3000 miles in 10 months... so Why am I still fat?

On 2004-07-01, Badger_South <[email protected]> wrote:
> In the window period, surrounding relatively intense exercise, one may
> consume glucose, usually in the form of a protein drink and sweet tarts,
> etc., and here the insulin aids in muscle building, and not increasing the
> size of the fat cells.
>
> FWIW

FWIW, I lost over 150lbs. by becoming a vegetarian and biking a lot. I ate
a lot of carbs while I was a vegetarian ("was" since I now eat fish and
eggs) and I still lost weight. Go figure. Plus, even though I recently
gained a few pounds back, I've largely maintained that weight for over 3
years.

Preston

> Pat wrote:
>
> > You really shouldn't discuss the Atkins Diet if you know nothing about

it,
> > and it is obvious that you do not know the principles of it. If you had
> > read Dr. Atkins' book, you would find out that it is not a "low carb

diet"
> > but a "controlled carb diet" that, after the initial 2 weeks, adds 5

grams
> > of low glycemic carbs a day per week to the diet and maxes out with as

many
> > carbs as you can eat and maintain your weight. There is no "loss of lean
> > muscle mass" and anyone can get a "reasonable level of carbs" on the

Atkins
> > Diet.

> Five grams of carbs per day is "reasonable"? I don't think so.

I didn't write that, and that has nothing to do with the Atkins diet. The
diet starts with 20 grams of carbs a day for the first 2 weeks only. Then,
the dieter adds 5 grams daily during the next week. The week after that,
he/she adds 5 more grams of carbs a day, etc.

My
> daily target is more like 600 grams. Weight loss benefits aside, any
> diet that greatly restricts carbs is going to be total disaster for
> an aerobic athlete.

The Atkins diet, following the first 2 weeks, does not "greatly restrict
carbs". I have been on the diet since last June and I have done 8 metric
centuries and 2 mile centuries---The Hotter 'n' Hell Hundred and the Waco
Wild West Century. I'm still alive (oh, and on the off days, I swim a mile a
day).

After about 90 minutes of exercise, your body
> starts to consume lean muscle as fuel. To counteract this, your
> recovery meal should contains carbs and protein. Carbs raise insulin
> levels, and insulin is an anabolic (muscle building) hormone.
> Protein is consumed to repair the muscle damage caused by the
> exercise. Finally, carbs taken after exercise replenishes stored
> muscle glycogen, which will prevent muscle fatigue and the infamous
> "bonk".

Never had a bonk on this diet.

> Fad diets may come and go, but the basic nutritional needs for
> athletes remain the same.
> --
> terry morse Palo Alto, CA

Oh, it's no fad. It's a way of looking at carbs---eating as many as you want
to but eating low glycemic carbs.

Pat in TX

Daniel Crispin wrote:

> There are a lot of carbs sources that won't make your insulin
> spike, those are fine. Even an athlete should avoid these nasty
> foods like potatoes.

Nasty? Potatoes are an excellent choice as a pre-race meal. So is
rice, pasta, bananas, white bagels, low-fat yogurt, tapioca, cream
of wheat, etc. These are easily digested and will quickly replenish
the liver glycogen lost during sleep.

It's not the insulin spike that's bad, it's the insulin crash.
Sugars cause a spike, followed by a crash. More complex carbs still
cause an insulin spike, but sustain levels much longer than sugar.
Basically, sugar bad, complex carbs good.

Maltodextrin, a corn by-product, is probably the best carbohydrate
source for endurance athletes. It has a high glycemic index (boosts
glycogen levels quickly) but low dextrose equivalent (no insulin
crash).

