Selecting a Camel-Bak, and possibly a GPS

> "Technician" wrote:
>
> > As it has a funny smell, and the bite valve tastes a little funny, i will rinse it out (usually
> > a good idea anyway for new drinking/food containers).
>
> Soak it overnight with a quarter cup of baking soda, filled with water. Rinse well the next day. I
> think that's even in the booklet. If you don't do that I hope you like plastic-tasting water...
>
> -will

Yeah, i'll have to do that. just a rinse didn't fix it.

the booklet just says..
1. Pinch and roll (bite valve) to open. DO NOT CUT.
2. Unscrew cap. Fill with water. Add ice if desired.
3. Seal cap and reinsert into pack.
4. Bite and sip (bite valve) to drink.
5. Store extra tubing inside pack.
6. Secures loose webbing (spelling typo i think).

it's not until you read the cleaning instructions that it says to use "2 tsps + water" of baking
soda to freshen, and "2 tsps + water" of bleash to sanitize. personally, i think the order should be
reversed as i dislike the taste of bleach.

A few things i noticed. what is the foam disk in the reservoir? i thought maybe it was to protect
the bag from the cap edge, but it falls down. so i thought maybe it was an anti-collapse system for
the outlet, but it floats to the top, and does not allow water to pass anyway. so what is it?

One thing they should add is an anti-collapse layer inside the bag. just a material that does not
collapse under a vacuum, and allows water to pass through un-obstructed. this way when the water
gets down, you don't bust a cheek trying to get that last bit of water out.

And that reminds me, regardless of a drying rack, i don't think there is any way you get that last
bit of water out to allow it to dry (i think i saw some posts about this a while back). oh well,
i'll get to soaking it and worry about drying it tomorrow.

~Travis
--
travis57 at megalink dot net

http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/mtty.mp3

On Tue, 6 May 2003 12:54:46 -0400, Technician <[email protected]> wrote:

> > For basic rides, I use a 2001 model "Rocket." I like the baffled bladder (lies flatter when the
> > water gets low) and it has just the right amount of storage for me (not a lot, but will hold
> > everything I need.) If I want to carry more, I converted a $10 day-pack I found at Old Navy,
> > sewing in a sleeve from one of those off-brand packs. Total cost, about $40 plus some sewing
> > time, compared to over $100 for a HAWG.
> >

> But cost isn't really a problem.
>
> I kind of like the sound of the baffled reservoir, though that can be purchased separately.

baffles? flatter? Just remove the air from the reservoir before riding. It goes flat as it empties.
--
Dan Langille resume: http://www.langille.org/

On Tue, 06 May 2003 17:46:31 GMT, "El Barista" <[email protected]> wrote:

> I keep my phone stashed inside my rear pocket with the ringer turned off for emergency use only. I
> only pull it out and turn it on if the group gets separated at one of the longer trails and I'm
> riding with people that don't know it well.

I find that FSR radios are better for this.
--
Dan Langille resume: http://www.langille.org/

In article <[email protected]>, usenet02
@YEAH.RIGHT.dvl-software.com.invalid says...
> On Tue, 6 May 2003 12:54:46 -0400, Technician <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > > For basic rides, I use a 2001 model "Rocket." I like the baffled bladder (lies flatter when
> > > the water gets low) and it has just the right amount of storage for me (not a lot, but will
> > > hold everything I need.) If I want to carry more, I converted a $10 day-pack I found at Old
> > > Navy, sewing in a sleeve from one of those off-brand packs. Total cost, about $40 plus some
> > > sewing time, compared to over $100 for a HAWG.
> > >

> > But cost isn't really a problem.
> >
> > I kind of like the sound of the baffled reservoir, though that can be purchased separately.
>
> baffles? flatter? Just remove the air from the reservoir before riding. It goes flat as it
> empties.

Yeah, i just realized that.
--

Penny S. wrote:

>>>However...I still carry an extra water bottle (or 2) for any ride more than 10 miles because I
>>>will drain that pack.
>>
>>Anything over 10 miles?! What, are your breasts reservoirs, or something?
>

> hydrate or die.

