• 16-20 pounds

Votes: 120 9.2%
  • 21-25 pounds

Votes: 810 62.3%
  • 26 pounds or more

Votes: 371 28.5%

• Total voters
Originally posted by yamaha_mike
just got it off the LBS scale = 15 1/2lb (7kg)

wow! i don't deserve this =)

2003 giant composite tcr1 frame with
cinelli solido handlebars
easton composite seatpost
selle san marco seat
speedplay zero ti pedals
mavic ksyriums ssl sc wheelset
dura ace 2004 drive train and brakes

Your right, unless you race.......

Memph

Originally posted by Memphmann
Great to hear about your friend Thomas. What does he have to do with this? We were discussing you. Am sure he is a great climber. Not all old ppl are weak, just most. Just as you grow older, so comes the muscle loss and weakness. Am sure when I hit your age, I might need baby gears also. Would make it easier to catch those old ladies in walkers :)

At least you are out there cycling....

Memph

Im gratified that I have your approval to ride.Getting older beats the alternative .I do not intend to grow old gracefully and who know maybe some day chasing down old ladies in walkers could be cool stuff. Let you know if and when I get there. Its gonna be a while.
Signed: Getting better and meaner every day

Lighter than this and you will fly. How steady is it in cross wind.
Do you race with this bicycle or just pedal around.

Originally posted by Andy Lamarre
Lighter than this and you will fly. How steady is it in cross wind.
Do you race with this bicycle or just pedal around.

The bike overall is a little squirrly all the time if you don't pay attention to what you are doing ,but very responsive. The wind gets pretty mean sometimes. I have not raced since I started back a year ago.We are considering competiting next spring but are mainly training for a tour of Europe in the near future.

Just one REAL custom bike - Seven Odonata for all 6'2" of me. (that's custom lengths, angles and tube butting). Built not only for my size and weight, but for stability and long, epic rides. Weighing in at 17.25 lbs. (7.8 kg) on an actually calibrated hanging scale. (and, IMHO, Anything below 16.5 lbs. (7.5 kg) is just too dangerous for descending or cross winds, and somewhere below 15.5 lbs. (7.0 kg) isn't UCI legal for racing anyway.)

And yeah, I blew the $ on King Ti bottle cages, but the real important stuff remains the frame, fork and wheels (Reynold's Stratus DV tubulars for me)

But all of it is about the feel of the ride, as O'Grady of Velonews once wrote "...a good dump in the morning will save you more weight than all the beryllium seatposts in the Colorado Cyclist catalog."

-Saupak

1st generation 1994 Trek 5200 OCLV w/2003 Dura-Ace, Mavic Ksyrium Elites, 19.5 lbs.

1994 Trek 8900 stock, w/XTR, 27 lbs.

How true about the morning dump. Are you still very active in cycling, like how much mileage do you do a year.

Just built up a new ride:
2003 K2 Mod 5.0 size Small
17.2 lbs including pedals and cages.

I got the frame and parts separately (9-sd DA) so the wheels and seatpost aren't K2 spec. Have Cane Creek Volos Ti, which are slightly lighter than the Ksyrium SSC SL's (including skewers) which are stock, and a different carbon seatpost which is slightly heavier. Basically a wash, weightwise.

They (K2) put the bike sans pedals at 16.1 lbs in their specs. I put it at about 16.6 lbs. In theory/manufacturer's spec-land it should be about 16.7 lbs w/ pedals and cages.

1/2 lb seems to be a lot to be off, but it could be my bathroom scale (it's digital so it's gotta be accurate, right?)! No real complaints, though, since it's both stiffer and lighter than my 10+ year old steel frame which was about 22.5 lbs on the same scale.

Edit: Oh, and I don't feel bad about the weight because: 1) 17lbs isn't super light, 2) I paid way less than retail putting this together and will admit this to anyone that asks, and 3) K2 makes bikes?!? :)

Hope you'll have some fun with it. Here in Montreal, Canada it is to cold at the moment to go out, so I do a lot of inside spinning until the ski season comes around.

