What Makes You A Cyclist?

Thecyclist2002

Guest
Some people say that if you don't finish a century, you're
not a cyclist.

Some people say that if you don't shave your legs, you're
not a cyclist.

Some people say that if you ride a 'discount store' bike,
you're not a cyclist.

Some people say that if you wear sweatpants and a t-shirt or
sweatshirt, you're not a cyclist.

Some people say if you don't ride year round, you're not
a cyclist.

Well, to all of that, I say BULLS**T!! Those who think along
those lines, are in my opinion, cycling snobs. If you can
pedal a bike, you're a cyclist.

Okay, maybe you're not an "elite" cyclist in the caliber of
Lance Armstrong, but you're a cyclist nonetheless. It
doesn't matter if you pedal across town, across your state,
or even across the country; you're a cyclist.

If you have a desire to ride, no matter what type of bike it
is, you're a cyclist. If you look forward to climbing on
your bike and hitting the road, bike path, or trail, you're
a cyclist.

It doesn't matter if you're underweight, right at your goal
weight, or a few pounds (or more) overweight, if you love to
ride, you're a cyclist.

To me, it isn't about how far you ride, what you wear, what
type of bike you ride, or even how many seasons you ride in.
No, none of that matters. What make you a cyclist is the
love of the ride!!

AJC

"Let's Ride!!"

I used to race. When I was in high school. I know the
cycling snob. I was on the verge of becoming one.

> Some people say that if you don't finish a century, you're
> not a cyclist.
I've done many

> Some people say that if you don't shave your legs, you're
> not a cyclist.
I don't race but I still shave my legs. It just feels
natural to me now.

> Some people say that if you ride a 'discount store' bike,
> you're not a
cyclist. OK, I had a Trek 1400 that I bought in 1992. I
never upgraded it to STI and when I started riding again it
would have cost more to upgrade than to get my Mongoose
Morzine from ****'s Sporting Goods. $400 bucks seemed like a
good deal.

> Some people say that if you wear sweatpants and a t-shirt
> or sweatshirt,
you're
> not a cyclist.
I just dont like the bulky clothes.

> Some people say if you don't ride year round, you're not a
> cyclist.
I ride all year, but MUCH more when it is warm

> Well, to all of that, I say BULLS**T!! Those who think
> along those lines,
are
> in my opinion, cycling snobs. If you can pedal a bike,
> you're a cyclist.
I agree.

"TheCyclist2002" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Some people say that if you don't finish a century, you're
> not a cyclist.
>
> Some people say that if you don't shave your legs, you're
> not a cyclist.
>
> Some people say that if you ride a 'discount store' bike,
> you're not a
cyclist.

> Some people say that if you wear sweatpants and a t-shirt
> or sweatshirt,
you're
> not a cyclist.
>
> Some people say if you don't ride year round, you're not a
> cyclist.
>
> Well, to all of that, I say BULLS**T!! Those who think
> along those lines,
are
> in my opinion, cycling snobs. If you can pedal a bike,
> you're a cyclist.

Agreed.

> Okay, maybe you're not an "elite" cyclist in the caliber
> of Lance
Armstrong,
> but you're a cyclist nonetheless. It doesn't matter if you
> pedal across
town,
> across your state, or even across the country; you're a
> cyclist.

Yes.

> If you have a desire to ride, no matter what type of bike
> it is, you're a cyclist. If you look forward to climbing
> on your bike and hitting the
road,
> bike path, or trail, you're a cyclist.
>
> It doesn't matter if you're underweight, right at your
> goal weight, or a
few
> pounds (or more) overweight, if you love to ride, you're a
> cyclist.
>
> To me, it isn't about how far you ride, what you wear,
> what type of bike
you
> ride, or even how many seasons you ride in. No, none of
> that matters. What
make
> you a cyclist is the love of the ride!!

