The Real Cost of a Car: about 2-3K a year

Mike Kruger wrote:

> So, these amazingly precise calculations indicate it's costing you about twice as much per mile to
> ride your very nice bike as it would to ride an endless succession of throw-away cheapies. Feel
> better now?

My brother and I bought two decent bikes, AU$1200 each, for a tour around Asia later this year. Just
looked at the toy store catlogue and realised we could have bought a new bike every fortnight for
the 4 months we'll be going. Makes you think Although why buy a $200,000 Ferrari when you could buy
15 Hyundais?

--
Cheers Damian Harvey

Goths: If I looked like that I'd be depressed too.

Sam Huffman wrote:

> "Michael Tordoff" <[email protected]> writes:
>
> > Now, about the cheapest source of calories is a Big Mac with supersize fries. This costs about
> > $4 for 1100 kcal. Our rider would have to eat 309 Big Macs and Fries each year to maintian
> > energy intake constant. And at about $4 each, that's over $1200.
> >
> > And that's for the cheapest source of food energy. Most foods cost much more than that.
>
> I'll bet I can get that many calories from spaghetti for a small fraction of the price.
>
> Sam

Yup, I just checked a couple boxes. One pound gives you 1680 kcal.

Chuck

Dweezil Dwarftosser wrote:

> Michael Tordoff wrote:
> >

> > A 175 lb person riding a bike at 15 mph burns about 34 kcal/mile (see
> > http://www.howstuffworks.com/question527.htm)
>
> Your figures are off by a factor of 1,000. That's 34 *calories* per mile - not kilocalories.
<snip>
> > Now, about the cheapest source of calories is a Big Mac with supersize fries. This costs about
> > $4 for 1100 kcal.
>
> 1100 *calories* - not kcal.
Actually, when we use the term Calorie, it really means kcal.

Chuck

"Dweezil Dwarftosser" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Your figures are off by a factor of 1,000. That's 34 *calories* per mile - not kilocalories.
One dietetic calorie is actually 1000 calories of energy.

It all depends upon which one you are talking about.

"Mike S." <mikeshaw@coxDOTnet> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> I read somewhere that the lifespan of the average huffy/department store bike is 13 miles before
> it gets permanently hung in the garage. Chew on that for a while.

That's because people buy them, but don't use them. That's like saying the average 110 pound
barbell set, or Reebock slide, or aerobic step kit is only used 6 times. (a number I just made up,
by the way).

Both the department store bike and the other stuff is actually usable far longer.

My father figured he was done riding his bike at age 79, so he gave it to
me.It's been hanging in the garage, close and handy, for many years. It's an old Sears Free Spirit,
probably from about 1980. The odometer read 180 miles.

Well, Ed, I raised the amount I'd spend on a good bike, but it's still way under $1k.
--

Tom Gauldin, Las Vegas NV NEW EMAIL [email protected] NEW PHONE (702) 263-8804 voice/fax

"Ed Foster" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:160120032135493920%[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, Tom Gauldin <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > If you really spent over a hundred bucks on a darned bicycle, I have a bridge I'd like to sell
> > you in NYC. That's absurd. I guess there's a sucker born every minute.
>

> I guess there's a couch potato doesn't see the point. Sorry Tom, you make some good points
> sometimes but other times you have your head so far up you ass you can probably see out of your
> mouth. Would you like people to start telling you what they really think of people who vacation in
> Las Vagas?

> I used to arrange my life around frequent 2 week climbing or sailing trips, just so I could enjoy
> this stuff. Now it's integrated with my normal daily routine. Fun-loving folks say "why save the
> tuxedo for special evenings," well, why save the Goretex for vacations?
>
> Matt O.

...not to mention other bike schwag. :p

Matt O'Toole wrote:

> I used to arrange my life around frequent 2 week climbing or sailing trips, just so I could enjoy
> this stuff. Now it's integrated with my normal daily routine. Fun-loving folks say "why save the
> tuxedo for special evenings," well, why save the Goretex for vacations?
>
> Matt O.

Hmmmm.... If you snosealed a cheap ex-hire tux you could ride around all winter like an
enviromentalist James Bond. Way cool. I wonder if it would get me ***** Galore though?
--
Cheers Damian Harvey

Goths: If I looked like that I'd be depressed too.

"Damian Harvey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Mike Kruger wrote:
>
> > So, these amazingly precise calculations indicate it's costing you about twice as much per mile
> > to ride your very nice bike as it would to ride
an
> > endless succession of throw-away cheapies. Feel better now?
>
> My brother and I bought two decent bikes, AU$1200 each, for a tour around
Asia
> later this year. Just looked at the toy store catlogue and realised we
could
> have bought a new bike every fortnight for the 4 months we'll be going.
Makes
> you think Although why buy a $200,000 Ferrari when you could buy 15 Hyundais?

