European manufacturers -- who happen to have
good diesel product to offer, while American and Japanese
companies do not.

Matt O.

> In Europe, where diesels sell (the economics having a lot
> to do with the extra fuel taxes there)

Not everything, in some countries diesel is fairly popular,
let more expensive than "gas".

>, already there are pseudo-hybrid diesels on the road. I
>call them this because they are diesels that stop their
>engines when the car comes to a stop. The dirty secret of
>hybrid cars is that this trick alone accounts for a lot of
>the fuel economy gains these cars show, especially in stop-and-
>go traffic.

That's got to be something. Having a small engine that
gets a boost from time to time is another part of the
story. It would be good to have the engine off for miles
when in slow traffic.

> The Volkswagen Lupo TDI 3L:
> http://www.vwvortex.com/artman/publish/article_319.shtml
>
> I think gas-electric hybrids like the Prius and Insight
> are a bit of a sham: they really do have very good economy
> numbers, but most of that is achieved by virtue of their
> being relatively light, sitting on high rolling resistance
> tires, and running very small motors.

No, otherwise the smaller and lighter cars that people use
in Europe (and for that matter, almost everywhere apart from
the USA), would get just as good economy. They don't. The
worst thing about the prius is how it is geared to the
american market - it should be smaller.

> The battery-powered part of things amounts to a very
> small gain.

You couldn't use such a small engine without it. A small car
can cruise at 80mph with 40 bhp, but it really won't
accellerate well, give it a 10-20bhp boost occaisionally and
its much better.

In article <[email protected]>,
"Matt O'Toole" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Ryan Cousineau wrote:
>
> > In Europe, where diesels sell (the economics having a
> > lot to do with the extra fuel taxes there), already
> > there are pseudo-hybrid diesels on the road. I call them
> > this because they are diesels that stop their engines
> > when the car comes to a stop. The dirty secret of hybrid
> > cars is that this trick alone accounts for a lot of the
> > fuel economy gains these cars show, especially in stop-and-
> > go traffic.
>
> This is absolutely not true. The main reason for these
> cars' shutting off while stopped is to meet noise and
> pollution requirements, especially in Switzerland. Diesels
> use *very* little fuel at idle anyway, so shutting off
> won't do much.

I was willing to go along with this one for a moment, and
will accept the assertion this has more to do with pollution
than economy, but noise requirements? What does the Swiss
noise test protocol look like that it can be fooled by
turning off a car at idle? As far as I know, these tests
usually involve a limit set by a drive-by reading at a given
speed, and maybe another test at idle. The Swiss noise
limits are notoriously low (motorcycles lose a ton of
horsepower in Swiss spec, mainly because of noise reduction
measures), but are they really fooled by turning the car
off? I did a search on the Swiss government's website; my
German is too rusty to decipher which, if any, link went to
the noise regulations.

> Besides hybrids' basic architecture storing kinetic energy
> in batteries, they employ other little efficiencies too.
> For example, the Civic/Insight combines the alternator,
> starter, and traction motor into one "pancake" motor
> inside the bellhousing, which is more efficient than a
> belt driven alternator. The Prius makes extensive use of
> electronic control, and everything in the car is optimized
> for efficiency.
>
> > The Volkswagen Lupo TDI 3L: http://www.vwvortex.com/art-
> > man/publish/article_319.shtml
> >
> > I think gas-electric hybrids like the Prius and Insight
> > are a bit of a sham: they really do have very good
> > economy numbers, but most of that is achieved by virtue
> > of their being relatively light, sitting on high rolling
> > resistance tires, and running very small motors. The battery-
> > powered part of things amounts to a very small gain.
>
> Yeah, those dummies at Toyota and Honda with their stupid
> PhDs in engineering, what do they know...

> The Insight is light for a modern US-market car, but the
> regular Civic Hybrid and Prius are not particularly. Keep
> in mind these cars are designed for the lowest levels of
> emissions, which sacrifices fuel economy somewhat. They
> also meet American safety standards, which cars like the
> Lupo could never.

