Drug Enforcement Agency: Methylphenidate (Ritalin)

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 17:57:27 +0100, jake <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 12:15:25 -0400, Mark D Morin
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 16:59:10 +0100, jake <[email protected]> wrote:

>>>sigh..
>>>
>>>what part of this do you not understand?

>>What I understand is that when you post these kinds of statements
>>without any type of qualifications, a certain picture is drawn. You
>>are smart enough to know that and you have demonstrated that you are
>>capable off qualifying your statements. One possible interpretation
>>is that you are intentionally trying to deceive.

>If you wish to get personal ...
>
>another is that you have a vested interest in the exponential increase
>in diagnosis of ADHD in schoolchildren ..and will stop at nothing to
>prevent rational discussion of the facts.

If you want to get personal--I exclude ADHD more often than I diagnose
it.

A RATIONALE discussion of the facts includes all the facts--one of
which being that ritalin is not equivalent to cocaine. Presenting it
as if it is, is far from rational
You fool yourself if you imagine what you or others
say about others is their problem, rather than your
problem.

You can trash people all you want, but your trashing
them isn't, in itself, a problem for them.
Linda Gore 08/06/03

http://home.gwi.net/~mdmpsyd/index.htm

"Happy Dog" <[email protected]> wrote
> > Think of ritalin as slow-acting cocaine.

> Why stop at cocaine? Why not equate it with
> crack? And then, tell us what the problem with it is? Is morphine a bad
> drug? Is heroin?

There are people who equate cocaine with crack. I guess you want
to argue that cocaine, crack, morphine, heroin, etc. are all good
drugs. I suggest you post your argument on alt.politics.libertarian.

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 17:39:51 GMT, [email protected] (PF Riley)
wrote:

>On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 14:33:32 +0100, jake <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 06:23:18 -0400, "Happy Dog"
>><[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>>"Roger Schlafly" <[email protected]> wrote in

>>>and
>>>pharmacokinetics

>>>No Roger, I just think of you as slow. You don't have a clue, as usual,
>>>what you're talking about. Why stop at cocaine? Why not equate it with
>>>crack? And then, tell us what the problem with it is? Is morphine a bad
>>>drug?

>>> Is heroin?

>>of course..
>>what planet do you live on?

>So you think heroin and morphine are bad drugs?

morphine addiction is rare and tends to be confined to doctors and
nurses..
heroin on the other hand..devastates whole communities..
I have lost track of the number of peole I hve known whose lives and
families were trashed by it..

been to too many funerals..sorry

What's about codeine
>and dextromethorphan? Do you ever cough or have pain?

sure..and I use codeine as infrequently as possible

>Cocaine is a very useful topical anesthetic.

as is morphine and heroin in terminal cancer cases ..for example..

that something is a necessary evil does not make it less evil..

wrote:

>So you think heroin and morphine are bad drugs? What's about codeine
>and dextromethorphan? Do you ever cough or have pain?
>
>Cocaine is a very useful topical anesthetic.

Isn't it the active ingredient in many corneal anesthetics?

You fool yourself if you imagine what you or others
say about others is their problem, rather than your
problem.

You can trash people all you want, but your trashing
them isn't, in itself, a problem for them.
Linda Gore 08/06/03

http://home.gwi.net/~mdmpsyd/index.htm

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 13:48:16 -0400, Mark D Morin
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 17:57:27 +0100, jake <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 12:15:25 -0400, Mark D Morin
>><[email protected]> wrote:

>>>What I understand is that when you post these kinds of statements
>>>without any type of qualifications, a certain picture is drawn. You
>>>are smart enough to know that and you have demonstrated that you are
>>>capable off qualifying your statements. One possible interpretation
>>>is that you are intentionally trying to deceive.

>>If you wish to get personal ...
>>
>>another is that you have a vested interest in the exponential increase
>>in diagnosis of ADHD in schoolchildren ..and will stop at nothing to
>>prevent rational discussion of the facts.

>If you want to get personal--I exclude ADHD more often than I diagnose
>it.

Pleased to hear it..genuine cases are rare

>A RATIONALE discussion of the facts includes all the facts--one of
>which being that ritalin is not equivalent to cocaine.

what were you saying about qualifying?

