Another one...

"Monique Y. Herman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Tue, 9 Sep 2003 18:35:05 -0500, deluxe model <[email protected]>
penned:

> > I like girly grrls. One comes to mind I'd see at the trail was about
5'10",
> > 'drop dead gorgeous', knew how to be a lady, but could kick_my_ass on
the
> > trail.
> >

> Girly grrls irritate the hell out of me because I've never been able to manage it. It's just not
> fair! Girls should divide into functional and girly, for easy categorization.
>
> Yes, I'm joking. It's great that some women can do that ... it just leaves me seething with
> jealousy =)

She worked very hard to be able to do this. She was into doing triathlons, not just riding. Now
she's married, and a mom, and can still kick my ass. There was another the same age as me, that
started a race 15 minutes after mine did, and she caught my ass.

She was riding at least five times a week, where I was only riding two. She was a lot fitter than
me. Just keep at it, and keep riding.

> A woman at my old company was the high-maintenance, lots of makeup, professionally done nails with
> little charms hanging off of them, etc., type. A bunch of us went out to play paintball ... and
> damn, she could outshoot and outmaneuver every one of us, all without breaking a nail. (I should
> have guessed it, of course, since she's ex-Army.)
>
> It should be illegal, I tell you!

No kidding! I bet that caught you guys by surprise.

Penny S said...

> it has no meaning. At least chick does, some cute young thing that gets the blood flowing (??)
> Chyk seems like a cross between Klingon and Rominan, mangled through a

> ;-)
>
> Penny

Whoa. Klingon women. Now there is some scary imagery I wasn't prepared for.

Monique Y. Herman said...

> One woman is not all woman-kind =)
>
> I admit to extremely briefly wondering whether "chyk" was supposed to have a positive or negative
> connotation. And on second reading just now, I wondered if it might have an intended relationship
> to "dyke"?

I really don't think so. This is mixed company and I doubt DM would post something to deliberately
alienate our small female minority.

> On the other hand, my reaction to grrl has always been ambivalence. On one hand, I generally like
> the "tough chick" aura it's intended to convey; on the other hand, it strikes me as being a little
> too self-aware and, well, trying too hard to "seem" like a "grrl." If you have to call yourself a
> grrl, the grr must not come through very loudly. Better to walk the walk than talk the talk, etc
> etc yadda yadda.

OTOH, I have never been impressed with the 'grrl' thing. I'm not talking about you or Penny, but
it makes me think of a woman who is too eager to react violently to harmless things like the
word 'chick'.

> Was that four hands now?
>
> I remember how upset my father was when I referred to myself and other young women as chicks, as a
> teenager. He said that in his day, chick was definitely a word used as an insult by men to women,
> so he was quite taken aback to hear it used by a woman.

Hmm. I guess I'm not old enough to remember when that was.

news:<[email protected]>...
> Paladin <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > Heheheheh - wish you had an m.peg of that!
> > >
> > > Shaun aRe
> >
> > Me too. What you'd see is 2 very average, relatively fit looking guys standing by the couch
> > talking, the smaller (but definitely cooler) dude turns to do something when the attacker slips
> > behind the other, gets his arms all entwined around the victim's neck, the victim goes gonzo and
> > has them both about 2 feet off the ground, coming down fast. The intended victim landed on top.
> > he he he. Nice of this guy to break my fall. Remember the scene in Bourne Identity when the bad
> > guy breaks the fall of the Matt Damon in the stairwell? This was not quite so dramatic.
> >
> > A winning entrant in stupidest home videos.
> >
> > Paladin
>
> Heheheh - sounds like y'all had fun there! ',;~}~
>

> Shaun aRe

Fun is a very flexible word. I almost killed him. Almost got arrested and charged with aggravated
battery (excessive force and all that). Almost got sued for his injuries and lost wages, etc. But
when I started blacking out, I had no time to think. Even a housecat in a corner can be a dangerous
thing. I probably shouldn't have brought the incident up at all, except somebody's comment about a
ciuhaha with an attitude still wasn't gonna win a fight or something like that. This guy even wore
one of those weightlifting sleeveless shirts, and had the whole swagger going. But seriously, I was
in top form back then, and it was pretty stupid to jump me.

Now? I'd probably pass out and then invite him out on our Wed morning group ride, or to join me at
church on Sunday.

Paladin

"Super Slinky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> OTOH, I have never been impressed with the 'grrl' thing. I'm not talking about you or Penny, but
> it makes me think of a woman who is too eager to react violently to harmless things like the word
> 'chick'.

I never think of the "grrr" thing when I see grrl. It connotes more of a "tough girl/one of the
guys" kind of image to me. (Sort of like those "Biker Chiks" or "Girls {Heart} Dirt" logos.)

Bill "has a female friend who has issues with the word 'gal' however" S.

