The Real Cost of a Car: about 2-3K a year

I think there are many good reasons to change from a car to bike, but saving money isn't
one of them.

A 175 lb person riding a bike at 15 mph burns about 34 kcal/mile (see
http://www.howstuffworks.com/question527.htm)

Assuming the person rides 10,000 miles per year, that's 340,000 kcal expended.

Now, about the cheapest source of calories is a Big Mac with supersize fries. This costs about $4
for 1100 kcal. Our rider would have to eat 309 Big Macs and Fries each year to maintian energy
intake constant. And at about $4 each, that's over $1200.

And that's for the cheapest source of food energy. Most foods cost much more than that.

BTW. A gallon of gasoline contains about 31,000 kcal. If a person could drink gasoline, then they
could ride10,000 miles a year on just 11 gallons of gas (less than $20 in the U.S.).

Mike Tordoff Philadelphia

"Sparhawk" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> You'll probably save a lot of money on health costs also, unless that is you are killed or injured
> in traffic someday.

If the statistics often quoted here are correct, you're more likely to be killed or injured driving
to work than riding. Counter-intuitive maybe, but probably true.

Matt O.

"Monty Montgomery" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:%[email protected]...
> I keep a spreadsheet to keep track of my costs. My initial intent was to rasionalize how little
> money it costs to ride my bike when looked at it in dollars per hour. As you can see on the
> table below I included everything from the bike to patch kits. Man, was I suprised. The only
> hope is that
> keep on riding at the rate I have in the last couple of years. If I keep
up
> this pace the bike will get inexpensive in a year or two... I hope...
>
> Oh, by the way, gas and car repairs cost over $4000 last year. Now that
is
> expensive.
>
> My cost per mile is $0.43 My cost per hour is:$7.73 That is with 12,571 miles on my biles.
>

> Initial Bike Cost 12/29/2000 $3,656.14 Total Spent $5,396.71 Shorts $165.00 Jersey etc
> $260.00 Chains $180.00 Miles Ridden 12571.4 Tires $300.00 2001 5064 Computer $20.00 2002
> 7412 Overhaul(chain, brake hoods) $180.00 2003 95 co2 $80.00 Ave MPH 18 Pump $15.00 Gloves
> $50.00 Hours Ridden 698.4111 Helmets $250.00 Tire Tubes $50.00 Cost per Hour $7.73 Chain
> Lube $24.00 Chain Cleaner $25.00 Cost per Mile 0.429285 new tire,chain,SpinSkin $114.07
> chain, derailleur adjustment $27.50

Looks to me like your riding/spendig habits are the equivalent of driving a Bentley. Even so, it's
still much less than most people spend on driving.

Matt O.

On Thu, 16 Jan 2003 00:01:16 GMT, "Mike S." <mikeshaw@coxDOTnet> wrote:

>one word: convenience.

Yes, I'd noticed he hadn't mentioned how convenient bikes are - but you're right.

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

I did a calculation in the early 70s of what it cost to run my Raleigh International (not counting
cost of bike, just ongoing stuff) and came out $.03 a mile, chiefly in chainwheels and tires.

That's about $.10 a mile after inflation today, but I don't know that inflation affected tires and
chainwheels the same way as the CPI says.

My Huffy is much cheaper than that anyway, but I'm on fatter tires now that last longer, with a $15
triple chainwheel (for all 3) from Huffy parts.
--
Ron Hardin [email protected]

16 Jan 2003 03:46:09 GMT, <qfOMuGrZTFdc-pn2-F8HfyNtUJNx4@merlin>,
[email protected] wrote:

>dragged $150 worth of groceries home in the trailer

You should eat truffles! You could fit that much in a jersey pocket.
--
zk

Thu, 16 Jan 2003 04:13:53 GMT, <5kqV9.696545$%[email protected]>, garmonboezia
<cthvlhv@r'lyeh.arg> wrote:

>"Tom Gauldin" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
>
>> What about little things like rain, sleet, snow, freezing weather and
>strong
>> winds?
>
>What about 'em?

I think Mr.Gauldin's other bait in this thread has exposed him for what he was.
--
zk

I cross posted this to triangle.general which is a newsgroup covering the area where I live in NC.
Tom is one of the shrill eggheads over there, if you want his response, you'll have to crosspost it
that group as well. Sorry. Just letting you know :)

<[email protected]> wrote in message news:qfOMuGrZTFdc-pn2-F8HfyNtUJNx4@merlin...
> "Tom Gauldin" <[email protected]> spake thusly on or about Thu, 16 Jan
2003
> 00:27:54 UTC
>
> -> What about little things like rain, sleet, snow, freezing weather and
strong
> -> winds? ->
>
> dragged $150 worth of groceries home in the trailer -35 C 25 k wind in my face out bound at my
> back on the way home 5 k trip because I went off to the library before shopping. I was at the
> library before an auto would
have
> warmed up.
>
> what was your point?
> --
> I hurt before the ride so fibro gives me a head start on the rest of the pack. silver lining?
> [email protected]

Tom the shrill pill is posting from triangle.general which covers the area where I live. Just so you
know. I crossposted this to both groups. Sorry.