In sufficient quantity the effect is virtually identical in effect..
as the DEA say it is..

>Presenting it
>as if it is, is far from rational

Go tell them that in the ER rooms..

--
"Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an
invisible government owing no allegiance and

- Theodore Roosevelt, 19 April 1906

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 19:19:17 +0100, jake <[email protected]> wrote:

>Go tell them that in the ER rooms..

and just how many ER reports are we talking about?

You fool yourself if you imagine what you or others
say about others is their problem, rather than your
problem.

You can trash people all you want, but your trashing
them isn't, in itself, a problem for them.
Linda Gore 08/06/03

http://home.gwi.net/~mdmpsyd/index.htm

In article <[email protected]>,
Roger Schlafly <[email protected]> wrote:
>"Happy Dog" <[email protected]> wrote
>> > Think of ritalin as slow-acting cocaine.

>> Why stop at cocaine? Why not equate it with
>> crack? And then, tell us what the problem with it is? Is morphine a bad
>> drug? Is heroin?

>There are people who equate cocaine with crack.

Well, they both are cocaine, actually -- crack has just undergone some
extra processing. However, while it may be that "there are people"
who do this, HD was asking what YOU believe. As usual, you are
weaseling away from making answers to questions.

>I guess you want to argue that cocaine, crack, morphine, heroin,
>etc. are all good drugs.

Ah, the Schlafly mind-reading trick swings into action again.
And screws up, as usual.

-- David Wright :: alphabeta at prodigy.net
were standing on my shoulders." (Hal Abelson, MIT)

"F Troop" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> http://www.addictionwithdrawal.com/ritalin.htm
>
> Ritalin Withdrawal
>
> Ritalin (methylphenidate) is a central nervous system stimulant, similar

> amphetamines in the nature and duration of its effects. It is believed

that
> it works by activating the brain stem arousal system and cortex.
> Pharmacologically, it works on the neurotransmitter dopamine, and in that
> respect resembles the stimulant characteristics of cocaine. When taken in
> accordance with usual prescription instructions, it would be classified as
> having mild to moderate stimulant properties, but when snorted or injected
> it has a strong stimulant effect.

IOW, those who *abuse* the medication run into trouble...those of us who
*take as directed* do not...

Funny thing is--that is true of *any* medication, whether prescription or
over-the-counter....

> Ritalin is an addictive drug and mimics the action of chemicals your brain
> produces to send messages of pleasure to your brain's reward center.

Ritalin
> produces an artificial feeling of pleasure. Ritalin produces its

pleasurable
> effects by chemically acting like certain normal brain messenger

chemicals,
> which produce positive feelings in response to signals from the brain.
>
> The result is an addiction to Ritalin because the individual can depend on
> the immediate, fast, predictable high Ritalin provides.

IOW, those who *abuse* the medication run into trouble...those of us who
*take as directed* do not...

My question....how is it that we who take it as directed for our ADHD
*forget* to take the medication we are supposedly "addicted" to? It happens
more often than not.

Buny

Jeff wrote:
> "jake" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 09:07:21 GMT, [email protected] (PF Riley)
>>wrote:

> and

>>>Or think of it as a slow-acting methamphetamine derivative, since
>>>that's what it is, idiot.

>>ever taken cocaine or meths ?
>>
>>Most drugs categorized as having addictive properties effect the
>>release or re-uptake of the neurotransmitters Dopamine (DA) and/or
>>Norephinephrine (NE). Drugs in this category include cocaine, and the
>>amphetamine class of stimulants (i.e.; benzedrine and the ever
>>addictive methylphenidate [ritalin]).

> Yet methylphenidate, when taken as prescribed, is not addicting.
>
> There is more to a drugs actions than just receptors and neuromodulators.

As the following information indicates:

"New Research Helps Explain Ritalin's Low Abuse Potential When Taken as
Prescribed" http://www.nida.nih.gov/MedAdv/98/MA-929.html .

Nancy
Unique, like everyone else
[Posting from ASAD]

"nknisley" <[email protected]> wrote

the
> "New Research Helps Explain Ritalin's Low Abuse Potential When Taken as
> Prescribed" http://www.nida.nih.gov/MedAdv/98/MA-929.html .

