Selecting a Camel-Bak, and possibly a GPS

Status
Not open for further replies.
In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
> El Barista wrote:
> > Dan Langille wrote:
> >
> >> I find that FSR radios are better for this.
> >
> > Yeah, we've talked about getting some but haven't bothered yet. I'm used to riding with my cell
> > phone anyway so a radio would be more accumulation. Radio would be better for some of the areas
> > where coverage is shoddy though.
> >
> > -will
>
> two pack of cobras with all the sub channels at Costco for $89.
>
> Penny
>
>
>

Just keep in mind, it may say 2 miles, but if your in the woods, it is spotty over 1.5 miles, and if
one is just over the top of a hill, it fades out completely. they depend entirely on line-of-site.
similar to cellular. that's why cellular towers are placed so high, and there will usually be
several towers if your in hilly terrain.
--
~Travis

travis57 at megalink dot net

http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/mtty.mp3

"JD" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > "Technician" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > | I have narrowed it down to the Mule, BlowFish, or Hawg (MSRP of $80, $90, and $100,
> > | respectfully).
> > |
> > | current storage plane are simply a small tool kit to do away with the saddle bag ('cause it
> > | says Next on it). future plans are to buy a
video
> > | camera (digital or analog, not sure. must have an a/v input) so it
will
> > | need room for that, plus some padding. and i would like some space for
a
> > | few small'ish extras.
> > |
> > | Now, pictures, IMO, are worthless unless you can see them on
somebody...
> > | oh wait, scroll down on the camelbak.com site...
> > |
> > | Ok, i can see the mule looks rather small, the blowfish may be about right, and the hawg is
> > | big, but has compression straps to fix the
unused
> > | space problem.
> > |
> > | My federal check was $219 (i had to double check the return forms as i thought it was supposed
> > | to be $119), so cost is not really a problem.
> > |
> > | now, assuming the top cost selection above, and that my LBS sells it
for
> > | that cost, plus the 5% tax, that leaves me with $114. so my next question, is there a mapping
> > | GPS unit (with download to PC mapping software) availible for that price (taking shipping/tax
> > | into account)?
>
> Astounding, simply astounding. Why the hell anyone here gave your sorry ass anything is well
> beyond me. You sit and whine about your POS walgoose for a couple of years, yet you gab on and on
> about how great your computer **** is and how much you spend on it. "How about saving your money
> for a real bike" echoed throughout the ng, yet you made it clear that your techno **** was much
> more important than a bike. Sad ****. Next (pun intended), you proceed to make your POS bike even
> more crappy and unsafe and it generates a pity party that you either expected, or did not expect,
> though you reveled in it, taking free items from those who felt sorry enough for you to send them.
> NOW, you sit and plot how you can spend extra money on needless **** like a camcorder and GPS,
> including more computer interface techno **** that is completely needless. I have donated items
> FOC to more than a couple of AM-B denizens, however I would never even think of giving you the jam
> out of my big toe, you selfish little ****.
>
> JustDisgusted

Yeah really... And to think that I actually serious when I offered to send him a set of spare
wheels. I'm damn glad he didn't take me up on that offer because I found someplace that could use
them more. Those wheels and the other spare stuff I have including an old Maruishi ATB are going to
Back Alley bikes: http://www.freep.com/news/locway/gal2_20021202.htm

Technician wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
>> El Barista wrote:
>>> Dan Langille wrote:
>>>
>>>> I find that FSR radios are better for this.
>>>
>>> Yeah, we've talked about getting some but haven't bothered yet. I'm used to riding with my cell
>>> phone anyway so a radio would be more accumulation. Radio would be better for some of the areas
>>> where coverage is shoddy though.
>>>
>>> -will
>>
>> two pack of cobras with all the sub channels at Costco for $89.
>>
>> Penny
>>
>>
>>
>
> Just keep in mind, it may say 2 miles, but if your in the woods, it is spotty over 1.5 miles, and
> if one is just over the top of a hill, it fades out completely. they depend entirely on
> line-of-site. similar to cellular. that's why cellular towers are placed so high, and there will
> usually be several towers if your in hilly terrain.

