Near Miss from Trying to Signal

Simon Brooke wrote:

> OK, folks, lets make with some suggestions. Cannondale are
> doing a 'Street Vintage Féminine' .....

It's kind of you to try but please don't bother. This
story has a long history in rec.bicycles.misc and
nl.fiets, so long, in fact, that they're all quite sick of
hearing about it.

Suffice it to say that I pretty much know the Cannondale,
Trek, Giant, Union, Sparta, Gazelle, Batavus and Utopia
catalogues by heart. I have seen the Cannondale Street but
consider it unsuitable. The Rohloff is a man's bike. In
general I'm not attracted to Cannondale at all. Arrogantly
marketed, hugely overpriced just for the name, as well as
male-oriented and road-oriented.

There is a narrow range of Giant bikes (Energy 7 LDS, EZB
Revive ...) that have entered into consideration, as well as
a number of Sparta and Union models, but the constant rub-up
is that they are not available to be seen and tried locally,
which is why I had to come to the UK just to view them.

The first shop on your list, Les Vélos Parisiens, is also
billed as the only Europe-wide dealer for Utopia bikes. What
this means is that they have exactly _one_ Utopia, a dark
green Sprint with a 49 cm frame, available for trial. Been
there, done that. Beautiful bike to be sure (though not as
beautiful as Behemoth). But I want to try also the size
below and the size above, and some other models, and even if
I go for it I would still have to order from Germany, and
there could still be differences between the bike I try and
the bike I get, so back to square one.

EFR Ile de France

Dave Kahn wrote:

> If Elisa Francesca can ride Myrtille with few problems it
> follows that there must be something seriously wrong with
> Behemoth for it to be such a pig. To buy an expensive bike
> and then have to replace it almost immediately because
> it's unrideable is just not acceptable.

Yes, but... there are problems here that may go beyond the
bike. Elisa has said that she can't ride anything one-handed
and has trouble getting going if she has to come down off
the saddle to put a foot down, as she does with Behemoth, so
it could well be a combination of the bike's quirks (and all
bikes have quirks that work differently for different
riders) and her own riding issues.
It /might/ be primarily a problem with the bike, I don't
know (for example, take Brompton to Kinetics for
dynohub, Ben fits, I test ride, handling shot to hell, I
say so, he has a quick go, tweaks something, handling
just as it used to be), or it might be a combination of
bike and rider (for another example, friend test rides
Streetmachine at Kinetics (this before I have one),
finds it fine until ~ 20 mph when it gets a horrible
shimmy and he thinks it'll throw him, this happening
every time he gets close to the Magic Speed, I ride the
same bike, find it solid as a rock no matter how fast I
go, go figure...). "Unrideable" depends to quite an
extent on the rider. 'nuff respect to Elisa for keeping
riding under such difficult circumstances, but the
evidence is she doesn't yet have the level of ability
where her problems can't be blamed purely on the
machinery, especially with nothing but text descriptions
to go on :-(

This is a good example of a case where we really need to be
in the same place as one another, and with the bike and a
test track :-( Though I'd ask the chap in the LBS to give
the headset a look and tweak as that's an obvious contender
for horrible handling.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch University of Dundee Tel 44 1382 660111 ext.
33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital Fax 44 1382 640177

Elisa Francesca Roselli wrote:

> I'm not attracted to Cannondale at all. Arrogantly
> marketed, hugely overpriced just for the name, as well as
> male-oriented and road-oriented.

While I'd agree they're probably not the bikes for you, I
don't think that's a fair assessment of them. They cost a
lot because they're very good, not just because they have
"Cannondale" written on them, they do a range of women
specific designs and they're at least as famous for their
mountain bikes these days as the road models.

Pete.
--

Peter Clinch wrote:

> I'd stick with the Dutch roadster route, but with the big
> proviso of Try Before You Buy, and don't buy unless happy.

Exactly, especially when we're talking this amount of cash.

> Even small changes can result in quite big handling
> differences

So true. Between the day I put down my deposit on Behemoth
and the day I went home with her, the rim dynamo front-light
was substituted, at my behest, with a hub-dynamo. An online
computer, front basket and U-lock were configured, adding a
good 3 kilos to the weight of the bike overall. Even if I
had been able to try her sufficiently to get an idea of fit,
etc;, handling properties by the time we went home together
could have been significantly different.

