Feedback on Jan's gut...

limerickman said:
Alibat - I have nothing against people who have never raced, posting their views.
Nothing whatsoever.

And people who have never raced could well be good at "reading" the sport and contributing sensible posts.

Musette is neither good at "reading" tactics or strategy.
In fact she isn't even a cycling fan.
she?

now i'm even more turned on

LA no longer considers JU his pick for the Tour.

"Armstrong tipped his former team mate Paolo Savoldelli to win the Giro d'Italia and feels the Italian also has the right credentials to win the Tour de France.... "I originally picked (German Jan) Ullrich to win the Tour de France but he seems to be behind again." If he's only five kilograms overweight that's pretty good for him but I don't understand him, he's so much to gain." "I don't know if he loves the bike or not but he could be the biggest sporting star in Germany.""

musette said:

"Armstrong tipped his former team mate Paolo Savoldelli to win the Giro d'Italia and feels the Italian also has the right credentials to win the Tour de France.... "I originally picked (German Jan) Ullrich to win the Tour de France but he seems to be behind again." If he's only five kilograms overweight that's pretty good for him but I don't understand him, he's so much to gain." "I don't know if he loves the bike or not but he could be the biggest sporting star in Germany.""

Mr Armstrong obviously doesn't keep tabs on who is voted the most popular Germans sportsman, year on year.

Ullrich polls better than Michael Schumacher.

limerickman said:
Mr Armstrong obviously doesn't keep tabs on who is voted the most popular Germans sportsman, year on year.

Ullrich polls better than Michael Schumacher.
Correct, but to be honest, i don't really care who Armstrong is tipping or not...

cyclingheroes said:
Correct, but to be honest, i don't really care who Armstrong is tipping or not...

None of us really care what Armstrong thinks or says, CH.

musette said:

Since LA raced against Jan and Basso and Salvodelli, I think he is one of the most informed people who can predict. I think more importantly this says that Salvodelli may ride the Tour and be team leader. It is likely he will not podium if the mountains leave him losing 1-2 minutes against Rujano, Simoni, and Cunego.

Danielson may end up being the number one rider for the Giro, this may be more head games or it may be the real deal. The tourdefrance would be ideal for Salvodelli, but he is Italian and wants to defend the jersey. We'll see.

bobke said:
Since LA raced against Jan and Basso and Salvodelli, I think he is one of the most informed people who can predict. I think more importantly this says that Salvodelli may ride the Tour and be team leader. It is likely he will not podium if the mountains leave him losing 1-2 minutes against Rujano, Simoni, and Cunego.

Danielson may end up being the number one rider for the Giro, this may be more head games or it may be the real deal. The tourdefrance would be ideal for Salvodelli, but he is Italian and wants to defend the jersey. We'll see.

i think that you may be on to something here.

Given the profile of the 2006 Giro - I don't expect Savoldelli to retain his Giro title (much as I respect his ability as a rider).
I think that the climbs are too formidable and when the likes of Parra, Rujano
and Basso get blasting, I don't think that Savoldelli will be able to prevent them from going.

And as for Danielson - this year's Giro is testing ground for him. He won't figure in the shakeup. He's 25 - and has ability, but we're not talking Fignon/Ullrich levels of ability in the case of Danielson.

I do think that the TDF is a more realistic prospect for Savoldelli for overall GC.

Il Falco seems to be in generally better form than last year (at least during the first week of the race, when compared with the first week of last year). Il Falco has also lost weight, and actually has team members for climbing support this year. We should wait until the first major mountains to see whether Il Falco's climbing has improved because of the weight loss.

Here are comparison stats on DC Giro climbers, based on the DC sponsor website. The Il Falco reported weight is before his weight loss:

Height: 5'11"
Reported Weight: 158 pounds

Compare this to -- Rubiera: Height 5'11", Weight 152 pounds; Danielson 5'8", 129 pounds (he reported at the start of the Giro, he had gone down to 59 kilos); Beltran 5'10.5", 132 pounds.

Hey - can I suggest that if you're intent on posting only DC-centric postings throughout threads, can you open a specific DC thread and desist from posting DC-centric posts on Giro D'Italia thread, Feedback on Jans Gut thread and other threads throughout the Grand Tours - Giro - Tour de France - Vuelta a Espana
categories ?