A 1998 press release -- not really new anymore. It reports that ritalin (in
pill form) has its peak effect on the brain 60 minutes later. Intravenous
ritalin and (snorted?) cocaine are much quicker. That's all.

The headline is a little misleading. The authors don't consider *any*
drug consumption to be abuse if the drug is taken as prescribed.

"Roger Schlafly" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "PF Riley" <[email protected]> wrote
> > This pronouncement that methylphenidate and cocaine are "nearly
> > identical" is another example of garbage spread about by anti-ADHD
> > [usual ad hominem attack snipped]

> This Slate article explains the similarity:
>
> Both cocaine and methylphenidate, the generic name for Ritalin, are
> stimulants that target the dopamine system, which helps control the

brain's
> functioning during pleasurable experiences. The two drugs block the

ability
> of neurons to reabsorb dopamine, thus flooding the brain with a surplus of
> the joy-inducing neurotransmitter. According to animal studies, Ritalin

and
> cocaine act so much alike that they even compete for the same binding

sites
> on neurons.
> http://slate.msn.com/id/2076413/
>
> If you are willing to pay $12, you can read this JAMA article:
>
> Pay Attention: Ritalin Acts Much Like Cocaine
> Vastag JAMA.2001; 286: 905-906.
> http://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/short/286/8/905

This is true. In addition, both drugs improve the ability of the person to
concentrate. Hence, giving methylphenidate for kids with ADHD. However, the
time that it takes methylphenidate when taken as prescribed and cocaine when
inhaled or injected are very different, resulting in very different effects
of the two drugs. This makes the drugs very different.

Jeff

>Subject: Re: Drug Enforcement Agency: Methylphenidate (Ritalin)
>From: Peter Bowditch [email protected]
>Date: 9/20/2003 2:12 AM Pacific Standard Time
>
>[email protected] (Hawki63) wrote:
>
>>>Subject: Re: Drug Enforcement Agency: Methylphenidate (Ritalin)
>>>From: [email protected] (Jan)
>>>Date: 9/19/2003 8:59 PM Pacific Daylight Time
>>>

>>>No there isn't any new evidence, that's the debunkers twist. They added the
>>>untreated. There is MUCH evidence that those on Ritalin will move on to
>>>stronger drugs, and become addicted.
>>>

>>no Janny ...it was all there in the article YOU posted....

>Isn't it amazing that Jan demands that I take full responsibility for
>book reviews published on Amazon.com and written by people who are not
>me, but won't even read the stuff she posts verbatim herself?

It is typical of you to answer a post that is a lie.

Once again the debunkers added the words not treated, or untreated, when in
fact it said neither.

<snip>

>>go read it ......it saiddd those NOT TREATED

No it did not.

Jan

>Subject: Re: Drug Enforcement Agency: Methylphenidate (Ritalin)
>From: [email protected] (Mark Probert)
>Date: 9/20/2003 7:11 AM Pacific Daylight Time

>You did not read it, nitwit. It does NOT mention Ritalin.

yes but it mentioned opiates and narcotics....Janny doesn't know that Ritalin
isn't in one of those classifications..

sad that she can lecture,,copy,,past when she knows sooooo little about the
topic...any topic....only HER preconceived notionns...asif anyone cared..

sad that
hawki

>Subject: Re: Drug Enforcement Agency: Methylphenidate (Ritalin)
>From: "SumBuny" [email protected]
>Date: 9/20/2003 1:02 PM Pacific Standard Time
>

>"F Troop" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> http://www.addictionwithdrawal.com/ritalin.htm
>>
>> Ritalin Withdrawal
>>
>> Ritalin (methylphenidate) is a central nervous system stimulant, similar

>> amphetamines in the nature and duration of its effects. It is believed

>that
>> it works by activating the brain stem arousal system and cortex.
>> Pharmacologically, it works on the neurotransmitter dopamine, and in that
>> respect resembles the stimulant characteristics of cocaine. When taken in
>> accordance with usual prescription instructions, it would be classified as
>> having mild to moderate stimulant properties, but when snorted or injected
>> it has a strong stimulant effect.

>IOW, those who *abuse* the medication run into trouble...those of us who
>*take as directed* do not...

Trouble is IT IS BEING ABUSED!!!

