Ok girls - just how many of us are there here?

Hello. Began back in the 80's with running and triathlons - 3 of us would do team triathlons and I was the 'cyclist'. Anyway for the past 10 years haven't been doing anything consistent - except working too much, some cross country skiing, hiking, kayaking, a little biking. WELL, last 5/30/06 I fell at work onto my right knee - had a knee scope in January - have a grade III patella-femoral lesion, maybe more surgery. So, I am just purchasing a new bike, either a Trek 7100 or Giant Cypress DX to get into shape. PLEASE give me some advice on my riding/training/weight loss. I need to lose 40 lbs - I'm also 50 years old. THANKS.

me too! Live in West Chicago, IL. Wish there were more cool road biking chicks out here for me to ride with!

surgtech1956 said:
Hello. Began back in the 80's with running and triathlons - 3 of us would do team triathlons and I was the 'cyclist'. Anyway for the past 10 years haven't been doing anything consistent - except working too much, some cross country skiing, hiking, kayaking, a little biking. WELL, last 5/30/06 I fell at work onto my right knee - had a knee scope in January - have a grade III patella-femoral lesion, maybe more surgery. So, I am just purchasing a new bike, either a Trek 7100 or Giant Cypress DX to get into shape. PLEASE give me some advice on my riding/training/weight loss. I need to lose 40 lbs - I'm also 50 years old. THANKS.

I like a Trek bike. I ride a 2005 1000c wsd and a 2005 2100wsd both road bikes. I ride with friends and they ride the 7100. They seem to really like it. It is a little heavier than a road bike. If you plan to get serious though, I would just recommend getting a road bike. I am 52 and have been riding 10-15 miles 3 to 4 times a week. Just got back from vacation and gained a couple of pounds. Older i get, harder it is to lose. So, now my plan is to keep riding, and count CALORIES. Good luck with your choice. I also like the Trek Women who ride club.

I wanna play too. West coast in the house. Girl rider checking in :D

Been doing some biking this year but it was all short commutes. Then not so long ago I talked to a friend who is serious about biking and it got me thinking. Started watching local cyclists go up the hills and it was pretty cool. Finally, got the urge to start actually training and trying to get better.

Now i love to got on the bicycle and just go and go. Um maybe not so far yet but I am getting better. It is good to do something and watch yourself improve.

I got a second hand road bike but it is pretty neat. Also have a power meter measuring device which is hella neat!

Have fun ridin y'all :)

Hi all! Another west coast US girlie rider here, though I'm really a swimmer who has gotten into riding more when I started doing triathlons 1.5 years ago. I just did the Vineman Aquabike (2.4mile swim, 112mile bike) Totally fun! LOVE riding my bike, but noticed some unpleasant developments in the skin-meets saddle dept when I started racking up the mileage this spring/summer in prep for the Aquabike.

Can I ask this kind of question in this forum? I hope! Can a "callous" be a long lump instead of an actual skin toughening or have I gotten myself some kind of contusion? :eek:I swear nothing like this ever happens from swimming! :p

Hi there. I'm Nette. 34 yr old, part time secretary for a post graduate DO program, full time nursing student and mommy. I haven't been on a bike in many moons, but when my son kicked the training wheels off last summer I started riding with him and remembered how much fun it was. I live in Largo, FL. :)

Halokitty said:
Hi there. I'm Nette. 34 yr old, part time secretary for a post graduate DO program, full time nursing student and mommy. I haven't been on a bike in many moons, but when my son kicked the training wheels off last summer I started riding with him and remembered how much fun it was. I live in Largo, FL. :)

Hey there :) :)

I used to live in Pinellas also. How's the bike riding there these days? Has the city gotten more bike friendly?

Back in the day it was either the pinellas trail OR getting up super early to ride in the old NE and snell isle.

Otherwise I'd get the treatment (car horns, middle fingers, threats to my life, etc) on most roads :(

Hi everyone,
Im Naomi, im 21 and live on the sunny Gold Coast, QLD.
I don't own a car yet so my bike is my best friend!
I recently developed tibial stress fractures in both legs from running and was told im only allowd to swim and ride bikes for 8 weeks, so I decided it was time to upgrade from my rusty old road bike and find something better (or at least safer!), so ive been testing almost every bike in every store on the goldy for the past few months and have narrowd it down to 2 very nice road bikes!
Happy riding everyone!

Hi Everyone!

I'm Sarah, a 30 year old living in Shropshire. Recently got back into cycling as a way to get my fitness up after a horrible rock-climbing accident. Started on 8 miles, now on 17 and counting. My bike's a bit rickety and old but will make a serious investment in a new one soon!

Cheers

Howdy from hot and sunny Texas. :) I caught the cycling bug 6 years ago and haven't stopped. I'm a Cannondale fan all the way. I have a Synapse 3 carbon with Mavic Elite wheels and love love love it! :D

I'm very fortunate to live in the Clear Lake area where cycling, running, and water sports are popular and welcomed.

We have several ride groups in the area but my favorite is with Webster Bicycle, awesome group of people. If you're down this way, join us on the Saturday ride. Pace is 17mph +

Sarah79 said:
Hi Everyone!