Even the folks riding because of a DUI are cyclists. They
may not really enjoy cycling (they ride because they don't
have a driver's license) but they're cyclists nonetheless.

Get the word out: Ride what you have. Just ride.

Rocketman

TheCyclist2002 wrote:

> If you can pedal a bike, you're a cyclist.

Ah, but only if you *DO* pedal said bike.

Bill "can paddle, but ain't no canoeist" S.

"TheCyclist2002" <[email protected]> wrote in
message ..

> To me, it isn't about how far you ride, what you wear,
> what type of bike you ride, or even how many seasons you
> ride in. No, none of that matters. What make you a cyclist
> is the love of the ride!!

Look, normaly I'm a really nice guy, but you brought this on
yourself. You are what is known as a FRED. You will have
lot's of other FREDS to ride with as the roads are clogged
with these types.

Just don't expect any respect from me. I don't like the
why you look, what you ride, who you hang out with,
what you wear.

If we pass on the road don't try to wave or smile at me, I'm
going to have to ignore you.

That's the way road riding is and always has been.

Real Roadies don't like FREDS.

"TheCyclist2002" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Some people say that if you don't finish a century, you're
> not a cyclist.
>
> Some people say that if you don't shave your legs, you're
> not a cyclist.
>
> Some people say that if you ride a 'discount store' bike,
> you're not a
cyclist.

> Some people say that if you wear sweatpants and a t-shirt
> or sweatshirt,
you're
> not a cyclist.
>
> Some people say if you don't ride year round, you're not a
> cyclist.
>
> Well, to all of that, I say BULLS**T!! Those who think
> along those lines,
are
> in my opinion, cycling snobs. If you can pedal a bike,
> you're a cyclist.
>
> Okay, maybe you're not an "elite" cyclist in the caliber
> of Lance
Armstrong,
> but you're a cyclist nonetheless. It doesn't matter if you
> pedal across
town,
> across your state, or even across the country; you're a
> cyclist.
>
> If you have a desire to ride, no matter what type of bike
> it is, you're a cyclist. If you look forward to climbing
> on your bike and hitting the
road,
> bike path, or trail, you're a cyclist.
>
> It doesn't matter if you're underweight, right at your
> goal weight, or a
few
> pounds (or more) overweight, if you love to ride, you're a
> cyclist.
>
> To me, it isn't about how far you ride, what you wear,
> what type of bike
you
> ride, or even how many seasons you ride in. No, none of
> that matters. What
make
> you a cyclist is the love of the ride!!
>
> AJC
>
> "Let's Ride!!"

Hmmmm...I guess it depends on your definition of "cyclist".
If you go with the dictionary definition, "a person who
rides a bicycle", then everyone who turns a crank is a
"cyclist". This includes 6-year old girls with training
wheels and flowered baskets, as well as the half-drunk guy
riding home from the liquor store at night, with no helmet,
on the wrong side of the road, with a cigarette in his mouth
and a 12-pack balanced on the top tube.

However, most of us have a somewhat more restrictive
definition of "cyclist". My own definition is, "one who is
passionate about cycling, and spends a considerable amount
of time thinking about it and doing it". This definition
would exclude the little girls, the DUI guys, impoverished
students who only ride because they don't have a car, etc.
Most (but not all) people who meet this more restrictive
definition will not be seen riding a WallyWorld bike in
sweatpants, because those tools are generally inadequate for
the job. However, many will have unshaven legs, based on
what I see on tours and centuries.

--
~_-* ...G/ \G http://www.CycliStats.com CycliStats -
Software for Cyclists

"Rocketman" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:pYk5c.16606

> Even the folks riding because of a DUI are cyclists. They
> may not really enjoy cycling (they ride because they don't
> have a driver's license) but they're cyclists nonetheless.