Really. I am so glad you shared that rare knowledge.

> Technician wrote:
> > In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
> >> El Barista wrote:
> >>> Dan Langille wrote:
> >>>
> >>>> I find that FSR radios are better for this.
> >>>
> >>> Yeah, we've talked about getting some but haven't bothered yet. I'm used to riding with my
> >>> cell phone anyway so a radio would be more accumulation. Radio would be better for some of the
> >>> areas where coverage is shoddy though.
> >>>
> >>> -will
> >>
> >> two pack of cobras with all the sub channels at Costco for $89.
> >>
> >> Penny
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >
> > Just keep in mind, it may say 2 miles, but if your in the woods, it is spotty over 1.5 miles,
> > and if one is just over the top of a hill, it fades out completely. they depend entirely on
> > line-of-site. similar to cellular. that's why cellular towers are placed so high, and there will
> > usually be several towers if your in hilly terrain.
>
> Really. I am so glad you shared that rare knowledge.
>

See now why my parents call me "Mr. Wizard"? (provider of wisdom you either don't care about, or
already know.) ;-)
--
~Travis

http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/mtty.mp3

On Tue, 6 May 2003 11:52:56 -0400, Technician <[email protected]> wrote:

>I have narrowed it down to the Mule, BlowFish, or Hawg (MSRP of $80, $90, and $100, respectfully).
>
>current storage plane are simply a small tool kit to do away with the saddle bag ('cause it says
>Next on it). future plans are to buy a video camera (digital or analog, not sure. must have an a/v
>input) so it will need room for that, plus some padding. and i would like some space for a few
>small'ish extras.
>
>Now, pictures, IMO, are worthless unless you can see them on somebody... oh wait, scroll down on
>the camelbak.com site...
>
>Ok, i can see the mule looks rather small, the blowfish may be about right, and the hawg is big,
>but has compression straps to fix the unused space problem.
>
>My federal check was $219 (i had to double check the return forms as i thought it was supposed to
>be $119), so cost is not really a problem.
>
>now, assuming the top cost selection above, and that my LBS sells it for that cost, plus the 5%
>tax, that leaves me with $114. so my next question, is there a mapping GPS unit (with download to
>PC mapping software) availible for that price (taking shipping/tax into account)?
>
>If not, i'll just hang on to it for a while.
>
>~Travis

I have the Garmin eTrex (Basic Yellow) and the TOPO software, very satisfied. I have two
Camelbaks. I have a Rocket for racing and non-epic training rides. Small as hell, 70oz bladder and
just enough room for CO2, patch kit, spare tube, multitool, powerbar/gels, and of course, Duct
Tape. I also have a TransAlp and it is downright roomy with a 100oz Bladder. I can stuff all the
my video gear, jacket, lunch, a couple bottles of Gatoraide, etc.. Hell I could do an overnight
camping trip with this pack. Very comfortable and what I would consider a "Epic" pack. Can get for
$110 with some looking.

Bill Porter www.mountainbikebill.com

"Technician" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I have narrowed it down to the Mule, BlowFish, or Hawg (MSRP of $80, $90, and $100, respectfully).
>
> future plans are to buy a video camera
>
> is there a mapping GPS unit (with download to PC mapping software) availible for that price
> (taking shipping/tax into account)?

YGBSM!

Travis: Waaaa..I'm broke. I have a brokedick job, I think I'll kill myself Travis: I just spent
waaaay too much on a PC I didn't need and I'm not sure I know how to use. Travis: Waaa...I'm broke.
I have no money to upgrade my already POS Walgoose.

A.M-B: Hey...no prob, Trav. Here's a whole bunch of free stuff. Almost enough for a whole new bike.

Travis: Gee...thanks.

