Why the TOC stinks

JohnO said:
Perhaps cycling will never become a truly global sport, but all the same I hope they keep some minor stage races in the US. Actually being at the race is so much better than just watching a video.

Was rather encouraged by the crowds at the ToC this year. Cycling isn't dead over here, by any means. I'm still riding...
Cycling is very much alive and well.

Commercial pharmaceutically-based Grand Tours are as D E A D as doping disgraced Jan Ulrich and Floyd Landis are.

Amateur road racing MUST never be confused with institutionally corrupt (drugged and fixed events).

One is WWE scripted for maximum revenues, the other a passionate Corinthian pursuit of family fun.

Want to make the ToC more exciting and less predictable? As well as a heap of other small stage races?

Ban team 2 way radios.

This would change the predictable format so many flat / hilly races now follow. Break away, peloton begins the chase at the appropriate time, bunch sprint.

DS's generally have it down pat to catch a break away in the last 10km or so. By catching a break away at the end of a race / stage it doesn't allow for a new break away to begin, as the peloton is going so fast at that point.

If the peloton didn't know how far away the break away was precisely at any point in time, they would have to take there chances. Chase sooner with the prospect of catching the break away too early where more attacks could be made or chase too late and the break away survives.

The removal of 2 way radios would change the dynamics of road racing over night. And there is nothing traditional about cycling and radios.

Rhubarb said:
Ban team 2 way radios.
+1 to that.

I think this falls into the same category as a lot of driver aids in F1. All the fans want them banned but the powers that be never do anything.

OT, but I agree. Banning radios would make ALL pro races far more exciting. Go back to the chalk board on the motorcycle for the guys in the break. Grazie e arrivederci.

Much less control and much more 'trouble' for the big teams trying to run the race with the least possible effort.

Tim Lamkin said:
Would it change the safety aspect of it?
Is this a really major issue? In every race I was in people were able to communicate things whistling/yelling whenever necessary...

Powerful Pete said:
Is this a really major issue? In every race I was in people were able to communicate things whistling/yelling whenever necessary...
Good point