Opinions on versatile bike

David L. Johnson says...

> I think you can use a road bike for what you are talking about. I've used
> mine on rides with miles of gravel, with no real problems aside from it
> getting dirty. If you take reasonable care, occasional dirt roads are
> not a problem. You might occasionally cut a tire, but you can do that on
> any bike.
>
> Just about all road bikes can take tires that are (real measurement) 25mm
> wide with substantial tread, like the Avocet Cross tire. Heck, I've used
> those tires on my track bike.
>
> Of course, a sport touring frame would allow even bigger tires, as would a
> cross bike, but a touring bike is more for loaded trips, and a cross bike
> is the original cross-country design (pre mountain bike). Neither of
> those sound like the riding you are doing.

How about a dirt road with a 1/2 mile 20% downhill grade? I already
have road bike and I only use 25's. I love it, but it isn't always the
best choice.

In article <[email protected]>, Fred
Barney <[email protected]> wrote:

> David L. Johnson says...
>

> How about a dirt road with a 1/2 mile 20% downhill grade? I already
> have road bike and I only use 25's. I love it, but it isn't always the
> best choice.

I used to ride a Steelman Eurocross down a 1.1-mile stretch of
indifferently maintained private gravel road that dropped 430-some feet;
the steepest bit, about a quarter-mile, is probably 15 percent or
thereabouts. Frankly, it's not much fun, even with 700x30 or 700x40
rubber. Got a bit easier once I added top-mounted brake levers to give me
a more upright position on the way down, but you still take a beating,
especially on washboard.

But if you're only doing that one ugly-ass half mile, a steel cyclo-cross
bike is a good all-rounder. It doesn't do anything perfectly -- outside of
racing cyclo-cross -- but it does pretty much everything acceptably.

Cheers,

Patrick O'Grady
Mad Dog Media
http://www.maddogmedia.com

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 14:25:00 -0500, Fred Barney wrote:

> b) Cyclocross
>
> c) Sport touring along the lines of a Rivendell Rambouillet

Thinking very correctly I believe.

Maybe something like a Surly Pacer frame with 28mm (handles wider w/o
fenders) tires and standard reach brakes might be worth looking into on
the lighter end of things.

The Cyclocross/Touring type bike's a winner, as you can change the flavour
of the bike simply by switching out the rubber.

If you know exactly what you want and enjoy affordable luddite tech, a
custom hearth-forged Mercian might be just the ticket.

Thorns might be worth a look. The bikes I mean. :p

Many other options, what does your local bike shop sell?

Rivs are very sexy, but you can get a bike with most of the same features
for half the cost if you don't want/need the fancy lugs and paint. Nice
bikes though, if you've got the coin.

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 17:43:24 -0500, Fred Barney wrote:

> How about a dirt road with a 1/2 mile 20% downhill grade? I already
> have road bike and I only use 25's. I love it, but it isn't always the
> best choice.

There simply are not that many dirt roads with 20% grades. The OP did not
indicate anything like that, just poor road surfaces.

But a 20% grade will simply not last that long, so it really should not be
the deciding factor in the bike choice, no matter what surface.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | The lottery is a tax on those who fail to understand
_`\(,_ | mathematics.
(_)/ (_) |

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 17:43:24 -0500, Fred Barney wrote:

> How about a dirt road with a 1/2 mile 20% downhill grade? I already
> have road bike and I only use 25's. I love it, but it isn't always the
> best choice.

There simply are not that many dirt roads with 20% grades. The OP did not
indicate anything like that, just poor road surfaces.

But a 20% grade will simply not last that long, so it really should not be
the deciding factor in the bike choice, no matter what surface.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | The lottery is a tax on those who fail to understand
_`\(,_ | mathematics.
(_)/ (_) |

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 17:43:24 -0500, Fred Barney wrote:

> How about a dirt road with a 1/2 mile 20% downhill grade? I already
> have road bike and I only use 25's. I love it, but it isn't always the
> best choice.

There simply are not that many dirt roads with 20% grades. The OP did not
indicate anything like that, just poor road surfaces.

But a 20% grade will simply not last that long, so it really should not be
the deciding factor in the bike choice, no matter what surface.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | The lottery is a tax on those who fail to understand
_`\(,_ | mathematics.
(_)/ (_) |

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 17:43:24 -0500, Fred Barney wrote:

> How about a dirt road with a 1/2 mile 20% downhill grade? I already
> have road bike and I only use 25's. I love it, but it isn't always the
> best choice.

There simply are not that many dirt roads with 20% grades. The OP did not
indicate anything like that, just poor road surfaces.

But a 20% grade will simply not last that long, so it really should not be
the deciding factor in the bike choice, no matter what surface.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | The lottery is a tax on those who fail to understand
_`\(,_ | mathematics.
(_)/ (_) |

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 17:43:24 -0500, Fred Barney wrote:

> How about a dirt road with a 1/2 mile 20% downhill grade? I already
> have road bike and I only use 25's. I love it, but it isn't always the
> best choice.

There simply are not that many dirt roads with 20% grades. The OP did not
indicate anything like that, just poor road surfaces.

But a 20% grade will simply not last that long, so it really should not be
the deciding factor in the bike choice, no matter what surface.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | The lottery is a tax on those who fail to understand
_`\(,_ | mathematics.
(_)/ (_) |

>Maybe something like a Surly Pacer

Rather than a cross bike.....why not just use a touring
bike such as Bruce Gordon model?

I'm asking rhetorically as I've faced same dilemma
myself. I mainly commute on my bike. But wish to do a
tour someday. Hence the indecision on what to buy.
Should it be a mt bike? A cross bike? A touring bike?
I can only afford to own ONE good bike so multiples
aren't the answer

I just wonder if you could buy a true touring bike and
put a set of 26" wheel and heavy duty tires on it. And
use it for abt anything?