B.M-B: Think nothing of it

Travis: Whoa...I have a buck fifty burning a hole in my pocket. What new useless toys can I buy with
it? GPS? $100 waterbottle? What do you guys think?

Trav....I think you should spend that $219 on a resume service, or some classes, so you can get a
better job so you can move out of your parents house and have more money and not have to live off
the largesse of other kindly souls.

Don't buy the $100 camelbak. My $20 Target one has lasted 3 years and many thousand miles. Enough
room for a camera, batterypack, tools, H20, food, etc, etc..Still on the original bladder, with
no 'funk'.

I respect the need to buy 'quality' stuff. But if you are as truly broke as you always seem to
be....there are other priorities. Get a freakin JOB!

Pete

Technician wrote:

> Ok, i can see the mule looks rather small, the blowfish may be about right, and the hawg is big,
> but has compression straps to fix the unused space problem.

You got all that right. I have one of each of those listed, the Mule is WAY too small the Blowfish
is nice, the HAWG is _huge_ but doesn;t fel like it when wearing it. depedning on what I'm doing
where I'm riding I'll take either the Blowfish or H.A.W.G. (for Patrol duty where I'm carrying a
Level 1 first responder kit, only the HAWG will suffice.)

> My federal check was $219 (i had to double check the return forms as i thought it was supposed to
> be $119), so cost is not really a problem.

<cha....ching>

> now, assuming the top cost selection above, and that my LBS sells it for that cost, plus the 5%
> tax, that leaves me with $114. so my next question, is there a mapping GPS unit (with download to
> PC mapping software) availible for that price (taking shipping/tax into account)?

Do you want the ability to dowload USGS topo's tpo teh GPS or just upload tracks from it?

The Garmin eTrex is as basic as it gets and is pretty cheap $$$$ (about $120, chepaer used, etc. I
have one that served me for several years just fine.

If you are going ot "step up" look at the Garmin Legend $270'ish

> ~Travis

Nelson Binch wrote:
>
> Before plonking down some major coin on the name-brand stuff, check out Target and Wal-mart for
> their off-brand hydration packs.

Stitch for stith, they ARE Camel-Baks, with a cheaper bladder. I'm convinced tey comee of the same
assebly line just, with a different label sewn on.

Technician wrote:
> Cleaning brush kit

Not necessary ust keep it full of water and use it regularly.

> Big Bite valve (if they don't come with it)

They all do, now.

> Ergo Angle

ditto

> CommPocket (for my cell phone, perhaps a second if i get a GPS)

Comm pocket is NFG for GPS Your body blocks the signals keep the GPS in the mesh pocket in back

> I figure the drying rack can be fabricated,

A coat hanger works fine

> and there must be something to substitute the cleaning tabs (like baking soda perhaps).

see above re: cleaning brush

>
>
> Technician wrote:
>
> > Ok, i can see the mule looks rather small, the blowfish may be about right, and the hawg is big,
> > but has compression straps to fix the unused space problem.
>
> You got all that right. I have one of each of those listed, the Mule is WAY too small the Blowfish
> is nice, the HAWG is _huge_ but doesn;t fel like it when wearing it. depedning on what I'm doing
> where I'm riding I'll take either the Blowfish or H.A.W.G. (for Patrol duty where I'm carrying a
> Level 1 first responder kit, only the HAWG will suffice.)
>

Oh sure, now that i already bought the Mule ;-)

The Hawg, IMO, did look rather large for my needs. besides, if it turns out i need more, then when i
get a job i can upgrade to more storage.