Secondly it is given to children who brains aren't developed yet, don't mess
with mothers nature.

Thirdly your statement is false. Those who do take it as directed do have
problems.

>Funny thing is--that is true of *any* medication, whether prescription or
>over-the-counter....

Sorry, this is a stupid skeptic trick. Sounds childish.

Example:

A child is caught smoking. Oh but he can say, well I wasn't drinking and it's
just as bad. Does that excuse his smoking??

I thik not.

> Ritalin is an addictive drug and mimics the action of chemicals your brain
>> produces to send messages of pleasure to your brain's reward center.

>Ritalin
>> produces an artificial feeling of pleasure. Ritalin produces its

>pleasurable effects by chemically acting like certain normal brain messenger
>chemicals,
>> which produce positive feelings in response to signals from the brain.

> The result is an addiction to Ritalin because the individual can depend on
>> the immediate, fast, predictable high Ritalin provides.

>IOW, those who *abuse* the medication run into trouble...those of us who
>*take as directed* do not...

No that's an excuse.

>My question....how is it that we who take it as directed for our ADHD
>*forget* to take the medication we are supposedly "addicted" to? It happens
>more often than not.
>
>Buny

And what happens, when you don't take it??

Jan

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 16:24:43 -0400, Mark D Morin
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 19:19:17 +0100, jake <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>Go tell them that in the ER rooms..

>and just how many ER reports are we talking about?

Too many

http://i2i.org/Publications/Op-Eds/HealthCare/ritalin.htm

According to Drug Abuse Warning Network (DAWN), the skyrocketing use
of Ritalin represents the greatest increase in drugs associated with
abuse, and causes the highest number of suicides and emergency room
admissions.

October 20, 1999

Too Much Ritalin
By Patti Johnson

The Ritalin phenomenon caught my attention in 1994.As I walked with
some children in a parade, one six-year-old boy intrigued me. He was
precocious, energetic and a delightful companion. When I dropped him
off at his home, I mentioned these traits to his mother. She startled
me when she replied, “ That’s not what his teacher says. She told me
he has ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder) and needs to be
put on Ritalin.” I urged the mother to have her son tested before
drugging him. He was so bright, and his level of energy seemed normal
for a little boy. What if he just needed a more challenging curriculum
or a different learning environment? Now that I know much more about
Ritalin, I feel even more strongly that all options should be explored
before resorting to Ritalin.

In 1991, the federal Department of Education said schools could get
hundreds of dollars in special education grant money each year for
every child diagnosed with ADHD. Since then ADHD diagnosis shot up an
average of 21% a year. These data suggest a link between money and
Ritilan use.

According to the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA), the U.S. buys
and uses 90% of the world’s supply of Ritalin. Approximately 4 million
U.S. children are on Ritalin. Ten to 12% of U.S. boys are being
treated with Ritalin. No other nation is following our example. In
fact, Sweden banned methylphenidate (Ritalin) in 1968 after reports of
widespread abuse.

Ritalin is highly sought after by the drug-abusing population.
According to Drug Abuse Warning Network (DAWN), the skyrocketing use
of Ritalin represents the greatest increase in drugs associated with
abuse, and causes the highest number of suicides and emergency room
admissions.

Ritalin is classified as a schedule II, or most addictive drug, on par
with cocaine, morphine, PCP and metamphetamines. The DEA has noted
serious complications associated with Ritalin, including suicide,
psychotic episodes and violent behavior. According to Washington Times
[Insight magazine], “the common link in the recent phenomenon of high
school shootings may be psychotropic drugs like Ritalin.” The
International Journal of Addictions lists over 100 adverse reactions
to Ritalin—paranoid psychosis, terror and paranoid delusions among
them.

Ritalin can have other serious side effects including disorientation
of the central nervous system. It is an amphetamine, capable of
inducing sudden cardiac arrest and death. Twelve year old Stephanie
Hall of Canton, Ohio died the day after her Ritalin dose was
increased.

