Goals Galore, v2.008

• Train consistently and stay healthy
  • Keep the weight down over the winter :eek:
  • Functional Threshold Power (FTP): 420W (5.0 w/kg)
  • 5-min max. power (5MMP): 500W (6.0 w/kg)
  • MAP (25W/min ramp rate): 550-560W (6.5 w/kg)
  • PB on local TT short and long courses: (21k/46k)
  • Local big Sept. stage race: Podium overall and win TT stage.
  • Canadian Nationals: Podium in the M40-49 ITT
  • Help local U23 rider win the Natz TT (4th, only 16 sec from 1st last year)
Items 3 and 4 would be +20W to 2007 bests and all-time PB's (age 44).

Master B cat 3 ,52 y. old (53 in 2 months)

07 races results : circuit: 2 nd, crit.: 2 nd , 3 rd
Road:1 st , 2 nd ,2 nd ,3 rd
TT: 1 ST ST. Team TT Champ. 32 mi/52.5 km 28.6 mph ( state Champion)
2 nd , 3 rd

I will have my 08 goals after my first FTP " 1 Hour of power" .

I started my first Block of LT( 25' to 40')( 10 days ) last week and ended today

day1:309w/off/day3:319w/off/day 5-6: 325w- 341w/off/day 8-9-10: 317w-330w- 338w ( best LT 30' 341w 5.2 w/kg). When i 'll be used to do LT i will do 2 days on and 1 day off .I see a stady increase in power ,but i need a nother block befort doing a 1 hour test ,it as been 5 months the last time i use my PM:eek: .

I like to work with block of 10 days ,then take fews days off ( recovery-2 or 3 days) and start a nother block , i will do " 1 hour of Power "(FTP ) on my 10 th day to have a very accurate FTP .Musher

1. Get up to 310-320FT by the time racing starts in April. Currently FT sits at 290. I weigh 73/4Kg

2. Get 5min Power up from 360watts to 390Watt

3. Win a race as a 3rd cat.

4. Get enough points to make 2nd cat status

5. By summer start riding with the E12's at the Crystal Palace crit and and begin finishing with the bunch. (got dropped everytime last season
:mad: )

5. Complete a 40Km TT in less than 60mins on a normal road bike set up

6. Help a friend with advice etc so he can finally complete the Etape Du tour in 2008, so far he has been pulled up by the broom wagon in his two previous attempts.

6. Get a top 25 place in any UK Cyclosportivs I happen to enter

Ade Merckx said:
...5. Complete a 40Km TT in less than 60mins on a normal road bike set up...
I don't want to knock anyone's goals, but this strikes me as kinda strange. Sort of liking setting a goal to win our local hill climb TT on a mountain bike with knobby tires while the competition rides road bikes. Why handicap yourself? What does it prove? I can see a reluctance to dump a bunch of cash on a custom TT bike but what's wrong with clip on bars and maybe lowering your front end a bit? Aero bars are standard kit for TTs these days.

I'm just curious because I've seen a few guys posting similar goals in various threads and I don't get it any more than setting a goal of placing in a crit on a touring bike with full paniers.

-Dave

daveryanwyoming said:
I...I don't get it any more than setting a goal of placing in a crit on a touring bike with full paniers.
You gotta admit though. That would be pretty cool.

cooljazz said:
You gotta admit though. That would be pretty cool.
Well this guy was spotted one day racing in a crit....

031220c.jpg

daveryanwyoming said:
I don't want to knock anyone's goals, but this strikes me as kinda strange. Why handicap yourself?
-Dave
Hey Dave to be fair the whole TT business doesn't appeal to me that much. The idea of turning up with the bars slightly lower than normal perhaps and seeing if I can get it done in under an hour as the Jazz man said I think would be kinda cool ;) .
Sort of liking setting a goal to win our local hill climb TT on a mountain bike with knobby tires while the competition rides road bikes.
Er no dude, it aint; coz i never said anything about winning:)
What does it prove?
er...that I did a 40k time trial in under 60mins on a standard bike set up:confused:

Ade Merckx said:
... er...that I did a 40k time trial in under 60mins on a standard bike set up:confused:
Fair 'nuff, I still don't get it but I guess I don't need to, it's your goal, not mine. I really wasn't trying to criticize your goal, I was just wondering if there was some bigger reason since I've heard other folks say similar things.

