This Forum is not dying

I thought this funny:

Switch to the left leaves Samoan drivers fighting for their rights

Samoans have driven on the right side of the road for more than a century, like their neighbours in American Samoa. But the prime minister, Tuilaepa Sailele Malielegaoi, wants to put an end to the import of costly left-hand-drive cars, particularly big American "gas-guzzlers", and to encourage the 250,000 Samoans who live in Australia and New Zealand, where people drive on the left, to send cars home.

A new political party was formed last year to challenge Tuilaepa over the switchover. Some villages have announced that they will refuse to allow any cars in unless they drive on the right, raising the prospect of traffic mayhem when the plan comes into effect on 7 September.

People Against Switching Sides (Pass), an action group, has launched a legal challenge, to be heard by the courts today, claiming the switch is unconstitutional because the government cannot guarantee Samoans' right to life.

"People will die as a result of this,'' said Dr Biopapa Annandale, the group's chairwoman, in a recent interview with the Australian Associated Press.

Drongo said:

heeeheeee.

I do have some sympathy with our Samoan friends.
Ourselves and the Brits are the only ones in Europe (I think) who drive on the left hand side of the road.

The first few minutes of driving on the continent are always good fun - trying to get your bearings.
Navigating out of Barecelona airport was particularly memorable!
Talk about sixes and sevens!

Didn't this have something to do with the ancients keeping their sword hand free so they could slash at enemies as the rode past?

nns1400 said:
just passing thru...someone needs to dust.

I have just the thing: alldusters.com

It makes cleaning fun!

A song while I'm here: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXYviplR7Vw"]YouTube - The Lucksmiths - Camera Shy[/ame]

And a video, which I've posted elsewhere, but is too good not to post again:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beCYGm1vMJ0"]YouTube - Not The Nine O'Clock News - Gerald the gorilla[/ame]

AAAHHHHHH!!!!!!

They took Versus away from me. :mad::mad::mad:

Directv "is being forced to drop it because of their unfair and outrageous demands."

$%I*(&#*(&#$)!!! I waited ALL YEAR for this.

Bro Deal, if you're out there somewhere, matey, I just wanted to remind you it's Talk Like A Pirate Day. :D

nns1400 said:
Bro Deal, if you're out there somewhere, matey, I just wanted to remind you it's Talk Like A Pirate Day. :D

Arrr! This place be quieter than Davey Jones' Locker. You should sail on over to cyclingnews' forum and ply the sweet trade over thar.

Bro Deal said:
Arrr! This place be quieter than Davey Jones' Locker. You should sail on over to cyclingnews' forum and ply the sweet trade over thar.

Be there any rum?

These days, International Talk Like a Pirate Day reminds me of this mob:

Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

especially the 'Global average temperature vs. Number of pirates' graph.

Anyway, Charlie Brooker's new article is good for a laugh. Here it is: Charlie Brooker: The doctors were about to stick a needle in my spine.

What if I sneezed just as the needle pierced my spine, and the doctors screamed and the nurses wept and I spent the rest of my life paralysed in bed, like the guy in The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, minus the consolation of having two pretty French women squabbling for my affections?

I'd have to spend years staring at the ceiling. I don't mind ceilings, but I've never glanced up at one and thought, "Oooh, I could stare at you for the rest of my life.

A song for Friday:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQWbaT5uHDE"]YouTube - Talking Heads : Naive Melody - Live (Stop Making Sense) Widescreen[/ame]

I am here to rekindle the fire. I want to know about bicycling. How does one get started in velodrome racing? I have seen it here in San Diego down the street from me at the velodrome in Balboa Park... and it really inspires me. Do they accept novice velodrome riders at most of those places or do you have to be sponsored or something?:rolleyes:

konasunset said:
I am here to rekindle the fire. I want to know about bicycling. How does one get started in velodrome racing? I have seen it here in San Diego down the street from me at the velodrome in Balboa Park... and it really inspires me. Do they accept novice velodrome riders at most of those places or do you have to be sponsored or something?:rolleyes:

Ring the velo, ask which clubs ride/train there. Then ring the clubs and ask about their track cycling. If it's like Oz,there'll be a few old club bikes for you to hire while you figure out if track is your thing. Then turn up to ride at a club practice session.

After a few of those, you may be ready to ride a low grade scratch race. Take it step by step and you'll be fine. A good cheap track bike is about a grand, brand new. You don't need anything better until someone gives you a sponsorship.

Soon enough you'll be sharing elbows with everyone else.

this forum is alive and well indeed... let the sun shine and let the wheels roll... happy pedaling everyone :D

Runitout said:
Ring the velo, ask which clubs ride/train there. Then ring the clubs and ask about their track cycling. If it's like Oz,there'll be a few old club bikes for you to hire while you figure out if track is your thing. Then turn up to ride at a club practice session.

After a few of those, you may be ready to ride a low grade scratch race. Take it step by step and you'll be fine. A good cheap track bike is about a grand, brand new. You don't need anything better until someone gives you a sponsorship.

Soon enough you'll be sharing elbows with everyone else.

Wait. When did they allow discussion of cycling on here. This is very strange.