3000 miles in 10 months... so Why am I still fat?

my two cents worth...

My guess is that for the 15 to 30 mile rides, you are only
burning 400 to 700 calories (a guestimate). If you're taking
in 3000 calories (or more) it will be tough to lose weight.

Good luck and keep them miles rolling!

Brad

"Doug Cook" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> The story thus far....
>
> 12 years ago - single, 6'3", 180lbs., hair, and competing
> in citizens
class
> triathlons.
>
> Fast forward to last July... Married, two kids, mortgage,
> no hair, sedentary, 279lbs.
>
> Sick of that fat man in the mirror, I bought some XXL
> cycling clothes, dusted off and tuned up my old Trek, and
> started riding again. Now 10 months and close to 3000
> miles later... I still weigh 274! I mean... come on! 3000
> miles for 5 pounds?!
>
> My fitness level has increased tremendously. I use to
> struggle on 10 mile rides. Now I do at least 3-4 weekday
> rides of 15-30 miles each and one weekend ride for 50-70
> miles - all solo. My computer puts my average
speed
> for these rides between 16-18mph depending upon the
> particular ups&downs
of
> the ride. My HRM says my average rate is usually right
> about 75% of max (although that can vary, usually on the
> high side, when the ride has climbing). I feel lean and
> mean while I ride, but when I get home I
wonder
> who that fat guy in the mirror is!
>
> I don't diet per se, but I do eat sensibly. The days that
> I've tracked my caloric intake it's usually right between
> 2500 - 3000. One friend who is
> "wellness" expert suggests I'm not eating *ENOUGH*.
> Although she readily admits she doesn't specialize in
> athletes ("slovenly couch potato" is how she describes her
> typical client), she says that with my activity level my
> BMR is 5300... as she explained it that's the number of
> calories needed to just maintain my weight! Therefore she
> thinks my body thinks it's being starved and refuses to
> let go of the fat. She thinks by eating MORE the body will
> move away from this starvation reflex and start shedding
> pounds. She also suggested riding easy first thing in the
> morning BEFORE breakfast so the body has to switch to fat
> because the glycogen stores will be low (sound like a
> recipe for the BONK to me).
>
> Well, I tried to eat 4000 calories today and about died! I
> felt horrible, stuffed, tired, etc. I tried riding with
> just water (no sport drink), and found myself craving
> sugar after the ride.
>
> Any experts lurking out there that would like to comment?
> Are there any coaching services online that could help
> customize my training to help me lose weight? I can't
> afford to hire a coach.
>
> Any thoughts would be appreciated.

>I don't diet per se, but I do eat sensibly. The days that
>I've tracked my caloric intake it's usually right between
>2500 - 3000. One friend who is a "wellness" expert suggests
>I'm not eating *ENOUGH*.
I have had this problem too. when I found the right spot and
ate more I started loosing far more. Now I have to redo it
and I am trying to find the sweet spot. pretty pathetic to
have to eat more to loose (G)

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes Custom made wooden planes
at reasonable prices See http://www.knight-toolworks.com For

Doug Cook wrote:

> The story thus far....
>
> 12 years ago - single, 6'3", 180lbs., hair, and competing
> in citizens class triathlons.
>
> Fast forward to last July... Married, two kids, mortgage,
> no hair, sedentary, 279lbs.
>
> Sick of that fat man in the mirror, I bought some XXL
> cycling clothes, dusted off and tuned up my old Trek, and
> started riding again. Now 10 months and close to 3000
> miles later... I still weigh 274! I mean... come on! 3000
> miles for 5 pounds?!
>
> My fitness level has increased tremendously. I use to
> struggle on 10 mile rides. Now I do at least 3-4 weekday
> rides of 15-30 miles each and one weekend ride for 50-70
> miles - all solo. My computer puts my average speed for
> these rides between 16-18mph depending upon the particular
> ups&downs of the ride. My HRM says my average rate is
> usually right about 75% of max (although that can vary,
> usually on the high side, when the ride has climbing). I
> feel lean and mean while I ride, but when I get home I
> wonder who that fat guy in the mirror is!
>
> I don't diet per se, but I do eat sensibly. The days that
> I've tracked my caloric intake it's usually right between
> 2500 - 3000.