Good luck with all your goals for '08,
-Dave

daveryanwyoming said:
Fair 'nuff, I still don't get it but I guess I don't need to, it's your goal, not mine. I really wasn't trying to criticize your goal, I was just wondering if there was some bigger reason since I've heard other folks say similar things.

Good luck with all your goals for '08,
-Dave
Yeah you too Dave. I've really appreciated how you alongside Alex have picked up the Rap Daddy O training info baton and keep us informed with sharp, comprehensive and incisive posts :cool:

Ok, here goes:

1. Increase FTP to 245 and weight down to 70Kg by end of March, currently 220 ish and 73.

2. Race aggressively and attack.

3. Win a race in cat 5 before upgrading to cat 4, need 5 more races to upgrade.

4. Get FTP to 280, 4w/Kg by end of July.

5. Earn 10 pts. towards a cat 3 upgrade.

I posted my goals earlier in the thread, but met some of them already, so it's time to revise. Here are my new goals for 2008:
1. 5w/kg FTP
2. Win a race
If I reach goal 1 then number 2 should be pretty easy.

1. Drop 30lbs by march
2. Enter and Finish my first Cat 5 crit
3. Complete a double century.

Well 11 weeks into winter and halfway through the indoor training season if we have a typical spring. Thought I'd take a second to see how I'm doing against my training goals and bring this thread back up above the spam in the process.

daveryanwyoming said:
..Train at least 10 hours per week all winter
No problem so far with typical weeks totalling 12 or more hours with skiing. I realized early on that I'd need more than 10 good hours per week to hit my CTL goals as I get between 50 and 70 TSS/hour from SST work including warmup, cooldown and rests between efforts.
...At least 6 of those on computrainer as SST/L4 work + ski skating till weather warms up...
No problem here. I'm good for an hour and a half tops on the trainer on my best days and I'm usually ready to get off after an hour but a couple of morning / evening doubles midweek have made it pretty easy to rack up the trainer time and TSS.
...At least one day a week on TT bike in aero bars to work flexibility and power from that position...
Here's where I'm slackin' It sure isn't much fun riding indoors in the aero bars, much less comfortable than the same position outdoors. I've only done a few of these and then haven't been able to stay in the aero bars as long as I'd like. Need to work on this before TTs roll around.
...Bring FTP to at least 4.5 W/Kg by April (~4.3 w/kg high point this season)...
Too soon to say on this one. Really struggling to hit power numbers indoors that I hit regularly outdoors last summer. Didn't have this common problem last year at lower levels and have developed a lot more empathy for folks that struggle indoors. Not too worried as I'm getting good steady work, am way ahead of this time last winter and numbers are climbing. But I'm sure hoping I see a jump when I get back outdoors in the spring.
...Bring CTL to at least 90 by March...
All but in the bag with CTL up around 85 right now and a very nice steady ramp of ~ 3 TSS/day/week. Barring illness or injury I should be well above 90 by March.

So how's everyone else doing on winter training goals? I'm pretty psyched to hit the halfway point and still be excited to train.

-Dave

• Increase functional threshold power to 335 (currently 285)
  • Decrease weight to 67 kg (currently 69)
  • Race 4 of 6 NMBS races (all except New York)
  • Increase 5 sec power to over 1200
  • build up hardtail under 20lbs.
  • RaceSea Otter
  • Race key local road races
  • Become a more confident and skilled technical rider
  • Organize team training camp
  • Help Yeshua blow away PR in Wildflower

daveryanwyoming said:
Well 11 weeks into winter and halfway through the indoor training season if we have a typical spring. Thought I'd take a second to see how I'm doing against my training goals and bring this thread back up above the spam in the process.

No problem so far with typical weeks totalling 12 or more hours with skiing. I realized early on that I'd need more than 10 good hours per week to hit my CTL goals as I get between 50 and 70 TSS/hour from SST work including warmup, cooldown and rests between efforts.
sounds good. I've been a little under target at 8hrs/wk and 5d/week. I need to get that 6th day in there.

No problem here. I'm good for an hour and a half tops on the trainer on my best days and I'm usually ready to get off after an hour but a couple of morning / evening doubles midweek have made it pretty easy to rack up the trainer time and TSS.
doubles no!!! but I've worked up to a min. of 1.5hrs per session now and succeeded in turning off my brain to make the time pass more quickly.

