Selecting a Camel-Bak, and possibly a GPS

Status
Not open for further replies.
> > I was actually planning to. the second up compartment (between front pouch and middle exposed
> > compartment) looks big enough for a fairly sizable first-aid kit. Any recommendations for
> > contents?
>
> that is a whole other thread...... best not to take up here.
>

Ahh, how true. i'll start one then.

>
> >>The take a few dollars and join NEMBA or IMBA
> >>
> >
> >
> > I was planning a while back to join IMBA, guess now would be a good time to do it. At that same
> > time a while back, i was also looking at the bike patrol (had intentions of being an EMT at the
> > time). I'll go for just an IMBA membership, and see about getting the certifications for NMBP.
>
> All you need is current Red Cross Certification and IMBA Membership
>

<copied from site>
1. Current certification in basic first aid and CPR.
2. Successful completion of any of the following courses:
* A mountain bike patrol training course (taught by a local NMBP-affiliated group).
* A volunteer host training program (taught by local land manager).
* A ski area specific mountain bike patroller training (taught by a local ski area
management or ski patrol).

I can sign up for the CPR course at the hospital i belive. but where am i going to complete the
second requirement? I am not aware of any local NMBP members (is there a directory someplace?)

But then, this all assumes i can upgrade my membership once i get those certifications (impulse
strikes again).

>
>
> >>>It truly was not my intention to act in a selfish manor.
> >>OCD is a b!tch isn't it?
> > Not sure i follow the relation of that last statement.
>
> "Ohh Ohh I got a dolllar, I gotta go spend it!"
>
>

Ahh, i see. actually its more of a "Ohh Ohh, i can afford <insert item
here> now, i just gotta buy it while i still can".
same idea though.
--
~Travis

travis57 at megalink dot net

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
> "Technician" wrote:
>
> > As it has a funny smell, and the bite valve tastes a little funny, i will rinse it out (usually
> > a good idea anyway for new drinking/food containers).
>
> Soak it overnight with a quarter cup of baking soda, filled with water. Rinse well the next day. I
> think that's even in the booklet. If you don't do that I hope you like plastic-tasting water...
>
> -will
>
>
>

That did the trick. now it only tastes like good old town water, and that's pretty good actually,
because it's all drilled wells (no treatment necessary).

There is a very slight taste of baking soda and freezer (the freezer deodorizing box was all that
was available), but i figure after a few runs it will either clear out, or i will be used to it.
either way works out.
--
~Travis

El Barista wrote:
> Penny S. wrote:
>
>> I know that, just joshing ya...
>
> Sorry, the Luddites have me all defensive. Seems like you have to be a technophobe to be a "cool"
> rider on A.M-B these days...
>
> How's the weather up your ways anyway? I might be headed to Portland for some business work and
> will be bringing my bike if I do.
>
> -will

dunno... I"m five hours to the NE of Portland. Ask Blaine or Gabrielle

Penny

ClydesdaleMTB wrote:
>
> All you need is current Red Cross Certification and IMBA Membership
>
>

not OEC? mmmm too that's a reall excellent course that you should consider ( Outdoor Emergency Care,
National Ski Patrol) My guys get to do a class in high angle rescue this summer whoo hoo...

Penny

Technician wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] says...
>>
>> "Technician" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>
>>> It's just that you and Gary's subtle reactions to JD's post game me the impression you felt
>>> cheated.
>>
>> And I wasn't looking for anything in return either. Just need to think about your postings before
>> putting it out there for the rest of the world to see.
>>
>> Gary in VA
>>
>>
>>
>
> Yeah, apparently thinking is not one of my strong points. ;-)
>
> Hopefully i can do better in the future (contrary to some peoples opinions, who shall rename
> nameless, i really am trying to fit in as a normal member of AM-B).

helpful hint... please provide information on subjects that you actually are well informed in...
lame misinformation is well, lame. Wanting to help is a wonderful things but it's best to stick to
things that you have a basis in or experience with. Notice I comment on fabric or learning skills
but never on mechanical stuff.

just trying to help...

Penny

BB wrote:

> Portland's not exactly Penny's area; its a lot dryer up her way. Its a muddy mess here in
> Portland; we just had one of the wettest Aprils in history. Fireroads are rideable if you don't
> mind getting **** all over you, but it wouldn't be real good on the singletrack.

Figures. I keep seeing idyllic photos of singletrack with lush ferns and mossy trees. Far cry from
the dusty, scrub brush trails here in Texas. Well I have a little bit before I'd be heading up
there, hopefully things'll be better by then.