That still may be more than you need. Plus, what about the
days you're not tracking? A 500 calorie difference a day
equals a pound a week -- one way or the other. The days
you're burning more than you eat are probably being offset
by the ones when you're not paying attention. You may very
well be eating more on those days without realizing it.

> One friend who is a "wellness" expert suggests I'm not
> eating *ENOUGH*. Although she readily admits she doesn't
> specialize in athletes ("slovenly couch potato" is how she
> describes her typical client), she says that with my
> activity level my BMR is 5300... as she explained it
> that's the number of calories needed to just maintain my
> weight! Therefore she thinks my body thinks it's being
> starved and refuses to let go of the fat. She thinks by
> eating MORE the body will move away from this starvation
> reflex and start shedding pounds. She also suggested
> riding easy first thing in the morning BEFORE breakfast so
> the body has to switch to fat because the glycogen stores
> will be low (sound like a recipe for the BONK to me).

All this is nonsense, and probably based on the typical kind
of pseudo-science most of these pop nutritionists and
"experts" buy into. First of all, the same principles apply
to athletes as everyone else. Second, there's no way you
have a BMR of 5300 -- even mountaineers who repeatedly hump
50 LB loads up 3000', 45 deg slopes don't need that much
food. Tour de France riders hardly need that much.

> Well, I tried to eat 4000 calories today and about died! I
> felt horrible, stuffed, tired, etc. I tried riding with
> just water (no sport drink), and found myself craving
> sugar after the ride.

This is a red flag to me -- you're a carb addict. Most
Americans are. So lay off the simple carbs! Learn what
complex carbs really are, and learn to eat them in proper
moderation. Do this for a month, and the cravings will go
away. I'm not a fan of contemporary low carb diets, but
there's a grain of truth in them along with all the pseudo-
science hokum. If you want to read a diet book, look into
the Zone Diet or the South Beach diet. Or eat like a
diabetic is supposed to, even if you're not one. (You may be
-- get that checked.)

> Any experts lurking out there that would like to comment?
> Are there any coaching services online that could help
> customize my training to help me lose weight? I can't
> afford to hire a coach.

This doesn't have to be expensive or inconvenient. One of my
friends is using a coach who works online. You just plug in
your eating and riding stats, plus a few other things, and
get recommendations every few days by email or phone. The
cost is less than, say, a couple of meals out a month. I can
get you the info if you're interested.

Matt O.

>Well, for much of human history people were lean indeed on
>a diet of complex carbs, mainly in the form of grains,
>vegetables and very little animal protein. It is quite easy
>to have a diet like that and be quite lean.

humans only started eating grains when we learned to
cultivate. we did not evolve eating grains.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes Custom made wooden planes
at reasonable prices See http://www.knight-toolworks.com For
prices and ordering instructions.

I'm sorry to upset you, but the low carb/high protein diet
is just that, a fad. Also, the 1950's were the Golden-Age of
fad diets so it's no surprise that this was spawned from
that era. This is an example of our society's ongoing search
for the "quick-fix". It will continue to be popular until
the next mass marketed diet craze comes along. Carbohydrates
are critical to every day body functions. Without them the
body has a hard time breaking down complex proteins into the
amino acids it needs, especially those found in vegetables.
Any vegetarian can confirm that. Their carbohydrate intake
levels are usually higher than the average meat-eater yet
they stay healthy and maintain weight. These low-carb diets
tell people to avoid starchy fruits and vegetables like
carrots, potatoes, bananas, beans, and corn, all of which
are packed with vitamins, minerals, trace elements, and
fiber that are vital to good health. Perhaps the problem is
that the people who practice these diets do not understand
what carbohydrates are. There are many different types which
are broken down into two basic categories, complex and
simple. The simple carbs are the refined sugars and
starches. To the body they are the equivelant of jet fuel
and should be eaten in very low levels. These are also the
group of carbs that diabetics are mainly concerned with
since their bodies do not produce enough insulin to
efficiently break them down. Complex carbs are found in all
plant based foods that have not been tampered with by us.
Their longer and more complex "chains" provide the body with
a steady energy supply as well as many of the complex
proteins, vitimins, and minerals required for proper
cellular function. Did you know that some complex
carbohydrates actually require more calories to break them
down than they provide the body. This, in part, is why even
sedentary vegetarians can maintain their weight.