Here's where I'm slackin' It sure isn't much fun riding indoors in the aero bars, much less comfortable than the same position outdoors. I've only done a few of these and then haven't been able to stay in the aero bars as long as I'd like. Need to work on this before TTs roll around.

hmmm ... i've tried this in the past and found it literally too much of a pain in the butt. however I'm being pretty good about doing my cooldown~10min in the aerobars whilst pretending I'm riding Powercranks :D

Too soon to say on this one. Really struggling to hit power numbers indoors that I hit regularly outdoors last summer. Didn't have this common problem last year at lower levels and have developed a lot more empathy for folks that struggle indoors. Not too worried as I'm getting good steady work, am way ahead of this time last winter and numbers are climbing. But I'm sure hoping I see a jump when I get back outdoors in the spring.

i sucked big time in early december after a work/illness break but the past two weeks I've noticed a nice jump. rode outdoors this weekend for the 1st time since November and felt very good. Hit NP PB for 3+hr ride on the mountain bike and that's a very good sign. With the lower gearing, generally i found I can't keep up the same power as the road bike (longish downhills, tailwinds etc).

All but in the bag with CTL up around 85 right now and a very nice steady ramp of ~ 3 TSS/day/week. Barring illness or injury I should be well above 90 by March.

CTL dropped from my personal 'sweet spot' of 110-120 in-season to 65 :)eek: :eek:) in late November and FTP ~350W. I felt like a log on the bike and even 30-min tempo sucketh big time. Now getting close to 90CTL and 380FTP, I'm starting to feel like myself again.

So how's everyone else doing on winter training goals? I'm pretty psyched to hit the halfway point and still be excited to train.

I feel much better now than early December. The power meter did not lie to me then but I'll admit I honestly did not want to believe it!!!

-Dave
.... formatting looked weird but I figured I'd post for a bump if nothing else!

daveryanwyoming said:
I've been through this and I used to worry about the lower power but I've come to the conclusion that all that indoor work pays off big time in the spring. I have found that I'm pretty much OK once I get outside, assuming I've done enough inside (or a mixture inside and outside). I might be a few % low on capability due to the indoor stuff but it doesn't take long to wring that out of myself once I get outside consistently (usually March around here). Also, you're obviously better off for riding indoors rather than doing nothing. ;) :)

daveryanwyoming said:
rmur17 said:
doubles no!!! but I've worked up to a min. of 1.5hrs per session now and succeeded in turning off my brain to make the time pass more quickly.
Turning off your brain is the operative phrase, for sure Rick. I like action movies for this as I really get into them and almost forget where I am sometimes. It's good for some L2/L3 time and I often don't really have to think about keeping the power up...bonus: when some really big action section comes on, all the sudden - holy smokes - I'm riding in L4 and didn't even know it. :cool:

Otherwise, I've found some of what I will call "ride videos" to be helpful. One that is on my list right now is the Spinervals Tucson DVD. Coach Troy does a ~1 hour climb up to ~mile 21 of Mount Lemmon (good for L3 or low L4) but I really like the next section where he goes from mile 22 or so up to Summerhaven (the top) in about 16 minutes. It's good for some high L4 and it almost totally makes me forget that I'm in my spare bedroom on a trainer. :) I've done this climb for real many times so the video footage on this DVD means something to me.

Does anyone know if the Tacx DVD's work on a standard DVD player? I think that their Video Cycling discs do but the Real Life Videos (that are meant for their VR trainers) may not. Anyone know for sure in both cases?

Edit: To be specific, this is what I'm referrring to. Video Cycling and Real Life Videos.

1) FTP of 300 by 7/08 (best current estimate is 270, last one hour tt under crappy conditions was only 262)

2)Participate in weekly local summer crit series with local racing club

3) Drop from 174 to 165 pounds

4) Bench press 240 @ 3 reps

5) Close a CoC No. 2 Gripper using right hand; 1.5 with left

6) 25 straight pull ups

Alex Simmons said:
I was thinking about putting this one up again soon Nomad - you beat me to it!;)

My 2008 cycling goals are pretty simple at this stage:

1. Turn a crank on a bicycle on a trainer and rack up my first TSS point for a long time.
2. Ride outdoors.
3. Start racing again, especially on the track.

I can't really put dates to those as so much depends on how my leg progresses (and when I can get a suitable bike leg made and fitted). Once I have a feel of how I am progressing, I might be a bit more specific with the goals.
Tick :D
See here:
http://alex-cycle.blogspot.com/2008/01/279-days.html

Good deal Alex!!!

Glad to see you are now spinning a crank.
What is the forecast to get to the next step (prosthetic, full crank and all)?
Do you have a lot of physical therapy still to go or is that done and it is up to you now to go forward?