Top Tube cable housing stops for Vbrakes

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Robert Taylor, Apr 17, 2003.

  1. I want to put Vbrakes on an old Cannondale frame which came with canti brakes. It has just cable
    housing guides on the top tube and so needs a housing stop of some sort for the rear Vbrake to
    work properly.

    I went to my LBS and they had some clamp on cable stops made by Alloy Accents for $23.99. That is a
    little pricy but then I realized that I'd need two of them since they serve as a stop only from one
    side. I know that this sort of clamp on cable stop is also made by Problem Solvers, Backstop, and
    Tektro but the pictures I've seen don't show whether they stop the housing on both sides or only
    one. Can anybody tell me? Also, I need the thing to clamp around the 1 1/2" top tube of my
    Cannondale and I've seen the reasonably priced Tektro only up to 1 3/8". Anybody know if it comes in
    1 1/2" and if so where I could get one?

    My other thought is to remove two of the plastic cable guides from the Cannondale top tube, drill
    the holes out as necessary, and pop in RivNuts. Then I could use parts from a centerpull cable stop
    to screw in the rivnuts and I'd have my cable stops. (You know, the part the adjusting barrel screws
    into on a front centerpull cable stop. It's held on with an 8mm nut on the back). However, would
    drilling out those two holes cause safety problems? Any thoughts?

    Thanks,
    Bob

    Tags:

  2. ritaylor-<< Also, I need the thing to clamp around the 1 1/2" top tube of my Cannondale and I've
    seen the reasonably priced Tektro only up to 1 3/8". Anybody know if it comes in 1 1/2" and if so
    where I could get one?

    Problem Solver ones from Quality Bike parts-

  3. Gary Young

    Gary Young Guest

    [email protected] (Robert Taylor) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I want to put Vbrakes on an old Cannondale frame which came with canti brakes. It has just cable
    > housing guides on the top tube and so needs a housing stop of some sort for the rear Vbrake to
    > work properly.
    >
    > I went to my LBS and they had some clamp on cable stops made by Alloy Accents for $23.99. That is
    > a little pricy but then I realized that I'd need two of them since they serve as a stop only from
    > one side. I know that this sort of clamp on cable stop is also made by Problem Solvers, Backstop,
    > and Tektro but the pictures I've seen don't show whether they stop the housing on both sides or
    > only one. Can anybody tell me? Also, I need the thing to clamp around the 1 1/2" top tube of my
    > Cannondale and I've seen the reasonably priced Tektro only up to 1 3/8". Anybody know if it comes
    > in 1 1/2" and if so where I could get one?
    >
    > My other thought is to remove two of the plastic cable guides from the Cannondale top tube, drill
    > the holes out as necessary, and pop in RivNuts. Then I could use parts from a centerpull cable
    > stop to screw in the rivnuts and I'd have my cable stops. (You know, the part the adjusting barrel
    > screws into on a front centerpull cable stop. It's held on with an 8mm nut on the back). However,
    > would drilling out those two holes cause safety problems? Any thoughts?

    Odyssey makes a cable-splitter for BMX bikes called the London Mod:

    http://www.blackoutdistribution.com/products/londonmod.html

    You might be able to secure this to your top tube by running the center bolt through one of your
    cable guides. Primo makes a similar product called the Primo Pervert.

    Caution: I haven't tried this and I don't know if your plastic guides would be strong enough.

  4. Why don't you just run housing all the way from the brake levers to V-brakes? You even have the
    guides to run it through.

    Jeff

    news:[email protected]...