Another problem is that Behemoth's dealer, and all these
Paris dealers, are so far away and such a project to get to.
I have a reasonably sympathique LBS just round the corner
from me. But that guy is exclusively interested in up-market
road bikes for boys (Kuota...), and cannot supply anything
even remotely directed at me. He helps when I need a tyre
changed, did the upgrades on Myrtille etc., but he's useless
from the target market point of view. The only hope is that
he deals for Giant, so if I fall for a Giant bike that I
have tried and tested elsewhere, he might be able to order
it for me and service it locally. But there's still the fact
that the bike I buy will not be the bike I try.

EFR Ile de France

Peter Clinch wrote:

> I'd stick with the Dutch roadster route, but with the big
> proviso of Try Before You Buy, and don't buy unless happy.

Exactly, especially when we're talking this amount of cash.

> Even small changes can result in quite big handling
> differences

So true. Between the day I put down my deposit on Behemoth
and the day I went home with her, the rim dynamo front-light
was substituted, at my behest, with a hub-dynamo. An online
computer, front basket and U-lock were configured, adding a
good 3 kilos to the weight of the bike overall. Even if I
had been able to try her sufficiently to get an idea of fit,
etc;, handling properties by the time we went home together
could have been significantly different.

Another problem is that Behemoth's dealer, and all these
Paris dealers, are so far away and such a project to get to.
I have a reasonably sympathique LBS just round the corner
from me. But that guy is exclusively interested in up-market
road bikes for boys (Kuota...), and cannot supply anything
even remotely directed at me. He helps when I need a tyre
changed, did the upgrades on Myrtille etc., but he's useless
from the target market point of view. The only hope is that
he deals for Giant, so if I fall for a Giant bike that I
have tried and tested elsewhere, he might be able to order
it for me and service it locally. But there's still the fact
that the bike I buy will not be the bike I try.

EFR Ile de France

On Wed, 12 May 2004 11:36:47 +0100, Peter Clinch <[email protected]>
wrote:

> This is a good example of a case where we really need to
> be in the same place as one another, and with the bike and
> a test track :-( Though I'd ask the chap in the LBS to
> give the headset a look and tweak as that's an obvious
> contender for horrible handling.

Excellent, urc meet in Paris at Elisa's place. Do you reckon
Eurostart do a discount?

wrote:

> This is a good example of a case where we really need to
> be in the same place as one another, and with the bike and
> a test track :-( Though I'd ask the chap in the LBS to
> give the headset a look and tweak as that's an obvious
> contender for horrible handling.

Excellent, urc meet in Paris at Elisa's place. Do you reckon
Eurostart do a discount?

Elisa Francesca Roselli wrote:

> Simon Brooke wrote:
>

>>OK, folks, lets make with some suggestions. Cannondale are
>>doing a 'Street Vintage Féminine' .....
>

> It's kind of you to try but please don't bother. This
> story has a long history in rec.bicycles.misc and
> nl.fiets, so long, in fact, that they're all quite sick of
> hearing about it.
>
> Suffice it to say that I pretty much know the Cannondale,
> Trek, Giant, Union, Sparta, Gazelle, Batavus and Utopia
> catalogues by heart. I have seen the Cannondale Street but
> consider it unsuitable. The Rohloff is a man's bike. In
> general I'm not attracted to Cannondale at all. Arrogantly
> marketed, hugely overpriced just for the name, as well as
> male-oriented and road-oriented.
>
> There is a narrow range of Giant bikes (Energy 7 LDS, EZB
> Revive ...) that have entered into consideration, as well
> as a number of Sparta and Union models, but the constant
> rub-up is that they are not available to be seen and
> tried locally, which is why I had to come to the UK just
> to view them.
>
> The first shop on your list, Les Vélos Parisiens, is also
> billed as the only Europe-wide dealer for Utopia bikes.
> What this means is that they have exactly _one_ Utopia, a
> dark green Sprint with a 49 cm frame, available for trial.
> Been there, done that. Beautiful bike to be sure (though
> not as beautiful as Behemoth). But I want to try also the
> size below and the size above, and some other models, and
> even if I go for it I would still have to order from
> Germany, and there could still be differences between the
> bike I try and the bike I get, so back to square one.
>
> EFR Ile de France

I can sympathise with your plight. I found it very hard (in
the UK) to find bikes I could try that were a) the style I
was after, and b) the size I thought I needed.

