RR: San Juan Trail

Chris Glidden

Guest
My buddy Mike and I got to the trail head at around 9:00 AM. It
promised to be a great ride, temperatures were low (for So. Cal) and it
was a bit misty as we started our climb. Going up the lower
switchbacks I opted for the line outside of the ruts, taking the high
line on the exposed edge of the trail. This normally works fine for
me, but on this occassion I had a momentary lapse of concentration and
lost my balance. I started falling toward the drop off and as luck
would have it was not able to un clip from my outside pedal. I was
able to un clip from my inside pedal and hooked the trail as I was
going over the side, slowing me down enough so that Mike was able to
grab my hand as I was sliding down. My knee felt a bit wonky, but no
huge amounts of pain.

We continued the climb, enjoying the lack of traffic (mid-week ride)
and making pretty good time (for not riding much in the past six
months). Mike and I traded off taking the lead, not taking a break
until Cocktail rock. We continued to the top, refilling Camelbacks and
eating lunch.

And then the fun began. Again, taking turns in the lead we enjoyed the
variety of terrain to be had. Dodging through trees on the upper
section, battling through loose baby heads appraoching Cocktail rock,
the buff sand stone and of course the switchbacks at the bottom. All
in all a phenomenal ride. It was Mike's first climb of the SJT (he had
shuttled it once before), he swears he will never shuttle again.

The next day I could barely walk, my knee was in excrutiating pain. It
got better after a couple days, but as I sit here writing this a week
and one day after the fact I have a knee brace on and am still in
considerable pain. Not only the pain in my knee but also the pain of
not being able to ride in this beautiful weather we have been having
here in So. Cal. Hopefully the knee gets better very soon and the
weather stays as nice.

Ride one for me,

CG

Chris Glidden wrote:
> My buddy Mike and I got to the trail head at around 9:00 AM. It
> promised to be a great ride, temperatures were low (for So. Cal) and it
> was a bit misty as we started our climb. Going up the lower
> switchbacks I opted for the line outside of the ruts, taking the high
> line on the exposed edge of the trail. This normally works fine for
> me, but on this occassion I had a momentary lapse of concentration and
> lost my balance. I started falling toward the drop off and as luck
> would have it was not able to un clip from my outside pedal. I was
> able to un clip from my inside pedal and hooked the trail as I was
> going over the side, slowing me down enough so that Mike was able to
> grab my hand as I was sliding down. My knee felt a bit wonky, but no
> huge amounts of pain.

That's scary. Been watching the Miles video lately?

> We continued the climb, enjoying the lack of traffic (mid-week ride)
> and making pretty good time (for not riding much in the past six
> months). Mike and I traded off taking the lead, not taking a break
> until Cocktail rock. We continued to the top, refilling Camelbacks and
> eating lunch.
>
> And then the fun began. Again, taking turns in the lead we enjoyed the
> variety of terrain to be had. Dodging through trees on the upper
> section, battling through loose baby heads appraoching Cocktail rock,
> the buff sand stone and of course the switchbacks at the bottom. All
> in all a phenomenal ride. It was Mike's first climb of the SJT (he had
> shuttled it once before), he swears he will never shuttle again.
>
> The next day I could barely walk, my knee was in excrutiating pain. It
> got better after a couple days, but as I sit here writing this a week
> and one day after the fact I have a knee brace on and am still in
> considerable pain. Not only the pain in my knee but also the pain of
> not being able to ride in this beautiful weather we have been having
> here in So. Cal. Hopefully the knee gets better very soon and the
> weather stays as nice.
>
> Ride one for me,
>
> CG

Hope the knee heals up soon.
That trail sounds like such and adventure. I'm going to have to ride it
some day.

Matt

"MattB" <[email protected]> wrote >>

> Hope the knee heals up soon.
> That trail sounds like such and adventure. I'm going to have to ride it
> some day.
>
> Matt

Thanks, me too. It definitely is an adventure, one of my all time
favorites. The day you make out here to ride it I am sure there will be a
huge AM-B contingent to ride it with you.