>
>
> > My federal check was $219 (i had to double check the return forms as i thought it was supposed
> > to be $119), so cost is not really a problem.
>
> <cha....ching>
>
>
>
> > now, assuming the top cost selection above, and that my LBS sells it for that cost, plus the 5%
> > tax, that leaves me with $114. so my next question, is there a mapping GPS unit (with download
> > to PC mapping software) availible for that price (taking shipping/tax into account)?
>
> Do you want the ability to dowload USGS topo's tpo teh GPS or just upload tracks from it?
>
> The Garmin eTrex is as basic as it gets and is pretty cheap $$$$ (about $120, chepaer used, etc. I
> have one that served me for several years just fine.
>
> If you are going ot "step up" look at the Garmin Legend $270'ish
>
>

I've pretty much given up on the GPS for now, but i will keep the eTrex in mind for when one of
those applications i turned in results in a job. for now i'll just stay with the bak.
--
~Travis

Technician wrote:
> tracking is what i meant. just something i can ride the trails and generate a map somehow.

Garmin eTrex and the shareware package GarTrip http://www.gartrip.de/ (I happen host the US
Mirror site ;-)

"JD"
> Astounding, simply astounding. Why the hell anyone here gave your sorry ass anything is well
> beyond me. You sit and whine about your POS walgoose for a couple of years, yet you gab on and on
> about how great your computer **** is and how much you spend on it. "How about saving your money
> for a real bike" echoed throughout the ng, yet you made it clear that your techno **** was much
> more important than a bike. Sad ****. Next (pun intended), you proceed to make your POS bike even
> more crappy and unsafe and it generates a pity party that you either expected, or did not expect,
> though you reveled in it, taking free items from those who felt sorry enough for you to send them.
> NOW, you sit and plot how you can spend extra money on needless **** like a camcorder and GPS,
> including more computer interface techno **** that is completely needless. I have donated items
> FOC to more than a couple of AM-B denizens, however I would never even think of giving you the jam
>
> JustDisgusted
>

I'm just sitting here biting my tongue. What comes around goes around.

Gary in VA (fool me once...)

JD wrote:
>
> JustDisgusted

Pretty much how I see it, but too polite to say it.

>
> "JD"
> > Astounding, simply astounding. Why the hell anyone here gave your sorry ass anything is well
> > beyond me. You sit and whine about your POS walgoose for a couple of years, yet you gab on and
> > on about how great your computer **** is and how much you spend on it. "How about saving your
> > money for a real bike" echoed throughout the ng, yet you made it clear that your techno **** was
> > much more important than a bike. Sad ****. Next (pun intended), you proceed to make your POS
> > bike even more crappy and unsafe and it generates a pity party that you either expected, or did
> > not expect, though you reveled in it, taking free items from those who felt sorry enough for you
> > to send them. NOW, you sit and plot how you can spend extra money on needless **** like a
> > camcorder and GPS, including more computer interface techno **** that is completely needless. I
> > have donated items FOC to more than a couple of AM-B denizens, however I would never even think
> > of giving you the jam out of my big toe, you selfish little ****.
> >
> > JustDisgusted
> >
>
> I'm just sitting here biting my tongue. What comes around goes around.
>
> Gary in VA (fool me once...)
>
>
>

It wasn't my intention to fool anybody.

I have created a fairly sizable grab bag for you and Clyde to select as much, or as little as you
want (i keep finding stuff to add now and then too). the most recent list was posted in this thread
as a reply to Penny
S. (05/06 8:34 PM).

Shipping is on me of course.

~Travis
--
~Travis

>
>
> JD wrote:
> > Astounding, simply astounding. Why the hell anyone here gave your sorry ass anything is well
> > beyond me. You sit and whine about your POS walgoose for a couple of years, yet you gab on and
> > on about how great your computer **** is and how much you spend on it. "How about saving your
> > money for a real bike" echoed throughout the ng, yet you made it clear that your techno **** was
> > much more important than a bike. Sad ****. Next (pun intended), you proceed to make your POS
> > bike even more crappy and unsafe and it generates a pity party that you either expected, or did
> > not expect, though you reveled in it, taking free items from those who felt sorry enough for you
> > to send them. NOW, you sit and plot how you can spend extra money on needless **** like a
> > camcorder and GPS, including more computer interface techno **** that is completely needless. I
> > have donated items FOC to more than a couple of AM-B denizens, however I would never even think
> > of giving you the jam out of my big toe, you selfish little ****.
> >
> > JustDisgusted
>
>
> Pretty much how I see it, but too polite to say it.
>
>
>
>

I'm sorry you feel that way. i come from a long line of genetic impulse spending (why my mother no
longer has a credit card).