A DUI can actually be a blessing in disguise. When I got
mine I rode more, walked more and found that most bartenders
can be quite accommodating about letting you bring your bike
into the bar. :cool:

Dave

Fabrizio Mazzoleni wrote:

> "TheCyclist2002" <[email protected]> wrote in
> message ..
>

>>To me, it isn't about how far you ride, what you wear,
>>what type of bike you ride, or even how many seasons you
>>ride in. No, none of that matters. What make you a cyclist
>>is the love of the ride!!
>

> Look, normaly I'm a really nice guy, but you brought this
> on yourself. You are what is known as a FRED. You will
> have lot's of other FREDS to ride with as the roads are
> clogged with these types.
>
> Just don't expect any respect from me. I don't like the
> why you look, what you ride, who you hang out with, what
> you wear.
>
> If we pass on the road don't try to wave or smile at me,
> I'm going to have to ignore you.
>
> That's the way road riding is and always has been.
>
> Real Roadies don't like FREDS.

There you have it Cyclist2002, from the mouth of Mr. Style!
Enjoyment of the ride is nice, but you must look good above
all else to be a true "cyclist".

I have worked very hard at improving my appearance on my
road bike. I've added spiral black and red cork tape to my
black, white, silver and red Trek 2000. Red rims with black
tires but may upgrade to tires with red or silver stripes in
the tread, solely in the name of style.

I no longer wear white socks under my Teva sandals when
there is any possibility of being seen in public (reserved
for back roads tens of miles from anywhere in western
Montana while touring only), and even taken to wearing some
very stylish shades [which almost no one would note are
actually $7 hardware store safety glasses, hee hee!].

My bell has been "stealthified" behind the handlebar stem
and I've mounted the absolute lightest duty rack in the
back, and not loaded it down with panniers or other
disruptions to air flow.

All in an effort to get just a nod from "The Man from Style"
in passing on the road. No smile required. Certainly no arm
wave. Just a look of non-distaste showing a minuscule of
appreciation of my efforts to de-Fredify. Sigh. No luck.

So I simply must tell you, it's time to upgrade your kit if
you want to be a "cyclist"! Otherwise, just spin on the
rollers down in the basement where no one will see you, and
you can pretend.

SMH

Raoul Duke <[email protected]> wrote:
> A DUI can actually be a blessing in disguise. When I got
> mine I rode more, walked more and found that most
> bartenders can be quite accommodating about letting you
> bring your bike into the bar. :cool:

heh, no DUI (i didn't even own a car until i was 27) but in
my early/mid twenties we used to do what we-called the Tour
de Nordeast (of northeast minneapolis bars) and yea, you're
right, a lot of the bartendars were quite accomodating if it
wasn't too busy.

http://www.phototour.minneapolis.mn.us/894
http://www.mayslacks.com/ the polish palace (sniffle)
stasius ne yacht club elsie's bar and bowling center tony
jaro's (erggh, greenies)

next morning!

http://www.phototour.minneapolis.mn.us/897
--
david reuteler [email protected]

"Stephen Harding" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Fabrizio Mazzoleni wrote:
>
> > "TheCyclist2002" <[email protected]> wrote in
> > message ..
> >

> >>To me, it isn't about how far you ride, what you wear,
> >>what type of bike
you
> >>ride, or even how many seasons you ride in. No, none of
> >>that matters.
What make
> >>you a cyclist is the love of the ride!!
> >