Hee hee. I don't mean to suggest there's no gain. But I am
curious about the fact that a car like the Prius is very
popular, but Toyota has not brought out an "intermediate"
car: think about a Toyota Echo running aluminum bodywork,
their smallest engine, low-rolling-resistance tires, and an
idle-shutoff. I suspect such a car would be very close in
fuel economy to the Prius, but without the expense and
weight of a substantial battery pack (it would need a
slightly larger battery for the fast-start setup). The only
really pricey feature would be converting from steel to
aluminum, and the savings on that would be marginal.

They probably know their business here: the Prius promises
pain-free efficiency (in both emissions and economy), and
the cost of the car is still affordable if you're shopping
in Corolla/Camry land.

> Diesels are indeed very efficient -- the newest ones have
> reached 50% thermodynamic efficiency. But the best ones
> can't be used in the US for passenger cars, because they
> don't meet our emissions laws. Most of this is due to our
> high-sulfur fuel, but that's changing. It's true that a
> Jetta TDI, for example, would probably match a Civic
> Hybrid for fuel economy, and beat it in performance. But
> since diesel hybrids are not available in the US, it's
> not a fair comparison. It's possible they could do 30%
> better still.

> Some of this anti-diesel emissions regulation may be a
> trade barrier against European manufacturers -- who happen
> to have good diesel product to offer, while American and
> Japanese companies do not.

The emissions regulations in the US, whatever else they may
be, are not anti-diesel. First, there are quite a few
diesels for sale in the US right now. I can't think of a
time from the OPEC crisis onwards during which at least one
maker didn't have a diesel option for sale in the US. Now,
these ranged from the slightly stinky early Mercedes-Benz
diesels and the astoundingly wretched Oldsmobile diesels,
through countless smelly Rabbits, and finally to a range of
TDI cars today, mostly offered by Volkswagen (two of my co-
workers own Jetta TDIs, and Canadian emissions standards
essentially parallel the US standard, at least for states
not following the California spec).

Second, there are market reasons why diesels aren't as
attractive in the US. Diesels are very efficient: they get
better mpg on an absolute basis than gas engines, and diesel
fuel is usually a bit cheaper. But in the US, gas taxes are
so low that the cost of fuel is a smaller portion of the
operating costs of a car than in any other "developed"
nation. This means that opting for the diesel takes longer
to pay itself off than it would in Europe. In some cases,
you would not make up the cost difference ever, if you
didn't drive very far and sold your car relatively early.

And more than Europe, diesels have had to fight a long
battle against their reputation as smelly hard-starting
vehicles. I realize that is no longer the reality of diesel
ownership, but it's a major reason (along with performance)
why diesels don't sell well in the US.

--
Ryan Cousineau, [email protected]
http://www.sfu.ca/~rcousine/wiredcola/ President, Fabrizio
Mazzoleni Fan Club

more production does not solve the problem only makes the
problem more severe hydrogen hyrdrogen hyrdrogen. ok how
much energy does it take to produce hydrogen. is there a
hydrogen/solar rig? how much energy does it take to produce
citric acid?

[email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo ) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> gwhite-<< What is your point? >><BR><BR>
>
> Enjoy your ineffiecient SUV mom.

Again, what is your point?

> Instead of genuine conservation starting with NOT
> buying large, inefficient vehicles.

Please explain how a joule of energy saved in the gas
tank results in a joule of energy saved in the aggregate
economy, all other things equal.

You made an assertion. Answer the question. Why do you
believe driving more fuel efficient vehicles would conserve
energy in the aggregate economy?

"Matt O'Toole" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> gwhite wrote:
>
> > [email protected] (Carl Fogel) wrote:
> >
> >> This is why OPEC could not set oil prices as it pleased
> >> for long. Rising prices encouraged long-term investment
> >> in fields beyond OPEC's control and the resumption of
> >> pumping from previously idled fields.
>
> I once knew an old lady who owned a bunch of oil wells in
> Oklahoma. She had the financial news running all the time,
> hoping with crossed fingers that oil would reach a certain
> (high) price per barrel. Once it did, she could afford to
> "turn on the spigot, and let the money run out."
>
> > Exactly. And high prices too would increase investment
> > in other technologies such as tar sand conversion and
> > coal conversion to liquid fuel. The US sits on huge
> > reserves of coal.
>
> Having witnessed the environmental devastation caused by
> mining coal, I'd prefer it stay in the ground.

