What's the worst race loss ever?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Tony, Jan 23, 2003.

  1. Tony

    Tony Guest

    I was listening to a sports talk radio show yesterday on my drive to work and they were discussing
    the recent woes of the local football team. Some fans were calling in saying it was perhaps the
    worst loss of all time. It got me to thinking of the cycling equivalent.

    So, what is the worst pro cycling race loss of all time?

    To prime the pump, I offer these up:

    1989 Tour de France Laurent Fignon suffers a devastating loss on his home turf, losing the final
    Paris time trial. Greg Lemond makes up 50 seconds in the final
    24.5 km stage to win by only 8 seconds, averaging 33.8 mph in a 54x12. The day before Fignon had
    congratulated Lemond on his fine second place finish, thinking he (Fignon) had this one in the
    bag. On the podium, Lemond tells Fignon, “now we’ve both won two, let’s see
    what happens next year.” Lemond would go on to win the following year. Fignon would ride
    the Tour four more times but it was the last time he would ever see the podium.

    1990 Paris-Roubaix Canadian Steve Bauer suffers a heartbreaking finish line photo finish loss to
    Eddy Planckaert after a valiant race. Planckaert had a teammate in the velodrome, but when van
    Hooydonck went from far off, Bauer was on his wheel and looked set to win. Planckaert came through
    on the outside to pip him at the line. As close as you can get to winning the Queen of the Classics
    (except maybe for Gibus’s win over Ballerini in 1993).

    1994 Ronde van Vlaanderen No one has won the Tour of Flanders four times. Johan Museeuw would have
    become the first in 1998, but for a tire width four years earlier. Coming back from multiple crashes
    and flats, Museeuw scrabbles his way back to the front of the race to the screaming encouragement of
    his countrymen, but Italian Gianni Bugno is just too far ahead. Or is he? Museeuw puts his head down
    and motors to the line while Bugno is starting his victory celebration. Johan throws his bike at the
    line as Bugno, with arms up, looks over in shock. It was as close as it could get but it was not to
    be for the Leeuw van Vlaanderen that day. Bugno wins by an inch. Bet he always looked behind him
    after that one!

    1984 Los Angeles Olympics Our man Bauer again. In the final break, he is one on one with noted
    non-sprinter Alexi Grewal. I’m sure Bauer must have played the last minutes of this race in
    his head over and over again, trying to figure out how he blew this big win. Clearly the stronger
    finisher, this should have been a done deal. He waited but could do nothing as the skinny climber
    from Colorado beat him to the gold medal.

    What are your choices?

    Tags:

  2. Tony wrote:

    > 1994 Ronde van Vlaanderen No one has won the Tour of Flanders four times. Johan Museeuw would have
    > become the first in 1998, but for a tire width four years earlier. Coming back from multiple
    > crashes and flats, Museeuw scrabbles his way back to the front of the race to the screaming
    > encouragement of his countrymen, but Italian Gianni Bugno is just too far ahead. Or is he? Museeuw
    > puts his head down and motors to the line while Bugno is starting his victory celebration. Johan
    > throws his bike at the line as Bugno, with arms up, looks over in shock. It was as close as it
    > could get but it was not to be for the Leeuw van Vlaanderen that day. Bugno wins by an inch. Bet
    > he always looked behind him after that one!

    you sold me on that one- i just ordered the video, even with the overpriced shipping charge.

    heather

  3. Derek

    Derek Guest

    You must live in Indianapolis!