> > Look, normaly I'm a really nice guy, but you brought
> > this on yourself. You are what is known as a FRED. You
> > will have lot's of other FREDS to ride with as the roads
> > are clogged with these types.
> >
> > Just don't expect any respect from me. I don't like the
> > why you look, what you ride, who you hang out with, what
> > you wear.
> >
> > If we pass on the road don't try to wave or smile at me,
> > I'm going to have to ignore you.
> >
> > That's the way road riding is and always has been.
> >
> > Real Roadies don't like FREDS.
>
> There you have it Cyclist2002, from the mouth of Mr.
> Style! Enjoyment of the ride is nice, but you must look
> good above all else to be a true "cyclist".
>
> I have worked very hard at improving my appearance on my
> road bike. I've added spiral black and red cork tape to my
> black, white, silver and red Trek 2000. Red rims with
> black tires but may upgrade to tires with red or silver
> stripes in the tread, solely in the name of style.
>
> I no longer wear white socks under my Teva sandals when
> there is any possibility of being seen in public (reserved
> for back roads tens of miles from anywhere in western
> Montana while touring only), and even taken to wearing
> some very stylish shades [which almost no one would note
> are actually $7 hardware store safety glasses, hee hee!].
>
> My bell has been "stealthified" behind the handlebar stem
> and I've mounted the absolute lightest duty rack in the
> back, and not loaded it down with panniers or other
> disruptions to air flow.
>
> All in an effort to get just a nod from "The Man from
> Style" in passing on the road. No smile required.
> Certainly no arm wave. Just a look of non-distaste showing
> a minuscule of appreciation of my efforts to de-Fredify.
> Sigh. No luck.
>
> So I simply must tell you, it's time to upgrade your kit
> if you want to be a "cyclist"! Otherwise, just spin on the
> rollers down in the basement where no one will see you,
> and you can pretend.
>

> SMH

Perhaps if your rack supports were made from titanium, and
the top were carbon fiber...

FWIW, I ride a Trek 5200 and always try to at least nod or
smile at other cyclists. There's not that many of us on the
rural back roads where I ride, and no sense in being a snob.

--
~_-* ...G/ \G http://www.CycliStats.com CycliStats -
Software for Cyclists

Flabby,

No one wants to hear from pathetic convicts like you
watching your reflection in the ReMax mirrored window pane,
playing with "Willie" in clear sight of children.

Didn't you learn a lesson from being locked up and convicted
last season?

Your buddy.

Fabrizio Mazzoleni wrote:

> "TheCyclist2002" <[email protected]> wrote in
> message ..
>

> > To me, it isn't about how far you ride, what you wear,
> > what type of bike you ride, or even how many seasons you
> > ride in. No, none of that matters. What make you a
> > cyclist is the love of the ride!!
>
> Look, normaly I'm a really nice guy, but you brought this
> on yourself. You are what is known as a FRED. You will
> have lot's of other FREDS to ride with as the roads are
> clogged with these types.
>
> Just don't expect any respect from me. I don't like the
> why you look, what you ride, who you hang out with, what
> you wear.
>
> If we pass on the road don't try to wave or smile at me,
> I'm going to have to ignore you.
>
> That's the way road riding is and always has been.
>
> Real Roadies don't like FREDS.

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 15:46:15 -0500, Stephen Harding <[email protected]> from
Computer Science Dept UMass Amherst wrote:

>There you have it Cyclist2002, from the mouth of Mr. Style!
>Enjoyment of the ride is nice, but you must look good above
>all else to be a true "cyclist".

Well, yeah .... where's the problem ?

--
[email protected]
Lost in useless territory.

On 15 Mar 2004 13:52:59 GMT, [email protected] (TheCyclist2002)
wrote:

(snip)
>To me, it isn't about how far you ride, what you wear, what
>type of bike you ride, or even how many seasons you ride
>in. No, none of that matters. What make you a cyclist is
>the love of the ride!!

When I first joined a cycling club, about 13 years ago, I
rather naively showed up on a flat barred hybrid. I got some
odd looks, but this was a recreational club, I had no
trouble maintaining a 15-17 mph pace on 20 to 40 mile rides,
and I was quickly accepted. I do remember one or two slower
riders on road bikes who seemed to resent it when I passed
them, but that was rare.