The medical community has expressed alarm over the widespread use of
psychotropic drugs for children. Dr. Fred Baughman Jr., pediatric
neurologist, said of psychiatrists, “They have proven several times
over that chronic Ritalin/amphetamine exposure they advocate for
millions of children causes brain atrophy (shrinkage).” The National
Institute of Health (NIH) reported, “We do not have an independent
valid test for ADHD, and there are no data to indicate that ADHD is
due to brain malfunction. Further research to establish the validity
of the disorder continues to be a problem.” The NIH also reported that
Ritalin and other stimulant drugs result in “little improvement in
academic or social skills,” and they recommend research into
alternatives such as change in diet or biofeedback.

If we care about children’s health, we owe it to them to explore
healthful ways to improve their classroom performance and deportment.
I would start with an observation:

In the 1950s we did not have millions of children unable to
concentrate in the classroom. What has changed? First, the classroom
climate. The traditional classroom was expected to be a quiet,
well-ordered environment. Desks were arranged so that all students
could make eye contact with the teacher, see the demonstrations and
read instructions. Students were not permitted to distract or disrupt
others. The teacher was presumed to know more than the children, and
so gave direct, group instruction, guiding students step by step in
learning new skills, modeling standard English grammar and syntax in
the process. Elementary students had a short morning recess, a
half-hour recess after lunch and a short afternoon recess.

Progressive educators undermined this approach. Desks are arranged in
groups. Students cannot see the teacher and so students distract one
another. The failed “Whole Language” method has replaced phonics.
Children are passed on to the next grade without learning to read.
Discipline is sometimes lax and supervision is casual. Some schools
have abolished recess altogether.

When adults are faced with tasks such as balancing the checkbook or
figuring our income tax, we tend to seek out a quiet place where we
“can hear ourselves think.” Children are more sensitive to stimuli
than adults, more easily distracted. Insisting that they fend for
themselves in a noisy, chaotic, confusing, classroom can do them a
disservice.

Many of those children go home to empty houses where they watch
television and snack on chemically-altered, heavily-sugared,
artificially- flavored junk food. Wouldn’t it make sense to provide
more attention, more supervision, more exercise, and more nutritious
foods before prescribing potentially harmful psychotropic drugs to
render children compliant?

It is not my intention to judge parents, counselors, and doctors, or
to dismiss the genuinely hard cases. My only motivation is to provide
information that could help schools and parents make sound decisions
about the health and welfare of their children.

>You fool yourself if you imagine what you or others
>say about others is their problem, rather than your
>problem.
>
>You can trash people all you want, but your trashing
>them isn't, in itself, a problem for them.
> Linda Gore 08/06/03
>
>http://home.gwi.net/~mdmpsyd/index.htm

>Subject: Re: Drug Enforcement Agency: Methylphenidate (Ritalin)
>From: [email protected] (PF Riley)
>Date: 9/20/2003 1:06 AM Pacific Standard Time
>
>On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 06:10:32 +0100, jake <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 04:43:54 GMT, [email protected] (PF Riley)
>>wrote:

>>>Roger is a complete idiot and most anything he says is completely
>>>wrong.
>>>
>>>Jake has demonstrated he is a complete idiot too.
>>>
>>>This pronouncement that methylphenidate and cocaine are "nearly
>>>identical" is another example of garbage spread about by anti-ADHD
>>>morons who do nothing but regurgitate nonsense they are fed by other
>>>morons whom they worship (e.g. Phyllis Schlafly) without questioning
>>>the motives and/or resources and/or credibility of said other morons.
>>>The cycle then continues unabated, as has the oft repeated ********
>>>that MMR contains thimerosal.
>>>
>>>Roger and Jake, please look:
>>>
>>>http://www.biopsychiatry.com/methamphetamine/index.html
>>>http://www.biopsychiatry.com/mdma/index.html
>>>http://www.biopsychiatry.com/methylphenidate/index.html
>>>http://www.biopsychiatry.com/cocaine/index.html
>>>
>>>Please note the fundamental structure of methamphetamine and its
>>>derivates MDMA and methylphenidate. Please explain how these
>>>relatively small secondary amines are "nearly identical" to cocaine, a
>>>large tertiary amine with a complex double ring.
>>>
>>>Or, check this page out, for, in the first frame, a good drawing of
>>>amphetamine, a primary amine, and cocaine, a tertiary amine. Nearly
>>>identical, huh?
>>>
>>>http://www.chem.uic.edu/web1/234/CH22-23HO.pdf

>>the issue is not whether ritalin or cocaine have an identical
>>molecular structure..obviously if they did they would be the same.
>>the*effects* are nearly identical
>>
>>what part of this do you not understand?