As an attempted reimbursement for you and Gary, i have created a "grab bag" for you can Gary to
select as much or as little as you want. i keep finding stuff to add to it, so there just may be
some jewels there. the most recent list was posted in this thread as a reply to Penny S. (05/06
8:34 PM). shipping is of course on me.

I can't begin to come up with items that would equal the value of the items you and Gary sent me,
but i can try my best.

If you feel you have been misguided, i can return the items if you like.

It truly was not my intention to act in a selfish manor.
--
~Travis

> I have narrowed it down to the Mule, BlowFish, or Hawg (MSRP of $80, $90, and $100, respectfully).
>
> current storage plane are simply a small tool kit to do away with the saddle bag ('cause it says
> Next on it). future plans are to buy a video camera (digital or analog, not sure. must have an a/v
> input) so it will need room for that, plus some padding. and i would like some space for a few
> small'ish extras.
>
> Now, pictures, IMO, are worthless unless you can see them on somebody... oh wait, scroll down on
> the camelbak.com site...
>
> Ok, i can see the mule looks rather small, the blowfish may be about right, and the hawg is big,
> but has compression straps to fix the unused space problem.
>
> My federal check was $219 (i had to double check the return forms as i thought it was supposed to
> be $119), so cost is not really a problem.
>
> now, assuming the top cost selection above, and that my LBS sells it for that cost, plus
> the 5% tax,

i wish we had 5% tax!

that leaves me with $114. so my next
> question, is there a mapping GPS unit (with download to PC mapping software) availible for that
> price (taking shipping/tax into account)?
>
> If not, i'll just hang on to it for a while.
>
> ~Travis
> --
> travis57 at megalink dot net
>
> http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/mtty.mp3

Technician wrote:
>
> I'm sorry you feel that way. i come from a long line of genetic impulse spending (why my mother no
> longer has a credit card).

"genetic impulse spending" oh, puhleeze ... I don't think I've ever read a more lame excuse ( or
heard a bigger load of **** excuse ) for lack of self control, lack of impulse control, self
gratification, lack of character, lack of personal responsibililty... what ever you want to call
it. It's all about choices, not about genetics. Just because your parents were.... means nothing,
absolutely nothing. Did you know that YOU are (supposedly) in control of your life... not your
genes, not your parents, just you and the choices you make.

> If you feel you have been misguided, i can return the items if you like.
>
> It truly was not my intention to act in a selfish manor.

If it were me I sure wouldn't have blabbed about my tax refund after pleading poverty...

Penny

> In article <[email protected]>, travis57 @nospam.megalink.net says...
> > I have narrowed it down to the Mule, BlowFish, or Hawg (MSRP of $80, $90, and $100,
> > respectfully).
> >
> > current storage plane are simply a small tool kit to do away with the saddle bag ('cause it says
> > Next on it). future plans are to buy a video camera (digital or analog, not sure. must have an
> > a/v input) so it will need room for that, plus some padding. and i would like some space for a
> > few small'ish extras.
> >
> > Now, pictures, IMO, are worthless unless you can see them on somebody... oh wait, scroll down on
> > the camelbak.com site...
> >
> > Ok, i can see the mule looks rather small, the blowfish may be about right, and the hawg is big,
> > but has compression straps to fix the unused space problem.
> >
> > My federal check was $219 (i had to double check the return forms as i thought it was supposed
> > to be $119), so cost is not really a problem.
> >
>
> Ok, now some accessories i can see i need/want are as follows, additions/substitutions welcome.
>
> Cleaning brush kit Big Bite valve (if they don't come with it) Ergo Angle CommPocket (for my cell
> phone, perhaps a second if i get a GPS)
>
> I figure the drying rack can be fabricated, and there must be something to substitute the cleaning
> tabs (like baking soda perhaps).
>
> ~Travis
> --
>

