Will Riis be next ??

ad9898

Jun 16, 2004
Quoted from Boomberg 25minutes ago

Riis News Conference

Denmark's Bjarne Riis, who won the 1996 Tour de France with the Telekom team, will hold a news conference in Copenhagen tomorrow, Deutsche Presse-Agentur reported. Brian Nygaard, a spokesman for the CSC team that Riis now manages, didn't immediately answer a phone message seeking comment.

I wonder.

Two possible outcomes:

1. He comes clean and admits to have doped while in Telekom.
2. He denies everything.

My money is on option #2.

Here's a good recap of the T-Mob affair I found, of all places, on the dailypeloton's forum. Author's handle is Strategy:

Since the Telekom thread has been usurped by another kind of doping discussion, I thought I'd try to consolidate the facts on the Telekom confessions here.

What has happened:

* D'Hont has written a book, in which he discusses organized doping at Telekom. He states that Godefroot was responsible (and essentially hired D'Hont for that purpose), and alleges that doping was widespread and open on the team. He states specifically that Bjarne Riis and Jan Ullrich doped, and implicates Andreas Schmid and Lothar Heinrich (T-Mobile team doctors) in the practice. D'Hont also stated that Zabel was the only rider on the team who did not want to take doping.

* Bert Dietz (Telekom 94-98) confirmed doping on Telekom, again implicating the two team doctors and D'Hont. He refused to implicate any other riders and indicated that doping although offered to everyone, was individual. He does state that there was significant pressure on the riders to dope. He is alleged to have received a substantial amount of money from the TV station for his confession.

* Brian Holm had already written a book in 2002 ("Smertens Glæde - Joy of Pain") in which he admitted to having used doping once, although without any specifics. He has consistently denied throughout all allegations that doping was open. On Dietz's confession, he expressed his surprise as he had thought Dietz was one of the clean riders. Holm has now clarified the confession in his book; he states that he took EPO twice in his career - both in 1996.

* Christian Henn followed up by admitting to doping from 1995 to 1999. Henn tested positive for testoterone in 1999, after which he stopped his career.

* Godefroot denies categorically any involvement, and explains any testimony implicating him as being due to motivations of vengeance (D'Hont) or money (Dietz). Godefroot says that he always worked to minimize the influence of doctors in the sport.

* Peter Meinert (Telekom 96, USP 97-99, Team Fakta 00-03) has confirmed that he was aware that doping occured at Telekom, but denies having ever participated in it (although he admits to being tempted). Even this small admission is a turn-around - previously Meinert denied ever having been aware of doping.

* Jens Heppner (Telekom 92-02) denies any involvement in doping and denies any extensive knowledge of doping on the team. He states that parts of Dietz's confessions appear untrue to him.

* Stefen Wesemann (Telekom/T-mobile 93- 06) also denies any involvement in doping and says he was never offered any doping either.

* Georg Totschnig (Telekom 97-00) also denies knowledge of doping on the team.

* Olaf Ludwig has refused to comment so far.

* Mario Kummer (Telekom 94-98, DS 04-06) has refused to comment so far.

* Danilo Hondo (Telekom 99 - 03) says that he hasn't experienced any of the stuff Dietz claims, but adds that this may have been due to the after-effects of the Festina affair. He denies having received any doping products while riding for Telekom.

* Andreas Schmid, M.D., has now confessed to doping Telekom riders since the mid-90s, in particular with EPO. He denies having distributed doping products to any rider who did not ask for it, or against their will.

* Lothar Heinrich, M.D., has also confessed to facilitating doping.

* Udo Bolts (famous for Quel Dich, du sau) has confessed to using EPO from 1996 to 1997. He stated that he started in '96 in order to make the Tour team after a lackluster 1995 season. He rode for Telekom until 2002, and at Gerolsteiner in 2003.

* Bjarne Riis has so far not commented on the confessions. Through the press, Holm has encouraged Riis to make a statement, though specifically worded such that Holm's words cannot be taken as an accusation of doping against Riis. Until last year, Riis had never directly denied doping, until last year when pressured during a live TV interview.

* Rolf Aldag has confessed at a press conference today. He admitted doping from 94-98. After that he didn't dare due to the Festina scandal, but says he picked up use again in 2002-03. Aldag is said to have offered his resignation to Stapleton two weeks ago.

* Erik Zabel has confessed. After testing positive for saddle cream in '94, he refused to dope at all. In '96, spurred by realization that winning without EPO was impossible, he used EPO during the 1996 Tour. He says the side effects were bad for him, and after that he never doped again. He says that his son is entering the sport, and he would hope that the son would be able to compete in a clean sport, but is sad because things do not seem to have improved much. He says he does not want to lie to his son any more. Zabel says that he rides clean today.