Hope you'll have some fun with it. Here in Montreal, Canada it is to cold at the moment to go out, so I do a lot of inside spinning until the ski season comes around.

Still getting some outdoor rides in. Was overheating in a long-sleeve jersey yesterday on a long climb! :D It's pretty nice out now in the mid-60's.

Thought the cold(er)/rainy season was upon us end of last week, but it cleared up. Too bad since Tahoe got like 4 feet of snow in some places and the ski areas were talking about opening for Thanksgiving, but highs in the mid-40's now. Spring sking?

Who can tell though . . . 3 weeks ago it was in the 90's here in San Fran! Halloween week it was a 40 degree swing to the low-50's during the day to upper 30's at night (that's cold for this area).

WHAT!!!!! The weather in Montreal is basically the same as TO. It was sunny, +4C with windchill -4C on Sunday. Still spun off 165km ride. Also saw a few other riders to boot. Guess it just depends how hardcore you are to still ride outside in Canada now......

Memph

The weather is just an excuse for the weak to miss a ride.....

WHAT!!!!! The weather in Montreal is basically the same as TO. It was sunny, +4C with windchill -4C on Sunday. Still spun off 165km ride. Also saw a few other riders to boot. Guess it just depends how hardcore you are to still ride outside in Canada now......

Memph

The weather is just an excuse for the weak to miss a ride.....

dude, can you give it a rest for one day, huh? we all can see that you are hardcore and in great shape.

that's fine and dandy. really.

that was established many posts ago. i was originally amused by it (and i'm sure you can kick my @ss on a bike. i mean i was a lowly Cat 3 . . . 10 years ago), but it has gotten old. there are many ways to say the same thing without making every sentence humiliating to the person you're addressing.

what i'm trying to say is that a little modesty can gain more respect than a lot of big talk, regardless of whether you have the legs to back it up or not.

you know. having people see you walking down the street and say "he's an animal on the road, but you'd never know it by chatting with him. he leads by example and his commitment." vs. "don't look, here comes <insert name here>. he's gonna rail us again about how not dedicated and out of shape we are." ;)

just food for thought.

Originally posted by drewski
dude, can you give it a rest for one day, huh? we all can see that you are hardcore and in great shape.

that was established many posts ago. i was originally amused by it (and i'm sure you can kick my @ss on a bike. i mean i was a lowly Cat 3 . . . 10 years ago), but it has gotten old. there are many ways to say the same thing without making every sentence humiliating to the person you're addressing.

what i'm trying to say is that a little modesty can gain more respect than a lot of big talk, regardless of whether you have the legs to back it up or not.

you know. having people see you walking down the street and say "he's an animal on the road, but you'd never know it by chatting with him. he leads by example and his commitment." vs. "don't look, here comes <insert name here>. he's gonna rail us again about how not dedicated and out of shape we are." ;)

just food for thought.

:cool:

Glad to hear you can do the trainer. Its is hard for me to do.
TOO BORING!! It is still warm enough here at least in the afternoon. It is the lack of daylight thats killing me.By the time I get home I have about 45 minutes to ride in the evenings, that is if I rush it.
I am focusing on climbing with the short amount of timeI have ,but I still have the weekends.
The trainer is still a good tool. It beats sitting on your a___
eating potato chips and passing gas. Hang in there.

Originally posted by drewski

just food for thought.

That was alot of food. Now I have to puke and ride for a few hours. :)

Just getting the point out that the weather is not bad here yet. Sorry if you took it the wrong way. Just funny hearing all the ways ppl miss a ride...

Memph

Originally posted by lokstah
I miss rides if I feel like doing something else.

:( We are all committed to cycling differently. I never have anything better to do. If I do, it can wait.....

Memph

That was alot of food. Now I have to puke and ride for a few hours. :)

hopefully you've got that out of your system. take a look at this picture:
wherry0711.jpg

and another
triple0712.jpg

pros with a triple . . . and using it! they're from this year's San Francisco Grand Prix (aka T-Mobile International).

the horror!!