Travis,

How about adding your mailing address with your wish list

> In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
> > On Tue, 6 May 2003 11:52:56 -0400, Technician wrote:
> >
> > > now, assuming the top cost selection above, and that my LBS sells it
for
> > > that cost, plus the 5% tax, that leaves me with $114. so my next question, is there a mapping
> > > GPS unit (with download to PC mapping software) availible for that price (taking shipping/tax
> > > into account)?
> >
> > Given your funding situation, I'd spend the money on riding stuff rather than a GPS. I mean
> > really, how many trails are you going to map? I'm in the process of mapping out some local
> > trails, but I'm using a borrowed GPS. The half-dozen trails I'll map out simply aren't worth the
> > money to buy one myself.
> >
> > There are some bike upgrades that you'll probably want; plus a good
helmet
> > is a helluva lot cooler than a cheap one. Not to mention some good
riding
> > gear. Bike computers are kind of nice, and can be had for $15. If you
have
> > enough left over, clipless pedals are nice.
> >
> > BTW, the Mule is a good choice. It is, after all, the most popular
model.
> > I got a "Rocket", which looks damn cool but doesn't hold enough water
for
> > longer rides. Plus, the bladder's leaking less than a year later.
> >
> >
>
> Yeah, i gave up on the GPS. the extra money is temporarily sitting in my savings account
> collecting $0.01 per month.
>
> I may use it to buy things needed in the future, like tires, tubes, etc (or non-bike stuff like
> gas to get to the trailhead of some distant trail).
>
> I may get a new helmet. i already have a fairly good bike computer (tells me most of what i want
> to know). I may see about a jersey and riding shorts (of the baggy kind, this is not a form
> fitting kind of body). the old T-shirt and khaki shorts are not exactly prime bike wear.
>
> At least whatever else i can get for the money i have. (minus the minimum balance, and the cost of
> the needed front shifter, i am left with about $150.)
>
> Plus i have to get a few minor items to stock my bak tool kit. a spare tire, a _metric_ allen
> wrench set (preferably of the all-in-one fold-up style like my standard set). then i can get the
> frame pump off of the frame, where i think it will rub and wear paint off (just a cheap one
> anyway, but it so far has worked 100% of the time), or maybe replace it with a CO2 thing (more
> compact and lighter anyway).
>
> I'm sure my LBS will be seeing more of me. at least until the fed check runs out (still applying
> most every where. got a few interviews, but nothing panned out).
> --
> ~Travis
>
>

Me thinks ol' Travis is dropping hints for the next round of mercy begging

"JD" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > "Technician" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > | I have narrowed it down to the Mule, BlowFish, or Hawg (MSRP of $80, $90, and $100,
> > | respectfully).
> > |
> > | current storage plane are simply a small tool kit to do away with the saddle bag ('cause it
> > | says Next on it). future plans are to buy a
video
> > | camera (digital or analog, not sure. must have an a/v input) so it
will
> > | need room for that, plus some padding. and i would like some space for
a
> > | few small'ish extras.
> > |
> > | Now, pictures, IMO, are worthless unless you can see them on
somebody...
> > | oh wait, scroll down on the camelbak.com site...
> > |
> > | Ok, i can see the mule looks rather small, the blowfish may be about right, and the hawg is
> > | big, but has compression straps to fix the
unused
> > | space problem.
> > |
> > | My federal check was $219 (i had to double check the return forms as i thought it was supposed
> > | to be $119), so cost is not really a problem.
> > |
> > | now, assuming the top cost selection above, and that my LBS sells it
for
> > | that cost, plus the 5% tax, that leaves me with $114. so my next question, is there a mapping
> > | GPS unit (with download to PC mapping software) availible for that price (taking shipping/tax
> > | into account)?
>
>
> JustDisgusted

Status
Not open for further replies.