I'm Sarah, a 30 year old living in Shropshire. Recently got back into cycling as a way to get my fitness up after a horrible rock-climbing accident. Started on 8 miles, now on 17 and counting. My bike's a bit rickety and old but will make a serious investment in a new one soon!

Cheers
Hi, Sarah,
Do you mean Shropshire in England, :confused: if so thought I was the only one in England on this excellent forum. I live in Surrey, have just starting riding again after a 12 year gap. Not fallen off yet, but give it time. Safer than rock climbing, hopefully. Brave girl you must be. Had two punctures in two weeks, now got puncture resistent tyres put on, rock hard ride. Because of my age and my gender treated with certain amount of amusement, but not too much patronising, in my local bike shop. Got a new Windsor, originally made in Mexico I am told, trying to pick up cycling jargon !!:)

First of all I apologize if I'm crossing any boundaries.
I'm a guy not a girl. I have not ridden a bike since I was 15 years old.
I am not just posting this is Women's cycling but in a lot of other threads.
I recently bid for a charity event a chance to ride with Lance Armstrong for Ride for the Roses in Austin Texas on Oct. 23. I did it more for charity than anything but now I'm being sort of pressed to go by the foundation to go.
It includes airfare, hotel and a private ride with Lance and of course the luncheon and party. Oh did I mention I do not ride bikes !
I'd like to give one of these away and no I'm not looking to find a soul mate or anything of that sort. However if any of you are in the Florida area, southern states, Texas or around and would like to go, by all means message me. Also if anyone can give any tips on which bike to buy (easy one) but fast I guess would be appreciated. Lance Armstrong Foundation: Home

Hi I am Tamryn. I am 26 and was born in South Africa but moved to New Zealand 2 and a bit years ago. I have two small daughters.

I have been on the board much since I joined back in May 2004. I had a Haro back then but sold it as it was a mens bike and it was too big for me. I am now on my way to owning a Giant Alias womens bike :D I love it so much. Best bike I have ridden. I will have it payed off by Christmas.
I cannot wait to get riding again

I'm from Dallas too! I just signed on today. What local forum do you read? Where do you like to ride?

Well I just joined today. I am from south africa. I am hobbyist cyclist and had to learn how to ride a bike all over again when my bf brought me a bike for christmas 5 years ago. Only recently have we got into a proper route, as life got in the way. I have also just got cleats about two weeks ago and not doing well with the stopping correctly, I have fallen far to many times, but not giving up. Are there any other South African here?

cheers for now.

Hi Ladies,
I just joined the forum, and thought I would use this thread to say hi and to introduce myself.

I am a 30yr old woman, and avid cyclist from Chicago. I ride a beautiful Celeste Bianchi that I love, amongst others. I am, for all intents and purposes, strictly a roadie. I enjoy group rides, but am starting to think that once the weather gets better that I should schedule in at least one solo ride a week to help me HTFU!

I noticed, above, that there is another woman on the forum from Chicago. I just wanted to say that there lots of girl roadies around here, you just have to seek them out! PM me if you want, and I can let you know who I ride with/where.

CalicoCat said:
I noticed, above, that there is another woman on the forum from Chicago. I just wanted to say that there lots of girl roadies around here, you just have to seek them out! PM me if you want, and I can let you know who I ride with/where.

Alternatively - you could PM that other Chicago poster!

Hi my name is Amanda and i'm 33years old and live in Western Sydney. I bought a brand new Schwinn 26" ladies 'High Timber' mountain bike yesterday and I love it. [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Schwinn-Timber-Womens-Mountain-26-Inch/dp/B0021I9QT0]Amazon.com: Schwinn High Timber Women's Mountain Bike (26-Inch Wheels, Matte Light Blue): Sports & Outdoors[/ame]
I picked it up from Target because all the bikes in the bike shop were over my budget. I managed to get a $100 discount from it's original price so I was really happy with that. Only problem I have is there is no drill holes where I can attach my water bottle cage so i'll need to find an alternative.
I've had a little experience with cycling - as a kid I raced BMX and then I got my first mountain bike as a teen. It was just a recreational thing, no competing or anything. As an adult I didn't really do any cycling until a couple of years ago when my hubby bought me a mountain bike. I didn't have my car licence at the time due to medical reasons so it was part recreational and part as a means for transport to and from work and/or the shops etc. I enjoyed that bike but it took a flying lesson off our bike rack onto the Barrier Highway and failed. It was completely destroyed and I didn't get to replace it until now. So after just a little more than a year without a bike i'm really excited to get back into it. I'm hoping that it will be something that I can keep up for recreation and fitness. I don't really want to get into any competitions (well that's not on the cards atm) but i'd like to build up my fitness/endurance level so that I can eventually go on some longer rides on roads, bike paths and trails.

bikerchick76 said:
Only problem I have is there is no drill holes where I can attach my water bottle cage so i'll need to find an alternative.

A Bidon lives in your middle jersey pocket. You dont need a bottle cage. You can even hang your bidon from your mouth by biting the nipple between your teeth. I do this all the time cos I think it looks cool while I'm climbing a hill and cant be arsed putting the bidon back in my jersey.

It is also fun to spray people in the face with your bidon when they least expect it and for no apparent reason.

Xlab and any/all triathlon bottle holders that attach from the back of your saddle are banned in Australia. In Victoria you receive on the spot $180 fines. So be careful.