Another one...

"Super Slinky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Paladin said...
> > This particular person couldn't breath for a while, and I feared a punctured lung. He turned a
> > sickly shade of blue, then grey-green with tears streaming down his face, unable to talk, but
> > his saucer sized eyes were in a panic. Then his breathing came back, etc., but had a buntcha
> > busted ribs & owwies. Serves him right.

> Uh oh. You're gonna be paying some medical bill$. Not that the guy didn't deserve it. What
> an idiot.

It was 10 years ago.

Bill "and the bills were discussed too" S.

Sorni said...

> It was 10 years ago.
>
> Bill "and the bills were discussed too" S.

Oh. I guess I wasn't paying attention, eh?

"deluxe model" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> "Paladin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > This particular person couldn't breath for a while, and I feared a punctured lung. He turned a
> > sickly shade of blue, then grey-green with tears streaming down his face, unable to talk, but
> > his saucer sized eyes were in a panic. Then his breathing came back, etc., but had a buntcha
> > busted ribs & owwies. Serves him right.
> >
> I'm wondering, just what that moron was thinking in the first place that possessed him to do it?

I am too. I had told him that I was tired of having 18yr olds bang on me, was gonna get out of the
whole martial arts scene, was looking at more mountain biking, hiking, running trails, etc., that I
never spar or horse around outside the club, to protect myself and others. It was a pretty laid back
conversation, and as some of you know, I'm a pretty laid back guy.

But he surprised me and just went full power on this choke, strangle combo hold, and I started
blacking out. Reminded me how in cop training 20+yrs ago we used to have to choke each other out.
Not fun. But I went into survival mode (guess that's why we practice the same moves thousands of
times, eh?) and broke the hold with something more akin to WWF than kickboxing or karate. I got us
airborne, and made sure I landed on top. Cah-runch! Fairly common move in greco-roman wrestling and
jiu-jitsu.

One consolation is he said I was the first one to break this hold, as others would lose conciousness
trying to tear his hands and arms off my neck. I approached it unconciously from a different angle.
The Hulk Hogan modified body slam.

Funny update is that after we got past me not paying his medical bills, etc., we became real
good friends.

Paladin wrote:

> "deluxe model" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>
>>"Paladin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>news:[email protected]...
>>
>>>This particular person couldn't breath for a while, and I feared a punctured lung. He turned a
>>>sickly shade of blue, then grey-green with tears streaming down his face, unable to talk, but his
>>>saucer sized eyes were in a panic. Then his breathing came back, etc., but had a buntcha busted
>>>ribs & owwies. Serves him right.
>>>

>>I'm wondering, just what that moron was thinking in the first place that possessed him to do it?
>

> I am too. I had told him that I was tired of having 18yr olds bang on me, was gonna get out of the
> whole martial arts scene, was looking at more mountain biking, hiking, running trails, etc., that
> I never spar or horse around outside the club, to protect myself and others. It was a pretty laid
> back conversation, and as some of you know, I'm a pretty laid back guy.
>
> But he surprised me and just went full power on this choke, strangle combo hold, and I started
> blacking out. Reminded me how in cop training 20+yrs ago we used to have to choke each other out.
> Not fun. But I went into survival mode (guess that's why we practice the same moves thousands of
> times, eh?) and broke the hold with something more akin to WWF than kickboxing or karate. I got us
> airborne, and made sure I landed on top. Cah-runch! Fairly common move in greco-roman wrestling
> and jiu-jitsu.
>
> One consolation is he said I was the first one to break this hold, as others would lose
> conciousness trying to tear his hands and arms off my neck. I approached it unconciously from a
> different angle. The Hulk Hogan modified body slam.
>
> Funny update is that after we got past me not paying his medical bills, etc., we became real good
> friends.

I'll bet that was the last time he pulled that particular dumbass stunt, too. Served him right...