As a bodybuilder, it is essential that you understand how
your body works and uses the food you put in it or you're
wasting your time. Several weeks before a competition, most
bodybuilders will reduce their carbohydrate and fluid levels
to a bare minimum. This is to reduce body fat to a very low
level and make the skin thin and taught, allowing more
muscle to be seen. This is only done for short periods
because there's a problem. Because fat stores contain little
or no proteins, vitamins, or minerals the body will start to
scavenge what in needs from muscle tissue and internal
organs. This is basicly what you are doing to your body when
you deprive it of complex carbohydrates. No one yet knows
what the affect these diets may have long term. You could be
doing irreversible damage to your body by following these
fads. This is also the reason most of these diets fail. When
you deprive your body of something it needs it sends you
signals in the form of powerful cravings. For most people
these cravings become too much and they binge to satisfy
them, eventually gaining all the weight back and then some.
This is the body's way of protecting itself should you
decide to do something stupid like this again. This, in a
nutshell, is why these fad diets don't work and can be
dangerous.

The human body is a magnificently complex machine. How your
body handles carbohydrates and other foods was determined by
your parents, your genetic makeup. Everyone is different and
must fine tune their diet and lifestyle to themselves. Be
healthy in body and spirit.

One final note - Disagree with me if you will but if you are
going to insult me, please have the decency to improve your
vocabulary and spelling to at least mask your apparent
ignorance.

Take care all & keep the faith - CHRIS

curt <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> > Diet - Again, with your body type, a big obsticle is
> > going to be your
slow
> > metabolic rate. Try to avoid simple carbohydrates
> > (refined sugars, white breads, etc.) DO NOT do the low-
> > carb/high protein fad diets. They are
very
> > unhealthy and any weight loss is temporary. Forget the
> > three big meals a
> day
> > thing and eat smaller meals more often and most
> > importantly, learn to recognize when you are satisfied,
> > not full! Other than that just try to
> eat
> > a balanced diet and drink lots of water.
>
> I would hardly call low carbohydrate diets a fad. They
> have been around since the 50's that I know of. They are
> just in the news a lot because people have wised up. A low
> carb diet is much more than any fad. It actually works.
> You would need to at least read the Atkins book to have
an
> understanding of how it works, but I can tell from your
> post you know nothing about it and just call it a fad
> diet. You also have lots to learn about low carbohydrate
> diets. Who do you think you are calling them unhealthy? Do
> you know there are diabetics on this diet and now can go
off

Rick Onanian wrote:

> Embrace your aerobelly.

So then, like, ride no-handed?

Bill "in a literal mood, I guess" S.

On Wed, 19 May 2004 06:03:15 -0400, "Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Nonsense on not eating enough. You need to eat less. i
>suggest you use fitday.com to track everything you eat.
>Limit calories to about 2200 per day. You may want to try
>low-carb if you have problems with hunger/appetite.

how is it nonsense? I was stuck for awhile not loosing and
cycling 5 days a week. once I started increasing my food
intake I started loosing 2 pounds a week. I had to find the
sweet spot.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes Custom made wooden planes
at reasonable prices See http://www.knight-toolworks.com For
prices and ordering instructions.

Originally posted by Steve Knight
>Well, for much of human history people were lean indeed on
>a diet of complex carbs, mainly in the form of grains,
>vegetables and very little animal protein. It is quite easy
>to have a diet like that and be quite lean.

humans only started eating grains when we learned to
cultivate. we did not evolve eating grains.
But how long has cultivation been around? This is not a new technology or anything and the planet wasnt overall fat a 100 to 200 years ago.

> Doug Cook wrote:

(snip)

> This doesn't have to be expensive or inconvenient. One of
> my friends is
using a
> coach who works online. You just plug in your eating and
> riding stats,
plus a
> few other things, and get recommendations every few days
> by email or
phone. The
> cost is less than, say, a couple of meals out a month. I
> can get you the
info
> if you're interested.
>
> Matt O.