Only one oil slick to clean up?

Matt O.

"richard ryan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:t1yV9.701843$P31.526866@rwcrnsc53...

> > I read somewhere that the lifespan of the average huffy/department store bike is 13 miles before
> > it gets permanently hung in the garage. Chew on that for a while.

> I've read that same department store lifespan story too, but I have my doubts about it, just how
> did they come up with this figure? More likely that someone in the bike shop business came up with
> it off the top of his head. I'll repeat a story from my bike building days. When we were
building
> our recumbents on the fourth floor of an old mill building in NH I would
see
> this guy every morning on the elevator with this really ratty old Huffy.
One
> morning I noticed he had a new rear wheel and commented on it to the
owner.
> He said that he had been clipped by a car and that the driver went to the local bike shop and
> bought him a new wheel. He said that he had been
riding
> it ti work every day for 14 years. Sure, Huffy's have lousy components,
but
> you can get one at the local Good Will store for 5 or ten bucks and if you spend a few bucks for a
> decent set of wheels and brakes it will probably last as long as the average big bucks bike.

Come to my old neighborhood in southern CA, and you'll see scores of restaurant workers making long
commutes on such bikes.

Matt O.

"richard ryan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<t1yV9.701843$P31.526866@rwcrnsc53>...
> > It all depends on what you're going to do with said bike. Up to a point, there are great returns
> > for the money spent: lighter weight, better equipment, etc. which makes riding a lot more
> > enjoyable. If you're idea
> is
> > to provide basic transportation that noone would want to steal (you hope) then you may be close
> > to being right with your dollar figure.
> >
> > I read somewhere that the lifespan of the average huffy/department store bike is 13 miles before
> > it gets permanently hung in the garage. Chew on that for a while.
> >
> I've read that same department store lifespan story too, but I have my doubts about it, just how
> did they come up with this figure? More likely that someone in the bike shop business came up with
> it off the top of his head. I'll repeat a story from my bike building days. When we were building
> our recumbents on the fourth floor of an old mill building in NH I would see this guy every
> morning on the elevator with this really ratty old Huffy. One morning I noticed he had a new rear
> wheel and commented on it to the owner. He said that he had been clipped by a car and that the
> driver went to the local bike shop and bought him a new wheel. He said that he had been riding it
> ti work every day for 14 years. Sure, Huffy's have lousy components, but you can get one at the
> local Good Will store for 5 or ten bucks and if you spend a few bucks for a decent set of wheels
> and brakes it will probably last as long as the average big bucks bike. **** Ryan

I believe that's an accurate figure. It's not saying they will only "last" 13 miles, it's saying
that's how far they are ridden when Joe Blow finally gets fed up with riding and hangs it up. Ill
fitting and poorly assembled bicycles will do more to deter a new rider than anything else, IMO.

I recall many years ago when my friend who was into cycling big time kept pestering me to get a bike
and I finally did. I bought a nice new Huffy Santa Fe. My first ride was about 6 miles and I was so
uncomfortable I came home and said "screw this". I called my friend and asked him what the deal was
and he explained to me about frame size and why the bike I bought would never fit me properly being
as I was 6'1" (He never mentioned crappy components or assembly). He brought his C-Dale over and
said to give it a try and I did. It fit like a glove and the rest is as they say, history.

"C G" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> Sam Huffman wrote:

> > I'll bet I can get that many calories from spaghetti for a small
fraction
> > of the price.

> Yup, I just checked a couple boxes. One pound gives you 1680 kcal.

...for about 69 cents at Trader Joe's.

Don't forget rice and beans.

Matt O.

The difference between an $800 road bike and between a $3500 road bike are significant, but the net
rideability is not actually that great.

Chuck

Tom Gauldin wrote:

> Well, Ed, I raised the amount I'd spend on a good bike, but it's still way under $1k.
> --
>
> Tom Gauldin, Las Vegas NV NEW EMAIL [email protected] NEW PHONE (702) 263-8804 voice/fax
>
> "Ed Foster" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:160120032135493920%[email protected]...
> > In article <[email protected]>, Tom Gauldin <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > > If you really spent over a hundred bucks on a darned bicycle, I have a bridge I'd like to sell
> > > you in NYC. That's absurd. I guess there's a sucker born every minute.
> >

> > I guess there's a couch potato doesn't see the point. Sorry Tom, you make some good points
> > sometimes but other times you have your head so far up you ass you can probably see out of your
> > mouth. Would you like people to start telling you what they really think of people who vacation
> > in Las Vagas?

In article <[email protected]>, Tom Gauldin <[email protected]> wrote:

> Well, Ed, I raised the amount I'd spend on a good bike, but it's still way under $1k.