If other forms of energy are provided at a lower cost, then
that is what should happen. I was mostly saying that there
is a lot of potential energy, not what should be
specifically done. I was agreeing with Carl that OPEC are
not lords unto themselves. They need to keep the price low
enough such that competing forms of energy are not pursued.
That is, if they want to sell their oil.

> Unforunately, acid rain, CO2 emissions, etc., are the only
> problems with coal ever discussed.

Modern coal energy plants do have scrubbers to greatly
reduce acid rain. Indeed the controversy has died down. I'm
sure they could be made better, but I don't know the cost.
Coal plants do emit C02, for those who are concerned with
the claim of global warming. There are many new coal energy
plants planned for construction. I just read it in the paper
a few days ago.

> Mining coal is like tearing up your backyard with a
> bulldozer, to find $1.25 buried there, and leaving the
> mess for the next homeowner to clean up.

The only thing important is the that the backyard is
represented by the seller truthfully to the next buyer. If
it is "torn up," but the buyer decides that's okay for the
selling price, then I don't see a problem with inheriting a
"cleanup." After all, truth in selling means the buyer was
aware there would be costs of improvement.

> I'm with you on investment in other technologies, but not
> that one.

I would let the marketplace decide. The only confounding
issue is that of externalities, specifically pollution.
Are the beneficiaries bearing the full cost of the energy
and not someone else? That's the only sticky part to it
in my mind.

Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote:

> The dirty secret of hybrid cars is that this trick alone
> accounts for a lot of the fuel economy gains these cars
> show, especially in stop-and-go traffic.

It is no secret at all -- this fact is easily known.
Moreover, it is hardly "dirty," in fact it is "clean." If
pure fossil fueled cars want to use the technique to improve
milage, then what is stopping them?

The numbers simply report the macro characteristics of
better fuel economy and lower emmissions, which is all most
folks care about anyway. Who cares if the engine turns off?

> I think gas-electric hybrids like the Prius and Insight
> are a bit of a sham: they really do have very good economy
> numbers, but most of that is achieved by virtue of their
> being relatively light, sitting on high rolling resistance
> tires, and running very small motors. The battery-powered
> part of things amounts to a very small gain.

It (electric motor) kicks in for acceleration. That's okay
and the small gas motor makes sense for simply maintaining
speed, for which not a lot of power is required. My pure
fossil fueled car is light too, has a small motor, and gets
up to 50 mpg, does that make it a sham?

If the point of the buyer is for economy, then design for
economy is exactly the thing to be concerned with. The
stupid part of hybrids is simply their selling price, not
their operational economy. That is, for the difference in
price between my econobox and a hybrid, I think I figured
out that I could buy enough gas to drive 200,000 miles or
so. For me the choice was easy. Others like the idea of the
hybrid and are willing to pay for it. Who am I to say no?

Originally posted by Gwhite
"Matt O'Toole" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

[snip all but flattering agreement]

I was agreeing with Carl that OPEC are
not lords unto themselves. They need to keep the price low
enough such that competing forms of energy are not pursued.
That is, if they want to sell their oil.

Dear GW,

Actually, OPEC merely needs to keep the
price low enough that the numerous other
oil-producing countries don't undercut them
and that their own members don't (as they
historically do) break ranks and start selling
the stuff on the sly.

In terms of economics, oil is a widely available
commodity. In many places, it's forced out of
the ground under natural pressure in incredible
quantities as soon as a hole is drilled.

This leaves numerous countries and companies
trying to mine and sell a bulk item that ships
well and even runs through pipelines to distant
markets. The problem isn't a lack of oil--it's
getting it out of the ground and to the refinery
more cheaply than the other guy while still making
a profit.

If Saudi Arabia stops production tomorrow, only
12% of the world's daily production will be lost,
and the rest of the producers will happily start
pumping and selling more--they all have excess
capacity and unused proven reserves. Exploration
is aimed at finding wells that are more economical
in some way--easier to drill, closer to facilities, or
yielding oil that's cheaper to refine.

They're not worried about solar, nuclear, wind,
coal, horses, or pedals, none of which move
serious vehicles very well in comparison to
internal combustion. They're worried about the
guy in the next country undercutting their price
per barrel by ten cents or a dollar.