Take care Matt,

CG

"Chris Glidden" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> My buddy Mike and I got to the trail head at around 9:00 AM. It
> promised to be a great ride, temperatures were low (for So. Cal) and it
> was a bit misty as we started our climb. Going up the lower
> switchbacks I opted for the line outside of the ruts, taking the high
> line on the exposed edge of the trail. This normally works fine for
> me, but on this occassion I had a momentary lapse of concentration and
> lost my balance. I started falling toward the drop off and as luck
> would have it was not able to un clip from my outside pedal. I was
> able to un clip from my inside pedal and hooked the trail as I was
> going over the side, slowing me down enough so that Mike was able to
> grab my hand as I was sliding down. My knee felt a bit wonky, but no
> huge amounts of pain.
>
> We continued the climb, enjoying the lack of traffic (mid-week ride)
> and making pretty good time (for not riding much in the past six
> months). Mike and I traded off taking the lead, not taking a break
> until Cocktail rock. We continued to the top, refilling Camelbacks and
> eating lunch.
>
> And then the fun began. Again, taking turns in the lead we enjoyed the
> variety of terrain to be had. Dodging through trees on the upper
> section, battling through loose baby heads appraoching Cocktail rock,
> the buff sand stone and of course the switchbacks at the bottom. All
> in all a phenomenal ride. It was Mike's first climb of the SJT (he had
> shuttled it once before), he swears he will never shuttle again.
>
> The next day I could barely walk, my knee was in excrutiating pain. It
> got better after a couple days, but as I sit here writing this a week
> and one day after the fact I have a knee brace on and am still in
> considerable pain. Not only the pain in my knee but also the pain of
> not being able to ride in this beautiful weather we have been having
> here in So. Cal. Hopefully the knee gets better very soon and the
> weather stays as nice.
>
> Ride one for me,
>
> CG

I do not think I have ever been on San Juan Trail and not left some DNA
behind. If it is not the bushes then it is me eating it due to my lack of
skills. I can clean more of the switchbacks go up than going down. I know
it is the fear factor.

"Dean A. Stepper" <[email protected]> wrote >
> I do not think I have ever been on San Juan Trail and not left some DNA
> behind. If it is not the bushes then it is me eating it due to my lack of
> skills. I can clean more of the switchbacks go up than going down. I
> know it is the fear factor.

I know what you mean. Some of the switchbacks towards the top are really
gnarly, either a gnarly drop off or some nasty rocks to contend with. But
you gotta love it.

CG

Dean A. Stepper wrote:
> "Chris Glidden" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> My buddy Mike and I got to the trail head at around 9:00 AM. It
>> promised to be a great ride, temperatures were low (for So. Cal) and it
>> was a bit misty as we started our climb. Going up the lower
>> switchbacks I opted for the line outside of the ruts, taking the high
>> line on the exposed edge of the trail. This normally works fine for
>> me, but on this occassion I had a momentary lapse of concentration and
>> lost my balance. I started falling toward the drop off and as luck
>> would have it was not able to un clip from my outside pedal. I was
>> able to un clip from my inside pedal and hooked the trail as I was
>> going over the side, slowing me down enough so that Mike was able to
>> grab my hand as I was sliding down. My knee felt a bit wonky, but no
>> huge amounts of pain.
>>
>> We continued the climb, enjoying the lack of traffic (mid-week ride)
>> and making pretty good time (for not riding much in the past six
>> months). Mike and I traded off taking the lead, not taking a break
>> until Cocktail rock. We continued to the top, refilling Camelbacks and
>> eating lunch.
>>
>> And then the fun began. Again, taking turns in the lead we enjoyed the
>> variety of terrain to be had. Dodging through trees on the upper
>> section, battling through loose baby heads appraoching Cocktail rock,
>> the buff sand stone and of course the switchbacks at the bottom. All
>> in all a phenomenal ride. It was Mike's first climb of the SJT (he had
>> shuttled it once before), he swears he will never shuttle again.
>>
>> The next day I could barely walk, my knee was in excrutiating pain. It
>> got better after a couple days, but as I sit here writing this a week
>> and one day after the fact I have a knee brace on and am still in
>> considerable pain. Not only the pain in my knee but also the pain of
>> not being able to ride in this beautiful weather we have been having
>> here in So. Cal. Hopefully the knee gets better very soon and the
>> weather stays as nice.
>>
>> Ride one for me,
>>
>> CG
>>

> I do not think I have ever been on San Juan Trail and not left some DNA
> behind. If it is not the bushes then it is me eating it due to my lack of
> skills. I can clean more of the switchbacks go up than going down. I know
> it is the fear factor.

Where was everyone when I had to do it... alone!

I've said it before, that place scares me more than any trail I've ever
been on.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

Ride-A-Lot wrote:
> Dean A. Stepper wrote:

>> I do not think I have ever been on San Juan Trail and not left some
>> DNA behind. If it is not the bushes then it is me eating it due to my
>> lack of skills. I can clean more of the switchbacks go up than going
>> down. I know it is the fear factor.
>>

> Where was everyone when I had to do it... alone!
>
> I've said it before, that place scares me more than any trail I've ever
> been on.