* Both Aldag and Zabel state that they received EPO from D'Hont. Both state that they actively requested it. Aldag adds that he sprayed EPO into a tattoo (to hide the punctures). Both state that that this was done privately so that others would not be aware of the doping. Aldag states that the doctors knew and warned against the use of EPO. Aldag adds that he never paid any money to Godefroot, and that G's attitude was that he did not want to speak about medical things. Zabel says he paid to D'Hont and discussed his symptoms with Schmid.

* Bjarne Riis will be forced to make a statement soon, and the pressure on him to admit doping will be enormeous. Consider the roll call of the 1996 Telekom team:
Bjarne Riis - ?
Rolf Aldag - admitted doping in 1996
Udo Bölts - admitted doping in 1996
Christian Henn - admitted doping in 1996
Jens Heppner - denies doping
Brian Holm - admitted doping in 1996
Mario Kummer - ?
Jan Ullrich - under investigation for doping in Operation Puerto 2006.
Erik Zabel - admitted doping in 1996

* The pressure on Jan Ullrich to confess fully and completely will be enormeous as well.

* T-Mobile confirmed at the press conference with Aldag and Zabel that they intend to continue their current sponsorship. The current deal ends in 2010. The University of Freiburg has fired Schmid and Heinrich, and have terminated all relations with the T-Mobile teams (in effect, T-Mobile is now without team doctors at all - a big problem for the injured riders on the team).

* Jan Ullrich's lawyer has responded to the recent round of confessions. Ullrich's talent was so great he did not need to dope when he won in 1997, is the lawyer's statement.

* Bjarne Riis has indeed called for a press conference tommorrow, friday.

No way he'll confess.
He'll deny everything, but everyone know he doped, he doped heavily.
If he confesses? Well, it should turn cycling upside down... He's ex winner of the greatest race, he was riding with "greatest cycling talent" - also TDF winner (retired obviously 'cause of doping), he's manager of the best Pro Tour team...
Too much to loose if he confesses.

Andrija said:
No way he'll confess.
If he confesses? Well, it should turn cycling upside down... He's ex winner of the greatest race, he was riding with "greatest cycling talent" - also TDF winner (retired obviously 'cause of doping), he's manager of the best Pro Tour team...
I think he would be best off by saying that everyone in the sport was using EPO at that time and he was no different. Everyone knows that's what was going on, so it's not like it will be a surprise. He can then spend some time talking about what CSC is doing to clean up the sport so the new generation is not forced to go through what his generation went through.

An outright denial runs the risk of be contradicted by T-Mob's doctors, especially if there is a criminal investigation and the doctors are deposed under oath.

Bro Deal said:
I think he would be best off by saying that everyone in the sport was using EPO at that time and he was no different. Everyone knows that's what was going on, so it's not like it will be a surprise. He can then spend some time talking about what CSC is doing to clean up the sport so the new generation is not forced to go through what his generation went through.

An outright denial runs the risk of be contradicted by T-Mob's doctors, especially if there is a criminal investigation and the doctors are deposed under oath.
You're right, but if he confesses, even by saying: "Everyone did it, and you all know that.", he is far, far away from credibility to run a team and fight against doping.

P.S.
What do you all think, is Andy Schleck new "world's greatest cycling talent ever"?
I wonder if he would ride so well if he wasn't in Riis' team.

Andrija said:
P.S.
What do you all think, is Andy Schleck new "world's greatest cycling talent ever"?
As someone posted on another forum, how do you say "brother of friend of Birillo" in Spanish? :D

Andrija said:
You're right, but if he confesses, even by saying: "Everyone did it, and you all know that.", he is far, far away from credibility to run a team and fight against doping.

P.S.
Why do security companies hire the best hackers? Because they are the only one that know how to break in. So in a way, it makes a lot of sense of hire a doper to run a 'clean' team, if he really wants to have a clean team.

Are you saying that you don't believe that people can change? That maybe as a businessman he saw that doping was bad for the bottom line last year?

I am not playing the game anymore of saying 'ohh look that rider is good', it must be because he doped. The same reaction to last year's hyping of Hincapie as the next great Tour winner.... or Danielson as the new great american hope.... on and on. It gets very tiresome don't you think?

btw I do think that most of the proTour cheats, with different levels, for example I don't believe that all riders blood dope (which would explain the peloton at 2 speeds) but I do think they all skirt the line.

lastly, I think that Riis is a very intelligent man and saw the writing on the wall last year with OP, and will try and walk the clean line (for awhile at least). Bruyneel, obviously thought it was still business as usual and got burnt by the Basso signing (and soon Contador).