"Zoot Katz" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Thu, 16 Jan 2003 04:13:47 GMT, <%[email protected]>, "Monty
> Montgomery" <[email protected]> spent:
>
> \snip
> > co2 $80.00 Pump $15.00
>
> Very cool!
>
> From California's "Riverside Daily Enterprise" of 25 August 1896.
>
> Hey diddle diddle The bicycle riddle, The strangest part of the deal; Just keep your accounts -
> Add up the amounts; The 'sundries' cost more than the wheel.
> --
> zk

It all depends on what you're going to do with said bike. Up to a point, there are great returns for
the money spent: lighter weight, better equipment, etc. which makes riding a lot more enjoyable. If
you're idea is to provide basic transportation that noone would want to steal (you hope) then you
may be close to being right with your dollar figure.

I read somewhere that the lifespan of the average huffy/department store bike is 13 miles before it
gets permanently hung in the garage. Chew on that for a while.

news:[email protected]...

On Thu, 16 Jan 2003 03:55:41 GMT, "Tom Gauldin" <[email protected]> wrote:

>If you really spent over a hundred bucks on a darned bicycle, I have a bridge I'd like to sell you
>in NYC. That's absurd. I guess there's a sucker born every minute.

I don't know about $100, but > $1000 for the bike alone is a bit much if you're gonna use it for
transport instead of sport.

Of course, it's quite obvious that Monty's either exaggerating a bit or someone's ripping him off:

Chains $180.00 new tire,chain,SpinSkin $114.07 Overhaul(chain, brake hoods) $180.00 Chain Lube
$24.00 Chain Cleaner $25.00

500$ on chains? ********.

"Michael Tordoff" <[email protected]> writes:

> Now, about the cheapest source of calories is a Big Mac with supersize fries. This costs about $4
> for 1100 kcal. Our rider would have to eat 309 Big Macs and Fries each year to maintian energy
> intake constant. And at about $4 each, that's over $1200.
>
> And that's for the cheapest source of food energy. Most foods cost much more than that.

I'll bet I can get that many calories from spaghetti for a small fraction of the price.

Sam

"garmonboezia" <cthvlhv@r'lyeh.arg> wrote in message
news:5kqV9.696545$%[email protected]...

> "Tom Gauldin" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
>
> > What about little things like rain, sleet, snow, freezing weather and
> strong
> > winds?
>
> What about 'em?

I used to arrange my life around frequent 2 week climbing or sailing trips, just so I could enjoy
this stuff. Now it's integrated with my normal daily routine. Fun-loving folks say "why save the
tuxedo for special evenings," well, why save the Goretex for vacations?

Matt O.

On Thu, 16 Jan 2003 15:31:52 -0500, "Michael Tordoff" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Now, about the cheapest source of calories is a Big Mac with supersize fries. This costs about $4
>for 1100 kcal. Our rider would have to eat 309 Big Macs and Fries each year to maintian energy
>intake constant. And at about $4 each, that's over $1200.

What you have to remember is that many people eat that kind of quantity of junk every day anyway,
and don't ride a bike. Which might explain why obesity is such a problem.

Also, as others have said, junk food is actually very expensive.

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

It really depends on how much you use the bike. The more you use it, the cost per mile goes down. I
ride my bike about 1800 miles a year (300 days x 6 miles a day), since I've put in about a 150
dollars into it already (Bike repair tool kit, repair book, tires, tire pump) last year, so that
averages about .06 cent a mile. I do my own bike repairs so that drops the cost considerably. I
expect the per mile cost to drop much more this year as I dont expect to put as much money into it
except replacing the chain, and possibly the chain wheels. It is not unreasonable to get by on .03
cents a mile, assuming you take good care of the bike and use it often.

"Ron Hardin" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I did a calculation in the early 70s of what it cost to run my Raleigh International (not counting
> cost of bike, just ongoing stuff) and came out $.03 a mile, chiefly in chainwheels and tires.
>
> That's about $.10 a mile after inflation today, but I don't know that inflation affected tires and
> chainwheels the same way as the CPI says.
>
> My Huffy is much cheaper than that anyway, but I'm on fatter tires now that last longer, with a
> $15 triple chainwheel (for all 3) from Huffy parts.
> --
> Ron Hardin [email protected]
>
> On the internet, nobody knows you're a jerk.

