Why the TOC stinks

Mtventoux

Jun 30, 2005
Dont get me wrong, it is great to see such a big-time event in the US, and it gets a lot of great support and coverage. But, this won't be a great race until the TT is not the only deciding stage! It is one stage, and 6 training rides with a big field sprint. At it's current format, the TT winner will win this race every time, barring a crash at some point. How about one mountain top finish? Even the Tour de Georgia includes at least one. That said, Levi would still have won this year....but it is too predictable. They had like 30 miles after the one tough mountain this year. Plenty of time for nearly everyone to get back on. I realize this race is early, but toughen up the GC a little, huh!

Mtventoux said:
Dont get me wrong, it is great to see such a big-time event in the US, and it gets a lot of great support and coverage. But, this won't be a great race until the TT is not the only deciding stage! It is one stage, and 6 training rides with a big field sprint. At it's current format, the TT winner will win this race every time, barring a crash at some point. How about one mountain top finish? Even the Tour de Georgia includes at least one. That said, Levi would still have won this year....but it is too predictable. They had like 30 miles after the one tough mountain this year. Plenty of time for nearly everyone to get back on. I realize this race is early, but toughen up the GC a little, huh!
One only needs to see that they don't even conduct bloods tests at the ToC !!!! add this to the fact of no EPO tests last year and you've got a junkies paradise for Discovery.... and to think even Michael Barry one of Americans own thinks its a sham... and also to think T-Mobile conduct their own blood tests and the ToC doesn't ! Shame on North America !

The question remains as to why North American racing has not adopted blood-testing as part of a standard doping control procedure. "I have no idea why they haven't done blood testing in the USA," T-Mobile's Michael Barry told Cyclingnews at the Tour of California. "I imagine it has something to do with financial or legal reasons. But I was talking to a lot of the guys from [US pro team] Health Net and riders who race here, and no one has been blood tested. But, I think it would be a good idea to adopt it in the North America. There is all this talk about EPO testing but the biggest and most effective controls in Europe have been the hematocrit tests and it would make sense to use those here as well."

Barry's boss, T-Mobile team manager Bob Stapleton has implemented an aggressive team anti-doping initiative for 2007 and his frank comments echo his corporate experience outside of cycling. "I think that blood testing is one of the most useful things you can do in terms of any anti-doping programs," Stapleton explained to Cyclingnews. "Building blood profiles really track athletes over time is one of the most productive uses to testing research. The problem is it raises the sophistication of collecting samples dramatically. You have to have lombothomists that are trained in handling of blood, and the sample of blood is much more problematic and it is a big increase in cost and sophistication. It is a tremendous increase in complexity."

Stapleton continued, "I understand why some of it hasn't happened in many federations for practical reasons because it is a big challenge. But I also feel that it is the best thing we can do. I think the other aspect of anti-doping in terms of improving efficiency and effectiveness is to really do target testing of specific riders, specific events and specific times. We know that in preparation for certain events there is a doping process in place. So if we can pick athletes that are not normally tested to make things fair across all the athlete pool where everyone has the same chance of being tested that's done at times where it is more likely to have doping or blood manipulation, it should be done then and blood needs to be drawn. I think those are very clear steps that can be taken to improve the effectiveness of anti-doping."

Stapleton also explained that "I see blood testing becoming a cornerstone of the ProTour's anti-doping efforts but I think that USADA is one of the most progressive [anti-doping agencies], and I would like to see them grab this and work with it more. They are much better on the whereabouts and tracking profiles athletes than many other anti-doping agencies are. I am hoping that they can increase the use of blood testing in anti-doping for US athletes in US races."

Former US TT champion Chris Baldwin of Toyota-United weighed in on the topic. "I can't verbalize how irate it makes me that there is this war on doping and the things we do to put ourselves out there and to be tested at home or out of competition, to be in that clean group of riders, and they did not test for EPO at a race of this calibre last year!" Baldwin firmly stated. "It's out of my realm to comment on blood testing. I just wish that they did blood test and that there was more testing. There needs to be more. I am tested at home several times a month and I wish they would test more in the events. When I am tested it is always a urine test."