Almost exclusively I found that the type of bike wasn't
stocked in the size I wanted, let alone the
manufacturer/frame I wanted - and I was beginning to realise
(though hadn't fully appreciated how much of a difference it
makes) that even trying one size frame doesn't translate to
whether the same size of another manufacturer would fit.

I ordered a bike in to a not-local LBS with crossed fingers
in the end - I'd not sat on ANY of that manufacturers bikes,
let alone one the right size, or one the right size but a
different model, and most of those here have heard the tales
of how it was actually too big in some respects but fitted
in others, and the ongoing saga of changing numerous
components multiple times in order to alleviate the problems
that's given me.

The bike I wanted was a small racer/tourer that was also
light. With drops. You'd not think that was a hard to find
bike, but almost all the LBS's deal in hybrid/mtb, or out
and out race frames solely designed for lanky-legged
blokes. They just didn't want to know about bikes that'd
fit my needs.

A couple of years later I found a very helpful not-very-LBS
who builds up bikes from scratch, made to measure. Had I
realised what I'd go through, I might as well have saved the
money I spent on changing things, and got a made-to-measure
steed instead.

I'd be interested to see a pic of your Myrtille to see how
it compares with Behemoth. I tend to agree that if you can
ride Myrtille without these steering problems then there
is something about either Behemoth's geometry, your
position/weight distribution, or something is indeed
faulty with it.

Of course, the other thing is that if you're not confident
riding Behemoth, that will translate into being more tense
(I've been here, with my bike, it's horrible but I'm now
mostly out the other side of that) and that'll also affect
her handling markedly.

Also, what would be interesting to see is a photo of you sat
on behemoth, with hands on bars. Do you have anyone that
could take a pic of that? Not necessarily riding her, but
about to set off on her, so foot on pedal, bum on saddle,
hands on bars, etc.

--

Velvet

> [...]

riding Behemoth, that will translate into being more tense
(I've been here, with my bike, it's horrible but I'm now
mostly out the other side of that) and that'll also affect
her handling markedly.

Also, what would be interesting to see is a photo of you sat
on behemoth, with hands on bars. Do you have anyone that
could take a pic of that? Not necessarily riding her, but
about to set off on her, so foot on pedal, bum on saddle,
hands on bars, etc.

--

Velvet

Elisa Francesca Roselli wrote:

>> OK, folks, lets make with some suggestions. Cannondale
>> are doing a 'Street Vintage Féminine' .....

> It's kind of you to try but please don't bother. This
> story has a long history in rec.bicycles.misc and
> nl.fiets, so long, in fact, that they're all quite sick of

Not sick of it, no. Just frustrated that I can't think of a
fix.

I really think that the only way to fix this is for someone
else to ride the bike, and watch you riding the bike. I am
sure that with a bit of time and ingenuity your handling
problems, at least, can be cured. As to the weight, there's
not much to be done about that. Some bikes are made of a
special alloy of lead and depleted uranium, I think :)

Why not try to come to the UK for the York Rally and
Urcmoot? Just a thought.

--
Guy
===

Victory is ours! Down with Eric the Half A Brain!

Peter Clinch wrote:

> (for example, take Brompton to Kinetics for dynohub, Ben
> fits, I test ride, handling shot to hell, I say so, he
> has a quick go, tweaks something, handling just as it
> used to be),

That's encouraging, given that the addition of a dynohub is
definitely an event in Behemoth's history. Perhaps her
dealer will be able just to tweak something and we'll be
all happy.