-will

> Technician wrote:
> > In article <[email protected]>, [email protected]
> > says...
> >>
> >> "Technician" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >>
> >>> It's just that you and Gary's subtle reactions to JD's post game me the impression you felt
> >>> cheated.
> >>
> >> And I wasn't looking for anything in return either. Just need to think about your postings
> >> before putting it out there for the rest of the world to see.
> >>
> >> Gary in VA
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >
> > Yeah, apparently thinking is not one of my strong points. ;-)
> >
> > Hopefully i can do better in the future (contrary to some peoples opinions, who shall rename
> > nameless, i really am trying to fit in as a normal member of AM-B).
>
> helpful hint... please provide information on subjects that you actually are well informed in...
> lame misinformation is well, lame. Wanting to help is a wonderful things but it's best to stick to
> things that you have a basis in or experience with. Notice I comment on fabric or learning skills
> but never on mechanical stuff.
>
> just trying to help...
>
> Penny
>
>
>

Yes, you pointed it out in the past, but i took it the wrong way and may have ignored it.

Though the point "stick to things that you have a basis in or experience with" is of more value,
simply because while i may have knowledge, i may have been misinformed as well.

I thank you for pointing it out again, as this time i was calm and collected enough to absorb, and
hopefully make use of the tip.
--
~Travis

On Wed, 07 May 2003 16:28:20 GMT, El Barista wrote:
> BB wrote:
>
>> Portland's not exactly Penny's area; its a lot dryer up her way. Its a muddy mess here in
>> Portland; we just had one of the wettest Aprils in history. Fireroads are rideable if you don't
>> mind getting **** all over you, but it wouldn't be real good on the singletrack.
>
> Figures. I keep seeing idyllic photos of singletrack with lush ferns and mossy trees. Far cry from
> the dusty, scrub brush trails here in Texas. Well I have a little bit before I'd be heading up
> there, hopefully things'll be better by then.

Either send me an e-mail or post here before you head up. We've had a lot more sun than predicted in
the past week. It'll hopefully start drying out over the next couple of weeks. If it does, you'll
need directions to trails (as there is no singletrack in town). Or maybe a guide. :)

--
-BB- To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail address, at least)

BB wrote:

> Either send me an e-mail or post here before you head up. We've had a lot more sun than predicted
> in the past week. It'll hopefully start drying out over the next couple of weeks. If it does,
> you'll need directions to trails (as there is no singletrack in town). Or maybe a guide. :)

Hey, thanks for the offer! I'll be sure to take you up on that when I find out what's going to
happen with this whole branch office thing.

-will

Penny S. wrote:
> ClydesdaleMTB wrote:
>
>>All you need is current Red Cross Certification and IMBA Membership
>>
>>
>
>
> not OEC?

pER: http://www.imba.com/nmbp/membership.html

There are two mandatory requirements for membership in the National Mountain Bike Patrol:

# Current certification in basic first aid and CPR. Successful completion of any of the
# following courses:
* A mountain bike patrol training course (taught by a local NMBP-affiliated group).
* A volunteer host training program (taught by local land manager).
* A ski area specific mountain bike patroller training (taught by a local ski area management
or ski patrol).

Technician wrote:

> Yeah, apparently thinking is not one of my strong points. ;-)

"DON'T THINK, DO!" -- Sensei jack

> i really am trying to fit in

THAT is the problem.

> as a normal member of AM-B).

Is there such a thing?

Technician wrote:

> but where am i going to complete the second requirement? I am not aware of any local NMBP members
> (is there a directory someplace?)

you can go here: http://www.imba.com/nmbp/patrols.html there is nothing in ME (yet) but I have it on
god authority that NH has a fine Patrol program....

(You just need to get to Bear Brook State Park in NH. :)

>
>
> Technician wrote:
>
> > but where am i going to complete the second requirement? I am not aware of any local NMBP
> > members (is there a directory someplace?)
>
>
> you can go here: http://www.imba.com/nmbp/patrols.html there is nothing in ME (yet) but I have it
> on god authority that NH has a fine Patrol program....
>
> (You just need to get to Bear Brook State Park in NH. :)
>
>

Hmm, i'm not sure my car can go that far (and get back). but then, it has been to florida and back
twice (previous owners).

Would certainly be one heck of a commute.
--
~Travis

ClydesdaleMTB <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
>
> Technician wrote:
>
> > Yeah, apparently thinking is not one of my strong points. ;-)
>
> "DON'T THINK, DO!" -- Sensei jack

Oh aye!

> > i really am trying to fit in
>
> THAT is the problem.

Trying is often the undoing of success.

> > as a normal member of AM-B).
>
> Is there such a thing?

Shaun aRe - normal as a cake fish.

Status