UCI's medical officer at the Tour of California, Shawn Farrell, is unaware of why he is sent to certain races and not others or why blood testing is not used. "I am not really in that loop," Farrell said. "The UCI sends me to do anti-doping at certain events and they tell me whether they are doing urine or blood. I know that they come here occasionally for blood testing but there is a very select group that they do that with and I have never been asked. I am not apart of the decision making process."

Farrell added, "The UCI decided each year which races are several lists for blood testing. There is the A-list which means the UCI is going to assign the anti-doping inspectors for each specific race. There is the B-list and that means that the federation has to send someone or USADA provides the anti-doping inspector. The UCI also decides which races have to have blood testing and that is totally up to them."

Why no blood testing in the USA seems to be a question that can only be answered by the UCI. But as far as the 2007 Tour of California is concerned there have been requests made and measures taken to conduct EPO testing via urine testing conducted at the UCLA Olympic Lab. Amgen, the title sponsor of the race, has taken steps to educate the public on the correct use of their products. Michael Barry further emphasized "I think first and for most EPO is a very effective drug in fighting cancer and that is important and means a lot in the cancer community. Amgen has done a lot for our sport of cycling with the rides and the race, plus all the promotion they have done for the sport and for the cancer community is unforgettable."

T-Mobile blood tests have started

T-Mobile has already done two blood volume tests on its riders, as well as one round of unannounced tests on selected riders, according to team doctor Lothar Heinrich.

The blood volume tests are part of the team's anti-doping program, and will be repeated periodically to identify any changes which might indicate the use of illegal products. The first round of tests was done at the team's meeting in Lugano in November, and the second round was conducted at the Mallorca training camp in January.

"The first unannounced control during competition was held at the Mallorca Challenge," Heinrich noted on the team's website, t-mobile-team.com. "We will use this data and all the other blood values to put together the so-called blood profile, which will be sent to an independent panel of experts for their review and analysis."

davidbod said:
Shame on you for posting such infactual garbage (as usual I might add) maybe you shoudl go on the ignore list as well:

http://www.sanluisobispo.com/mld/sanluisobispo/sports/16721442.htm
Michael Barry is now a T-Mobile saleman. I would not believe anything he says or writes. He was pitching the T-Mobile doping policies BEFORE they were inacted--as if he knew anything at all about anti-doping.

He was a USPO doper and is another example of a Frankie Andreu incarnation.

Whatever T-Mobile is doing, it won't stop their daily injections of:

EPO
hGH
testosterone
hCG
IGF-1
insulin-glucose
stimulants

whiteboytrash said:
One only needs to see that they don't even conduct bloods tests at the ToC !!!! add this to the fact of no EPO tests last year and you've got a junkies paradise for Discovery.... and to think even Michael Barry one of Americans own thinks its a sham... and also to think T-Mobile conduct their own blood tests and the ToC doesn't ! Shame on North America !

[/size]

The fact that ToC did not test for EPO last year is ridiculous.

WBT- Why in God's name does every other post you write have to be a slam at the U.S.? Yeah, ToC didn't test for EPO last year, but this is almost certainly a function of the sponsor, a multinational corporation involved in the manufacture of the drug, not of some sort of inherent American contempt for fair play. Cheating and drug use is a global phenomenon and has nothing to do with nationality or the stereotypical disposition of a country's people. I generally enjoy your take on cycling and am grateful for the pictures, but the ceaseless harping on my country is f-ing boring.

tcklyde said:
The fact that ToC did not test for EPO last year is ridiculous.