Matt, I would be interested in more info. Could you
email it to me?

Thanks

On Wed, 19 May 2004 10:45:12 -0400, "psycholist" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Most important of all is diet. Fat is fat. Keep it to a
>minimum. I had a cholestrol problem a couple of years ago
>(despite a ton of riding). I simply stopped eating anything
>that had any cholesterol at all. I lost 12 pounds in 6
>weeks and lowered my cholestrol 60 points. Now I watch that
>AND saturated fat to keep losing weight.
>
>Good luck!
>
>Bob C.

Can you give an example of foods that you stopped eating,
and their cholesterol content? This is pretty interesting.

Did you continue the 'no cholesterol' diet for longer than
the 6 weeks, or was that a temporary measure to bring your
weight down?

-B

In article <[email protected]>, stevek@knight-
toolworks.com says...

> >Well, for much of human history people were lean indeed
> >on a diet of complex carbs, mainly in the form of grains,
> >vegetables and very little animal protein. It is quite
> >easy to have a diet like that and be quite lean.
>
> humans only started eating grains when we learned to
> cultivate. we did not evolve eating grains.

We evolved eating most anything which nourish us, and that
includes wild grains. Why would we have started cultivating
grains if we didn't already know they were good to eat? And
fruit is one of the major food sources in forested areas.
The entire primate family eats lots of both plant and animal
materials for food, and that includes humans.

--
Remove the ns_ from if replying by e-mail (but keep posts in
the newsgroups if possible).

I thought it would be understood that a person shouldn't over-
eat. I just assumed that was a given. Oh, thanks for fixing
my typo. That is really helpful in the discussion.

Curt

"Terry Morse" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:tmorse-
[email protected]...
> "curt" wrote:
>
> > If you just want to really lose weight you can go low
> > carb all the way, you don't
have
> > to watch you fat intake. When people read that, it
> > scares them. I am
not

Bubba@FL wrote:
:: I'm sorry to upset you, but the low carb/high protein
:: diet is just that, a fad. Also, the 1950's were the Golden-
:: Age of fad diets so it's no surprise that this was
:: spawned from that era. This is an example of our
:: society's ongoing search for the "quick-fix". It will
:: continue to be popular until the next mass marketed diet
:: craze comes along.

:: Carbohydrates are critical to every day body functions.

Nonsense...provide one credible cite....

:: Without them the body has a hard time breaking down
:: complex proteins into the amino acids it needs,
:: especially those found in vegetables.

First of all, we're talking low carb, not no carb. Secondly,
nonsense. I eat plenty of veggies and my body has no
problems breaking them down. Provide one cite!

:: Any vegetarian can confirm that. Their carbohydrate
:: intake levels are usually higher than the average meat-
:: eater yet they stay healthy and maintain weight.

There are plenty of overweight vegetarians and most of them
eat refined carbs while claiming to be vegetarians.

:: These low-carb diets tell people to avoid starchy fruits
:: and vegetables like carrots, potatoes, bananas, beans,
:: and corn, all of which are packed with vitamins,
:: minerals, trace elements, and fiber that are vital to
:: good health.

You do know that there are other foods that are "packed"
with vitamins, minerals, trace elements and fiber, don't
you? What about broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, cabbage,
greens, breen beans, kale, lettuce, blueberries,
strawberries, etc? One can name others too.

Perhaps the
:: problem is that the people who practice these diets do
:: not understand what carbohydrates are.

Nonsense. You don't.

[...]

Nonsense. Any diabetic who has learned to eat to his/her
meter will tell you the effect of eating a potato or banana
on their blood glucose. The bottom line is the number of
grams of carbs consumed. Sure, refined carbs are the worst
of the lot, but starchy carbs simulate blood sugar swings in
those who are insulin resistant (most very overweight
people) and hence they want to eat more. That's why on most
LC diet those foods are restricted severely during the
weight loss phase and added back in at limited quantities
for maintenance.