    Tony <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I was listening to a sports talk radio show yesterday on my drive to work and they were discussing
    > the recent woes of the local football team. Some fans were calling in saying it was perhaps the
    > worst loss of all time. It got me to thinking of the cycling equivalent.
    >
    > So, what is the worst pro cycling race loss of all time?
    >
    > To prime the pump, I offer these up:
    >
    > 1989 Tour de France Laurent Fignon suffers a devastating loss on his home turf, losing the final
    > Paris time trial. Greg Lemond makes up 50 seconds in the final
    > 24.5 km stage to win by only 8 seconds, averaging 33.8 mph in a 54x12. The day before Fignon had
    > congratulated Lemond on his fine second place finish, thinking he (Fignon) had this one in the
    > bag. On the podium, Lemond tells Fignon, “now we’ve both won two, let’s see
    > what happens next year.” Lemond would go on to win the following year. Fignon would ride
    > the Tour four more times but it was the last time he would ever see the podium.
    >
    > 1990 Paris-Roubaix Canadian Steve Bauer suffers a heartbreaking finish line photo finish loss to
    > Eddy Planckaert after a valiant race. Planckaert had a teammate in the velodrome, but when van
    > Hooydonck went from far off, Bauer was on his wheel and looked set to win. Planckaert came through
    > on the outside to pip him at the line. As close as you can get to winning the Queen of the
    > Classics (except maybe for Gibus’s win over Ballerini in 1993).
    >
    > 1994 Ronde van Vlaanderen No one has won the Tour of Flanders four times. Johan Museeuw would have
    > become the first in 1998, but for a tire width four years earlier. Coming back from multiple
    > crashes and flats, Museeuw scrabbles his way back to the front of the race to the screaming
    > encouragement of his countrymen, but Italian Gianni Bugno is just too far ahead. Or is he? Museeuw
    > puts his head down and motors to the line while Bugno is starting his victory celebration. Johan
    > throws his bike at the line as Bugno, with arms up, looks over in shock. It was as close as it
    > could get but it was not to be for the Leeuw van Vlaanderen that day. Bugno wins by an inch. Bet
    > he always looked behind him after that one!
    >
    > 1984 Los Angeles Olympics Our man Bauer again. In the final break, he is one on one with noted
    > non-sprinter Alexi Grewal. I’m sure Bauer must have played the last minutes of this race in
    > his head over and over again, trying to figure out how he blew this big win. Clearly the stronger
    > finisher, this should have been a done deal. He waited but could do nothing as the skinny climber
    > from Colorado beat him to the gold medal.
    >
    > What are your choices?

  4. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    How about the biggest turnaround in history?

    I suggest that Rob Palachick telling everyone that he had pizza and beer with Johann Museeuw and
    then beat him in a training ride. He then took the name Ronde Champ to celebrate it.

    When someone pointed out how sad a liar he must have been since Museeuw wasn't in Philadelphia at
    the time nor even on this continent.

    Ronde responded that he was just kidding and became the hero of half of the group.

    "Tony" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I was listening to a sports talk radio show yesterday on my drive to work and they were discussing
    > the recent woes of the local football team. Some fans were calling in saying it was perhaps the
    > worst loss of all time. It got me to thinking of the cycling equivalent.
    >
    > So, what is the worst pro cycling race loss of all time?
    >
    > To prime the pump, I offer these up:
    >
    > 1989 Tour de France Laurent Fignon suffers a devastating loss on his home turf, losing the final
    > Paris time trial. Greg Lemond makes up 50 seconds in the final
    > 24.5 km stage to win by only 8 seconds, averaging 33.8 mph in a 54x12. The day before Fignon had
    > congratulated Lemond on his fine second place finish, thinking he (Fignon) had this one in the
    > bag. On the podium, Lemond tells Fignon, “now we’ve both won two, let’s see
    > what happens next year.” Lemond would go on to win the following year. Fignon would ride
    > the Tour four more times but it was the last time he would ever see the podium.
    >
    > 1990 Paris-Roubaix Canadian Steve Bauer suffers a heartbreaking finish line photo finish loss to
    > Eddy Planckaert after a valiant race. Planckaert had a teammate in the velodrome, but when van
    > Hooydonck went from far off, Bauer was on his wheel and looked set to win. Planckaert came through
    > on the outside to pip him at the line. As close as you can get to winning the Queen of the
    > Classics (except maybe for Gibus’s win over Ballerini in 1993).
    >
    > 1994 Ronde van Vlaanderen No one has won the Tour of Flanders four times. Johan Museeuw would have
    > become the first in 1998, but for a tire width four years earlier. Coming back from multiple
    > crashes and flats, Museeuw scrabbles his way back to the front of the race to the screaming
    > encouragement of his countrymen, but Italian Gianni Bugno is just too far ahead. Or is he? Museeuw
    > puts his head down and motors to the line while Bugno is starting his victory celebration. Johan
    > throws his bike at the line as Bugno, with arms up, looks over in shock. It was as close as it
    > could get but it was not to be for the Leeuw van Vlaanderen that day. Bugno wins by an inch. Bet
    > he always looked behind him after that one!
    >
    > 1984 Los Angeles Olympics Our man Bauer again. In the final break, he is one on one with noted
    > non-sprinter Alexi Grewal. I’m sure Bauer must have played the last minutes of this race in
    > his head over and over again, trying to figure out how he blew this big win. Clearly the stronger
    > finisher, this should have been a done deal. He waited but could do nothing as the skinny climber
    > from Colorado beat him to the gold medal.
    >
    > What are your choices?