Speaking of Jan's gut... On the EuroSport coverage today there is a nice shot of big Jan on the drops riding on the front of the peleton ! His gut looks fine... he is not super skinny but looks good.... nice to seem him driving the peleton... another nice shot of him and Basso having a chat......

whiteboytrash said:
Speaking of Jan's gut... On the EuroSport coverage today there is a nice shot of big Jan on the drops riding on the front of the peleton ! His gut looks fine... he is not super skinny but looks good.... nice to seem him driving the peleton... another nice shot of him and Basso having a chat......
Uh, no he was not driving the peloton.
He IS fat.
And if he and Basso were chatting I would like to know what language.
Jan and Ivan barely speak English and neither speaks the other's language.
Here's Jan sweatin wih the oldies:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2...id=/photos/2006/giro06/giro064/Ulrichengroupe

Cyclingnews reports Jan has been working with a new exercise expert:
http://www.rugbyfootball.com/gallery1/richard_simmons_2.jpg

Its ok... you stick to your text updates and I'll stick my live coverage.... I know it hurts but work through it... be brave and tough.. the knife cuts deep.... Ivan doesn't speak English ? Hmmmmm you obviously saw overcoming filmed in 2004 and haven't heard him speak on your text updates... he has been attending tutoring for the last two years and his English is excellent... in fact he mentions it in this months ProCycling magazine and even uses the phrase: "they were taking the mickey out of my time trialing"..... as for Jan's english it is also very good..... its so hard being this good but I have to do it. :p

Maybe its hard for Americans to understand that Europeans find it easy to speak multiple languages...
:p

bobke said:
Uh, no he was not driving the peloton.
He IS fat.
And if he and Basso were chatting I would like to know what language.
Jan and Ivan barely speak English and neither speaks the other's language.
Here's Jan sweatin wih the oldies:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2006/giro06/index.php?id=/photos/2006/giro06/giro064/Ulrichengroupe

Cyclingnews reports Jan has been working with a new exercise expert:
http://www.rugbyfootball.com/gallery1/richard_simmons_2.jpg

limerickman said:
i think that you may be on to something here.

Given the profile of the 2006 Giro - I don't expect Savoldelli to retain his Giro title (much as I respect his ability as a rider).
I think that the climbs are too formidable and when the likes of Parra, Rujano
and Basso get blasting, I don't think that Savoldelli will be able to prevent them from going.

And as for Danielson - this year's Giro is testing ground for him. He won't figure in the shakeup. He's 25 - and has ability, but we're not talking Fignon/Ullrich levels of ability in the case of Danielson.

I do think that the TDF is a more realistic prospect for Savoldelli for overall GC.

Will Rujano lose too much time in the TTT to be a GC threat?

and I reckon Jan's gut will be gone by the tour but can't see him figuring

whiteboytrash said:
I have no prblems withany of the things you have stated about Jan talking to Basso or driving the peloton other than I would like to see the pics. I doubt seriously Jan was at the front driving the peloton. But if you provide the pic thats fine.
Jan's English is notoriously bad but maybe too much is made of that and he's more shy. If Ivan is better at English when at the beginning of Overcoming he was monosyllabic thats gret too. I just found the idea of those two chatting unlikely because Ivan probably was riding with his mouth closes (as pictures showed him as he went up the cobbled climb on stage three with everyone else gasping) and Jan probably panting as my other pic showed.

I can't show you pics because its on TV.... ! :) Although stills are great they really don't tell you the whole story of 6 hours of cycling....

I'll cut it to DVD and send to you if you would like.....

Ivan English is very good... he now speaks Italian, Spanish and English.... Jan English is good and I've heard him speak it in interviews... he even speaks French now... has his own personal tutor..... once you learn one language its very easy to learn another... also easy in
Europe where there is many places to practice your new language... especially in a peleton !

hombredesubaru said:
I have no prblems withany of the things you have stated about Jan talking to Basso or driving the peloton other than I would like to see the pics. I doubt seriously Jan was at the front driving the peloton. But if you provide the pic thats fine.
Jan's English is notoriously bad but maybe too much is made of that and he's more shy. If Ivan is better at English when at the beginning of Overcoming he was monosyllabic thats gret too. I just found the idea of those two chatting unlikely because Ivan probably was riding with his mouth closes (as pictures showed him as he went up the cobbled climb on stage three with everyone else gasping) and Jan probably panting as my other pic showed.

hombredesubaru said:
A "fat" Ullrich and T Mobile almost embarassed CSC today and more than embarassed Disco... If that guy is fat and performs like that then...

DV1976 said:
A "fat" Ullrich and T Mobile almost embarassed CSC today and more than embarassed Disco... If that guy is fat and performs like that then...
I already said that Jan isn't fat, i saw him last week in Belgium. But some people only read what they want to read (or see)....

By the way i also said that i had my doubts about the JU knee story.
Jens Heppner (former rider at Telekom) wrote on eurosport.de today that he believes Jan was playing poker and is in a much better shape as TM tried to make people believe...