Your 2010/current power profile metrics...

At 81 Kg (179lbs), 188cm (6'2"):
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
5 Sec:1044 watts (12.9 w/kg) 13 Mar 12
1 min: 463 watts (5.7 w/kg) 1 Oct 11
5 min: 343 watts (4.2 w/kg) 29 Sep 11
10 min: 290 watts (3.6 w/kg) 10 Dec 11
20 min: 276 watts (3.4 w/kg) 30 Mar 12
30 min: 260 watts (3.2 w/kg) 17 Apr 12
40 min: 252 watts (3.1 w/kg) 17 Apr 12
50 min: 238 watts (2.9 w/kg) 27 Mar 12
60 min: 227 watts (2.8 w/kg) 27 Mar 12 -- Is this my FTP?

I'm a 3rd cat male in my 40's and have been racing for almost 20 years.

Definitely never had the juice that that cat 2's seemed to have. I have always avoided TTs and any
sort of hilly race. I really like flat crits with big fields - this is the only success I've ever had.

This year I decided to turn over a new leaf and shed my lazy habits. So I got a PT wheel and a proper
cycling coach and began following a structured training plan... I should have done that 15 years ago!

None of my numbers have been recorded in a race yet. Those will happen shortly.

Quick update, no testing but lots of racing, all handicaps so sometimes don't even get to see the front of the race but they are fun.

5sec 1328w, 18.2 w/kg
10sec 1231w
3min 433w
4min 397w
8min 351w

Havn't been pushed past the 8 min mark so far this season although normalised power for races continues to freak me out so looks like there is some decent improvement in sustainable power as well, stage race in 10 days with a TT so will get test the legs for something north of 8min.

Originally Posted by SlowGoes .

At 81 Kg (179lbs), 188cm (6'2"):
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
5 Sec:1044 watts (12.9 w/kg) 13 Mar 12
1 min: 463 watts (5.7 w/kg) 1 Oct 11
5 min: 343 watts (4.2 w/kg) 29 Sep 11
10 min: 290 watts (3.6 w/kg) 10 Dec 11
20 min: 276 watts (3.4 w/kg) 30 Mar 12
30 min: 260 watts (3.2 w/kg) 17 Apr 12
40 min: 252 watts (3.1 w/kg) 17 Apr 12
50 min: 238 watts (2.9 w/kg) 27 Mar 12
60 min: 227 watts (2.8 w/kg) 27 Mar 12 -- Is this my FTP?

I'm a 3rd cat male in my 40's and have been racing for almost 20 years.

Definitely never had the juice that that cat 2's seemed to have. I have always avoided TTs and any
sort of hilly race. I really like flat crits with big fields - this is the only success I've ever had.

This year I decided to turn over a new leaf and shed my lazy habits. So I got a PT wheel and a proper
cycling coach and began following a structured training plan... I should have done that 15 years ago!

None of my numbers have been recorded in a race yet. Those will happen shortly.
It really depends on what these numbers represent. Are these numbers simply the max efforts in your WKO+ database? Or, were they constant power rides intended to be at your max sustainable power for a given duration. Take, for example, your 60 min ride at 227W. Was that a steady pace solo ride or was it a highly variable pace group ride? Is the number AP or NP? If the ride was a variable pace ride, you will probably find that NP is better than AP as a proxy for FTP.

A useful tool for predicting your max sustainable power for a given duration is the Critical Power Model originally developed by Monod and Scherrer. This model extrapolates power as a function of duration based on a few test rides. The minimum number of test rides is two, but I and most others use at least three data points. Personally, I use 3min, 8min, 30min and 120min test rides. The reason I use a 120min data point is that my most important fitness measure for competitive events is my 120min sustainable power. If you are doing primarily 30-45min crits, you might not find much value in the 120min data point. If you don't need the 120min data point, that's a shame -- you'll be missing out on one of life's great pleasures, 120mins of pure agony. You can find a worksheet to use the Critical Power Model here: http://www.cyclingpowermodels.com/MonodCriticalPower.aspx

Ok, so it's 2013 and this is an old thread but it saves starting a new one,
It's summer here in oz and time to work on L6/7 for track and crits for most of us that that choose to race early in the year,
so my training started mid Dec but work was very busy at the same time so it was a bit hit and mis but training is all go now and just as last year and the year before that my power records continue to be broken, my goal for this year is to race and do well at masters nationals RR and crit, as well as a few open handicap RR's.