> Of course, it's quite obvious that Monty's either exaggerating a bit or someone's ripping him off:
>
> Chains $180.00 new tire,chain,SpinSkin $114.07 Overhaul(chain, brake hoods) $180.00 Chain Lube
> $24.00 Chain Cleaner $25.00
>

> 500$ on chains? ********.

25 dollars on chain cleaner is ridiculous. I can pick up a bottle of Simple Green nontoxic degreaser
from autozone for 7 bucks or so. Chain lube doesnt cost much more. Chains themselves don't normally
cost more than 20 bucks, and I'm quoting from a parts catalogue. You don't have to spend a fortune
to have a high-end bike with quality parts. I ride my bike as a sole means of transportation, almost
2000 miles a year and I don't spend any where that much. Last year I spent about 150 dollars, that
includes the bike, tool kit, repair manual, new tires, new pump. Still going strong on a budget.
Don't let Monty's budget intimidate you from ditching a gas and money sucking car for a nice bike
and the fun it brings ; )

> It all depends on what you're going to do with said bike. Up to a point, there are great returns
> for the money spent: lighter weight, better equipment, etc. which makes riding a lot more
> enjoyable. If you're idea
is
> to provide basic transportation that noone would want to steal (you hope) then you may be close to
> being right with your dollar figure.
>
> I read somewhere that the lifespan of the average huffy/department store bike is 13 miles before
> it gets permanently hung in the garage. Chew on that for a while.

I've read that same department store lifespan story too, but I have my doubts about it, just how did
they come up with this figure? More likely that someone in the bike shop business came up with it
off the top of his head. I'll repeat a story from my bike building days. When we were building our
recumbents on the fourth floor of an old mill building in NH I would see this guy every morning on
the elevator with this really ratty old Huffy. One morning I noticed he had a new rear wheel and
commented on it to the owner. He said that he had been clipped by a car and that the driver went to
the local bike shop and bought him a new wheel. He said that he had been riding it ti work every day
for 14 years. Sure, Huffy's have lousy components, but you can get one at the local Good Will store
for 5 or ten bucks and if you spend a few bucks for a decent set of wheels and brakes it will
probably last as long as the average big bucks bike. **** Ryan

Zoot Katz <[email protected]> spake thusly on or about Thu, 16 Jan 2003 04:09:59 UTC

-> You should eat truffles! You could fit that much in a jersey pocket. ->

well I could likely fit that much in my ear if I bought on the NA market. bags of flour last
longer though.

--
I hurt before the ride so fibro gives me a head start on the rest of the pack. silver lining?
[email protected]

"C P" <[email protected]> spake thusly on or about Thu, 16 Jan 2003
05:30:09 UTC

-> I cross posted this to triangle.general which is a newsgroup covering the -> area where I live in
NC. Tom is one of the shrill eggheads over there, if -> you want his response, you'll have to
crosspost it that group as well. -> Sorry. Just letting you know :) ->

thanks but I intentionally dropped the crosspost and my response was somewhat rhetorical in anycase.
Unless there is a very good reason for cross posts I usually snip to avoid the joys of newsgroup
wars; it spoils the fun for the trolls.

thanks again

--

On Thu, 16 Jan 2003 04:01:58 -0500, Gary L. Burnore <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Thu, 16 Jan 2003 03:55:41 GMT, "Tom Gauldin" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>If you really spent over a hundred bucks on a darned bicycle, I have a bridge I'd like to sell you
>>in NYC. That's absurd. I guess there's a sucker born every minute.
>
>I don't know about $100, but > $1000 for the bike alone is a bit much if you're gonna use it for
>transport instead of sport.
>
>Of course, it's quite obvious that Monty's either exaggerating a bit or someone's ripping him off:
[snip]

Since I moved to my current home (Oct. 2000), I've been riding my bicycle to work almost every day.
I am only 1.5 miles from SAS, so I can be there in 5-10 minutes (I can walk it in 25 minutes). Since
I usually go to the gym before work, I alway have my gym bag with me. In it I keep spare underwear
and socks, 2 ponchos, an umbrella, etc., so I'm prepared for anything except ice and lighning. When
the recent ice storm hit in December, I just walked home and got my bike the next day.

I initially spent $300 for a good, basic 18 speed bike. I might have gotten it cheaper if I'd gone
for a K-mart special, but I wanted something that I could rely on. I have added lights, an air horn,
rear view mirror, etc., but my only real maintenance costs are the yearly checkup, which usually run
less than $100 (and almost always includes replacing the tires).

Tom, did you spend more than $10,000 for your car? What a sucker! You could have gotten a
KIA, you know!

_

"My opinions, not SAS Institute's"

Tom Disque