::
:: As a bodybuilder, it is essential that you understand how
:: your body works and uses the food you put in it or you're
:: wasting your time.

Nonsense. All you need to do is start young, lift heavy,
rest, and eat. Then practice dieting. Being a bodybuilder
doesn't make you an expert on much other than perhaps how to
execute movements.

:: Several weeks before a competition, most bodybuilders
:: will reduce their carbohydrate and fluid levels to a bare
:: minimum. This is to reduce body fat to a very low level
:: and make the skin thin and taught, allowing more muscle
:: to be seen.

Nonsense. Reducing carbs to a bare minimum will not, in and
of itself, result in reduced bodyfat. You're going to need
to restrcit calories relative to maintenance requirements.

This is only done for short
:: periods because there's a problem. Because fat stores
:: contain little or no proteins, vitamins, or minerals the
:: body will start to scavenge what in needs from muscle
:: tissue and internal organs.

Nonsense...What about the protein that comes from diet?
Reducing carbs doesn't mean reducing dietary protein.

This
:: is basicly what you are doing to your body when you
:: deprive it of complex carbohydrates.

Good grief.

:: No one yet knows what the affect these diets may have
:: long term. You could be doing irreversible damage to your
:: body by following these fads.

I'm in better health than I have been in years. I've been
doing LC since Oct 2001, too.

This is also the reason most of these
:: diets fail. When you deprive your body of something it
:: needs it sends you signals in the form of powerful
:: cravings.

What a joke....

For most people
:: these cravings become too much and they binge to
:: satisfy them, eventually gaining all the weight back
:: and then some.

A single binge won't result in gaining all the weight back.
And if people who have been LCing occasionally do eat carbys
foods, it's only because they taste good. Having them once
in a while won't make much difference, as long as they
remain the exception rather than the rule.

This is the
:: body's way of protecting itself should you decide to do
:: something stupid like this again. This, in a nutshell, is
:: why these fad diets don't work and can be dangerous.

Nonsense.

::
:: The human body is a magnificently complex machine. How
:: your body handles carbohydrates and other foods was
:: determined by your parents, your genetic makeup. Everyone
:: is different and must fine tune their diet and lifestyle
:: to themselves. Be healthy in body and spirit.

Wow...

::
:: One final note - Disagree with me if you will but if you
:: are going to insult me, please have the decency to
:: improve your vocabulary and spelling to at least mask
:: your apparent ignorance.

Well, you've made your ignorance very obvious, Bubba.

::
:: Take care all & keep the faith - CHRIS
::
:: curt <[email protected]> wrote in message
:: news:[email protected]...
:::
[...]

In article <[email protected]>,
David Kerber <ns_dkerber@ns_ids.net> wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> stevek@knight- toolworks.com says...
> >

> > >Well, for much of human history people were lean indeed
> > >on a diet of complex carbs, mainly in the form of
> > >grains, vegetables and very little animal protein. It
> > >is quite easy to have a diet like that and be quite
> > >lean.
> >
> > humans only started eating grains when we learned to
> > cultivate. we did not evolve eating grains.
>
> We evolved eating most anything which nourish us, and that
> includes wild grains. Why would we have started
> cultivating grains if we didn't already know they were
> good to eat? And fruit is one of the major food sources in
> forested areas. The entire primate family eats lots of
> both plant and animal materials for food, and that
> includes humans.

What? The entire primate family eats lots of humans?

Say it ain¹t so!

HAND I hate T-Storms

Terry Morse wrote:
:: Roger Zoul wrote:
::
::: Rick Onanian wrote:
::
:::::: She also suggested riding easy first thing in the
:::::: morning BEFORE breakfast so the body has to switch to
:::::: fat because the glycogen stores will be low (sound
:::::: like a recipe for the BONK to me).
:::::
::::: Try it, if you can, and figure out how far you can go
::::: before bonking. Do only that much, then gradually
::::: raise it up. This will certainly get your body running
::::: well for the rest of your day, too.
:::
::: More nonsense. I follow a low-carb diet...that means I'm
::: always low on glycogen. Yet, I always ride in the
::: morning with only some coffee in me. Unless he is
::: pushing his limits and actually exercising
::: anaerobically, he won't bonk out.
::
:: FWIW, you don't have to go anaerobic to deplete your
:: muscle glycogen. Simply riding at a lower cadence with
:: the same power output will accelerate the depletion rate.
:: Glycogen usage is tied to muscle effort.