  5. Bob Schwartz

    Bob Schwartz Guest

    For heartbreak it is difficult to top the 1947 Tour.

    "King" Rene Vietto, who had proven such a selfless teammate in the 1934 Tour that he sacrificed his
    own excellent chances to win in order to preserve those of his team leader, was clearly at the end
    of his career. He had enough left in the tank to take the lead on the second stage. A noted climber
    he was able to maintain that lead through the mountains. After having lost so many of his best years
    to the war this looked like his last, best chance.

    And so it was until the disaster of the stage 19 time trial. In the shadow of Paris, faced with a
    monsterous 139(!)km TT he coughed up 14:40 to Raymond Impanis and handed over the yellow jersey to
    the Italian Pierre Brambilla. This was a big deal that close to the end of the war and the Italian
    team, with Aldo Ronconi in second faced a peloton united against them on the final stage. And so
    it was that the unfortunate Brambilla and his exhaused Italian teammates came in 20 minutes behind
    the stage winner, giving up the victory to Jean Robic. Robic became the first winner to have never
    led the race.

    Bob Schwartz [email protected]

  6. Gopher

    Gopher Guest

    On 9 Jan 2003 14:29:02 -0800, [email protected] (Tony) wrote:

    >I was listening to a sports talk radio show yesterday on my drive to work and they were discussing
    >the recent woes of the local football team. Some fans were calling in saying it was perhaps the
    >worst loss of all time. It got me to thinking of the cycling equivalent.
    >
    >So, what is the worst pro cycling race loss of all time?

    Don't know the name of ithe race or the year, but the one where Beppe Saronni has his hands high and
    proud in the air celebrating his victory. It's all just a bit prematurely, though, as someone slips
    right under his outstretched arms with a bike throw for the win....

    ...the look on his face IS priceless.

    While it may not be the worst loss of all time, it is one of the MOST embarrassing, for sure.

    g.

  7. Ronde Chimp

    Ronde Chimp Guest

    Both of Steve Bauer's losses were excruciatingly close. The sheer closeness of the Paris Roubaix
    race is the winner in my books, but his Olympic loss to Alexi Grewal makes me wince to this day.

    I don't think anybody's mentioned Lance's loss to Boogerd in the 1999 Amstel Gold. Armstrong led the
    wheel-sucking Boogerd for over 20K and was outsprinted at the line. Another painfully close loss. On
    the podium, Armstrong looks like he could piss bullets.

    Thanks, Ronde Chimp

  8. Bret Wade

    Bret Wade Guest

    Tony wrote:

    > So, what is the worst pro cycling race loss of all time?

    Roche and Criquelion play cat and mouse at the end of the '87 L-B-L only to be caught and beaten by
    Arginten at the line. Not only did Roche lose, but he had to hear Criquelion whine about it too. The
    rest of the season went better.

    Bret

  9. Robert Chung

    Robert Chung Guest

    "Tony" <[email protected]> wrote
    > I was listening to a sports talk radio show yesterday on my drive to work and they were discussing
    > the recent woes of the local football team. Some fans were calling in saying it was perhaps the
    > worst loss of all time. It got me to thinking of the cycling equivalent.
    >
    > So, what is the worst pro cycling race loss of all time?

    Hmmm. That's a tough one, in part because it would take quite a failure to match the way THE GIANTS
    FOLDED AGAINST THE NINERS. I think the 1984 Olympics has to count high because Grewal wasn't really
    top-notch competition, and it must hurt a lot to lose to mediocrity (rather like THE GIANTS FOLDING
    AGAINST THE NINERS). Getting beat is bad enough, but losing is worse, and THE GIANTS DIDN'T GET
    BEAT, THEY LOST.