> "Unrideable" depends to quite an extent on the rider.
> 'nuff respect to Elisa for keeping riding under such
> difficult circumstances, but the evidence is she doesn't
> yet have the level of ability where her problems can't be
> blamed purely on the machinery, especially with nothing
> but text descriptions to go on :-(

Which is why I keep giving Behemoth the benefit of the
doubt. I'm not looking for any excuse to get a new bike. I'd
really like to keep her if we can make it work together. I
get complimented all the time on her beauty, and adore her
hub shifter and rainproof brakes.

> This is a good example of a case where we really need to
> be in the same place as one another, and with the bike and
> a test track :-(

I wish! Failing that, I ask just about everyone who passes
through here (I work in an IT training center), to test the
bike - neighbors, colleagues, trainees, even the janitor.
Some say the bike is wonky, some say they don't notice a
problem. The janitor, from bicycle-rich Sri Lanka, thinks
all she needs is a routine tweaking after her first few
months on the road.

> Though I'd ask the chap in the LBS to give the headset a
> look and tweak as that's an obvious contender for horrible
> handling.

He's miffed at me for not having bought from him, and is
taking a Bed. Make.
Lie. attitude to Bethie and me. But she's going back to her
dealer in a matter of days.

EFR Ile de France

Peter Clinch wrote:

> (for example, take Brompton to Kinetics for dynohub, Ben
> fits, I test ride, handling shot to hell, I say so, he
> has a quick go, tweaks something, handling just as it
> used to be),

That's encouraging, given that the addition of a dynohub is
definitely an event in Behemoth's history. Perhaps her
dealer will be able just to tweak something and we'll be
all happy.

> "Unrideable" depends to quite an extent on the rider.
> 'nuff respect to Elisa for keeping riding under such
> difficult circumstances, but the evidence is she doesn't
> yet have the level of ability where her problems can't be
> blamed purely on the machinery, especially with nothing
> but text descriptions to go on :-(

Which is why I keep giving Behemoth the benefit of the
doubt. I'm not looking for any excuse to get a new bike. I'd
really like to keep her if we can make it work together. I
get complimented all the time on her beauty, and adore her
hub shifter and rainproof brakes.

> This is a good example of a case where we really need to
> be in the same place as one another, and with the bike and
> a test track :-(

I wish! Failing that, I ask just about everyone who passes
through here (I work in an IT training center), to test the
bike - neighbors, colleagues, trainees, even the janitor.
Some say the bike is wonky, some say they don't notice a
problem. The janitor, from bicycle-rich Sri Lanka, thinks
all she needs is a routine tweaking after her first few
months on the road.

> Though I'd ask the chap in the LBS to give the headset a
> look and tweak as that's an obvious contender for horrible
> handling.

He's miffed at me for not having bought from him, and is
taking a Bed. Make.
Lie. attitude to Bethie and me. But she's going back to her
dealer in a matter of days.

EFR Ile de France

On Wed, 12 May 2004 11:45:45 +0100, Colin Blackburn
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Excellent, urc meet in Paris at Elisa's place. Do you
> reckon Eurostart do a discount?

What I was meant to add to the bottom was...

Maybe something like the Giant Revive semi-recumbent might
be worth trying. As this is a once size fits all her local
Giant dealer would only need to get one in. It would be easy
to put the full flat of the foot down when stopping yet
still have full leg extension when pedalling. Step through
frame. Tool-less adjustment. Okay, it's not a hub gear but
it is a simple rear-only derailleur system.

Just a though

Pic at:

http://www.twoplustwo.uk.com/recumbents/revive-8.html

Colin

Peter Clinch wrote:

> While I'd agree they're probably not the bikes for you, I
> don't think that's a fair assessment of them. They cost a
> lot because they're very good, not just because they have
> "Cannondale" written on them, they do a range of women
> specific designs and they're at least as famous for their
> mountain bikes these days as the road models.

OK, I accept correction. Still don't want one. Besides,
they're super-stealable: what joy in a shiny new bike that
must immediately be uglified to deter thieves? At least with
a bike labelled "Bikkel" not every scamp in the neighborhood
immediately knows how much it's worth.

EFR Ile de France

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote:

> Not sick of it, no. Just frustrated that I can't think
> of a fix.

Nobody owes me a fix, but thanks for your patience.

> Why not try to come to the UK for the York Rally and
> Urcmoot? Just a thought.

Wots that?

EFR Ile de France