Kathleen

Paladin <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> Reminds me of an incident 10 yrs ago when a big guy tries to choke me out in my own home after we
> watch a video together, then he asks what do I do for fun, & I tell him I'm getting tired of
> training almost every night, fighting a little in ISKA, instructing kids on weekends, sparring
> some really good fighters, but thinking of hanging it all up at my age to do a lot more mountain
> biking. The views, the cameraderie, the great outdoors, etc. were calling me. So the doof just up
> and says, "If you're so tough, [whaat?] get out of this!!"
>
> He didn't give me any time to diffuse the situation with an abundance of charm or wit, so reaction
> kicked in, and my nearly hysterical wife had to call an ambulance to haul the turkey off on a
> stretcher when the dust settled about 5 seconds later. I had to reenact the whole scene for the
> cops and paramedics to avoid getting arrested for busting up this clown. (He even tried to get my
> insurance to pay for the ambulance, the E.R., the casts, etc.!) Of course, they also sent a fire
> truck to the house. [I wasn't that hot...!] And thank God I'm in Idaho where a guy can still
> defend himself in his own home.
>
> So I agree. Some dogs shouldn't get off the porch. Whatever.
>
> Paladin

Heheheheh - wish you had an m.peg of that!

Shaun aRe

deluxe model <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> > > Oh come on, we're not all that bad.
> >
> > Pah!
> >
> For the most part at least

So? Doesn't stop me mekkin' fun outa y'all.

> > > Egg salad samwiches rock. Your recipe is a bit different though.
> >
> > Yeah, mine is all about eggs and chiles. I love chiles. I think I eat _faaaaar_ to many chiles,
> > but I like it that way. Some days, I can't get further than 50 yards from the loo, and have an
> > intense burning in my
> lower
> > intestinal tract. When this happens, I wait until it's gone before I eat (many) more chiles.
> >
> Just don't eat a bunch of them the night before a big ride is planned.
That,
> or bring a roll of paper with you.

You think I haven't already found that out? Heheheh................

> > I buy them by the pound (1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 lb), have 'em raw with cheese
> and
> > cackers, cooked in stuff, dry some, make hot sauces with 'em and stuff
> like
> > that. Kath and meself grew some this year that've turned out pretty
damned
> > good too ',;~}~
> >
> I like them too, but my parents love them. They do a garden every year,
and
> dedicate an entire row to various peppers. I live next door, and help
myself
> to them. :)

Ahh! Nice work ',;~}~

> > > but have egg foo yung many times while eating out, which is very similar.
> >
> > Yup - indeed. Always puzzled me why they call it 'egg foo-yung', when according to a Chinese
> > fella I once knew, 'foo-yung' just means
'egg-dish'
> > anyhow, heheheheh........
> >
> I think the 'egg' part is added to the nym for the benefit of us
foreigners
> that can't read Chinese.

Still - it's an unnecessary redundancy, heheheheh......

> > > I love a white pizza with just veggies.
> >
> > Oh, I have to have tomattie paste stuff on - my major 'beef' with most
> pizza
> > places is that they don't put near enough on. Oh, it has to have chiles
on
> > too, or it's just not a proper pizza.
> >
> I love the tomato paste as well, but was a little blown away by how good
the
> pizza was without it. Of course I had the pizza up in Jersey, which has
some
> of the best period.

Eeeewwww! You relli don' wanna put that on a pizza, dude........

> > green
> > > >
> > > Yep, it's called split pea soup made pretty much exactly the same,
> served
> > up
> > > with the onion, and hot sauce.
> >
> > Ahh - like to make that with a ham shank and split green peas - boil the shank whole on the bone
> > until cooked, put the peas in the liquid along
> with
> > the shredded salty ham from the shank, add the usual suspects (and some unusual ones too, to
> > taste of course), eat when done.
> >
> That's about how I do mine, but I add a few bay leaves, and throw in some pickled pork too.

Oh yeah - gotta have bay leaves in. Suit dumplings too!