    On the other hand, 8 seconds over the course of three weeks and 3300 km must sting, especially after
    trash-talking the previous day. There's a photo in the new "Cent ans du Tour de France" that was
    taken of the podium, Lemond on the top step with a huge grin on his face, his eyes sparkling, his
    energy leaping off the page. Fignon's got the unfocused dead-fish thousand-yard stare, replaying the
    last 24 km over and over (and over) in his mind, eating his liver from the inside out. Ouch. That
    couldn't taste good.

  10. On 9 Jan 2003 14:29:02 -0800, [email protected] (Tony) wrote:

    >I was listening to a sports talk radio show yesterday on my drive to work and they were discussing
    >the recent woes of the local football team. Some fans were calling in saying it was perhaps the
    >worst loss of all time. It got me to thinking of the cycling equivalent.
    >
    >So, what is the worst pro cycling race loss of all time?

    Robert Millar - 1985 Vuelta

    http://www.ileach.co.uk/post/bob/vuelta.html

    Cheers! Stephen

  11. Jtn

    Jtn Guest

    YOU ALL MISSED IT it was paris roubaix in 1988 when Dirk De Mol won, when (?) got a plastic bag
    stuck in his rear derailleur at with about 2k to the finish.

    he would have crushed de mol, BUT HE DIDNT. now de mol is on the list of past WINNERS and (?) isnt.
    its funny how you never remember the 2nd place person.....

  12. Brian Roth

    Brian Roth Guest

    [email protected] (Tony) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I was listening to a sports talk radio show yesterday on my drive to work and they were discussing
    > the recent woes of the local football team. Some fans were calling in saying it was perhaps the
    > worst loss of all time. It got me to thinking of the cycling equivalent.
    >
    > So, what is the worst pro cycling race loss of all time?

    Early 90's Amstal Gold. Luc Roosen celebrates too early, and Adri Van Der Poel picks his pocket.
    They used to use this in a Time pedal ad, Roosen has a "Oh S***" look on his face. It would have
    been his biggest win. Maybe the biggest 'bonehead loss' instead of 'worst loss'.

    Concerning the 94 Flanders: Which would be the bigger loss, Museeuw's near miss of (what would have
    been at the time) a 3rd win, or if Bugno would have lost it by showboating? At any rate, Bugno
    robbed himself of a good finish line photo....

    Robert Miller is mentioned a few times in other responses, he also was lead off course in a TdF
    stage once. I think Ghirotto was the eventual beneficiary.

    Fignon also had a 89'esque loss in the 84 Giro where technology again played a role in the final TT.
    He went up against Moser's then new 'funny bike' on a fairly normal Gitane. It didn't help that the
    TV copter allegedly flew low and behind Moser, giving him a artificial tailwind, or the cancellation
    of a mountain stage, due to imaginary snow, witch benefited Moser. Last stage TT's were Fignons two
    greatest losses.

    1990? Paris Roubaix. Henrik Redant is off the front near the end of the race. He suffers a puncture
    and can't get timely service. A big 'what if' for him.

    Early 60's TdF. Jan Janssen takes the final stage TT and overall from (was it Hermann Van
    Springle?).

    1989 Tour de France stage 3 (?). Rudy Dahnens has it in the bag, going thru the last roundabout. He
    rolls a tire, or just looses traction, and falls. He goes from a sure win, to the last across the
    line. Dahnens never had any luck, and died in a car wreck a few years ago.

    1993 Tour of Lombardy. Pascal Richard finds the finish line about 50 meters too far after a long
    solo escape, and Bobrik takes his biggest win.

    1978, this one race in Indiana. This one guy from this Italian team visiting the USA stuck his frame
    pump in the spokes of this other local guy that trained real hard for the race. To make matters
    worse, the local guy idolized the Italian guys. That was really the worst loss of all....

  13. Garry Jones

    Garry Jones Guest

    Tony wrote:
    > So, what is the worst pro cycling race loss of all time?

    For me it is Niclas Axelsson in the Giro di Lombardia in 2000.

    I have known Niclas since I first moved to Sweden in 1988. He was just 16 at the time. I lived in
    his home town and followed his career since he won the Swedish junior championship that same year.

    When he turned pro I announced his arrival to the world scene here in rec.bicycles.racing in the
    thread "man to watch".

    http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=344F8049.4769BDA7%40ebox.tninet.se&output=gplain

    Although good in the hills and the occasional time trail he was never a sprinter and ended up with a
    lot of second and third places. He was 6th in the Giro in 1999 and it looked like his days were
    coming. It was regarded by many that his best chance to a major victory would be after a tactical
    breakaway at the right moment. He did this in the 94th Giro di Lombardia on Oct 21st 2000.