Er, riding at a lower cadence with high power output (like
going uphill in a high gear or going very fast on a flat in
high gear) is the same thing as going anaerobic. Anaerobic
activity is what uses sugar for fuel.

This isn't a quick fix. Many people are on low carb for
life. You need to read about this and not just talk.

Good heavens, you really have not read anything about this.
The more I read what you are writing the more I realize you
have not done any reading on this subject. You are just
labeling low carb diets and not learning about them.

I really can't summarize the whole process to you, but I do
recommend you read Dr. Atkins book. I don't care if you
don't believe in what he states or not....I do care that you
have an understanding of what he believed before you say it
is just a fad.

I think you are going to see the fad around for many
many years. It will out live us, because it is right for
many people.

> I'm sorry to upset you, but the low carb/high protein diet
> is just that, a fad.

First of all, your first sentence show your ignorance. The
popular diets are low carbohydrates. That doesn't mean
high protein.

> Also, the 1950's were the Golden-Age of fad diets so it's
> no surprise that this was spawned from that era. This is
> an example of our society's ongoing search for the "quick-
> fix". It will continue to be popular until
the
> next mass marketed diet craze comes along.

That is unlikely. As you are seeing or in your case choosing
not to see, many doctors (something you are not) are
starting to realize that low carb diets improve a host of
things for people. Peoples blood work comes back much better
in most cases when on low carb. People are losing weight and
improving their health. You need to read, not bury your head
in the sand.

> Carbohydrates are critical to every day body functions.
> Without them the body has a hard time breaking down
> complex proteins into the amino acids it needs,
> especially those
found
> in vegetables.

Interesting. I eat tons of vegetables on my low carb diet. I
don't know where you got the idea you can't eat vegetables?

I can see your mind is made up and you ran out of steam.
Usually when someone attacks someone's spelling, they have
run out of ammunition.

All I can say, is read the book to better understand
how the body works. If you don't read the book and have
an understanding of what the view is, how can you have
an opinion?

Curt

PS: your misspelled words ;) BTW, I have none. ;)

equivalent, vitamins, basically, obstacle

> [...]
This
> is basicly what you are doing to your body when you
> deprive it of complex carbohydrates. No one yet knows what
> the affect these diets may have long term. You could be
> doing irreversible damage to your body by following
these
> fads. This is also the reason most of these diets fail.
> When you deprive your body of something it needs it sends
> you signals in the form of
powerful
> cravings. For most people these cravings become too much
> and they binge to satisfy them, eventually gaining all the
> weight back and then some. This
is
> the body's way of protecting itself should you decide to
> do something
stupid
> like this again. This, in a nutshell, is why these fad
and
> can be dangerous.
>
> The human body is a magnificently complex machine. How
> your body handles carbohydrates and other foods was
> determined by your parents, your genetic makeup. Everyone
> is different and must fine tune their diet and lifestyle
> themselves. Be healthy in body and spirit.
>
> One final note - Disagree with me if you will but if you
> are going to
insult
> me, please have the decency to improve your vocabulary and
> spelling to at least mask your apparent ignorance.
>
> Take care all & keep the faith - CHRIS
>
> curt <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > > Diet - Again, with your body type, a big obsticle is
> > > going to be your
> slow
> > > metabolic rate. Try to avoid simple carbohydrates
> > > (refined sugars,
white
> > > breads, etc.) DO NOT do the low-carb/high protein fad
> > > diets. They are
> very
> > > unhealthy and any weight loss is temporary. Forget the
> > > three big meals
> > day
> > > thing and eat smaller meals more often and most
> > > importantly, learn to recognize when you are
> > > satisfied, not full! Other than that just try
> > eat
> > > a balanced diet and drink lots of water.
> >
> > I would hardly call low carbohydrate diets a fad. They
> > have been around since the 50's that I know of. They are
> > just in the news a lot because people have wised up. A
> > low carb diet is much more than any fad. It actually
> > works. You would need to at least read the Atkins book
> > to have
> an
> > understanding of how it works, but I can tell from your
> > post you know nothing about it and just call it a fad
> > diet. You also have lots to
learn
> > about low carbohydrate diets. Who do you think you are
> > calling them unhealthy? Do you know there are diabetics
> > on this diet and now can go
> off
> > there medications? Do you know there are plenty of
> > people that have
lost
> > over 100 pounds and they keep it off with their
> > knowledge of low carb?
> >
> > I suggest you stick to your X armature body building
> > status and no try
and
> > be a Doctor or nutrition.
> >
> > If I was the original poster, the first thing I would do
> > is cut the
carbs.
> > What is funny, you suggested the same thing, but you
> > just don't like the works low carb.
> >
> > Enjoy, Curt