> > > I need to come over for dinner.
> >
> > Bring a bottle (or three) - I love drinking too. Oh, and I can't cook properly without an open
> > bottle of good red wine and a big (1/4-1/3rd
> bottle
> > sized) wine glass to drink it from - I get all confused and can't
remember
> > what I'm supposed to be doing next, like there's something seriously
> amiss,
> > y'know? ',;~}~
> >
> After I stopped drinking, it was tough cooking without having that ballast in the other hand to
> balance things out. :)

I betcha. So, some dark and sinister story behind your givin' it up then? ',;~}~

> > > I love eating too.
> >
> > Me too, but to look at me, you wouldn't guess it at all.
> >
> I think I've gained a few pound with this thread.

Heheheheh - I felt like I was wasting away from starvation..........heheheh.......

Shaun aRe

deluxe model <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> > > I don't drink, or smoke anymore, but I still worry about when I ain't
> got
> > > any. :)
> >
> > Quitting the smokes I can understand, but drink? Well, I think it must
be
> > because <insert mean comment form earlier>.
> >
> I quit smoking about five years ago because of mtb'ing.

That's gonna be my prime motivation in all likelihood.

> I quit drinking because it was no longer my friend.

Ahh - say no more.

> > > I prefer a creole gumbo over a roux gumbo any day. That goes for pretty much most everything
> > > cajun. Gator
> > dishes
> > > can be had here. So can nutria, but I'm not a fan of eating giant
> rodents.
> >
> > So, what kinda rodentis that then? Oh, and WTF does gator taste like?
> Always
> > wondered......
> >
> Nutria is an aquatic (they spend lots of time in the water) rodent that
was
> imported from South, or Central America, and are the size of a
small/medium
> dog. They are overtaking the swamps, and bayous. There is now a bounty of
$5
> or so for every tail you bring in to the wildlife peeps.

So, a bit like capibara but smaller? Bet they taste quite good!

> Gator taste kind of like gamey chicken.

I was afraid you'd say that, heheheh..........

> > > The local trail is a lot of fun. There are no real hills to climb, or
> > > bomb down, but what we do have are straight up and down mini hills,
that
> > you
> > > climb with momentum. They would be too steep to climb otherwise.
> >
> > Roller-coaster!
> >
> That's it exactly. Very, very fast and flowing. So fast in fact, you have
> slow down some for a lot of the downhils, or you'll miss them, and smack into the ground below.
> Not something I want to do.

Need a belly full o' mt. dew for that eh?

> > Yeah - it's my lungs that let me down first, but I'm not too bad a
> climber -
> > have to be at least half decent living around here since it's virtually
> all
> > hills.
> >
> It's legs for me, but not so much giving out, as much as it was a certain pain I was not used to.
> Still though, a ride, is a ride, is a ride, and
they
> all hurt so good.

Truth - gotta start getting more rides in again. I've been doing virtually sod all riding for too
long - ill, moving house, moving again, planning a wedding, getting married, trying to find places
for all the wedding gifts and stuff like that.

Shaun aRe - permanently tired out these days.......heheheh...........

Kathleen <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Paladin wrote:
>
> > "deluxe model" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:<[email protected]>...
> >
> >>"Paladin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >>news:[email protected]...

> >>I'm wondering, just what that moron was thinking in the first place that possessed him to do it?
> >

> > I am too. I had told him that I was tired of having 18yr olds bang on me, was gonna get out of
> > the whole martial arts scene, was looking at more mountain biking, hiking, running trails, etc.,
> > that I never spar or horse around outside the club, to protect myself and others. It was a
> > pretty laid back conversation, and as some of you know, I'm a pretty laid back guy.
> >
> > But he surprised me and just went full power on this choke, strangle combo hold, and I started
> > blacking out. Reminded me how in cop training 20+yrs ago we used to have to choke each other
> > out. Not fun. But I went into survival mode (guess that's why we practice the same moves
> > thousands of times, eh?) and broke the hold with something more akin to WWF than kickboxing or
> > karate. I got us airborne, and made sure I landed on top. Cah-runch! Fairly common move in
> > greco-roman wrestling and jiu-jitsu.
> >
> > One consolation is he said I was the first one to break this hold, as others would lose
> > conciousness trying to tear his hands and arms off my neck. I approached it unconciously from a
> > different angle. The Hulk Hogan modified body slam.
> >
> > Funny update is that after we got past me not paying his medical bills, etc., we became real
> > good friends.
>
> I'll bet that was the last time he pulled that particular dumbass stunt, too. Served him right...
>
> Kathleen