We were riding the kiddie trails :)
_____
Slack

Chris Glidden wrote:
> My buddy Mike and I got to the trail head at around 9:00 AM. It
> promised to be a great ride, temperatures were low (for So. Cal) and it
> was a bit misty as we started our climb. Going up the lower
> switchbacks I opted for the line outside of the ruts, taking the high
> line on the exposed edge of the trail. This normally works fine for
> me, but on this occassion I had a momentary lapse of concentration and
> lost my balance. I started falling toward the drop off and as luck
> would have it was not able to un clip from my outside pedal. I was
> able to un clip from my inside pedal and hooked the trail as I was
> going over the side, slowing me down enough so that Mike was able to
> grab my hand as I was sliding down. My knee felt a bit wonky, but no
> huge amounts of pain.
>
> We continued the climb, enjoying the lack of traffic (mid-week ride)
> and making pretty good time (for not riding much in the past six
> months). Mike and I traded off taking the lead, not taking a break
> until Cocktail rock. We continued to the top, refilling Camelbacks and
> eating lunch.
>
> And then the fun began. Again, taking turns in the lead we enjoyed the
> variety of terrain to be had. Dodging through trees on the upper
> section, battling through loose baby heads appraoching Cocktail rock,
> the buff sand stone and of course the switchbacks at the bottom. All
> in all a phenomenal ride. It was Mike's first climb of the SJT (he had
> shuttled it once before), he swears he will never shuttle again.
>
> The next day I could barely walk, my knee was in excrutiating pain. It
> got better after a couple days, but as I sit here writing this a week
> and one day after the fact I have a knee brace on and am still in
> considerable pain. Not only the pain in my knee but also the pain of
> not being able to ride in this beautiful weather we have been having
> here in So. Cal. Hopefully the knee gets better very soon and the
> weather stays as nice.
>
> Ride one for me,
>
> CG

Don't wait; get that knee checked out now. Hopefully, it's nothing
serious, but better safe than sorry. It's not like you can't afford the
doctor's bill :p

Cool R&R
_____
Slack

Slack™ wrote:
> Ride-A-Lot wrote:
>> Dean A. Stepper wrote:

>>> I do not think I have ever been on San Juan Trail and not left some
>>> DNA behind. If it is not the bushes then it is me eating it due to
>>> my lack of skills. I can clean more of the switchbacks go up than
>>> going down. I know it is the fear factor.
>>>

>> Where was everyone when I had to do it... alone!
>>
>> I've said it before, that place scares me more than any trail I've
>> ever been on.
>>

> We were riding the kiddie trails :)
> _____
> Slack

And I would have even shuttled you to the top :D

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

Chris Glidden wrote:
> My buddy Mike and I got to the trail head at around 9:00 AM. It
> promised to be a great ride, temperatures were low (for So. Cal) and it
> was a bit misty as we started our climb. Going up the lower
> switchbacks I opted for the line outside of the ruts, taking the high
> line on the exposed edge of the trail. This normally works fine for
> me, but on this occassion I had a momentary lapse of concentration and
> lost my balance. I started falling toward the drop off and as luck
> would have it was not able to un clip from my outside pedal. I was
> able to un clip from my inside pedal and hooked the trail as I was
> going over the side, slowing me down enough so that Mike was able to
> grab my hand as I was sliding down. My knee felt a bit wonky, but no
> huge amounts of pain.

You were fortunate to not have been rag-dolled.

I would only ride that mess on a weekday, looking at mtbidiots and all
of the clones who ride it all of the time. It's kind of sad, funny and
fortunate that so many people find the SJT so "*****in". Sad because
they don't know any better, funny because they are so pigeon-holed into
it that they can't ride for **** anywhere else and fortunate that those
barneys don't wreck other trails.