Andrija said:
No way he'll confess.
Also Riis victory ended the career of Indurain.
Without Riis and T-Mobile, would Indurain have won in 1996? Perhaps make it to the podium?

sopas said:
Also Riis victory ended the career of Indurain.
Without Riis and T-Mobile, would Indurain have won in 1996? Perhaps make it to the podium?
Serves him right after he himself "cheated" some one else in 91, 92, 93, 94 and 95.

I wonder if a huge wave of confessions will leave the last few "holdouts" in a compromised position? It seems to me that Armstrong, Hamilton and Landis have gone to such extreme lengths to deny any involvement in doping whatsoever, that it would be virtually impossible for them to reverse course now. When you take a lie beyond a certain point, it gets increasingly difficult to back out of it. Their attacks on the lab, doping agencies and other cyclists who've implicated them will be exposed as particularly dishonest and unjust, apart from the doping itself. On the other hand, if they maintain their current posititons and the entire rest of the cycling world admits to doping, their position will be utterly untenable (i.e., they all won huge races while being the only clean riders surrounded by hundreds of dopers). To some extent, Ullrich is on the borderline to putting himself in the same position, given his legal actions against Dr. Franke.

fbircher said:
I wonder if a huge wave of confessions will leave the last few "holdouts" in a compromised position? It seems to me that Armstrong, Hamilton and Landis have gone to such extreme lengths to deny any involvement in doping whatsoever, that it would be virtually impossible for them to reverse course now. When you take a lie beyond a certain point, it gets increasingly difficult to back out of it. Their attacks on the lab, doping agencies and other cyclists who've implicated them will be exposed as particularly dishonest and unjust, apart from the doping itself. On the other hand, if they maintain their current posititons and the entire rest of the cycling world admits to doping, their position will be utterly untenable (i.e., they all won huge races while being the only clean riders surrounded by hundreds of dopers). To some extent, Ullrich is on the borderline to putting himself in the same position, given his legal actions against Dr. Franke.
Armstrong will never confess. His public persona would be destroyed. All cycling fans with a brain already know he was doped, but the man on the street doesn't. And the opinion of man on the street is what gives Armstrong his fame and his money.

I can sort of see Hamilton eventually coming clean. His reputation is in tatters anyway.

I would like to see Riis talk about what was going on at Gewiss. That will suck more people ino the scandal.

thecyclist said:
Serves him right after he himself "cheated" some one else in 91, 92, 93, 94 and 95.
I am not questioning that, I am just asking if Indurian would have won in 1996 without T-mobile.

Bro Deal said:
He can then spend some time talking about what CSC is doing to clean up the sport so the new generation is not forced to go through what his generation went through.
I think the genie is already out of the bottle. Cycling, and sport in general, will never be without doping. It never has.

Sorry to be so pessimistic.

helmutRoole2 said:
I think the genie is already out of the bottle. Cycling, and sport in general, will never be without doping. It never has.

Sorry to be so pessimistic.
I am just saying that this is how Riis should spin his confession. He should spend as much or more time talking about the anti-drug program CSC has today.

Bro Deal said:
I am just saying that this is how Riis should spin his confession. He should spend as much or more time talking about the anti-drug program CSC has today.
Yeah, I guess. There are reformed drug addicts running re-hab clinics. That's a little different though.

sopas said:
I am not questioning that, I am just asking if Indurian would have won in 1996 without T-mobile.
Indurain cracked badly in 1996, it wasn't just the Telekom riders going past him.
I don't think Indurain was going to win the TDF in 1996, he was clearly off form.

Bro Deal said:

Word. Fingers crossed.

earth_dweller said:
Why do security companies hire the best hackers? Because they are the only one that know how to break in. So in a way, it makes a lot of sense of hire a doper to run a 'clean' team, if he really wants to have a clean team.
Basso wasn't exactly a shining example of that though; could be a hard angle to use given the recent past.

Not that I think Riis should be cast a side if he confesses. Right now I think the ex-dopers now confessing, who have a lot to loose by doing so, are the most important men in cycling.

fbircher said:
Very good point. There are are number of key figures in cycling well beyond the point of no return.

I wonder what is going through Armstrong's mind at the moment. He must be thinking 'How the hell did this happen?' The omerta, remember the omerta damn it!

He sure has been quiet for an anti doper crusader.

One thing that does come to mind is that Armstrong always used the term of having never used 'performing enhancing drugs'. If he happened to blood dope alone he is technically correct and could one day come forward, confess, and maintain that he he cheated but never lied.