Yep. The more I think about it, I think he was a victim of what I'll term, "new-muscles induced
confidence" as he had started lifting weights at a gym and thought he was hot stuff. And he told his
new wife that the two of us were "just horsing around" and his injuries "just happened." O well,
even I can appreciate the need to preserve peace on the home front. As opposed to: "Guess what I did
for fun today, honey? I was feeling like a bad-ass mofo from working out at the gym, so I attacked
this kickboxing instructor friend in his family room tonight. Can you come down to St. Lukes ER and
take me home?"

O well, now I have to go through that whole martial arts attitude with my teenaged son. I wish he
wasn't so much like I was at his age.

Paladin

Paladin wrote:

I wish he wasn't so much like I was at his age.

> Paladin

A fathers worst fears realized, "he is just like me".

--
Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado (remove ".nospam" to reply)

Craig Brossman <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Paladin wrote:
>
> I wish he wasn't so much like I was at his age.
> >
> > Paladin
>
> A fathers worst fears realized, "he is just like me".

It's really pretty funny when I see myself in him. Right now there's this unconcious competition for
who's really going to reign as the dominant alpha-male at the top of the pack.

He's asserting himself, flexing his muscles, his ability to reason, challenge the rules, all part of
the emotional, psychological development of getting ready to get out and cut his own way in life. We
watch his attitude, and so long as that stays OK, I don't discourage his flexing and pushing. He
decided the Friday before AMB-ID 2003 that he wanted to ride it the next day, and advanced rated
ride at elevation, even though he had literally not been on his bike more than twice in 9 mos.
Youth, determination, and strength kept him in the front of the pack pretty much the whole way.
Sunday and Monday he was sick in bed, total shut down, but it shows how strong his will is when he
sets his mind to something.

However, as fun as being a dad is (and it's usually the greatest) It's been hard to have been
magically transformed into an absolutely ignorant idiot once the kids entered teenage, but I've
gotten used to
it.

Paladin

"Paladin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> However, as fun as being a dad is (and it's usually the greatest) It's been hard to have been
> magically transformed into an absolutely ignorant idiot once the kids entered teenage, but I've
> gotten used to
> it.

That's OK. When he reaches his mid-20's or so, you'll suddenly grow much smarter again.

Bill "my old man's IQ *still* fluctuates decade-to-decade" S.

> deluxe model <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

> > > Pah!
> > >
> > For the most part at least
>
> So? Doesn't stop me mekkin' fun outa y'all.

Of course! My pal James Whyley from your part of the world does the same.

> > Just don't eat a bunch of them the night before a big ride is planned.
> That,
> > or bring a roll of paper with you.
>
> You think I haven't already found that out? Heheheh................

So did a riding pal, 'cept he had to use leaves (ouch!!).

> > I think the 'egg' part is added to the nym for the benefit of us
> foreigners
> > that can't read Chinese.
>
> Still - it's an unnecessary redundancy, heheheheh......

Translation you mean?

> > I love the tomato paste as well, but was a little blown away by how good
> the
> > pizza was without it. Of course I had the pizza up in Jersey, which has
> some
> > of the best period.
>
> Eeeewwww! You relli don' wanna put that on a pizza, dude........

What's that?

> > That's about how I do mine, but I add a few bay leaves, and throw in
some
> > pickled pork too.
>
> Oh yeah - gotta have bay leaves in. Suit dumplings too!

