Ronde van Vlaanderen 2006

whiteboytrash said:
What the ?

It's no April Fool's joke. The mayor - or burgermeister - of Grammont intends to ban the tossing of water bottles and other trash on the roadways in Sunday's Tour of Flanders. "I hope that Tom Boonen will be the first to lead by example," mayor Guido De Padt told Belgian newspaper La Dernière Heure.
"I'm appealing to the common sense of riders, [as] there will be no sanctions or fines," De Padt told the daily newspaper.

"How can young people understand that it's not good for the environment to toss anything and everything if they see riders doing it. On Saturday, there will be 13-thousand cyclotourists who will climb the Grammont and I can guarantee that afterward, the Muur and its surroundings will look like a bonafide public dump"
No doubt this is a ban that is intended for the 13 thousand cyclotourists.A mayor in Belgium would not do his legacy any good to insult Boonen in Belgium. And there is no excuse if you are a cyclotourist to litter.....

whiteboytrash said:
Boonen 'strongly denies' being sick

Contrary to earlier reports by his team director Rik Van Slijcke, defending Ronde van Vlaanderen champion Tom Boonen denies he's ill, saying that it's been a case of mitigating risk during 'training' at the Driedaagse van De Panne.

"I didn't want to take any risks in the lead up to the Tour of Flanders. Apparently everyone wants to win here and that causes serious wriggling," Boonen was quoted on Sport.be as saying, having failed to participate in the sprint finish for the second day running.

"My goal has been reached today. I could pull through two, three times, another test for Sunday. I hear people say I'm sick, but I strongly deny that. I'm having a bit of discomfort of the bronchial tubes, but that's it, nothing serious," he said.

Right, he's not sick and Jan's knee is fine.
Tom, BTW, the Easter Bunny is not real.

Like I said it doesnt matter, he will still win or create the winning move sick or not. The question is, will those assclowns in Discovery get caught out like they do every year or try something new.
Like last year, "We didnt think he'd go so far out, its too far to attack" and other stupid responses.

hombredesubaru said:
"We didnt think he'd go so far out, its too far to attack" and other stupid responses.
Like every other rider/teamr in the race......

wolfix said:
Like every other rider/teamr in the race......
In all seriousness, I still cannot believe he pulled off that attack last year. He went with 9k to go and attacked a six man group containing Klier, Zabel, Van Petegem, Ballan, and some dude from Fasso who I had not heard of. He attacked on the flats then just rode away from them to win by 35 seconds. If that group can't pull you back with no road features to slow them down, you are not to be taken lightly. I still saw him as more of a sprinter until that moment even with his win in Gent the year before. Now I figure he can do anything he wants. Sick???? We will see about that.

Yeah, I call that pretty sick........Boonen is unbelieveble good. You can say a lot of things about armstrong, but he always knew who was talented and he was ****** boonen bought himself out of the uspscontract. Still the best and wisest move boonen did in his career............because of that he could ride under the wings of the legendary Museeuw (yes doping or not, he still is a legend in belgium!).

barnstorm said:
In all seriousness, I still cannot believe he pulled off that attack last year. He went with 9k to go and attacked a six man group containing Klier, Zabel, Van Petegem, Ballan, and some dude from Fasso who I had not heard of. He attacked on the flats then just rode away from them to win by 35 seconds. If that group can't pull you back with no road features to slow them down, you are not to be taken lightly. I still saw him as more of a sprinter until that moment even with his win in Gent the year before. Now I figure he can do anything he wants. Sick???? We will see about that.

MJtje said:
Yeah, I call that pretty sick........Boonen is unbelieveble good. You can say a lot of things about armstrong, but he always knew who was talented and he was ****** boonen bought himself out of the uspscontract. Still the best and wisest move boonen did in his career............because of that he could ride under the wings of the legendary Museeuw (yes doping or not, he still is a legend in belgium!).
Boone is already a kind of "Patron" in the Belgium races (Klier said that) . I think Johan Museeuw learned him how to behave like a patron. By the way did you know that Museeuw is one of the officials of the UCI protour race Eneco Tour, i find that quit interesting because he is still suspended to be a team-manager (that's why he is Tom's private adviser..). The intresting point is that with the code of conduct it's forbidden for protour teams to give riders a contract in the first two years after their suspension but it doesn't seem to be a problem for the UCI that people work as an official for a protour race during a suspension..... Museeuw was interviewd at Sporza about the Eneco tour, he was one of the people who developed the route of the Eneco 2006 (tthe Belgium part of the Tour)....

By the way the 2004 winner of the Tour of Flanders won't start: Steffen Wesemann has the flu and will be replaced by André Korff.

cyclingheroes said:
Boone is already a kind of "Patron" in the Belgium races (Klier said that) . I think Johan Museeuw learned him how to behave like a patron. By the way did you know that Museeuw is one of the officials of the UCI protour race Eneco Tour, i find that quit interesting because he is still suspended to be a team-manager (that's why he is Tom's private adviser..). The intresting point is that with the code of conduct it's forbidden for protour teams to give riders a contract in the first two years after their suspension but it doesn't seem to be a problem for the UCI that people work as an official for a protour race during a suspension..... Museeuw was interviewd at Sporza about the Eneco tour, he was one of the people who developed the route of the Eneco 2006 (tthe Belgium part of the Tour)....

