A Lesson from Florida: It's Time for Regime Change!

In article <[email protected]>,
Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote:
>On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 02:47:18 GMT, [email protected] (claudel) wrote:
>
>.In article <[email protected]>,
>.Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote:
>.>On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 18:48:16 -0400, PMH <[email protected]> wrote:
>.>
>.>.Jeff Strickland wrote:
>.>.
>.>.>In the mean time, the crocs will stay put as they
>.>.>have for thousands of years.
>.>.>
>.>.Dunno as Florida has any crocs - outside of zoos & the like.
>.>
>.>You are right. Jeff Strickland is a (self-described) buffoon.
>.>===
>.
>.You are apparently incorrect.
>.
>.There _are_ crocodiles in Florida.
>
>The author must be mistaken. Only ALLIGATORS are native to Florida.

You're right. I guess that professional biologists wouldn't know the
difference. You should write them and correct their mistake.

Be sure to CC Steve Irwin.

I'm sure that your input will be appreciated.

Claude

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 16:50:17 GMT, [email protected] (claudel) wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>,
>Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote:
>>On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 02:47:18 GMT, [email protected] (claudel) wrote:
>>
>>.In article <[email protected]>,
>>.Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote:
>>.>On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 18:48:16 -0400, PMH <[email protected]> wrote:
>>.>
>>.>.Jeff Strickland wrote:
>>.>.
>>.>.>In the mean time, the crocs will stay put as they
>>.>.>have for thousands of years.
>>.>.>
>>.>.Dunno as Florida has any crocs - outside of zoos & the like.
>>.>
>>.>You are right. Jeff Strickland is a (self-described) buffoon.
>>.>===
>>.
>>.You are apparently incorrect.
>>.
>>.There _are_ crocodiles in Florida.
>>
>>The author must be mistaken. Only ALLIGATORS are native to Florida.

>You're right. I guess that professional biologists wouldn't know the
>difference. You should write them and correct their mistake.
>
>Be sure to CC Steve Irwin.
>
>I'm sure that your input will be appreciated.

So where did the crocs come from? Did Columbus bring them? Did they swim
up from Cuba or Jamaca? Did grandparents flush them down the drains when
their grandchildren got tired of them? What do you mean by "native"?

__
Galen Hekhuis NpD, JFR, GWA [email protected]
Illiterate? Write for FREE help

On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 18:48:16 -0400, PMH <[email protected]> wrote:

>Jeff Strickland wrote:
>
>>In the mean time, the crocs will stay put as they
>>have for thousands of years.
>>

>Dunno as Florida has any crocs - outside of zoos & the like.

There's a few left in the 'Glades, but most of the wild population
lives in the discharge canal of a nuke plant on the west coast just
north of Tampa. The fish and wildliife folks have turned the canal
into a refuge of sorts.

MOM

>>You take such a narrow view of time ...
>>

>MV has such a narrow view of everything.
>
>Pete H

In article <[email protected]>,
mean old man <[email protected]> wrote:
>On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 18:48:16 -0400, PMH <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Jeff Strickland wrote:
>>
>>>In the mean time, the crocs will stay put as they
>>>have for thousands of years.
>>>

>>Dunno as Florida has any crocs - outside of zoos & the like.
>>

>There's a few left in the 'Glades, but most of the wild population
>lives in the discharge canal of a nuke plant on the west coast just
>north of Tampa. The fish and wildliife folks have turned the canal
>into a refuge of sorts.

Couple more URLs:

http://endangered.fws.gov/i/c0u.html

http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/natsci/herpetology/act-plan/cacut.htm

I hate to screw up a good rant with facts...

Claude

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 16:37:31 GMT, Mike Vandeman <[email protected]>
wrote:

>The author must be mistaken. Only ALLIGATORS are native to Florida.

You are mistaken. The American Crocodile is native to Florida, as well
as other parts of the Americas. If you had the brains to know how to
run a Google search, even you could find multiple authoritative
sources that identify the American Crocodile as being indigenous or
native to the Florida area. The alligator is not nearly as rare or as
endangered as the American Crocodile.

But of course, the final resolution of 'If you had the brains..." is
"If. Only if...".

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> It's ALREADY unbearable, for the wildlife.

The cardinals, chickadees, doves, and tufted titmice that live in my
backyard don't find it unbearable. Neither does the possum that lives
in the greenspace behind my house, or the squirrels that raid my bird
feeders, or the armadillos that dig grubs in my yard, or the deer that
eat my garden, or the flock of wild turkeys that lives in the woodlot
next to Chiles High School, or the alligators in Lake Monkey Business
in my subdivision, or the foxes that hunt rabbits in the power line
easement up the street.

**** Durbin
Waiting for the hurricane in Tallahassee

Galen Hekhuis <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 16:50:17 GMT, [email protected] (claudel) wrote:
>
> >In article <[email protected]>,
> >Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote:
> >>On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 02:47:18 GMT, [email protected] (claudel) wrote:
> >>
> >>.In article <[email protected]>,
> >>.Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote:
> >>.>On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 18:48:16 -0400, PMH <[email protected]> wrote:
> >>.>
> >>.>.Jeff Strickland wrote:
> >>.>.
> >>.>.>In the mean time, the crocs will stay put as they
> >>.>.>have for thousands of years.
> >>.>.>
> >>.>.Dunno as Florida has any crocs - outside of zoos & the like.
> >>.>
> >>.>You are right. Jeff Strickland is a (self-described) buffoon.
> >>.>===
> >>.
> >>.You are apparently incorrect.
> >>.
> >>.There _are_ crocodiles in Florida.
> >>
> >>The author must be mistaken. Only ALLIGATORS are native to Florida.

