speeding ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.
"zeldabee" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> "bgaudet0801" <[email protected]> wrote:
[...]
> > Granted my experience is quaintly provincial but I've never seen a park-posted as off-limits to
> > bikes. Some hiking trails or wildlife preservation areas, yes - but not urban parks.
>
> Actually, your question puzzles me. Larger parks, like Central and
Prospect
> Parks, have bike paths. Why would you want to ride around in a dinky, crowded little park? It
> would take about 30 seconds to get from one end to the other...assuming you didn't run down a ped
> on the way. Little
children,
> I can see...

That explains why one wouldn't want to ride that park as a _ride_. I use small parks, parkettes and
linking trails as transit corridors. It works pretty well for this small city. The idea that a
particular part might be legally off-limits is surprising to me.

On Wed, 03 Sep 2003 01:03:33 GMT, "bgaudet0801" <[email protected]> wrote:

>
>"zeldabee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> Earl Camembert <[email protected]> wrote:
>> > "victor" <[email protected]> wrote: I've also been
>> > >ticketed for biking in Washington Square Park at 7:30 AM on a cold winter morning. Guess there
>> > >bike tickets are built into the cost of living in NYC.
>[...]
>> Under normal circumstances, it wouldn't occur to me to ride through Washington Square Park.
>
> Could you please enlighten a non-New Yaw-w-w-wkah: Why don't the powers-that-be permit or wish one
> to bicycle this park in particular? Or parks in general??
>
> Granted my experience is quaintly provincial but I've never seen a park-posted as off-limits to
> bikes. Some hiking trails or wildlife preservation areas, yes - but not urban parks.
>

The cyclists would interfere with the Negroid individuals selling pot.

On Wed, 03 Sep 2003 01:40:27 GMT, Earl Camembert <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Wed, 03 Sep 2003 01:03:33 GMT, "bgaudet0801" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>
>>"zeldabee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>news:[email protected]...
>>> Earl Camembert <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> > "victor" <[email protected]> wrote: I've also been
>>> > >ticketed for biking in Washington Square Park at 7:30 AM on a cold winter morning. Guess
>>> > >there bike tickets are built into the cost of living in NYC.
>>[...]
>>> Under normal circumstances, it wouldn't occur to me to ride through Washington Square Park.
>>
>> Could you please enlighten a non-New Yaw-w-w-wkah: Why don't the powers-that-be permit or wish
>> one to bicycle this park in particular? Or parks in general??
>>
>> Granted my experience is quaintly provincial but I've never seen a park-posted as off-limits to
>> bikes. Some hiking trails or wildlife preservation areas, yes - but not urban parks.
>>
>
>The cyclists would interfere with the Negroid individuals selling pot.

With all the police cameras in the park, I'm surprised anyone still sells pot there.

bgaudet0801 wrote:
> That explains why one wouldn't want to ride that park as a _ride_. I use small parks, parkettes
> and linking trails as transit corridors. It works pretty well for this small city. The idea that
> a particular part might be legally off-limits is surprising to me.

I do this too but when I do, I slow way down--to about 5mph. There are also some wide (15'-20')
sidewalks I do this on where there is no usable street for a few blocks (next to a trolley rail).
I've ridden right past bicycle cops and said "Hi" as I went by. I don't think it's a big problem as
long as you are going slow enough to be safe. It's stupid and dangerous to ride fast when there's
lots of pedestrians on the paths.

--Bill Davidson
--
Please remove ".nospam" from my address for email replies.

I'm a 17 year veteran of usenet -- you'd think I'd be over it by now

On Wed, 03 Sep 2003 01:03:33 GMT, bgaudet0801 <[email protected]> wrote:
> Could you please enlighten a non-New Yaw-w-w-wkah: Why don't the

I'm also a non-New Yaw-w-w-wkah, but I'll take a stab at it:

> powers-that-be permit or wish one to bicycle this park in particular? Or parks in general??
> preservation areas, yes - but not urban parks.

In urban areas, any place is subject to abuse by those attracted to it. Parks tend to attract people
on human powered wheels -- bicycles, skates, skateboards.

Such people create a nuisance to the less visible, more vocal pedestrians. Pedestrians complain, the
"parks are for people to enjoy at walking speed" rhetoric begins, and rules are made.

In local urban, and even suburban areas, parks and library parking lots and such commonly have signs
prohibiting skates and skateboards; I can imagine that in super-urban areas like NYC, big public
parks might prohibit bicyclists.

--
Rick Onanian

There's barely enough room for the dope dealers to ply their trade in Washington Square Park The
little room that's left is needed for their customers to pretend to be "hangin' out". The dog run
for the outraegeous sized apartment animals that **** there at will take up what space is left.

Who wants to run into a dealer, doper, or dog, or smell dog/human **** anyway!

"bgaudet0801" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>
> "zeldabee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Earl Camembert <[email protected]> wrote:
> > > "victor" <[email protected]> wrote: I've also been
> > > >ticketed for biking in Washington Square Park at 7:30 AM on a cold winter morning. Guess
> > > >there bike tickets are built into the cost of living in NYC.
> [...]
> > Under normal circumstances, it wouldn't occur to me to ride through Washington Square Park.
>
> Could you please enlighten a non-New Yaw-w-w-wkah: Why don't the powers-that-be permit or wish
> one to bicycle this park in particular? Or parks in general??
>
> Granted my experience is quaintly provincial but I've never seen a park-posted as off-limits to
> bikes. Some hiking trails or wildlife preservation areas, yes - but not urban parks.

Status
Not open for further replies.