>The part where you said "[R]italin is nearly identical with [sic]
>cocaine..."
>
>PF

Evidently you don't understand truth.

Ritalin 'Cocaine Properties' May Lead To Later Drug Abuse

Ritalin is More Potent Than Cocaine

Schedule ll

These medicines have therapeutic uses and have the highest abuse and dependence
potential for drugs with medicinal purposes. Examples include Morphine,
Demerol, Speed, Opium, Cocaine and Ritalin. A written prescription is required
and refills are not allowed.

US: Pay Attention - Ritalin Acts Much Like Cocaine

http://www.rense.com/general13/kidsf.htm

A recent study reveals that the drug being prescribed to tens of millions of
school-age children for a scientifically unproved mental disorder is more
potent than cocaine.

Thirty years ago the World Health Organization (WHO) concluded that Ritalin was
pharmacologically similar to cocaine in the pattern of abuse it fostered and
cited it as a Schedule II drug - the most addictive in medical use. The
Department of Justice also cited Ritalin as a Schedule II drug under the
Controlled Substances Act, and the Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) warned that
"Ritalin substitutes for cocaine and d-amphetamine in a number of behavioral
paradigms."

Despite decades of official warnings and supporting research confirming the
similarities of methylphenidate (Ritalin) and cocaine, tens of millions of
children in the United States have been prescribed this psychotropic drug for a
widely accepted yet scientifically unproved mental condition:
attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). Now a recently concluded study
at the Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) not only confirms the similarities
of cocaine and Ritalin, but finds that Ritalin is more potent than cocaine in
its effect on the dopamine system, which many doctors believe is one of the
areas of the brain most affected by drugs such as Ritalin and cocaine.

The outcome of this research was so surprising that team leader Nora Volkow, a
psychiatrist who is associate laboratory director for life sciences at BNL,
told the media that she and the team were "shocked as hell" at the results.
"The data," explains Volkow, "clearly show that the notion that Ritalin is a
weak stimulant is completely incorrect."

This revelation should be of no surprise to the medical and psychiatric
communities, given the already documented warnings about methylphenidate by
federal law-enforcement agencies and international organizations, but it is
noteworthy on one level. Volkow's newly released research reinforces what
critics long have known - that the "medication" being prescribed for ADHD is
not merely similar to cocaine but is in fact more potent. And the results raise
further questions about the validity and repercussions of having an entire
generation of children diagnosed with a "mental disorder" or "brain disease"
which to date has no basis in physical science.

Volkow's findings, published in the Journal of Neuroscience and reported in the
Journal of the American Medical Association, may act as a wake-up call to
parents, educators and lawmakers who have yet to address the question of
whether ADHD is a real physical, medical or neurological disease that can be
scientifically confirmed or is even confirmable. Because the ADHD diagnosis is
the No. 1 reason for drugging school-age children, and Volkow's research
reconfirms that Ritalin isn't just kid stuff, parents may want to re-evaluate
their child's treatment. The numbers alone are a telling sign of where the push
to medicate is going.

According to the DEA, the number of prescriptions written for Ritalin since
1991 has increased by a factor of five (2.2 million) and about 80 percent of
the 11 million prescriptions written for Ritalin are to "treat" ADHD. This
means that nearly 9 million children have been prescribed the cocainelike
"medication."

Furthermore, according to a study published last February in the Journal of the
American Medical Association, "Trends in the Prescribing of Psychotropic
Medications to Preschoolers," psychotropic medications have tripled in
preschoolers ages 2 to 4 during a five-year period. More disturbing, say
critics, given Volkow's recent revelations, is that during the last 15 years
the use of Ritalin increased by 311 percent for those ages 15 to 19 and 170
percent for those ages 5 to 14.

The most recent figures available reveal that in 1998 there were approximately
46 million children in kindergarten through grade 12. Twenty percent - one of
every five children in school - have been doped with the mind-altering drug.