Tell me about suit dumplings?

> > After I stopped drinking, it was tough cooking without having that
ballast
> > in the other hand to balance things out. :)
>
> I betcha. So, some dark and sinister story behind your givin' it up then? ',;~}~

Yes! I'm a drunk. I stopped over 4-1/2 years ago.

> > > Me too, but to look at me, you wouldn't guess it at all.
> > >
> > I think I've gained a few pound with this thread.
>
> Heheheheh - I felt like I was wasting away from starvation..........heheheh.......

Not me. Just had a taco salad, and coffee 'now'.

"Paladin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "deluxe model" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>... <snip>

> One consolation is he said I was the first one to break this hold, as others would lose
> conciousness trying to tear his hands and arms off my neck. I approached it unconciously from a
> different angle. The Hulk Hogan modified body slam.

How's that?

> Funny update is that after we got past me not paying his medical bills, etc., we became real good
> friends.

Has he tried to choke you again? :)

> deluxe model <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]... I quit smoking about five years ago because
> > of mtb'ing.
>
> That's gonna be my prime motivation in all likelihood.

It's a good investment. Your lungs start to recover almost right away, and over a period of a few
years (not sure how many), pretty much all crapola in your lungs go away.

> > I quit drinking because it was no longer my friend.
>
> Ahh - say no more.

Ok.

> > Nutria is an aquatic (they spend lots of time in the water) rodent that
> was
> > imported from South, or Central America, and are the size of a
> small/medium
> > dog. They are overtaking the swamps, and bayous. There is now a bounty
of
> $5
> > or so for every tail you bring in to the wildlife peeps.
>
> So, a bit like capibara but smaller? Bet they taste quite good!

Not that bad when I unknowingly had some.

> > Gator taste kind of like gamey chicken.
>
> I was afraid you'd say that, heheheh..........

Yeah, I'm not a fan of gamey food.

> > That's it exactly. Very, very fast and flowing. So fast in fact, you
have
> > slow down some for a lot of the downhils, or you'll miss them, and smack into the ground below.
> > Not something I want to do.
>
> Need a belly full o' mt. dew for that eh?

Not me! I've come close to missing a few, but I don't do drops, or kamikaze stuff on purpose. I
don't want to break me, or my bike.

> > It's legs for me, but not so much giving out, as much as it was a
certain
> > pain I was not used to. Still though, a ride, is a ride, is a ride, and
> they
> > all hurt so good.
>

> Truth - gotta start getting more rides in again. I've been doing virtually sod all riding for too
> long - ill, moving house, moving again, planning a wedding, getting married, trying to find places
> for all the wedding gifts and stuff like that.

Ah......marriage will do that. Take her riding, but take it easy.

"deluxe model" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> "Paladin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > "deluxe model" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>... <snip>
>
> > One consolation is he said I was the first one to break this hold, as others would lose
> > conciousness trying to tear his hands and arms off my neck. I approached it unconciously from a
> > different angle. The Hulk Hogan modified body slam.
> >
> How's that?

I used this maneuver in Jr Hi in a vile armpit called east L.A. during constant violent
confrontations. Works for most choke holds, head locks and attacks from behind. I may have initially
learned it in aikido. I don't remember, but it basically has you positioning yourself (or at least
your lower body) behind the attackers legs, or at least one of his legs. then you get him high
centered, losing his balance when you thrust upwards and back, picking you both up, and a slight
twist of your body puts him on the bottom and you on top. If done properly, they let go. ;)

> > Funny update is that after we got past me not paying his medical bills, etc., we became real
> > good friends.
>
> Has he tried to choke you again? :)

Only with his home-made beer.