Meanwhile, I notice few mothers with three children
wishing that everyone would switch to bicycles and
mass transit schemes.

Carl Fogel

Ryan Cousineau wrote:

> Hee hee. I don't mean to suggest there's no gain. But I am
> curious about the fact that a car like the Prius is very
> popular, but Toyota has not brought out an "intermediate"
> car: think about a Toyota Echo running aluminum bodywork,
> their smallest engine, low-rolling-resistance tires, and
> an idle-shutoff. I suspect such a car would be very close
> in fuel economy to the Prius, but without the expense and
> weight of a substantial battery pack (it would need a
> slightly larger battery for the fast-start setup). The
> only really pricey feature would be converting from steel
> to aluminum, and the savings on that would be marginal.

Again, you're simply mistaken. Most people are. The (old)
Prius looks like an Echo, but has absolutely nothing in
common. It's an entirely different platform, engineered from
the ground up. It *is* an intermediate car, in terms of
interior space. It actually does have more room inside than
a Taurus or Camry. An Echo definately does not.

> The emissions regulations in the US, whatever else they
> may be, are not anti-diesel. First, there are quite a few
> diesels for sale in the US right now.

> I can't think of a time from the OPEC crisis onwards
> during which at least one maker didn't have a diesel
> option for sale in the US. Now, these ranged from the
> slightly stinky early Mercedes-Benz diesels and the
> astoundingly wretched Oldsmobile diesels, through
> countless smelly Rabbits, and finally to a range of TDI
> cars today, mostly offered by Volkswagen (two of my co-
> workers own Jetta TDIs, and Canadian emissions standards
> essentially parallel the US standard, at least for states
> not following the California spec).

There are very few diesel *passenger cars* for sale in the
US right now. Plenty of trucks, but no cars. Cars and trucks
have different emissions requirements -- remember the SUV
loophole? VW and Mercedes are the only ones selling diesel
passenger cars, and that's only after a several year hiatus
by Mercedes. For awhile it was just VW.

And for a long time, diesel VWs were not available in CA, or
states which share CA emissions standards. You could bring
them in as used cars, but not buy them new. CA is full of
*old* Mercedes diesels. They haven't been sold there for
several years.

The California Air Resources Board is *definately* anti-
diesel, and the main obstacle to diesels being sold in the
US. Anyone in the car biz will tell you that. CA is the
biggest single market, and proportionally an even bigger
market for Mercedes. Since MA and NY generally share CA
emissions standards, there go the two biggest markets, CA
and the Northeast.

CARB politics in Sacramento are definately the special
interest tail wagging the dog. There are some smart
scientists working at the CARB and the AQMD (air quality
management district, for southern CA). The science behind
limiting sales of diesel passenger cars is definately not
there. With so many old-tech trucks on the road, industrial
equipment, oil refineries, jets flying into LAX, diesel
locomotives, etc. -- modern, clean-burning diesel cars are
lost in the noise. So the only explanation is special
interests wanting to keep them out. These scientists and
engineers are constantly being overruled by legislators
loyal to other interests.

> Second, there are market reasons why diesels aren't as
> attractive in the US. Diesels are very efficient: they get
> better mpg on an absolute basis than gas engines, and
> diesel fuel is usually a bit cheaper. But in the US, gas
> taxes are so low that the cost of fuel is a smaller
> portion of the operating costs of a car than in any other
> "developed" nation. This means that opting for the diesel
> takes longer to pay itself off than it would in Europe. In
> some cases, you would not make up the cost difference
> ever, if you didn't drive very far and sold your car
> relatively early.

This is true, and has been throughout the history of diesel
cars in America.

VW is breaking new ground, though. Resale prices for the
TDIs are so high that the higher initial cost *is* paying
for itself. The Golf TDI vies with the Honda Civic for
lowest TCO of any new car sold in the US. And it's mostly
because of low depreciation.

> And more than Europe, diesels have had to fight a long
> battle against their reputation as smelly hard-starting
> vehicles. I realize that is no longer the reality of
> diesel ownership, but it's a major reason (along with
> performance) why diesels don't sell well in the US.