This can be good news only for investors in the Swiss-based pharmaceutical
company Novartis, which makes Ritalin. For instance, if the number of children
taking the drug increased fivefold, so did the drug company's resultant profits
and (presumably) stock value. In a June 28, 1999, article, "Doping Kids,"
Insight estimated that Novartis generated an increase in its stock-market value
of $1,236 per child prescribed Ritalin. Based on these evaluations, the drug
company would have enjoyed an increased stock-market value of approximately $10
billion or more since 1991.

In fact, the number of children being prescribed the cocainelike drug is rising
at such a rate that, while good for investors, if ADHD were based on science
and were a communicable disease, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
would consider it a major medical epidemic among America's youth. In the
meantime, prescriptions continue to increase even as researchers continue to
focus on the effect of psychotropic drugs such as Ritalin rather than on how
scientifically to verify or validate the diagnosis. And critics of this mass
drugging have become convinced that is no accident.

Take neurologist Fred Baughman for example, who tells Insight, "Yes, they have
proved and we've known for decades that Ritalin alters/damages/changes the
brain. But with no evidence that ADHD is a disease we also know that these
children are normal. All this research [from Volkow at BNL] says to me is that
9 million children diagnosed as having ADHD are being damaged by Ritalin just
as with cocaine and every other psychotropic drug."

"The point," explains Baughman, "is that normal children are being drugged
exactly like the Cali and Medellín cartels, but under the guise of medication
to help and with all in the medical community being knowing participants. She
[Volkow] found something very alarming about Ritalin and at the same time is
writing like ADHD is a proven thing - that ADHD is a real disease. It just
isn't so. It's pure propaganda and there never has been proof of a specific
chemical [or] physical abnormality in children diagnosed with the alleged ADHD.
None."

Renay Tanner, an expert in human rights and psychiatry and a doctoral candidate
in sociomedical sciences at Columbia University, tells Insight, "Volkow isn't
saying anything new. She's just looked at the issue with a different technique.
The important thing to remember is that no child ever has died from ADHD, yet a
number of children have died from the 'treatment,' not to mention the brain
damage, stunted growth and suicidal feelings they experience. One has to ask
why children are being targeted for the myth of the chemical imbalance when no
one can show that an alleged sufferer has a chemical imbalance and no one -
certainly not the medical community - even knows what such a chemical imbalance
might be."

Tanner continues: "The brain is too complex and our understanding of it is too
minimal to be giving children these drugs. We know the drugs cause harm to the
brain but have yet to find any real evidence that they are helpful. Sure, the
drugs may shut them up, and I suppose that's good for the parents and teachers,
but is it good for the children? I strongly believe that the federal government
should remove the financial incentives from school districts as a kind of
reward for the number of children put on these drugs. After all, why does the
government do this? Is it good intentions gone bad or social policy with
unintended consequences? At the most, Volkow' s research is excellent evidence
that children should not be given Ritalin. One has to ask why this research
wasn't done before millions of children were put on a mind-altering drug."

Despite Volkow's revelations about Ritalin's potency, critics don't see changes
in the status quo anytime soon. Beverly Eakman, founder of the National
Education Consortium, a nonprofit corporation specializing in education law,
and the author of Cloning of the American Mind, tells Insight, "The agenda is
to dope as many kids as possible because it makes them more suggestible - more
open to doing what normally they wouldn't do."

According to Eakman, "These drugs make children more manageable, not
necessarily better. ADHD is a phenomenon, not a 'brain disease.' It is
culture-caused, and what we need to focus on is that we are manufacturing drugs
for diseases that don't exist. Because the diagnosis of ADHD is fraudulent, it
doesn't matter whether a drug 'works.' You've got doctors being encouraged to
prescribe these drugs whenever a complaint from a patient is too difficult or
costly to diagnose. Why aren't people up in arms about the fact that children
are being forced to take a drug that is stronger than cocaine for a disease
that is yet to be proven?"

Critics of the ADHD diagnosis have been asking this question for years, but the
psychiatric community appears to have turned more and more to medicating. A
closer look at what leaders in psychiatry are saying may prove helpful. In
January, for example, National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) Director Steve
Hyman reported at the NIMH Advisory Council meeting that "we can make correct
clinical diagnoses if the right kind of evaluation is available to children.
When proper diagnosis is made, methylphenidate/Ritalin can be safe and
effective." Hyman warned: "We ignore mood disorders in children at our peril.
Just because a child is in their seat doesn't mean they are okay."