JD

"Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Dean A. Stepper wrote:
>> "Chris Glidden" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>> My buddy Mike and I got to the trail head at around 9:00 AM. It
>>> promised to be a great ride, temperatures were low (for So. Cal) and it
>>> was a bit misty as we started our climb. Going up the lower
>>> switchbacks I opted for the line outside of the ruts, taking the high
>>> line on the exposed edge of the trail. This normally works fine for
>>> me, but on this occassion I had a momentary lapse of concentration and
>>> lost my balance. I started falling toward the drop off and as luck
>>> would have it was not able to un clip from my outside pedal. I was
>>> able to un clip from my inside pedal and hooked the trail as I was
>>> going over the side, slowing me down enough so that Mike was able to
>>> grab my hand as I was sliding down. My knee felt a bit wonky, but no
>>> huge amounts of pain.
>>>
>>> We continued the climb, enjoying the lack of traffic (mid-week ride)
>>> and making pretty good time (for not riding much in the past six
>>> months). Mike and I traded off taking the lead, not taking a break
>>> until Cocktail rock. We continued to the top, refilling Camelbacks and
>>> eating lunch.
>>>
>>> And then the fun began. Again, taking turns in the lead we enjoyed the
>>> variety of terrain to be had. Dodging through trees on the upper
>>> section, battling through loose baby heads appraoching Cocktail rock,
>>> the buff sand stone and of course the switchbacks at the bottom. All
>>> in all a phenomenal ride. It was Mike's first climb of the SJT (he had
>>> shuttled it once before), he swears he will never shuttle again.
>>>
>>> The next day I could barely walk, my knee was in excrutiating pain. It
>>> got better after a couple days, but as I sit here writing this a week
>>> and one day after the fact I have a knee brace on and am still in
>>> considerable pain. Not only the pain in my knee but also the pain of
>>> not being able to ride in this beautiful weather we have been having
>>> here in So. Cal. Hopefully the knee gets better very soon and the
>>> weather stays as nice.
>>>
>>> Ride one for me,
>>>
>>> CG
>>>

>> I do not think I have ever been on San Juan Trail and not left some DNA
>> behind. If it is not the bushes then it is me eating it due to my lack
>> of skills. I can clean more of the switchbacks go up than going down. I
>> know it is the fear factor.

> Where was everyone when I had to do it... alone!
>
> I've said it before, that place scares me more than any trail I've ever
> been on.
>
> --
> o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
> www.schnauzers.ws

Middle Sam Merrill in the San Gabriel's scares me more.

Dean A. Stepper wrote:
> Middle Sam Merrill in the San Gabriel's scares me more.

With that in mind, I don't think RAL would like a lot of my favorite
Western CO rides.

JD

"Slack™" <"Slack\"@½³.org"> wrote >
> Don't wait; get that knee checked out now. Hopefully, it's nothing
> serious, but better safe than sorry. It's not like you can't afford the
> doctor's bill :p
>
> Cool R&R
> _____
> Slack

I guess I'll probably go to the doc tomorrow. It's not getting much
better.

CG

Dean A. Stepper wrote:
> "Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Where was everyone when I had to do it... alone!
>>
>>I've said it before, that place scares me more than any trail I've ever
>>been on.
>>
>>--

> Middle Sam Merrill in the San Gabriel's scares me more.

That's for sure. And Condor Peak Trail, or actually lack of trail,
along the flanks of Fox Mountain scares me even more than Middle Sam
Merrill. Although, Middle Sam Merrill is probably the scariest trail
locally that I would routinely ride. I won't be revisiting Fox Mountain
for quite some time.

I'm surprised that Mr Ride-A-Lot hasn't encountered anything scarier
than SJT in all his Colorado, Idaho, and Arizona travels.

Greg

--
"All my time I spent in heaven
Revelries of dance and wine

> Dean A. Stepper wrote:
>> "Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>
>>>Where was everyone when I had to do it... alone!
>>>
>>>I've said it before, that place scares me more than any trail I've ever
>>>been on.
>>>
>>>--

>> Middle Sam Merrill in the San Gabriel's scares me more.

> That's for sure. And Condor Peak Trail, or actually lack of trail, along
> the flanks of Fox Mountain scares me even more than Middle Sam Merrill.
> Although, Middle Sam Merrill is probably the scariest trail locally that I
> would routinely ride. I won't be revisiting Fox Mountain for quite some
> time.
>
> I'm surprised that Mr Ride-A-Lot hasn't encountered anything scarier than
> SJT in all his Colorado, Idaho, and Arizona travels.
>
> Greg

I think a lot has to do with the "penalty for failure" potential. If there
is exposure then it's much scarier to me though it may not be as difficult
as another trail. I choose to walk more than others.......and when I don't
I usually crash because I stiffen up from fear I'll crash...which I do so
often!

Gary (it's getting easier to type now!)

GeeDubb wrote:

> "G.T." <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>> Dean A. Stepper wrote:
>>
>>> "Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]...

>>> Middle Sam Merrill in the San Gabriel's scares me more.

