The French Drought Continues

micron said:
What a fascinating insight into the insular and xenophobic American mindset this thread is :(
Well surprise, surprise. I didn't know dead star was an American!

Deadstar was stating that a single person was arrogant, not that all his fellow countrymen therefore had the same characteristic. You on the other hand chose to lable every single french person as arrogant with no good reasoning behind it. Two very different things.

Eldrack said:
Deadstar was stating that a single person was arrogant, not that all his fellow countrymen therefore had the same characteristic. You on the other hand chose to lable every single french person as arrogant with no good reasoning behind it. Two very different things.
Why does anybody pay Chavanel $900,000 for not winning any races.
He even craps on French riders too, I am just saying that Horner has a lot of American friends...I would say Levi, Landis, George et al will remember and if it works for their teams as well as Horner I am sure there will be payback...I'm hoping thats all.

What HAS Chavenel won BTW? ANything?

hombredesubaru said:
Why does anybody pay Chavanel $900,000 for not winning any races.
He even craps on French riders too, I am just saying that Horner has a lot of American friends...I would say Levi, Landis, George et al will remember and if it works for their teams as well as Horner I am sure there will be payback...I'm hoping thats all.

What HAS Chavenel won BTW? ANything?
Horner doesn't get money because he has friends, Chavanel has a high publicity value for the sponsor as he is the French hope for the TdF (and yes i know he will probebly never even get closa to an overall TdF win). It was good marketing of Boulangerie and now Cofidis who made Chavanel big. Even a guy like Vandenbroucke still makes a lot of money in Belgium because he (and with him the name of the sponsor) is in the Belgium newspapers every week.

Who cares about who is friend of who. The director of Festina (the company, not the cycling team) was qouted a few years ago saying that the best publicity for them was the TdF 1998, they never had a bigger exposure in the media and that it was all negative publicity didn't bather him at all. Everybody in Europe know the Festina brand now (he said).

Eldrack said:

I was. Chavanel let all that hype about him during his Bonjour/Brioches days get to his head, resulting in the big ego/contempt held for him by Casar and others.

Dead Star said:
I was. Chavanel let all that hype about him during his Bonjour/Brioches days get to his head, resulting in the big ego/contempt held for him by Casar and others.
Headline in todays news:

"French Students still Protest Despite Victory."

Ah yes, the French.
nuff said...

Back to the point,
Horner has friends.
Horner should have won the stage.
Horner didnt because Chavanel treated him like domestique.
Horners friends will remember Chavanel treating Horner badly.
Chavanel will not be allowed to get away this year in the Tour if any Americans can help it.
Drought continues.

Eldrack said:
I am all for individual judgements and fair treatment of different cultures.... except when it comes to the french. If we can't make fun of them for sucking at their own bike races, what's the point of this forum. I am off to eat some freedom fries.

barnstorm said:
I am all for individual judgements and fair treatment of different cultures.... except when it comes to the french. If we can't make fun of them for sucking at their own bike races, what's the point of this forum. I am off to eat some freedom fries.
exactly my point

It's hilarious that anyone can criticize Chavanel as being an "arrogant *******" by painting Chris Horner - a pretty arrogant ******* himself, by all accounts - as a "victim". That's just damn funny. And I'd say that there are far more American riders who can't stand Horner - having had more experience racing with/against him and all - than there are French riders, who probably for the most part have no idea who he is and care even less.

Anyway, I'd say it's pretty much par for the course, karma, whatever you want to call it, for Horner.

Leafer said:
It's hilarious that anyone can criticize Chavanel as being an "arrogant *******" by painting Chris Horner - a pretty arrogant ******* himself, by all accounts - as a "victim". That's just damn funny. And I'd say that there are far more American riders who can't stand Horner - having had more experience racing with/against him and all - than there are French riders, who probably for the most part have no idea who he is and care even less.

Anyway, I'd say it's pretty much par for the course, karma, whatever you want to call it, for Horner.
you're right about Horner of course, quite a mouth on him