Fixie learning curve - bunny hops

Michael Press wrote:
> So the next hurdle is handling bumps and potholes. On my
> regular bikes I can bunny hop over stuff, but I stop
> pedaling to pull the bike up.
>
> So far I can raise the front wheel on the fixie to reduce
> impact, but I don't think I'm ready to launch the bike
> into the air yet. Any words of wisdom, especially from
> fixed-MTBers?

I agree with Luke's response. I can bunny-hop a fixed, but
not nearly as well as I can bunny-hop a freewheeling bike. I
need to plan ahead for the bunny-hop and I need to be going
fairly slow. I haven't tried bunny-hopping at 100 rpm on the
fixed, and I'll probably never try it.

As far as technique goes, just try it like you do on a
freewheel bike. You'll probably want to stop pedaling for
a moment, but don't worry, the bike will remind you that
it's not possible. I'm sure you'll figure it out within a
few tries.

The primary lines of defense against bumps and potholes
do not include bunny-hops with a fixie. Evasive maneuvers
are more appropriate, and beefy equipment is probably

Dave dvt at psu dot edu

"Shayne Wissler" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> "Michael Press" <[email protected]> wrote in
> message news:[email protected]...
> > I converted my old road bike to a fixie and absolutely
> > love it.
> >
> > For the first half hour of my first ride I kept
> > thinking, "This is fun, but what's the big deal?." At
> > around mile 8 I experienced the magic.
>
> Are "fixies" one of those "If you understand, no
> explanation is necessary; if you do not understand, none
> is possible" things?
>
> For the life of me I don't understand why anyone would
> want to ride one.
If
> I decide I don't want to stop pedaling I can just decide
> not to; I don't care to have the decision forced on me.
>

> Shayne

What's to explain? It's fun. On the other hand, as you can
see by the number of fixed gear posts on this list, fixed
riding is so big it's already over for the 'cool' kids.

Just kidding. Philip