>> That's for sure. And Condor Peak Trail, or actually lack of trail,
>> along the flanks of Fox Mountain scares me even more than Middle Sam
>> Merrill. Although, Middle Sam Merrill is probably the scariest trail
>> locally that I would routinely ride. I won't be revisiting Fox
>> Mountain for quite some time.
>>
>> I'm surprised that Mr Ride-A-Lot hasn't encountered anything scarier
>> than SJT in all his Colorado, Idaho, and Arizona travels.
>>
>> Greg

> I think a lot has to do with the "penalty for failure" potential. If
> there is exposure then it's much scarier to me though it may not be as
> difficult as another trail. I choose to walk more than
> others.......and when I don't I usually crash because I stiffen up from
> fear I'll crash...which I do so often!

The 3 trails above have significant amounts of exposure. SJT is
generally wide and not too techy in the exposed areas. Middle Sam
Merrill is very narrow and very rocky with bigger drops in the exposed
areas. And Condor Peak Trail is fairly non-technical but the trail is
non-existent in places, I have very poor balance off the bike so trying
to carry my bike across the sections where there is no trail was
extremely frightening, and the sections that were rideable were narrow
with HUGE drops.

> Gary (it's getting easier to type now!)

Nice!

Greg

--

G.T. wrote:
> Dean A. Stepper wrote:
>> "Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>
>>> Where was everyone when I had to do it... alone!
>>>
>>> I've said it before, that place scares me more than any trail I've
>>> ever been on.
>>>
>>> --

>> Middle Sam Merrill in the San Gabriel's scares me more.

> That's for sure. And Condor Peak Trail, or actually lack of trail,
> along the flanks of Fox Mountain scares me even more than Middle Sam
> Merrill. Although, Middle Sam Merrill is probably the scariest trail
> locally that I would routinely ride. I won't be revisiting Fox Mountain
> for quite some time.
>
> I'm surprised that Mr Ride-A-Lot hasn't encountered anything scarier
> than SJT in all his Colorado, Idaho, and Arizona travels.
>
> Greg

As Gary said, it's the exposure that gets me. I don't mind drops and
such but if I get off the bike I like to have a place to put my feet
down. I didn't run into anything in Idaho that was that bad. Even the
stuff on the side of the mountain wasn't overly exposed. Yeh, you could
fall, but it would be a roll down the hill and not a plummet as on SJT.
National in Arizona would just hurt going OTB. Again, lots of drops
but I don't remember being overly exposed.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

Ride-A-Lot wrote:

> As Gary said, it's the exposure that gets me. I don't mind drops and
> such but if I get off the bike I like to have a place to put my feet
> down. I didn't run into anything in Idaho that was that bad. Even the
> stuff on the side of the mountain wasn't overly exposed. Yeh, you could
> fall, but it would be a roll down the hill and not a plummet as on SJT.
> National in Arizona would just hurt going OTB. Again, lots of drops
> but I don't remember being overly exposed.

Well, if you, me, GeeDub, and Mr Stepper ever get together here in the
San Gabriels we can have a fear of exposure group therapy session on Sam
Merrill. JD can join us and offer encouragement.

Greg
--
"All my time I spent in heaven
Revelries of dance and wine
Waking to the sound of laughter

> Ride-A-Lot wrote:
>>

>> As Gary said, it's the exposure that gets me. I don't mind drops and
>> such but if I get off the bike I like to have a place to put my feet
>> down. I didn't run into anything in Idaho that was that bad. Even the
>> stuff on the side of the mountain wasn't overly exposed. Yeh, you could
>> fall, but it would be a roll down the hill and not a plummet as on SJT.
>> National in Arizona would just hurt going OTB. Again, lots of drops but
>> I don't remember being overly exposed.
>>

> Well, if you, me, GeeDub, and Mr Stepper ever get together here in the San
> Gabriels we can have a fear of exposure group therapy session on Sam
> Merrill. JD can join us and offer encouragement.
>
> Greg
> --
> "All my time I spent in heaven
> Revelries of dance and wine
> Waking to the sound of laughter
> Up I'd rise and kiss the sky" - The Mekons

Well we might as well through Strawberry Peak in there for the pure exposure
pucker power effect.

San Juan does not scare me, for the most part it has bushes to grab onto
when you go off the trail. It is those slide areas in the San Gabriel's:
if you go off the trail you are not going to stop rolling for a long
time...nothing to stop your fall..if that doesn't get you then all the
granite rocks following you down will.