Well, there's definately that bias, but it's more among
overly conservative marketing people. Who knows how diesel
cars would be received, since no one (but VW) has brought
out a new one in 20 years? The main resistance these days is
definately from the regulatory side.

Once we get our low-sulfur diesel, starting in 2006, there
will probably be more European diesels brought over. If
these are popular, we'll probably see the American and
Japanese companies following with diesels of their own. But
that's a few years off, plenty of time for them to get
ready. :)

Matt O.

Ryan Cousineau wrote:

> I was willing to go along with this one for a moment, and
> will accept the assertion this has more to do with
> pollution than economy, but noise requirements? What does
> the Swiss noise test protocol look like that it can be
> fooled by turning off a car at idle? As far as I know,
> these tests usually involve a limit set by a drive-by
> reading at a given speed, and maybe another test at idle.
> The Swiss noise limits are notoriously low (motorcycles
> lose a ton of horsepower in Swiss spec, mainly because of
> noise reduction measures), but are they really fooled by
> turning the car off? I did a search on the Swiss
> government's website; my German is too rusty to decipher
> which, if any, link went to the noise regulations.

In some places in Switzerland, you're required to turn your
car off at traffic lights. A car which does this and
restarts automatically is a selling point. It probably also
plays to consumer misconceptions about saving fuel.

Matt O.

I'll have to agree with the subject line. I've spoke with
drivers who own the Honda Insight Hybrid, (65 mpg auto).
Most of the drivers who own these cars are conscience on
saving fuel. Some of the owners have pushed past 70 mpg.,
depending how they are on the accelerator. One owner tells
me he drives at 62 mph on the freeway and if you really want
to save on fuel, he says, cut-out the small errand driving,
to the grocery store, post office, etc.

I don't have a Honda Insight, but for a test, I drove at 62
mph instead of 75-77 mph on the freeway between my fill-ups,
and saved about $4.00. So with the price of fuel in CA, I've
been sticking with 62-65mph.for commuting, leaving my house
5 min. eariler, and with riding my bike to run errands, I'm
saving about $20.00 a month.

I'm wondering what would happen if the speed-limit was
lowered to 55 mph. Of course the majority of drivers won't
go for this, they're too much in a hurry to get from point
A to point B, but if they did, I wouldn't be surprised if
gas dipped below $1.00 a gallon, not to mention fewer
accidents, lower insurance rates. food for thought, -tom

carlfogel wrote:

> Meanwhile, I notice few mothers with three children
> wishing that everyone would switch to bicycles and mass
> transit schemes.

Plenty of mothers with three children are beating down the
doors of real estate offices in villagey communities,
willing to pay millions of dollars to live where they can
walk to everything.

Matt O.

gwhite wrote:

> I was agreeing with Carl that OPEC are not lords unto
> themselves. They need to keep the price low enough such
> that competing forms of energy are not pursued. That is,
> if they want to sell their oil.

Carl is right, this is true.

Our current gasoline price spike is nothing unusual. People
seem to forget how the oil companies do this every year --
lots of press releases every spring, telling us how and why
prices will be going up. They're just boosting prices for
the summer driving season, especially Memorial Day through
July 4. They've been starting this effort a little earlier
every year for the last several years. You can corroborate
this by reading through old newspapers. The same pattern
emerges every year, with the same kinds of stories from the
same "sources" (PR think-tanks). It's all just part of an
ongoing haggle with the public.

>> Unforunately, acid rain, CO2 emissions, etc., are the
>> only problems with coal ever discussed.
>
> Modern coal energy plants do have scrubbers to greatly
> reduce acid rain. Indeed the controversy has died down.
> I'm sure they could be made better, but I don't know the
> cost. Coal plants do emit C02, for those who are concerned
> with the claim of global warming.

It seems you don't believe this "claim."

> There are many new coal energy plants planned for
> construction. I just read it in the paper a few days ago.

Yup, unfortunately. In case you haven't noticed, energy
companies are big backers of our current administration
-- which in many cases, has returned the favor by calling
the dogs off.

>> Mining coal is like tearing up your backyard with a
>> bulldozer, to find $1.25 buried there, and leaving the
>> mess for the next homeowner to clean up.

