Do You Wear A Helmet While Riding?

Wearing a helmet is a good idea, generally speaking. But usually I do not put it on, as I drive pretty slow.

If you don't wear a helmet because how they look, feel or out of laziness, you don't value your life enough. Accidents are bound to happen and those are some stupid reasons to be dead rather than embarrassed or itchy.

I have never gone to ride without wearing a helmet. A helmets protects you from head injuries incase of a crash. It makes you visible to other road users. Wearing a helmet is also a good example to the young riders.

That's true and I think it's wise that you do it 9lines, especially if we are doing downhill. At the same time there are situations that is really not that important to wear it, if it's a small ride for example.

Statistically, most car accidents happen within a few miles of where one of the drivers lives. People aren't fully engaged in their driving first thing after leaving home, and tend to be more complacent. IMO the same is true about cyclists.

Reactions: sunshiney
Thank you everyone for all the detailed replies. It appears the consensus is yes, as most of you have explained why you do wear a helmet while riding, and it makes complete sense.

I know bike helmets have improved greatly from what they were like years ago. The technology has provided state-of-the-art helmets with better foam liners that are much lighter and better ventilated, and offer more protection. The plastic shells have lots of pretty colors and designs. But, most of all, the protection they provide is paramount. Better safe than sorry!

I found this interesting article: How Bicycle Helmets are Made

mpre53 said:
Statistically, most car accidents happen within a few miles of where one of the drivers lives. People aren't fully engaged in their driving first thing after leaving home, and tend to be more complacent. IMO the same is true about cyclists.

I read that years ago and that is why I moved away from home. Been fine ever since.

jhuskey said:
I read that years ago and that is why I moved away from home. Been fine ever since.
I hear you, and as soon as I move somewhere just long enough to call it home I move again.

I always wear a helmet. Always always. It can't hurt and it might end up saving your life. I have to admit I don't really understand why anyone wouldn't...you can be the safest, most aware, slow moving cyclist in the world but that doesn't mean accidents can't happen. You can't always control your environment and you definitely can't control the people around you. And everyone has moments when their attention wavers a bit, cyclists and drivers both. It only takes a second.

If you land wrong and hit your head on a curb, for instance, you could be in big trouble. I went to high school with a kid who was sitting in the back of a pickup truck, got bounced out, fell 5 feet, hit his head wrong, and unfortunately passed away almost immediately. I try not think about it a lot because obviously it's not a pleasant memory, but it always shoots to mind when I'm on the subject of how important a helmet can potentially be.

Wearing a helmet is a good idea, generally speaking. But usually I do not put it on, as I drive pretty slow.

LOL, so you drive slow and that is why you don't wear the helmet? In your next post you do see to value the helmet more! :D

I always ride a helmet when I ride. It's dangerous not to especially when you live in a big city and people can be jerks in their cars.

That's a sad reality. Just this saturday a friend of mine got hit by a drunk driver that was coming from the night. Fortunately he didn't get hurt, but where there are cars, there is danger.