Terry Morse <[email protected]> wrote:
> Nasty? Potatoes are an excellent choice as a pre-race meal.

it's true. potatoes good. i live in idaho. the license plates here read
"famous potatoes" .. potatoes good. i drank the kool-aid, i ate the
potato. people like daniel are sadly misguided.

truth be told: i f'ing hate the potato in all its digusting forms and i
paid the DMV $60 extra for special plates for no reason other than to get
the word "potatoes" off mine. so, ok, i puked the kool aid.

love pasta, tho! live on the stuff. i'm vegetarian & trapped in an office
with two atkins diet adherents. aiiyy.. steak & potatoes of course.
--
david reuteler
[email protected]

Pat wrote:

> The [Atkins] diet starts with 20 grams of carbs a day for the first
> 2 weeks only. Then, the dieter adds 5 grams daily during the next
> week. The week after that, he/she adds 5 more grams of carbs a
> day, etc.

20 grams, 25 grams, that's essentially zero. On that diet, I'd be on
my back on the roadside with my feet in the air, with the other
riders whizzing by comfortably.

> The Atkins diet, following the first 2 weeks, does not "greatly
> restrict carbs". I have been on the diet since last June and I
> have done 8 metric centuries and 2 mile centuries---The Hotter
> 'n' Hell Hundred and the Waco Wild West Century. I'm still alive
> (oh, and on the off days, I swim a mile a day).

Then you're just not riding very hard. The studies have been done,
the nutritional science is straightforward: if you take away carbs
your endurance performance suffers.

> Never had a bonk on this diet.

More evidence for not riding very hard.

> Oh, it's no fad. It's a way of looking at carbs---eating as many
> as you want to but eating low glycemic carbs.

"fad: A fashion that is taken up with great enthusiasm for a brief
period of time; a craze."

By what criteria does Atkins *not* constitute a fad? Oh, never mind.

But hey, follow whatever weight loss program you want. But please
don't say that restricting carbs won't affect an endurance athlete,
because that's just nonsense. In general, I think we can agree that
sugar is generally bad for anyone, and complex carbs are ideal.

BTW, for endurance performance, when it comes to choosing what types
of carbs to consume, glycemic index is less important that dextrose
equivalence (DE). The lower the DE, the more easily the food can be
digested, and the slower the insulin levels will drop.

Terry Morse <[email protected]> writes:

> In general, I think we can agree that
> sugar is generally bad for anyone, and complex carbs are ideal.

I think that sums it up rather nicely.

> BTW, for endurance performance, when it comes to choosing what types
> of carbs to consume, glycemic index is less important that dextrose
> equivalence (DE). The lower the DE, the more easily the food can be
> digested, and the slower the insulin levels will drop.

Interesting. I wonder what the DE of dates is? I can get along
for quite a while of exertion on that venerable foodstuff.

In re: fads and diets and things like that -- I think hearkening
to old experience usually trumps experimenting with new theories.
The only reason to re-invent the wheel is to write (& sell) a
book about it. But I have no right to talk specifically about
Atkins, 'cuz I weigh 148 lbs and I'm 5'11" and 50 y.o, and it
would take me an awful lot of effort to gain weight. And I
don't even do anything special, other than riding a heavy bike
a lot, over hilly terrain, and a lot of other stuff that keeps
me active and burning calories. Sometimes a blast of simple
carbs (like half a dozen French Puff donuts) gives me a burst,
like a nitro kit in a street rod. But I don't get any crash.
Just an overwhelming desire for a cup of coffee to wash down
the cloyingness of the sugar. I guess if other people saw
what I choke down my neck it would put them into cardiac arrest.
You should see what I do to a stack of pancakes (it involves
bacon & eggs, and artificial maple syrup). Or, maybe you
shouldn't. And I don't suffer from hypertension, high LDL or
hypoglycemia. Just a little dandruff, sometimes.

I don't understand the politics of overweightness, because I
/cannot/ understand them. And that renders me incapable of
realizing what other people have to go through. But I know
they're going through something, and my heart and well-wishes
are with them.

But IMhO, I do think maybe people concentrate too much on diet
and not enough on activity (let's not call it 'exercise', because
that might connote too much regimen.)

I'd happily donate some DNA if folks wanna undergo some
recombinant experimentation (and risk ending up too much
like me) :)

Actually, I think car seats make people put on fat weight.
They also cause ass-spread.

cheers,
Tom