Will Riis be next ??

Rhubarb said:
Not that I think Riis should be cast a side if he confesses. Right now I think the ex-dopers now confessing, who have a lot to loose by doing so, are the most important men in cycling.

Which, hopefully, should give the other riders all the more motivation and balls to admit their wrong-doings and begin to clean this soap-opera up.

Powerful Pete said:
Two possible outcomes:

1. He comes clean and admits to have doped while in Telekom.
2. He denies everything.

My money is on option #2.

PP we need to go easy here.... Riis puts a lot into cycling... yes he was on the gear back in the 90's but we already knew that... tomorrow it will be confirmed..... however we need Riis, his money, his motivation to stay in the sport... lets not run him out of town..... this town is to big just for Bruyneel..... would shouldn't be to cycnical... things in the 90's were a lot different than they are now....

The question should be did Riis as a DS promote, suggest, encourage doping, or look the other way when he had knowledge that doping existed on CSC.

Its fine and dandy to say 'everyone did it years ago' but the issue is what were his actions as a team manager. Personally, I think admitting doping years ago is stage one in the process. Who really believes that once a doper, who profits to the tune of a TdF win, you suddenly cease to promote doping as a team owner.

whiteboytrash said:
PP we need to go easy here.... Riis puts a lot into cycling... yes he was on the gear back in the 90's but we already knew that... tomorrow it will be confirmed..... however we need Riis, his money, his motivation to stay in the sport... lets not run him out of town..... this town is to big just for Bruyneel..... would shouldn't be to cycnical... things in the 90's were a lot different than they are now....
WBT, I am not so convinced that Riis is un-replaceable. In any event, let us see what comes out of the press conference today... :confused:

poulidor said:
Danke schön.
I hope that we will have a beautifol Tour but.... I see new probelems coming. Di Luca told reporters today that the Telekom riders should keep their mouth shut about things that are 11 years ago and he does not understand what they want to achieve. Lefever and De Rooij also made statements that they want to close the case...

cyclingheroes said:
Di Luca told reporters today that the Telekom riders should keep their mouth shut about things that are 11 years ago and he does not understand what they want to achieve. Lefever and De Rooij also made statements that they want to close the case...

Yea Di Luca also yelled at his team mate who beat him across the line in the TTT, even though he got the pink jersey soon enough.

This guy is a 'class act'. He needs to realize, clean up the sport, or eventually find a new job.

TrekDedicated said:
Yea Di Luca also yelled at his team mate who beat him across the line in the TTT, even though he got the pink jersey soon enough.

This guy is a 'class act'. He needs to realize, clean up the sport, or eventually find a new job.
Not in Italy: 6 pages in todays Gazzetta about the faboulos ride of Di Luca yesterday, one about Zabel and Aldag...

I am not a big fan of DiLuca's these days. I mean, check out the the size of the guy's jaw and brow. http://www.cyclingfans.com/arc04-18-05-04-25-05.html Did he always look like this? I can't find any pictures from earlier in his career. And his attitude is getting surly. The Giro has shown a nasty side of the Killer.

cyclingheroes said:
I hope that we will have a beautifol Tour but.... I see new probelems coming. Di Luca told reporters today that the Telekom riders should keep their mouth shut about things that are 11 years ago and he does not understand what they want to achieve. Lefever and De Rooij also made statements that they want to close the case...

Team CSC Press Release

[25.05 16:19] Concerning the current debate in Germany, Bjarne Riis would like to give the following statement:

After the long run of confessions concerning the Telekom team in the 1990s, I have decided to give a statement about my involvement.

I have decided this for two reasons.

First of all, I'm doing this to keep the focus on the work we are doing today that keeps cycling in the right perspective. The massive steps we have taken to fight doping and the ways in which we have secured that the team rests on the right and proper foundations.

I think if we are to talk about doping, we should talk about what to do now and not about the mistakes in the past. The recent developments in Germany have taken the balance out of this and therefore I want to set the record straight. And I want to do this, because the future of cycling needs the right focus.

Second of all, I'm doing this to get rid of the endless discussions about things that are truly in the past and that I personally have put behind a long time ago. I don't want my personal past to overshadow that work and brilliant effort that Team CSC is doing today. We are the number one team in the world for the second year running and I want my riders and sponsors to be proud of that. They work, within the rules, with passion, professionalism and commitment and I want them to keep on doing that. When I was a rider in the 1990s, I worked extremely hard to get my results. I worked extremely hard, day in day out and I sacrificed a lot just even to be part of the best. In that time, the perspective on doping and preparation was wrong and misguided.

That also means that I did things that I shouldn't have and I have regretted that ever since. Those were mistakes that I take the full responsibility for and I don't have anyone to blame but myself. We all make mistakes and I think my biggest mistake was to let my ambition get the better of me. That I have had to deal with a long time ago and I am glad to say that I am a lot wiser now. Both in my personal and in my professional life.

I don't want the mistakes of my personal past to stand in the way of the work we are doing today. I did what it took to compete at the highest level back then, and it's a deep satisfaction for me that those days are long gone and the sport has moved in the right direction. If that wasn't the case, I wouldn't be here today.

I have learned from my past – for better and for worse. The experience and wisdom I have gained informed my decision to come back to cycling and has energized me to create the best team in the world.

Serafino said:
Did you explicitly mention that '96 TdF or was he clean for those 21 days
:D
He said that the journalists can come to his house and take the yellow jersey as it has no worth for him anymore.

cyclingheroes said:
He said that the journalists can come to his house and take the yellow jersey as it has no worth for him anymore.
Can they come and take his prize money as well?

Hmm,

So he doped to win fame and forture, but if there were doping today he wouldn't be involved. He risked his health for fame and fortune but now he's turned a corner and is squeaky clean. His ambition got the better of him. I guess he doesn't have any ambition now as an owner (when there's real money to be made)?

Therefore, we assume Bad Boy Basso doped (or was thinking of it) all by himself while the rest of CSC is squeaky clean.

Question: why not admit this a year ago and start fresh.

Call me a cynic but this is another half confession. Everything is always "in the past". Just trust them. They're cleaner than clean now (save for the odd black sheep like Jan and Basso of course).
Why do I have a hard time believing?

P.S. Thank God things have changed and there is no doping in the peleton now. That's what Riis wants us to believe. I'd forgive him as a rider (if everyone doped) but as a team owner, he wants us to excuse his past sins, but crucify the few "black sheep" (I seem to recall Hamilton, Basso as CSC riders). That's right, as always, the sport is clean save for a few bad apples. The same old song.