So none of these are tested just hit in routine training

5's hasn't changed and I don't train it, it just rises as 12- 30's power rises

10's is roughly the same

20's is 1073w, not sure what is was previously without going through hundreds of files

30's has jumped to 981w again not tested just hit during 25's sprint's, actually it was 27's at 1007w

1 min tested but not rested, resulted in 736w but that was like 4mths ago so it should rise by the end of my 4 mth block of L6/7 (mostly L7), I never really get a chance to see what I can really through down for 1m as my racing/training doesn't call for me to be that fresh or motivated to have a real crack at a fair dinkum Kilo effort, when I do it's at the end of a road race or crit and usually results in 500-550w for the final 1min and around 750 - 830w
for the last 30's, I have a poor jump and training it results in little improvement, but oddly it responds to longer efforts like 12-30's maximal efforts and rises ever so slightly to stay just ahead or higher than 10-12's power, so that's what I work on at this time of year.

3min 465w again not tested just happened during a blast around the block before work as I had little time to train that week.

nothing else has changed as far as power for longer durations but my position has changed a little (for the better) so while w/kg may not have improved w/cda has.

Nice numbers there. I'm in OZ too. Where are you based? Was thinking about doing masters RR as well this year Paul

Hi paul,
I'm in the Albury/Wodonga area... well just a short drive from there anyhow.
What masters class would you be racing in? I'm in Masters 2 so it will be rough.
I'm still waiting to find out the date for the NSW masters RR and crit.

Brian.

Originally Posted by bubsy .

Hi paul,
I'm in the Albury/Wodonga area... well just a short drive from there anyhow.
What masters class would you be racing in? I'm in Masters 2 so it will be rough.
I'm still waiting to find out the date for the NSW masters RR and crit.

Brian.
I'm masters 3,

Currently living in Brisbane, but usually make my way back to Wollongong (grew up there) to train with the locals (great hills)...Are you on Strava?...thinking of putting together a Powermeter strava club, so PM users can share ideas with each other.

Paul

Might as well throw my hat in the ring...

40yrs, 87kg, Cat4

5s: 1049
1m: 510
5m: 356
20m: 323
60m: 256

Those are just numbers off MMP chart as I haven't specifically tested any of those distances.
60m is soft and I'm currently operating off an FTP of about 310.

Have had a PM for a while, but used it as a glorified speedo. Have only started getting into 2x20s recently, so short term aim is 4W/kg (plenty of weight to lose so shouldn't be too hard to get there) and also to get out racing more.

20's is 1073w, not sure what is was previously without going through hundreds of files
Off-topic, but if you install Golden Cheetah, you can very easily find all your top power durations for previous years, the current year, or a specific date set very easily. I don't use Golden Cheetah that much as I favour WKO in general, but the metrics in GC are unparallelled for that kind of thing.

My figures... 36 years, weight a lot (85 kg), newbie non-racer, looking forward to compete 5s : 1160 1m: 468 5m : 323 20m : 267 60m: 246 Quite good figures on 5 min, strugling with intervalls above 20min. Needs to improve everything....

Originally Posted by sidamo .

1m: 510
Tackled a local 13% pitch today and now 1m is up to 582. Amazing what you can drag out of your body when you've no choice in the matter :)

Originally Posted by sidamo .

Might as well throw my hat in the ring...

40yrs, 87kg, Cat4

60m is soft and I'm currently operating off an FTP of about 310.
My 60m is soft too it was set back in 2011 @ 277w with a serviced and recalibrated PT, previous to that my 60m was 290w but that data was suspect, I just don't get pushed hard enough for long enough in races to see high avg power but recently I have seen normalised power around 280w for 2hrs and 250w for a little over 4hrs so that is a much better indicator of potential FTP than anything else I have on file.

Originally Posted by smaryka .

Off-topic, but if you install Golden Cheetah, you can very easily find all your top power durations for previous years, the current year, or a specific date set very easily.
Thankyou that will make life alot easier and more interesting finding more new peak powers to best in training /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif.

In GC, does anyone know a way to search for best interval duration's XPower instead of average power?

These are mine as they presently stand (my focus in 20-40km TT)

5s= 981 (12.5w/kg)
1min = 573 (7.3w/kg)
5min = 400 (5.1w/kg)
20min = 370 (4.7w/kg)
60min = 344 (4.4w/kg)

The majority of my interval work has been in the 10-90min interval range. Haven't done much work below 10min intervals, apart from a weekly crit race.

The above figures are based on a weight of 78kg...Weighed myself this morning and I'm at 76kg.

Paul

That's some serious 20min power there Paul, it's guys like you that will make it hard for guys like me at nationals with measly ~320w power for 20m, similar weight too, I hover between 73 - 77kgs and I think we would be grouped together as masters 1,2,3, would that be the case do you think?

That's some serious 20min power there Paul, it's guys like you that will make it hard for guys like me at nationals with measly ~320w power for 20m, similar weight too, I hover between 73 - 77kgs and I think we would be grouped together as masters 1,2,3, would that be the case do you think?
I'm curious if you have ever tested the effect on your power of weight loss (or gain).
Thanks,
Max