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...

> :: Without them the body has a hard time breaking down
> :: complex proteins into the amino acids it needs,
> :: especially those found in vegetables.
>
> First of all, we're talking low carb, not no carb.
> Secondly, nonsense. I eat plenty of veggies and my body
> has no problems breaking them down. Provide one cite!

Veggies typically have plenty of carbs anyway.

> :: Any vegetarian can confirm that. Their carbohydrate
> :: intake levels are usually higher than the average meat-
> :: eater yet they stay healthy and maintain weight.
>
> There are plenty of overweight vegetarians and most of
> them eat refined carbs while claiming to be vegetarians.

Refined sugar is still a vegetarian food: it comes from
sugar beets or sugar cane.

Remove the ns_ from if replying by e-mail (but keep posts in
the newsgroups if possible).

Terry Morse wrote:
:: Roger Zoul wrote:
::
::: Terry Morse wrote:
:::::
::::: Reading "you don't have to watch you(r) fat intake"
::::: doesn't scare
::::: me. It makes me laugh. If P.T. Barnum were still
::::: alive, I think he'd also find the humor in it.
:::
::: Where is the humor in it? I've lost 130 lbs on a low
::: carb diet without worrying about fat intake other than
::: to not eat too many calories. And I have improved blood
::: lipids to show for it.
::
:: The humor is that it is a ridiculous statemet. If you eat
:: too much food, no matter what it's made of, you will gain
:: weight. The statement should correctly read "you don't
:: have to watch your fat intake, as long as you don't eat
:: too much of it". Wow, there's a revelation!

Well, most who follow a LC woe are trying to lose weight
(fat). From a practical POV, they limit carbs and not
anything else. For the very overweight, they get an
appetite suppression effect from the removal of carbs. That
is mostly sufficient to result in reduced calorie intake.
Hence, they lose weight. At a certain point, after having
lost a certain amount of weight, it does become necessary
to limit calories. However, that doesn't imply directly
limiting fat....

The reason this point needs to be made is because for some
20 to 30 years in the US it has been claimed that eating
fat make syou fat. Excessive calorie intake makes you fat.
So as long as one isn't eating too many calories, there is
no need to explicitly limit fat (assuming one is getting
adequate protein).

In article <mikie357-
[email protected]>, mikie357
@forgedabit.net says...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> David Kerber <ns_dkerber@ns_ids.net> wrote:
>=20
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > stevek@knight- toolworks.com says...
> > >=20 20
=20
mal
n. =20
> > >=20
> > > humans only started eating grains when we learned to
> > > cultivate. we di=
d not
> > > evolve eating grains.
> >=20
> > We evolved eating most anything which nourish us, and
> > that includes wil=
d=20
> > grains. Why would we have started cultivating grains if
> > we didn't=20 already know they were good to eat? And
> > fruit is one of the major food=
=20
> > sources in forested areas. The entire primate family
> > eats lots of bot=
h=20
> > plant and animal materials for food, and that includes
> > humans.
>=20 20
> What? The entire primate family eats lots of humans?
>=20
> Say it ain=B9t so!

It ain't so <GGG>!

--=20 Remove the ns_ from if replying by e-mail (but keep
posts in the=20 newsgroups if possible).