Still, from observing others, I caught on that a road bike
really was much better for road riding, and I eventually
bought one. I tried lycra shorts, and found that they were
more comfortable. Went from sneakers and toe clips to
clipless (SPD). Still don't shave my legs, and am more
likely to wear a T shirt than a jersey, though I do own
some. I still look like a Fred to the racing wannabes, but
most of the ones I meet are polite enough. And now that I
think of it, "wannabes" is too unkind. Many really do race,
and many who don't are still a lot faster than me.

Yes, you're a cyclist if you cycle, but it turns out there
really are good reasons, not just snobbery, for many of the
things that "serious" cyclists do.

MP

Do you ride in the Minneapolis CM? I rode in Apr 2002 the
month after the improperly impounded bicycles.

David Reuteler wrote:

<snip>

> heh, no DUI (i didn't even own a car until i was 27) but
> in my early/mid twenties we used to do what we-called the
> Tour de Nordeast (of northeast minneapolis bars) and yea,
> you're right, a lot of the bartendars were quite
> accomodating if it wasn't too busy.
>
> http://www.phototour.minneapolis.mn.us/894
<snip>
> http://www.phototour.minneapolis.mn.us/897
> --
> david reuteler [email protected]

In article <[email protected]>,
TheCyclist2002 <[email protected]> wrote:
>Some people say that if you don't finish a century, you're
>not a cyclist.
>
>Some people say that if you don't shave your legs, you're
>not a cyclist.
>
>Some people say that if you ride a 'discount store' bike,
>you're not a cyclist.
>
>Some people say that if you wear sweatpants and a t-shirt
>or sweatshirt, you're not a cyclist.

Well, acording to most of what you say, I'm a cyclist (I
don't shave, though). However, I don't consider myself to be
a cyclist. I just like riding a bike.

-Pete
--

"It's a sad day for american capitalism when a man can't
fly a midget on a kite over Central Park."

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 18:32:44 GMT, "Fabrizio Mazzoleni"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>If we pass on the road don't try to wave or smile at me,
>I'm going to have to ignore you.

Hmph. Thanks for letting a new cyclist know what they are in
for. I have seen this in other areas, also. Equestrians are
pretty bad about it, and there is the "Sail" versus
"Stinkpot" true believers at marinas, etc. etc.

I enjoyed cycling this weekend, even though it was a bit
cold. I wasn't really cycling of course, because I was not
in _costume_. I was wearing _shoes_ and _jeans_ and a
leather jacket. Bet that has caused an apoplectic aesthetic
crisis! Well, whatever it was I was doing, I enjoyed it and
felt good afterward. Good enough to return to many other
interests. It's cycling. If someone wants to make it a
religion, that's their right. They can even condemn
heretics, for all I care.

I am going to ride in a loose flannel shirt, or nothing at
all, if I feel like it. One thing I am not going to ride in
is a pack of judgemental assholes.

"Fabrizio Mazzoleni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Look, normaly I'm a really nice guy, but you brought this
> on yourself. You are what is known as a FRED. You will
> have lot's of other FREDS to ride with as the roads are
> clogged with these types.
>
> Just don't expect any respect from me. I don't like the
> why you look, what you ride, who you hang out with, what
> you wear.
>
> If we pass on the road don't try to wave or smile at me,
> I'm going to have to ignore you.
>
> That's the way road riding is and always has been.
>
> Real Roadies don't like FREDS.

I may be considered a "FRED" but I don't really care because
for me it's not about the looks or styling but it's ALL
about seeing what I can achieve (distance & speed). I may
not have the money to buy the latest titanium parts but
generally speaking I don't need them when I come across
cyclist snobs because they are mostly bark and no bite. Most
cycling snobs are dressed really well and have the nicest
bikes but I always think to myself how it's a shame to spend
all that money to trim off a few grams off the bike when
they really should be more concerned about trimming a few
pounds off their bodies.

But hey, if it makes you feel better to look down on those
"FREDS" then go ahead. I'm still riding for the complete
enjoyment and I certainly don't care if I have your respect.
Just move aside when you see me coming up behind you. ;-)

Dan.