    Having seen him make his move at the right time and seen that the chasers were watching each other I
    started to get very excited. I phoned around to a few more mates to make sure my local cycling mates
    were watching this live performance unfold on Eurosport. He had gone with about 35 km to go.

    As the finish line got closer and closer I was shouting at the TV, Axelsson was 40 seconds up, 7km
    to go. I have never felt so involved in a live television broadcast before or since. I was punching
    the air in happiness, glued to the TV. Here was a guy I had cycled training rides of 230 km with. A
    guy I had trained with in the snow and ice of the Swedish winter. He punctured with 4km to go and
    with no time to change a wheel he pedalled on for all he was worth. It still looked like he would
    do it. It was all downhill to the finish. There were now only two guys in the chase. They worked
    together, had they both held out for victory Axelsson would have won. However Casagrande upset the
    Swedish commentator, myself and Axelsson by letting Rumsas ride on his wheel, they caught Axelsson
    with 100 metres to go and Rumsas sprinted home easily. Axelsson third. The Swedes asked why
    Casagrande sacrificed himself to give the race to Rumsas. I was just sad. At first you don't dare
    to hope, then you start to get excited and believe it may happen, then that it will happen, and
    then disaster.

    http://www.cyclingnews.com/results/2000/oct00/lombardia/lombresults.shtml

    What happened to Axelsson?

    He tested positive at the worlds in 2001 and received a four year ban from the Swedish cycling
    federation. From what I have heard he has not said anything to anyone about his case, he has refused
    to answer quesitons and no longer rides a bike.

    Garry Jones English cyclist, ResIDING in Sweden

  14. I have seen a fair number of races over the years but one that really comes to mind is when
    Djamolidine Abdoujaparov crashed into a photographer during the final sprint for the line on the
    last day of the TDF in Paris. He got a concussion and laid on the course for quite a while. He
    was knocked cold and the sight of that crash on video is truely horrific. It was a high speed
    train wreck!

    Bruce
    -------------------------
    "Tony" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I was listening to a sports talk radio show yesterday on my drive to work and they were discussing
    > the recent woes of the local football team. Some fans were calling in saying it was perhaps the
    > worst loss of all time. It got me to thinking of the cycling equivalent.
    >
    > So, what is the worst pro cycling race loss of all time?
    >
    > To prime the pump, I offer these up:
    >
    > 1989 Tour de France Laurent Fignon suffers a devastating loss on his home turf, losing the final
    > Paris time trial. Greg Lemond makes up 50 seconds in the final
    > 24.5 km stage to win by only 8 seconds, averaging 33.8 mph in a 54x12. The day before Fignon had
    > congratulated Lemond on his fine second place finish, thinking he (Fignon) had this one in the
    > bag. On the podium, Lemond tells Fignon, “now we’ve both won two, let’s see
    > what happens next year.” Lemond would go on to win the following year. Fignon would ride
    > the Tour four more times but it was the last time he would ever see the podium.
    >
    > 1990 Paris-Roubaix Canadian Steve Bauer suffers a heartbreaking finish line photo finish loss to
    > Eddy Planckaert after a valiant race. Planckaert had a teammate in the velodrome, but when van
    > Hooydonck went from far off, Bauer was on his wheel and looked set to win. Planckaert came through
    > on the outside to pip him at the line. As close as you can get to winning the Queen of the
    > Classics (except maybe for Gibus’s win over Ballerini in 1993).
    >
    > 1994 Ronde van Vlaanderen No one has won the Tour of Flanders four times. Johan Museeuw would have
    > become the first in 1998, but for a tire width four years earlier. Coming back from multiple
    > crashes and flats, Museeuw scrabbles his way back to the front of the race to the screaming
    > encouragement of his countrymen, but Italian Gianni Bugno is just too far ahead. Or is he? Museeuw
    > puts his head down and motors to the line while Bugno is starting his victory celebration. Johan
    > throws his bike at the line as Bugno, with arms up, looks over in shock. It was as close as it
    > could get but it was not to be for the Leeuw van Vlaanderen that day. Bugno wins by an inch. Bet
    > he always looked behind him after that one!
    >
    > 1984 Los Angeles Olympics Our man Bauer again. In the final break, he is one on one with noted
    > non-sprinter Alexi Grewal. I’m sure Bauer must have played the last minutes of this race in
    > his head over and over again, trying to figure out how he blew this big win. Clearly the stronger
    > finisher, this should have been a done deal. He waited but could do nothing as the skinny climber
    > from Colorado beat him to the gold medal.
    >
    > What are your choices?