Paladin

Paladin wrote:

> Craig Brossman <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>
>>Paladin wrote:
>>
>> I wish he wasn't so much like I was at his age.
>>
>>>Paladin
>>
>>A fathers worst fears realized, "he is just like me".
>

> It's really pretty funny when I see myself in him. Right now there's this unconcious competition
> for who's really going to reign as the dominant alpha-male at the top of the pack.
>
> He's asserting himself, flexing his muscles, his ability to reason, challenge the rules, all part
> of the emotional, psychological development of getting ready to get out and cut his own way in
> life. We watch his attitude, and so long as that stays OK, I don't discourage his flexing and
> pushing. He decided the Friday before AMB-ID 2003 that he wanted to ride it the next day, and
> advanced rated ride at elevation, even though he had literally not been on his bike more than
> twice in 9 mos. Youth, determination, and strength kept him in the front of the pack pretty much
> the whole way. Sunday and Monday he was sick in bed, total shut down, but it shows how strong his
> will is when he sets his mind to something.
>
> However, as fun as being a dad is (and it's usually the greatest) It's been hard to have been
> magically transformed into an absolutely ignorant idiot once the kids entered teenage, but I've
> gotten used to
> it.

None of that is male specific. I've got a thirteen year-old daughter, and while the muscle-flexing
is mainly verbal, she still needs to be reminded periodically of her relative position in the pack.

There are times when the only thing between her and a major smack-down are my own very clear
memories of what it was like to be that age, and the fact that I realize that the only thing worse
than having a 13 year-old girl around is BEING a 13 year-old girl.

Kathleen "This too shall pass"

"Paladin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "deluxe model" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > "Paladin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > "deluxe model" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:<[email protected]>... <snip>
> >
> > > One consolation is he said I was the first one to break this hold, as others would lose
> > > conciousness trying to tear his hands and arms off my neck. I approached it unconciously from
> > > a different angle. The Hulk Hogan modified body slam.
> > >
> > How's that?
>
> I used this maneuver in Jr Hi in a vile armpit called east L.A. during constant violent
> confrontations. Works for most choke holds, head locks and attacks from behind. I may have
> initially learned it in aikido. I don't remember, but it basically has you positioning yourself
> (or at least your lower body) behind the attackers legs, or at least one of his legs. then you get
> him high centered, losing his balance when you thrust upwards and back, picking you both up, and a
> slight twist of your body puts him on the bottom and you on top. If done properly, they let go. ;)

I've been told that using ones own body weight can be quite effective as a defense.

> > > Funny update is that after we got past me not paying his medical bills, etc., we became real
> > > good friends.
> >
> > Has he tried to choke you again? :)
>
> Only with his home-made beer.

Poor guy. I've actually had some home brews that were quite good.

On 8 Sep 2003 13:57:33 -0700, [email protected] (Paladin) wrote:

>Craig Brossman <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:<[email protected]>...
>> Paladin wrote:
>>
>> I wish he wasn't so much like I was at his age.
>> >
>> > Paladin
>>
>> A fathers worst fears realized, "he is just like me".
>
>It's really pretty funny when I see myself in him. Right now there's this unconcious competition
>for who's really going to reign as the dominant alpha-male at the top of the pack.
>
>He's asserting himself, flexing his muscles, his ability to reason, challenge the rules, all part
>of the emotional, psychological development of getting ready to get out and cut his own way in
>life. We watch his attitude, and so long as that stays OK, I don't discourage his flexing and
>pushing. He decided the Friday before AMB-ID 2003 that he wanted to ride it the next day, and
>advanced rated ride at elevation, even though he had literally not been on his bike more than twice
>in 9 mos. Youth, determination, and strength kept him in the front of the pack pretty much the
>whole way. Sunday and Monday he was sick in bed, total shut down, but it shows how strong his will
>is when he sets his mind to something.
>
>However, as fun as being a dad is (and it's usually the greatest) It's been hard to have been
>magically transformed into an absolutely ignorant idiot once the kids entered teenage, but I've
>gotten used to
>it.
>
>Paladin

yea, I'm looking forward to that...right now, I'm god-like to him. I'm sure that'll change soon
enough. But that's o.k, I don't think thats the idea.