Catchy. Someone should use that as an advertising logo...

On Tue, 6 May 2003 11:52:56 -0400, Technician wrote:

> now, assuming the top cost selection above, and that my LBS sells it for that cost, plus the 5%
> tax, that leaves me with $114. so my next question, is there a mapping GPS unit (with download to
> PC mapping software) availible for that price (taking shipping/tax into account)?

Given your funding situation, I'd spend the money on riding stuff rather than a GPS. I mean
really, how many trails are you going to map? I'm in the process of mapping out some local trails,
but I'm using a borrowed GPS. The half-dozen trails I'll map out simply aren't worth the money to
buy one myself.

There are some bike upgrades that you'll probably want; plus a good helmet is a helluva lot cooler
than a cheap one. Not to mention some good riding gear. Bike computers are kind of nice, and can be
had for $15. If you have enough left over, clipless pedals are nice.

BTW, the Mule is a good choice. It is, after all, the most popular model. I got a "Rocket", which
looks damn cool but doesn't hold enough water for longer rides. Plus, the bladder's leaking less
than a year later.

Dan Langille wrote:

> I find that FSR radios are better for this.

Yeah, we've talked about getting some but haven't bothered yet. I'm used to riding with my cell
phone anyway so a radio would be more accumulation. Radio would be better for some of the areas
where coverage is shoddy though.

-will

In article <[email protected]>, myarse247 @hotmail.com says...

> >>Anything over 10 miles?! What, are your breasts reservoirs, or something?
> >

> > hydrate or die.
>
> Catchy. Someone should use that as an advertising logo...

Like CamelBak?

--

BB wrote:
> On Tue, 6 May 2003 11:52:56 -0400, Technician wrote:
>
>> now, assuming the top cost selection above, and that my LBS sells it for that cost, plus the 5%
>> tax, that leaves me with $114. so my next question, is there a mapping GPS unit (with download to
>> PC mapping software) availible for that price (taking shipping/tax into account)?
>
> Given your funding situation, I'd spend the money on riding stuff rather than a GPS. I mean
> really, how many trails are you going to map? I'm in the process of mapping out some local trails,
> but I'm using a borrowed GPS. The half-dozen trails I'll map out simply aren't worth the money to
> buy one myself.

no kidding, a GPS is definately in the not necessary catergory. Our excuse us that Craig is on a
search and rescue commitee for the ski patrol, and they exchange data with the sheriff's dept, and
he's in charge of mapping out drainages where dilweeds tend to make wrong turns.

You could save on a camel back too... a couple of 20 oz water bottles and a couple of metal cages
would leave you a lot left over for truly useful stuff. I know, thank you gifts for all the guys who
sent you free stuff....

penny

Technician wrote:

> it's not until you read the cleaning instructions that it says to use "2 tsps + water" of baking
> soda to freshen, and "2 tsps + water" of bleash to sanitize. personally, i think the order should
> be reversed as i dislike the taste of bleach.

That's not ordered, that's just two options. You don't need to freshen then sanitize. Make sure to
rinse well after using bleach...

> A few things i noticed. what is the foam disk in the reservoir?

I have the old style bladder, not the Omega, so I don't know about any foam disc. It's not somethat
that's supposed to be removed before use maybe?

> One thing they should add is an anti-collapse layer inside the bag. just a material that does not
> collapse under a vacuum, and allows water to pass through un-obstructed. this way when the water
> gets down, you don't bust a cheek trying to get that last bit of water out.

Don't follow you here. If the bag doesn't collapse you'll have to let air in or you'll develop a
vacuum and not get anything out.

> And that reminds me, regardless of a drying rack, i don't think there is any way you get that last
> bit of water out to allow it to dry

Don't worry about drying it. If you ride more than a couple of times a month it isn't going to
matter anyway.