> The only thing important is the that the backyard is
> represented by the seller truthfully to the next buyer. If
> it is "torn up," but the buyer decides that's okay for the
> selling price, then I don't see a problem with inheriting
> a "cleanup." After all, truth in selling means the buyer
> was aware there would be costs of improvement.

My point was that the cleanup would be more expensive than
the "treasure" is worth. So digging it up is pointless. And
it might even cost more than the land is worth. So it will
sit like that for eternity, unless the taxpayers pick up the
tab. This is the problem with coal. It's only cost efficient
when the environmental damage caused by the mining is
ignored -- which is in fact what happens.

>> I'm with you on investment in other technologies, but not
>> that one.

> I would let the marketplace decide. The only confounding
> issue is that of externalities, specifically pollution.
> Are the beneficiaries bearing the full cost of the energy
> and not someone else? That's the only sticky part to it in
> my mind.

That *is* the sticky point, and it's a reality. The
beneficiaries are not bearing the full cost.

Matt O.

Originally posted by Tom Nakashima
[...]

Dear Tom,

If drivers could indeed be forced to drop from 75 mph
to 55 mph on highways, then it would take them about
33% longer to drive the same distance--a 60 minute
highway drive of 75 miles would take 81 minutes.

So someone commuting a total of 75 miles per day 20
days per month would spend an extra 420 minutes per
month sitting in the car--seven hours. If this saved $21,
to use your figure (which might easily vary), then he'd
be saving money at $3 per hour, $252 per year.

Traffic would also increase--the same number of drivers
would be on the road 33% longer.

The delivery of goods and the arrival of service personnel
would also take longer and become more expensive, since
most people charge more per hour than would be saved
in fuel costs.

Time, unfortunately, is also money.

But since most driving is not on highways but around
town at far lower speeds that no one proposes to
reduce even further, the idea is likely symbolic--and
like many symbolic gestures not terribly effective.

My stroked and bored Honda trials machine averaged
around 100 mpg back in the early 1980's at about
50-55 mph when I was silly enough to ride it to Denver
and back on a 220 mile round trip. Even when I was
doing it, I realized that I was being foolish. Luckily, the
only disaster was a broken gearbox spring that left me
stuck in 5th gear at a gas station in Colorado Springs,
not really that big a problem with a trials bike.

Carl Fogel

"gwhite" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo ) wrote
> in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > gwhite-<< What is your point? >><BR><BR>
> >
> > Enjoy your ineffiecient SUV mom.
>
> Again, what is your point?

Large road vehicles for personal transport serve no real
purpose, and the rest of the world does fine without them.

> > Instead of genuine conservation starting with NOT
> > buying large, inefficient vehicles.
>
> Please explain how a joule of energy saved in the gas
> tank results in a joule of energy saved in the
> aggregate economy, all other things equal.

I don't know what the precise definition of "aggregate
economy" is, and don't see why it would make a difference.
Whatever the definitions you are playing with, its getting
used wastefully. Add to that - smaller cars use less energy
and materials in their construction.

> You made an assertion. Answer the question. Why do you
> believe driving more fuel efficient vehicles would
> conserve energy in the aggregate economy?

In brief please, what is the "aggregate economy", and why is
it particularly important as to whether the fuel is burnt
within it or without it?

If its not in the "aggregate economy" is it not still coming
out of the ground and ending up in the air?

Originally posted by Matt O'Toole
carlfogel wrote:

> Meanwhile, I notice few mothers with three children
> wishing that everyone would switch to bicycles and mass
> transit schemes.

Plenty of mothers with three children are beating down the
doors of real estate offices in villagey communities,
willing to pay millions of dollars to live where they can
walk to everything.

Matt O.

Dear Matt,

Plenty of mothers are willing to pay millions
of dollars to live where they can walk to
everything.

Unfortunately, they don't have millions of
dollars, so they drive like most people in
the U.S.

Carl Fogel

carlfogel wrote:

> Plenty of mothers are willing to pay millions of dollars
> to live where they can walk to everything.
>
> Unfortunately, they don't have millions of dollars, so
> they drive like most people in the U.S.

With a little planning, it would be easier and cheaper to
build villages for the mothers, than to give them millions
of dollars so they can outbid radiologists for space in the
existing ones.

Matt O.