This sends out the wrong message - Museeuw shouldn't be allowed anywhere near the sport unless (and until) he has served his sentence.
I was a Museeuw fan at one time - I thought that his win at P-R after his terrible injury was great.
At the time, i didn't know that he was doping : now that we know that he was, the UCI should prohibit him from all participation.

As regards Boonen being a patron - I agree.
The man is the top one day rider right now and yes he is the Man.

USPS/DC really did screw up letting Tom walk away.
For Tom, it was the right move : Lefevere is a superb managers.
One of the best - he's up there with Guimard, Peter Post, I say.
Bruyneel doesn't rate alongside him.

limerickman said:
This sends out the wrong message - Museeuw shouldn't be allowed anywhere near the sport unless (and until) he has served his sentence.
I was a Museeuw fan at one time - I thought that his win at P-R after his terrible injury was great.
At the time, i didn't know that he was doping : now that we know that he was, the UCI should prohibit him from all participation.

As regards Boonen being a patron - I agree.
The man is the top one day rider right now and yes he is the Man.

USPS/DC really did screw up letting Tom walk away.
For Tom, it was the right move : Lefevere is a superb managers.
One of the best - he's up there with Guimard, Peter Post, I say.
Bruyneel doesn't rate alongside him.
Agreed. Discovery only had two wins in ProTour events last year. Boonen had 487 alone.

Yeah I knew that of Museeuw......conflict of interest!! I didn't know that Museeuw is tom's private adviser......I was wondering do you know who Boonen sees........is he a client of checcini or ferrari or some other doctor?

cyclingheroes said:

MJtje said:
I didn't know that Museeuw is tom's private adviser......
Well sort of. Officialy Museeuw is PR manager at Quickstep, but unofficially... At Eurosport they showed a feature about Boonen last year where Museeuw was speaking with Tom about the tactics for a race (i believe it was Paris-Roubaix), i also read some articles about that, it's well known that Museeuw was the one who made a classic champion out of Boonen, the UCI code of conduct is a joke.... You only get into trouble if you, like Danilo Hondo did, go to a civil court and you win the case. Than the UCI suddently speaks about the code of conduct...

This almost deserves a different thread but QuickStpe previewed the course and said the Koppenberg is not rideable, everyone had to walk up it.
Check our Eurosport.

http://www.eurosport.com/cycling/ronde-van-vlaanderen/2006/sport_sto860085.shtml

I wonder if Bettini will ask for a course change like he did in T-A.
Even Gilbert said people are wrong of they think he's exaggerating.
They say its the humidity and the fact that cobbles have loosened soince 2002...and for Sunday rain is predicted.

hombredesubaru said:
This almost deserves a different thread but QuickStpe previewed the course and said the Koppenberg is not rideable, everyone had to walk up it.
Check our Eurosport.

http://www.eurosport.com/cycling/ronde-van-vlaanderen/2006/sport_sto860085.shtml

I wonder if Bettini will ask for a course change like he did in T-A.
Even Gilbert said people are wrong of they think he's exaggerating.
They say its the humidity and the fact that cobbles have loosened soince 2002...and for Sunday rain is predicted.
funny, the koppenberg was what I was thinking about in that other thread about best summit finishes. Not a summit finish and a really short climb but it is the most entertaining single climb in cycling in my mind. It is just silly to try to climb that thing on a bike. The first time I ever watched the ronde, I was just amazed with it. So steep and so cobbled. I remember a rider going so slowly that he fell over against a tree on the side of the road, bounced off and kept going. Meanwhile, another rider was walking up with his bike at the same speed. I think Quick Step might be playing tactical games with these reports frankly.

barnstorm said:
funny, the koppenberg was what I was thinking about in that other thread about best summit finishes. Not a summit finish and a really short climb but it is the most entertaining single climb in cycling in my mind. It is just silly to try to climb that thing on a bike. The first time I ever watched the ronde, I was just amazed with it. So steep and so cobbled. I remember a rider going so slowly that he fell over against a tree on the side of the road, bounced off and kept going. Meanwhile, another rider was walking up with his bike at the same speed. I think Quick Step might be playing tactical games with these reports frankly.

The Koppenberg is only the 5th of 17 "hellingen" - and comes with 73km to go. There will surely be a fight to get in the top 20 or so riders up that beast, because of all the carnage that will surely follow.

DiabloScott said:
The Koppenberg is only the 5th of 17 "hellingen" - and comes with 73km to go. There will surely be a fight to get in the top 20 or so riders up that beast, because of all the carnage that will surely follow.
I know it's not very selective but it's so freakishly hard that it's really entertaining to watch. The GTs never have climbs that relegate pros to a walk... the koppenberg does just that. I probably couldn't even walk the damned thing without crampons and a belay.

Koppenberg climb canceled due to bad conditions and complains of QuickStep riders!

cyclingheroes said:
You mean on April 1?
Dude thats not funny...they released it on March 31...and stupid me took it seriously!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hombredesubaru said:
Dude thats not funny...they released it on March 31...and stupid me took it seriously!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
April Fool!:D

And CH, why did you have to spoil the party?;)