Critics suggest that it also doesn't mean that they aren't okay, and that
Hyman's remarks only confirm that psychiatric diagnosis is subjective - that
diagnosis of mental health depends upon who is looking.

http://www.insightmag.com/archive/200110015.shtml

Jan

>Subject: Re: Drug Enforcement Agency: Methylphenidate (Ritalin)
>From: Mark D Morin [email protected]
>Date: 9/20/2003 12:24 PM Pacific Standard Time
>
>On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 19:19:17 +0100, jake <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>Go tell them that in the ER rooms..

>and just how many ER reports are we talking about?

Already been posted.

In 1990, 900,000 American kids were on Ritalin. Today some estimate the total
number of children on Ritalin has increased to 4 - 5 million or more per year
America now uses 90% of the world's Ritalin - more than five times the rest of
the world combined.
Emergency room visits by children ages 10-14 involving Ritalin intoxication
have now reached the same level as those for cocaine which indicates escalating
abuse of this highly addictive drug.
80% of children on Ritalin are boys.

A growing number of youngsters taking the drug Ritalin® (methylphenidate)
experience overdose, researchers report. The study looked at the frequency of
Ritalin overdose cases reported to a regional poison control center in Detroit.
Children ages 6 to 9 years were at the greatest risk of overdose, compared with
other age groups. Over a two-year period, 289 cases were reported. Of these,
31% developed symptoms. Most common adverse effects included tachycardia,
agitation and lethargy. Most cases were due to parents or caregivers
unintentionally giving patients excessive amounts of the drug.

There has been a six-fold increase in emergency room visits associated to
Ritalin abuse over the past decade, according to the Drug Abuse Warning
Network, which tracks drug abuse data for federal health authorities. There
were 271 Ritalin-related emergency room visits in 1990 and 1,478 visits in
2001.

Jan

>Subject: Re: Drug Enforcement Agency: Methylphenidate (Ritalin)
>From: nknisley [email protected]
>Date: 9/20/2003 1:06 PM Pacific Standard Time
>
>Jeff wrote:
>> "jake" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>> and

>>>ever taken cocaine or meths ?
>>>
>>>Most drugs categorized as having addictive properties effect the
>>>release or re-uptake of the neurotransmitters Dopamine (DA) and/or
>>>Norephinephrine (NE). Drugs in this category include cocaine, and the
>>>amphetamine class of stimulants (i.e.; benzedrine and the ever
>>>addictive methylphenidate [ritalin]).

>> Yet methylphenidate, when taken as prescribed, is not addicting.
>>
>> There is more to a drugs actions than just receptors and neuromodulators.
>>

>As the following information indicates:
>
>"New Research Helps Explain Ritalin's Low Abuse Potential When Taken as
>Prescribed" http://www.nida.nih.gov/MedAdv/98/MA-929.html .

American Journal of Psychiatry

NIDA, the National Institute of Mental Health,

NIH Office of Medical Applications of Research

Nuff said.

Jan

[email protected] (Jan) wrote:

>A recent study reveals that the drug being prescribed to tens of millions of
>school-age children for a scientifically unproved mental disorder is more
>potent than cocaine.

First it was 4 to 5 million kids (an amount of Ritalin which far
exceeds world production) and now it's "tens of millions".

I am running a book on how soon it becomes billions.

By the way - the "4 to 5 million" is actually the number of
prescriptions written. As a new one is required each month this means
about 400,000 users. But what do facts have to do with anything?

--
Peter Bowditch
The Green Light http://www.ratbags.com/greenlight
To email me use my first name only at ratbags.com

>Subject: Re: Drug Enforcement Agency: Methylphenidate (Ritalin)
>From: jake [email protected]
>Date: 9/20/2003 3:11 PM Pacific Standard Time
>
>On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 16:24:43 -0400, Mark D Morin
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 19:19:17 +0100, jake <[email protected]> wrote:
>>

>>>Go tell them that in the ER rooms..

>>and just how many ER reports are we talking about?

>Too many
>
>http://i2i.org/Publications/Op-Eds/HealthCare/ritalin.htm

Thank You. That sure shoots a huge hole in Joe Parson's FAQ.

Jan