Well, pay whatever you're willing and then get out and ride it...a lot. You may start to realize why
it might make sense to spend over $1k for a good bike. It's like woodworking. You can buy a Sears
table saw for a couple hundred dollars or you can buy a Unisaw for $1800. They both cut wood, but
the Unisaw is worth every bit extra you pay over the Sears. Same with a good bike. Of course, if
you're not into biking that's a different story. But don't knock those who choose to spend a bit of
money on a good bike, unless you're prepared to put up with people slamming you for spending a bit
of money on good woodworking tools.

Matt O'Toole wrote:

> "C G" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> > Sam Huffman wrote:
>
> > > I'll bet I can get that many calories from spaghetti for a small
> fraction
> > > of the price.
>
> > Yup, I just checked a couple boxes. One pound gives you 1680 kcal.
>
> ...for about 69 cents at Trader Joe's.
>
> Don't forget rice and beans.
>
> Matt O.

The beans have the added benefit of helping to heat your home, and extra propulsion while riding
the bike :)

Chuck

"Pete" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "Tom Gauldin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Well, Ed, I raised the amount I'd spend on a good bike, but it's still
way
> > under $1k.
> > --
> >

> $100 bike = Yugo $500 bike = Chevy $1000+ bike = Mercedes
I would lower the Chevy range down to $350.

There are several bikes in the $300 to $400 that are very good and are a much better buy than the
discount store bikes.

On Thu, 16 Jan 2003 19:26:15 GMT, "Monty Montgomery" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I'll send you the spreadsheet if you like

You can type anyting you want into a spreadsheet. Doesn't make it true.

That you claim that you paid more than the SRP for your Trek is my first clue that you're
full of it.

"Stephen Harding" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Mark Jones wrote:
>
> > There are several bikes in the $300 to $400 that are very good and are a much better buy than
> > the discount store bikes.
>
> Not if the bike is for a 7 or 11 year old.
>
> I think the department store steeds are a great buy for kiddie use. The kids grow so fast that
> bike sizing, within realistic values, isn't much an option if you don't have bike money to spend
> every 3 years.

I agree. My ex-GF bought a dept. store bike for her 10 year old daughter, for $89.00. It was a
typical MTB, and it worked absolutely fine. Excellently, in fact. The only potential problem I could
see was flexy brake calipers, made from stamped sheet steel. These could be a problem riding down a
big hill in the rain, but for a 10 year old girl riding her first bike around a flat neighborhood in
fair weather, I didn't see any problem at all.

> Now I know some won't like that comment, but I still recall being a 7 year old in West Palm Beach,
> FL riding my mother's Raliegh around the neighborhood. If it wasn't for the fact that it was a
> "girl's bike", I never would have reached the pedals (while perched on a top tube)!
>
> Kids have a remarkable ability to size themselves to whatever object interests them! Obviously, a
> well fitting bike is more safe than my mother's Raleigh that wouldn't physically accomodate me
> "correctly" for another 8 years, but I look back on that bike experience (and location) with no
> bad memories whatsoever.

I used to do the same thing! Grown-up bikes were so much faster... Then in junior high school, I had
a Huffy ten speed that fell apart (surprise!), so I started riding my dad's bike -- a 27" Schwinn
single speed. I duct-taped blocks of wood to the pedals so I could reach them.

Conversely, as a teenager I used to take my little brother's junior-sized Stingray to the local BMX
track. It was like a clown bike, with 16" wheels, tiny cranks, and low gearing. I had to pedal
furiously just to get it to go at all. This probably did more for my sprinting ability than
anything. I did it just for kicks, and to be able to racemore fairly with a couple of friends who
were pretty slow.

Matt O.

"Doug Kennedy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...

> If you buy used bikes and sell them when they're too small, then your cost of ownership can be
> pretty reasonable for good bikes. It depends on what the market is like in your neighborhood. If
> you have several kids you can 'hand-me-down' too. Of course you can apply this strategy to dept.
> store bikes as well. I paid $9 for my son's first bike, and will probably get
$4-5
> when I sell it (after little brother takes his turn...)

That's a good way to go if you can. Ski shops used to have kids' gear exchange programs, figuring
that the main issue was just to keep a family skiing. However, there's nothing like a *brand new*
bike when you're a kid!

Hey, I recycle my jeans! I wear 501s all the time, which can be resold to those jeans buyback places
for $5-10. So they probably have the lowest TCO of any article of clothing! I probably have $40
worth ready to be cleaned out of my closet right now!

> As another example, I couldn't find an Adams trail-a-bike locally, so mail-ordered one for $175.
> I've seen a couple of used ones sell locally for $150 within hours of advertising. So I expect my
> net cost to be $25 (may even make money.)

I've noticed that trailers, etc., seem to have really good resale value compared to bikes. Bikes,
OTOH... there seems to be an endless supply of almost new bikes for about half-off on ebay,
classifieds, etc.

Matt O.