-will

Dan Langille wrote:
> On Tue, 06 May 2003 17:46:31 GMT, "El Barista" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> I keep my phone stashed inside my rear pocket with the ringer turned off for emergency use only.
>> I only pull it out and turn it on if the group gets separated at one of the longer trails and I'm
>> riding with people that don't know it well.
>
> I find that FSR radios are better for this.

you call each other while on the same ride? that's just too much. I'm with Dan L for talkabouts if
you must have communication...

Penny

El Barista wrote:
> Dan Langille wrote:
>
>> I find that FSR radios are better for this.
>
> Yeah, we've talked about getting some but haven't bothered yet. I'm used to riding with my cell
> phone anyway so a radio would be more accumulation. Radio would be better for some of the areas
> where coverage is shoddy though.
>
> -will

two pack of cobras with all the sub channels at Costco for $89.

Penny

Penny S. wrote:

> you call each other while on the same ride? that's just too much. I'm with Dan L for talkabouts
> if you must have communication...

Only had to twice. We tend to end up breaking into two different ability groups and once lost a
group to a mechanical, another time we lost a guy somewhere in a 25 mile web of trails. Don't need
to chit-chat while riding, it's for emergency use.

-will

On Tue, 06 May 2003 13:40:19 -0700, bomba wrote:

> gabrielle wrote:
>
>> However...I still carry an extra water bottle (or 2) for any ride more than 10 miles because I
>> will drain that pack.
>
> Anything over 10 miles?! What, are your breasts reservoirs, or something?

<peals of laughter>

Nope, just rilly rilly thirsty.

gabrielle

El Barista wrote:
> Penny S. wrote:
>
>> you call each other while on the same ride? that's just too much. I'm with Dan L for talkabouts
>> if you must have communication...
>
> Only had to twice. We tend to end up breaking into two different ability groups and once lost a
> group to a mechanical, another time we lost a guy somewhere in a 25 mile web of trails. Don't need
> to chit-chat while riding, it's for emergency use.
>
> -will

I know that, just joshing ya...

ps

On Tue, 6 May 2003 15:08:57 -0700, Penny S. wrote:

> You could save on a camel back too... a couple of 20 oz water bottles and a couple of metal cages
> would leave you a lot left over for truly useful stuff.

I dunno, I'd put a hydration pak near the top of the list. Drinking from a dusty (or muddy) water
bottle is just nasty.

> Technician wrote:
>
> > it's not until you read the cleaning instructions that it says to use "2 tsps + water" of baking
> > soda to freshen, and "2 tsps + water" of bleash to sanitize. personally, i think the order
> > should be reversed as i dislike the taste of bleach.
>
> That's not ordered, that's just two options. You don't need to freshen then sanitize. Make sure to
> rinse well after using bleach...

Yeah, i kind of figured a good rinsing was in order.

> > A few things i noticed. what is the foam disk in the reservoir?
>
> I have the old style bladder, not the Omega, so I don't know about any foam disc. It's not
> somethat that's supposed to be removed before use maybe?

Could be, at least it's getting freshened now, LMAO :-D

> > One thing they should add is an anti-collapse layer inside the bag. just a material that does
> > not collapse under a vacuum, and allows water to pass through un-obstructed. this way when the
> > water gets down, you don't bust a cheek trying to get that last bit of water out.
>
> Don't follow you here. If the bag doesn't collapse you'll have to let air in or you'll develop a
> vacuum and not get anything out.

Ok, perhaps a better explanation, though perhaps it is all irrelevant anyway.

As you suck water out of the bag, it collapses. the outlet is above the bottom of the bag. when the
water level gets below the outlet, the suction pulls the other side of the bag toward the outlet and
seals it. an anti-collapse layer is a thin material that water will pass easily through, but will
not collapse. this would be placed opposite the outlet and down to the bottom of the bag. so when
the water gets below the outlet the anti-collapse layer will prevent it from sealing the outlet, and
will act as a straw to suck the last of the water out. perhaps this is not needed though?