On Tue, 9 Sep 2003 18:58:59 -0500, deluxe model <[email protected]> penned:

> She worked very hard to be able to do this. She was into doing triathlons, not just riding. Now
> she's married, and a mom, and can still kick my ass. There was another the same age as me, that
> started a race 15 minutes after mine did, and she caught my ass.
>
> She was riding at least five times a week, where I was only riding two. She was a lot fitter than
> me. Just keep at it, and keep riding.

Ah, yeah.

I have no doubt that I could develop a pretty strong "grr factor," as my aunt would say. I do doubt
my ability to develop anything resembling femininity. You described her as girl and grrly -- I think
I could be the latter with some effort, but rarely the former.

--
monique

My pointless ramblings: http://www.bounceswoosh.org/phorum/index.php?f=6

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 01:58:59 GMT, Super Slinky <[email protected]> penned:
> Monique Y. Herman said...
>
>> One woman is not all woman-kind =)
>>
>> I admit to extremely briefly wondering whether "chyk" was supposed to have a positive or negative
>> connotation. And on second reading just now, I wondered if it might have an intended relationship
>> to "dyke"?
>
> I really don't think so. This is mixed company and I doubt DM would post something to deliberately
> alienate our small female minority.

I don't think so either. Just sharing the random firings of my synapses ...

> OTOH, I have never been impressed with the 'grrl' thing. I'm not talking about you or Penny, but
> it makes me think of a woman who is too eager to react violently to harmless things like the word
> 'chick'.

rofl

>> Was that four hands now?
>>
>> I remember how upset my father was when I referred to myself and other young women as chicks, as
>> a teenager. He said that in his day, chick was definitely a word used as an insult by men to
>> women, so he was quite taken aback to hear it used by a woman.
>
> Hmm. I guess I'm not old enough to remember when that was.

Well, my dad has been known to have some pretty off-the-wall ideas ... at least, I definitely
remember him being completely loonie while I was a teenager *grin*

--
monique

My pointless ramblings: http://www.bounceswoosh.org/phorum/index.php?f=6

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 02:49:58 GMT, Sorni <[email protected]> penned:

> I never think of the "grrr" thing when I see grrl. It connotes more of a "tough girl/one of the
> guys" kind of image to me. (Sort of like those "Biker Chiks" or "Girls {Heart} Dirt" logos.)
>
> Bill "has a female friend who has issues with the word 'gal' however" S.

Okay, now, I gotta ask. What's wrong with 'gal'?

I think my favorite such slogan -- intended for guys, I'm sure, but I'm happy to appropriate it for
my own use -- is:

Bones heal Chicks dig scars Pain is temporary and Glory is forever

Need to find a tee-shirt, or have one made, with exactly that on it ... I've seen variations, but
that's the phrasing I like the best.

--

Monique Y. Herman wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 02:49:58 GMT, Sorni <[email protected]> penned:
>
>>I never think of the "grrr" thing when I see grrl. It connotes more of a "tough girl/one of the
>>guys" kind of image to me. (Sort of like those "Biker Chiks" or "Girls {Heart} Dirt" logos.)
>>
>>Bill "has a female friend who has issues with the word 'gal' however" S.
>

> Okay, now, I gotta ask. What's wrong with 'gal'?
<snip>

Nothing. I like "gal". Less formal than woman or lady... Sort of like "girl", with the age
connotation stripped away. I don't mind "broad", either.

Kathleen

Penny S wrote:
> Monique Y. Herman wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 09 Sep 2003 23:15:24 GMT, Super Slinky <[email protected]> penned:
>>
>>>Penny S said...

>>>I like it. I really don't see why women get their blood pressure up over words like this.
>>
>>One woman is not all woman-kind =)
>>
>>I admit to extremely briefly wondering whether "chyk" was supposed to have a positive or negative
>>connotation. And on second reading just now, I wondered if it might have an intended relationship
>>to "dyke"?
>

> hence my reference to womyn and wimmin, names created by seperatist feminists. Oh and let's not
> forget wymyn....(roll eyes)
>
> I've been wondering what the reaction would be if women start coming up with all these cutesy
> names for men that would have to be puzzled out. Dewd, that's been done. But what about gye? Gie?
> Gize for more than one? Stuhd? What would it mean? <snip>

I've already seen "boi" and "boyz". Both tend to trip the same gag reflex triggered by "grrl",
"wymyn" or "chyk".

All of it strikes me as just too precious. If somebody wants to define my by gender, woman, lady or
girl (if you insist) is good enough. If you want to get more specific than that, there's a whole
rainbow of adjectives out there that can get the point across without resorting to made up words
with cutesy spellings.