> >You're right. I guess that professional biologists wouldn't know the
> >difference. You should write them and correct their mistake.
> >
> >Be sure to CC Steve Irwin.
> >
> >I'm sure that your input will be appreciated.

> So where did the crocs come from? Did Columbus bring them? Did they swim
> up from Cuba or Jamaca? Did grandparents flush them down the drains when
> their grandchildren got tired of them? What do you mean by "native"?
>
> __
> Galen Hekhuis NpD, JFR, GWA [email protected]
> Illiterate? Write for FREE help

I believe the crocs are native. They have always been rare and live
only in the warmest waters of the southern everglades and in power
plant cooling canals. I have a book published in the 50s that show
them living in a tiny part of Dade and Monroe county.

9 out of 10 Mike Vandemans agree:

> .> Take a look at Tom Tomorrow's cartoon today, about a dog (Bush)
> .> getting elected. Nice.
> .
> .How non-sensical. I'd elaborate, but Shakespeare beat me to the
> punch: ."It is a tale Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
> Signifying .nothing." Kind of describes most of your posts as well,
> doesn't it?
>
> Only for people too dumb to understand them. Are you admitting that?

No. Furthermore, your claim the the cartoon is only nonsensical to people of
low intelligence is incorrect. I have no interest in someone who slaps a
random, denegrating label on a public figure and pronounces it to be biting
social commentary. Also, since Mr. Tomorrow seems to be capable of drawing
only 4 characters in 2 positions, it is often difficult to determine who he
is attempting to lampoon.

--
__ __ _ ___ ___
/ _|/ _/ |_ _|_ _|

[email protected]

>So you're voting for Bush? Idiot

Don't you love the typical liberals' "sensitivity", "inclusion", "celebration
of diversity", "open mind-ness" and "tolerance".
Rich H.

I'm sorry, but who forced those people to live in Florida? I live in
Southern California by my own choosing. I take the chances with
earthquakes, but it was me who decided to continuing living in
California after graduating from College.

As it has been stated before, you live in the Bay area. It's also been
stated that with current codes, you're living structure is safe. Okay,
nice you're a betting man. What happens when the "Big" one happens and
by chance, these structures that were built by code, aren't standing.

About Bush and fossil fuels, well, the blame lies with both parties.
That is a fact. I didn't see Clinton/Gore doing much in this matter.
Carter had his renewable energy credits, which were good, but too bad
there were contractors that jacked up their prices when these credits
came in. Don't even talk about Kerry. He won't even admit that he owns
a SUV-states that it belongs to the family. Come on, get real!!!

Yea, it would be nice if we lived in a perfect societ. I'm a idealist
too. But the facts are that reality is different. If we want to get
off fossil fuels, we need to put more of a push into renewable energy
and get back into NUCLEAR power. Yes, that awful "N" word. But it
helps us get off the fossil fuels.

It would be nice if San Diego had a light rail system going down the
I-15 corridor (From the North County). I would jump on the chance to
take that to work, but sadly, since I have to be at work at 5am, I
drive my car. Much too early to ride my bike for me. Reality is
different than what I want.

Mike, being an idealist is nice, but it also can stress a person out
when they can get others to follow their idealism. Reality wins.

Ben Flogged Daley

[email protected]

Benjamin Flogged Daley wrote:

{snip well-reasoned reply -- M^V won't consider any of it anyway}

> It would be nice if San Diego had a light rail system going down the
> I-15 corridor (From the North County).

> Ben Flogged Daley

I've been "flogged" at Daley Ranch -- just a coincidence?!?

Bill "overdue for a ride there" S.

(For rest of world: Daley Ranch is a hiking and biking area in north SD
County. Poster's name struck a...rock.)

[...]

It's plain to see. Some of you cannot live without Mikey, who is destined to
become a usenet legend.

On 13 Sep 2004 11:59:46 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>"Birdman42" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
>> It's plain to see. Some of you cannot live without Mikey, who is destined to
>> become a usenet legend.

>Mikey in these news groups is like the sound of a major highway
>in the forest. It makes you appreciate the forest all the more.
>Socks

So, how about those Red Sox?

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA

In "Birdman42" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:<[email protected]>...
>> It's plain to see. Some of you cannot live without Mikey, who is destined to
>> become a usenet legend.

Not likely. At best in the obsolete selection of groups you and he
cross post to. Usenet has moved on. You only have 4 hierarchies only
1-2 major (debatable). The rest of us can ignore, or pick and chose,
redirect, etc. He has a long way to go compared to Kibo or Archimedes
Pu, and others.

>Mikey in these news groups is like the sound of a major highway
>in the forest. It makes you appreciate the forest all the more.

Interesting comparison. I'm not certain if I would agree or not, but
it's not bad.

--

>QUOTE=Gary S.]
>
>So, how about those Red Sox?

You *gotta* love 'em. We are holding down the fort, as it were, here on the left coast. Every time we go see them in Seattle they split or lose outright.

K.