> > And that reminds me, regardless of a drying rack, i don't think there is any way you get that
> > last bit of water out to allow it to dry
>
> Don't worry about drying it. If you ride more than a couple of times a month it isn't going to
> matter anyway.

Ahh, ok. so it may just be better to fill it and toss it in the fridge for storage, or whatever.

Now i'm curious about the foam disk though. maybe the CamelBak site has some wisdom to offer.
--
~Travis

travis57 at megalink dot net

http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/mtty.mp3

> On Tue, 6 May 2003 11:52:56 -0400, Technician wrote:
>
> > now, assuming the top cost selection above, and that my LBS sells it for that cost, plus the 5%
> > tax, that leaves me with $114. so my next question, is there a mapping GPS unit (with download
> > to PC mapping software) availible for that price (taking shipping/tax into account)?
>
> Given your funding situation, I'd spend the money on riding stuff rather than a GPS. I mean
> really, how many trails are you going to map? I'm in the process of mapping out some local trails,
> but I'm using a borrowed GPS. The half-dozen trails I'll map out simply aren't worth the money to
> buy one myself.
>
> There are some bike upgrades that you'll probably want; plus a good helmet is a helluva lot cooler
> than a cheap one. Not to mention some good riding gear. Bike computers are kind of nice, and can
> be had for $15. If you have enough left over, clipless pedals are nice.
>
> BTW, the Mule is a good choice. It is, after all, the most popular model. I got a "Rocket", which
> looks damn cool but doesn't hold enough water for longer rides. Plus, the bladder's leaking less
> than a year later.

Yeah, i gave up on the GPS. the extra money is temporarily sitting in my savings account collecting
$0.01 per month.

I may use it to buy things needed in the future, like tires, tubes, etc (or non-bike stuff like gas
to get to the trailhead of some distant trail).

I may get a new helmet. i already have a fairly good bike computer (tells me most of what i want to
know). I may see about a jersey and riding shorts (of the baggy kind, this is not a form fitting
kind of body). the old T-shirt and khaki shorts are not exactly prime bike wear.

At least whatever else i can get for the money i have. (minus the minimum balance, and the cost of
the needed front shifter, i am left with about $150.)

Plus i have to get a few minor items to stock my bak tool kit. a spare tire, a _metric_ allen
wrench set (preferably of the all-in-one fold-up style like my standard set). then i can get the
frame pump off of the frame, where i think it will rub and wear paint off (just a cheap one anyway,
but it so far has worked 100% of the time), or maybe replace it with a CO2 thing (more compact and
lighter anyway).

I'm sure my LBS will be seeing more of me. at least until the fed check runs out (still applying
most every where. got a few interviews, but nothing panned out).
--
~Travis

travis57 at megalink dot net

http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/mtty.mp3

> I know, thank you gifts for all the guys who sent you free stuff....

I offered between the two of them my Thomson seatpost that i can't use. neither of them took up on
the offer (or missed it). it is difficult to think of a give for somebody you have never met.

Though i happen to have a 4gb hard drive i can add to the grab bag if either wants/needs it for
extra storage. Plus a 533Mhz celeron and 128MB DDR SDRAM memory i don't have a motherboard for
anymore. and lets see, i have an unused Park Tool FR-5. I also have two extra video cards. an SiS
6326 AGP (w/ composite and S/Video out), and an SiS 305 16M AGP. I may be able to find more stuff,
but that's all i can think of off the top of my head that i have currently available.
--
~Travis

travis57 at megalink dot net

> On Tue, 6 May 2003 15:08:57 -0700, Penny S. wrote:
>
> > You could save on a camel back too... a couple of 20 oz water bottles and a couple of metal
> > cages would leave you a lot left over for truly useful stuff.
>
> I dunno, I'd put a hydration pak near the top of the list. Drinking from a dusty (or muddy) water
> bottle is just nasty.

That was kind of my thought too. and i wanted the storage of one as well. i figured, if i had the
money, i was going to buy at least one of the things i have wanted for quite some time now.