WBT- Why in God's name does every other post you write have to be a slam at the U.S.? Yeah, ToC didn't test for EPO last year, but this is almost certainly a function of the sponsor, a multinational corporation involved in the manufacture of the drug, not of some sort of inherent American contempt for fair play. Cheating and drug use is a global phenomenon and has nothing to do with nationality or the stereotypical disposition of a country's people. I generally enjoy your take on cycling and am grateful for the pictures, but the ceaseless harping on my country is f-ing boring.
Amgen made that call. No EPO busts--cause we will NOT tolerate testing!

Besides, America allows lets cheats off:

Marion Jones
Lance Armstrong
Shawne Merriman
barry Bonds
Jason Giambi
Gary Sheffield

Mtventoux said:
I agree. There are plenty of mountains in California, I'm sure they could find at least one that is suitable for a finish at the top.

Why should they test? According to so many here all the pros have used PED's, do use PED's and the tests for them are no good anyway? Seems like just another way to slam Discovery and the US?

I do agree there should be a mountain top finish

Please put things into perspective. The Tour of California is a mid February race. The point is not super intense racing or really roughing it up! This is about getting some good riding in, hopefully in a place with good weather. And throw in the fact that it is in the U.S., hopefully a growth area for pro cycling...

Real racing will start soon enough... and continue through to Lombardia and Paris Tours in October!

No one will prepare specifically for this race, with the exception of young Americans hoping to be noticed by big teams... [IMHO, of course]

[edit: typos]

Powerful Pete said:
Please put things into perspective. The Tour of California is a mid February race. The point is not super intense racing or really roughing it up! This is about getting some good riding in, hopefully in a place with good weather. And throw in the fact that it is in the U.S., hopefully a growth area for pro cycling...

Real racing will start soon enough... and continue through to Lombardia and Paris Tours in October!

No one will prepare specifically for this race, with the exception of young Americans hoping to be noticed by big teams... [IMHO, of course]

The position in the calendar, and the distance from Europe are two big hurdles. BUT - Vuelta a Murcia came within a few days of disappearing, ProTour riders might be banned from Paris-Nice... there are quite a few opportunities for a younger race that's as well-organized, supported, and enthusiastic as the ToC is, to sneak in and become much more important. Stretching it to ten days would give some extra time on each end to recover from jet lag too.

DiabloScott said:
Stretching it to ten days would give some extra time on each end to recover from jet lag too.
Ten days ... too long. Better to have 2 races: ToC and a 1or2-3days race the next week-end!

10 days is not too long. The prolouge could be Friday night under the lights. That would be a big attraction. Then 9 stages leaves enough time to deemphasize the TT. This race MUST have at least one mountaintop finish. I just don't think one TT should decide a week long stage race.

DiabloScott said:
The position in the calendar, and the distance from Europe are two big hurdles. BUT - Vuelta a Murcia came within a few days of disappearing, ProTour riders might be banned from Paris-Nice... there are quite a few opportunities for a younger race that's as well-organized, supported, and enthusiastic as the ToC is, to sneak in and become much more important. Stretching it to ten days would give some extra time on each end to recover from jet lag too.
Fair enough re: the ProTour issue, but I believe that the organisers will win in the end... what cards does UCI hold if ASO and RCS begin to pick and choose who rides their races?

A lot also depends on sponsors. Do Saunier Duval, Quickstep or Lampre really care about exposure in California, for example? More American companies in the big league would mean more interest for teams in US races, distance from Europe and calendar permitting.

I believe there is something of a backlash from organisers and some fans here in Europe re: 'foreign' races à la Langkawi and Tour of California... which are 'accepted' given their position in the quais off-season. ASO and RCS will make sure that they are not exposed to too much competition which might detract from a Tirreno-Adriatico or a Paris-Tours...

I believe there is something of a backlash from organisers and some fans here in Europe re:
Include major sponsors in this and TV and you have got a real rebellion on your hands

I agree with the comment made above that for many/most of the "primary" team sponsers (i.e, those with the team named after them) it is not clear that they benefit any from exposure outside of Europe (exceptions would be Discovery and T-Mobile). But, that isn't necessarily the case for the secondary sponsors, especially the equipment sponsors (bike makers, Shimano, Campy, Look, etc.), who ARE interested in expanding sales in the US and elsewhere. It may also lead to bigger, more global companies wanting to sponsor teams, or potentially sharing lead-sponsorship with an existing team.

