what is considered a good FTP

Or do this, start a topic specific to this "power meter variations with temperature" stating you belief that a power meter will READ 10% different based on temp. and see what response you get. Prove me wrong...

Originally Posted by bgoetz

Or do this, start a topic specific to this "power meter variations with temperature" stating you belief that a power meter will READ 10% different based on temp. and see what response you get. Prove me wrong...
????

Did you read the article???

It is not important for me to always be right, I have already told you there is no ego here. Why is it so important for you to be right or correct?

I know that my own Powertap drifts considerably with temperature, but why go into the details with someone who's only interest is being right all the time?

I am getting a bit bored with "batting this ball around". If someone else wants a chance to play, he is all your's

I am getting a bit bored with "batting this ball around". If someone else wants a chance to play, he is all your's
I agree, there is no point arguing with someone who has such strong convictions about a Powertap's accuracy, that he ignores reference linked on the Powertap site to the contrary.

Originally Posted by RapDaddyo
Now I'm lost. First, I thought you were arguing that Felt could increase his FTP by 10% by increasing his cadence, a claim that I don't agree with anyway. Now, you are arguing that he will increase his FTP by 10% not due to increasing his cadence but due to power measurement error???

Thanks
grin.png

First time I have heard someone suggest using temperature drift to bump up their FTP
grin.png

Maybe Js should read this thread, he is always training in that cold warehouse, Christ his FTP is probably 30 watts higher!!

In the future, I'm going to do my FTP tests in July out at Death Valley, where the temps get to about 120F. Of course, the benefit of my PT error may be partially offset by the melting of my tires.
confused.png

Originally Posted by WillemJM
Reading what is written and responding accordingly with respect:

Why is it absurd to expect a 10% increase in power from a person who focuses predominantly on body building with cycling as a second priority? Why is it absurd if he focuses on cycling as a first priority and at least pushes his cadence from the mid 60's to above 80 over a 6 month training period? Why is it absurd not to expect more than a 10% FTP improvement?

I'm listening and eager to learn?

To add to the above, 10% is not much. You can expect a 10% increase in power with doing nothing other than comparing Powertap readings with exactly the same effort, riding one day at 32F and the next at 80F due to the type of strain gauge they use. SRM is a little better, probably 8%. No matter how often you calibrate these units, the drift remains. We can go into exact factual details here if you want?

Try and reply rather than being insulting to divert the discussion and avoiding the subject matter.
See what I mean? Your second paragraph does not in any way address anything I wrote.

You can't read.

Then your powermeter paragraph simply reinforces my assertion that you don't have a clue what you're talking about.

I've said it half a dozen times. You're hopeless. I won't waste my time with you any longer. You and old guy can troll each other.

You do realize that article is 10 years old right?

DC rainmaker does some of the most complete reviews and comparisons on power meters that were created in THIS decade. Give his stuff a read, it has been discussed many times.

Now go back to making widgets or whatever it is you do, your annoying me and are officially being blocked from posts I can see
Wait, wait, how do you do that?!

I want to block him, too!

So what if the fact that we do understand is what causes us to call you a delusional idiot?

I would guess when one zeros their Powermeter this accounts for any variability in temperature. Just a wild guess though ;)
It's a bit comical when someone starts going on about powermeters but then reveal that they're completely oblivious to basic functions like zero offset.

RapDaddyo said:
In the future, I'm going to do my FTP tests in July out at Death Valley, where the temps get to about 120F. Of course, the benefit of my PT error may be partially offset by the melting of my tires.:confused:
Better make sure you do that alone - Death Valley National Park has banned sporting activities in the park - no more Badwater 135 or Furnace Creek 508.

Originally Posted by WillemJM
Why is it absurd to expect a 10% increase in power from a person (It is me of who he speaks) who focuses predominantly on body building with cycling as a second priority? Why is it absurd if he focuses on cycling as a first priority and at least pushes his cadence from the mid 60's to above 80 over a 6 month training period? Why is it absurd not to expect more than a 10% FTP improvement?
Just to reflect on the advice given to me was to improve my cadence above 80 and that would raise my FTP. I am not sure where the exact post is, but I believe the advice was as plain as this. Improved cadence = improved FTP

Fortunately I am not that gullible when it comes to training in cycling, but will admit that I have a lot to learn. Here is something I do know because I have done this in many warm up sessions before training and that is I can spin at 90 to 100 rpms with little resistance on rollers using light gearing and within that warm up period of spinning fast can end the warm up period with less that 0.5 IF. Does 0.5 IF stimulate training stress, much less, a 10% improvement in FTP?

Just telling someone to spin faster without further explanation is careless advice, but again fortunately I know better.

My preference will remain to use the appropriate resistance using gearing, roller resistance and cadence that will create a situation that causes training stress. Same for training on the road.

Originally Posted by Felt_Rider

Just telling someone to spin faster without further explanation is careless advice...
While this may be true, I don't think Willem meant any harm. If there's anything I've learned from my time on the bike though it's that blanket statements yada yada well enough attempted diplomacy...

In the past, I have always just done my intervals at a cadence that felt best. Hunter Allen's plan for Battenkill that I am following this season suggests lower cadences for some of the drills to help prevent wheel slippage that may occur at higher cadences on the steep dirt/gravel inclines typical of the course.

When I perform my L5 intervals, I find cadences of lower than 90rpm bog me down faster than those above, probably due to muscular fatigue. In other words, it is easier for me to maintain my desired power level (usually around 110-115%FTP) for the work duration (5 minutes) at 92-95rpm at a the same output, than it is at 85-90rpm.

If I choose a gear that finds me in the in the lower rpm's, I often have a failed set and perform miserably on the 3rd or 4th interval. If I go one gear lower I can usually maintain consistent power levels through the full set and find that each of the previous intervals "feel" easier. This is me. In this regard I am deviating slightly from the plan as by doing it my way I feel I am able to spend more time in L5, and extract a better aerobic workload. If I fail miserably on the steep dirt sections due to wheel slippage I will revisit next time around and pay more attention to my coach. Note that I am not talking about FTP, but I also personally find I can produce more power at a lower perceived output for any duration using a higher cadence. This is me.

It could just be that years of spinning have me more efficient at the higher cadences. There are some reputable coaches who do suggest higher cadences when producing "significant" power, and their are pro's who do just that. There are also some pro's who seem to move their legs on the pedals slower than growing grass.

Originally Posted by danfoz
Note that I am not talking about FTP, but I also personally find I can produce more power at a lower perceived output for any duration using a higher cadence. This is me.
Interesting. I am starting to find that this is me too. Especially with Threshold intervals or above. Something north of 90 rpm seems to make it more bearable for me.

The following table shows the power-to-weight ratios for efforts of different durations and the FTP, at different levels of competition.

PowerProfile.png

Reactions: trailgumby