Kathleen

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 08:24:36 -0500, Kathleen <[email protected]> wrote:

> Monique Y. Herman wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 02:49:58 GMT, Sorni <[email protected]> penned:
>>
>>> I never think of the "grrr" thing when I see grrl. It connotes more of a "tough girl/one of the
>>> guys" kind of image to me. (Sort of like those "Biker Chiks" or "Girls {Heart} Dirt" logos.)
>>>
>>> Bill "has a female friend who has issues with the word 'gal' however"
>>> S.
>>

>> Okay, now, I gotta ask. What's wrong with 'gal'?
> <snip>
>
> Nothing. I like "gal". Less formal than woman or lady... Sort of like "girl", with the age
> connotation stripped away. I don't mind "broad", either.
>
> Kathleen

Broad? I always thought this word had a negative connotation.

--
Bob M in CT Remove 'x.' to reply

"Monique Y. Herman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Tue, 9 Sep 2003 18:58:59 -0500, deluxe model <[email protected]>
penned:

> > She worked very hard to be able to do this. She was into doing
triathlons,
> > not just riding. Now she's married, and a mom, and can still kick my
ass.
> > There was another the same age as me, that started a race 15 minutes
after
> > mine did, and she caught my ass.
> >
> > She was riding at least five times a week, where I was only riding two.
She
> > was a lot fitter than me. Just keep at it, and keep riding.
>
> Ah, yeah.
>
> I have no doubt that I could develop a pretty strong "grr factor," as my aunt would say. I do
> doubt my ability to develop anything resembling femininity. You described her as girl and grrly --
> I think I could be the latter with some effort, but rarely the former.

But that is what makes Monique, unique. Being yourself is real, and that is what I find most
attractive in a person.

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 17:22:27 -0500, deluxe model <[email protected]> penned:

> "Monique Y. Herman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> Ah, yeah.
>>
>> I have no doubt that I could develop a pretty strong "grr factor," as my aunt would say. I do
>> doubt my ability to develop anything resembling femininity. You described her as girl and grrly
>> -- I think I could be the latter with some effort, but rarely the former.
>>
> But that is what makes Monique, unique. Being yourself is real, and that is what I find most
> attractive in a person.

True enough =) Don't worry, I'm not despondent over my lack of girly-ness. I seem to be doing all
right for myself. (We finally bought wedding rings yesterday! Yay! Now just gotta get both sets of
parents in town at the same time so we can go visit the JotP ...)

--
monique

My pointless ramblings: http://www.bounceswoosh.org/phorum/index.php?f=6

"Monique Y. Herman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 17:22:27 -0500, deluxe model <[email protected]>
penned:

> > "Monique Y. Herman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >>
> >> Ah, yeah.
> >>
> >> I have no doubt that I could develop a pretty strong "grr factor," as
my
> >> aunt would say. I do doubt my ability to develop anything resembling femininity. You described
> >> her as girl and grrly -- I think I could be the latter with some effort, but rarely the former.
> >>
> > But that is what makes Monique, unique. Being yourself is real, and that
is
> > what I find most attractive in a person.
> >

> True enough =) Don't worry, I'm not despondent over my lack of girly-ness. I seem to be doing all
> right for myself. (We finally bought wedding rings yesterday!

Congrats! I think I still have mine somewhere around here.

>Yay! Now just gotta get both sets of parents in town at the same time so we can go visit the
>JotP ...)

Do they live out of state?

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 17:37:25 -0500, deluxe model <[email protected]> penned:

> "Monique Y. Herman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Yay! Now just gotta get both sets of parents in town at the same time so we can go visit the
>>JotP ...)
>>
> Do they live out of state?

Yup. We're in Colorado; my parents are in North Carolina and his are in Arizona. That alone wouldn't
be such a big deal, but of course, being retired, they have their own agendas; many trips planned to
see various friends and relatives.

Fortunately, neither fiance nor I can stomach the idea of planning a wedding, so we're just going to
pick a day, do the justice of the peace thing, and maybe have a nice dinner with the parents. This
makes date-setting pretty easy, in theory. I'm eyeing the first week of December, for no better
reason than that it's the first time in the near future that I think we'll all be available.

Right now, we're trying to decide what to do with the rings -- fiance would like to wear them but
call them engagement rings (don't have the real thing); I would like to wear them and call ourselves
married before the actual event. We'll see what happens. Not that it really matters; I think we're
pretty much de facto married based on Colorado law.

--
monique

My pointless ramblings: http://www.bounceswoosh.org/phorum/index.php?f=6

Monique Y. Herman wrote: We'll see what happens. Not that it really
> matters; I think we're pretty much de facto married based on Colorado law.

way back when, ( early 80's) is was a 30 day common law deal. Mr Adventure and I took that route
for car insurance savings as young twenty-somethings. Have they changed that or is it still the
same, 30 days?

penny

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 15:58:49 -0700, Penny S <[email protected]> penned:

> way back when, ( early 80's) is was a 30 day common law deal. Mr Adventure and I took that route
> for car insurance savings as young twenty-somethings. Have they changed that or is it still the
> same, 30 days?
>
> penny

Honestly not sure ... but we've had renter's and house insurance now in both of our names for about
a year ...

We kept separate car insurance plans for no real reason I can think of; I guess we both like the
companies we have already.