Formula 1 (auto racing) very successfully managed the transition from being Europe-centric to being global, without alienating the core fan base in Europe (and also without ever really succeeding in the US). The transition took a long time, of course.

Touché on the Forumula 1 example, but that is a bit of stretch in comparison to cycling, IMHO. Just about any male will gladly get very excited about fast cars zooming around a track, the monetary investment is on a hugely different scale, and there are plenty of babes holding umbrellas at the start of each race.

Formula 1 was rooted in the European automotive tradition and expanded to places where people have gotten into cars and was not challenged by home-grown motor sports (witness the fact that the US, with its own motor sport tradition, has been a much harder sell for F1).

Cycling is much more rooted in tradition - and let us be honest, we are a relatively small subset of weirdos (I am proud to be one!) - we enjoy cycling and watching really thin guys with shaved legs suffer over incredible distances. You have to have grown up with this to love it, IMHO. I doubt that other large markets (such as the US) will ever develop the mass following of cycling - the best that can be done remains a Lance Armstrong winning everything and overcoming cancer and sticking it to those silly Euros. From what I am told interest has immediately begun declining in the US amongst the general public (an interest which was extremely thin anyway) and it is the hard core in cycling 'areas' (California, Colorado?, etc) that remain involved.

In my own US family (I am married to an American) where my cycling hobby is tolerated (the watch politely as I suit up and ride my bike, and ask why I have to leave the neighboorhood bike path) there is a vague recognition that some guy named Lance won the TdF and that that is an important race.

Apologies for the stream of consciousness post...

In other words, how much sense does it make to focus on globalised cycling when the traditional target group (the only places where you can mobilise wide public opinion and get cycling regularly on the 20:00 evening news) remains in a very confined area?

The Americans who are into cycling are great for the sport and for the industry, but I have my doubts that we will ever see cycling as a mass-media sport in the US (it is suffering quite a bit in Europe also, BTW, with football and the like).

rschleicher said:
Formula 1 (auto racing) very successfully managed the transition from being Europe-centric to being global, without alienating the core fan base in Europe (and also without ever really succeeding in the US). The transition took a long time, of course.
I think I would question how well Formula 1 has managed to become global. It is watched on TV in lots of countries, but right now most of the races outside of europe look to be nothing more than publicity stunts for the host countries. Given the huge cost to construct a Formula 1 track and the money you have to fork over to Bernie every year, not many of the races seem to make much economic sense. The race in Bahrain is the equivalent of the Tour of Qatar. It adds a little exotic flavor to the series but the heart of the sport is still in europe.

I think expanding cycling outside of europe requires one of two things. Either some of the existing european races need to be removed or the sport needs to grow to the point where you can have two important races going on simulatneously. It would be tragic if the long running european races were to go away, so you are left with the second option. Right now the money is not there to support that.

Bro Deal said:
I think I would question how well Formula 1 has managed to become global. It is watched on TV in lots of countries, but right now most of the races outside of europe look to be nothing more than publicity stunts for the host countries. Given the huge cost to construct a Formula 1 track and the money you have to fork over to Bernie every year, not many of the races seem to make much economic sense. The race in Bahrain is the equivalent of the Tour of Qatar. It adds a little exotic flavor to the series but the heart of the sport is still in europe.
Fair enough. But the fact that there appear to be a number of countries, from Turkey to Bahrain to China, that are willing to fork out the money for an F1 track tells me there is some real interest in F1... at least on the part of the cigarette companies...

Perhaps cycling will never become a truly global sport, but all the same I hope they keep some minor stage races in the US. Actually being at the race is so much better than just watching a video.

Was rather encouraged by the crowds at the ToC this year. Cycling isn't dead over here, by any means. I'm still riding...