  15. Glen Goins

    Glen Goins Guest

    [email protected] (Tony) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I was listening to a sports talk radio show yesterday on my drive to work and they were discussing
    > the recent woes of the local football team. Some fans were calling in saying it was perhaps the
    > worst loss of all time. It got me to thinking of the cycling equivalent.
    >
    > So, what is the worst pro cycling race loss of all time?
    >
    > To prime the pump, I offer these up:
    >
    > 1989 Tour de France Laurent Fignon suffers a devastating loss on his home turf, losing the final
    > Paris time trial. Greg Lemond makes up 50 seconds in the final
    > 24.5 km stage to win by only 8 seconds, averaging 33.8 mph in a 54x12. The day before Fignon had
    > congratulated Lemond on his fine second place finish, thinking he (Fignon) had this one in the
    > bag. On the podium, Lemond tells Fignon, “now we’ve both won two, let’s see
    > what happens next year.” Lemond would go on to win the following year. Fignon would ride
    > the Tour four more times but it was the last time he would ever see the podium.
    >
    > 1990 Paris-Roubaix Canadian Steve Bauer suffers a heartbreaking finish line photo finish loss to
    > Eddy Planckaert after a valiant race. Planckaert had a teammate in the velodrome, but when van
    > Hooydonck went from far off, Bauer was on his wheel and looked set to win. Planckaert came through
    > on the outside to pip him at the line. As close as you can get to winning the Queen of the
    > Classics (except maybe for Gibus’s win over Ballerini in 1993).
    >
    > 1994 Ronde van Vlaanderen No one has won the Tour of Flanders four times. Johan Museeuw would have
    > become the first in 1998, but for a tire width four years earlier. Coming back from multiple
    > crashes and flats, Museeuw scrabbles his way back to the front of the race to the screaming
    > encouragement of his countrymen, but Italian Gianni Bugno is just too far ahead. Or is he? Museeuw
    > puts his head down and motors to the line while Bugno is starting his victory celebration. Johan
    > throws his bike at the line as Bugno, with arms up, looks over in shock. It was as close as it
    > could get but it was not to be for the Leeuw van Vlaanderen that day. Bugno wins by an inch. Bet
    > he always looked behind him after that one!
    >
    > 1984 Los Angeles Olympics Our man Bauer again. In the final break, he is one on one with noted
    > non-sprinter Alexi Grewal. I’m sure Bauer must have played the last minutes of this race in
    > his head over and over again, trying to figure out how he blew this big win. Clearly the stronger
    > finisher, this should have been a done deal. He waited but could do nothing as the skinny climber
    > from Colorado beat him to the gold medal.
    >
    > What are your choices?

    1. Paris-Roubaix (90's) I forget what year it was, but what about the Thomas Wegmuller losing
    Paris-Roubaix to Dirk DeMol (sp?) I remember Wegmuller and DeMol were coming into the final
    kilos of the finish (they finished on the streets and not in the velodrome) and a small plastic
    bag blew in from the side of the street and got stuck in Wegmuller's rear derailluer! He was
    stuck in what looked like his 53/13, the team mechanic leans out of the car and tries to get the
    plastic bag out of the derailluer. He pulls most of it out but what is left of the bag is stuck
    in the pulleys. As the sprint is lead out by DeMol, Wegmuller tries to jump but looks like he is
    pedaling in sand.....sad indeed.

    2. World Championships (Japan) Not sure of this year either (90's). Final lap of the race and I
    believe it is Rudy Dahnens, and PDM teamate Dirk De Wolf were in front of a chasing field by
    seconds. Then Dag Otto Lauritzen attacks the field and bridges up to them. As Lauritzen rides up
    to the wheel of the duo, De Wolf looks back leaving one hand on the handlebars and then loses
    control of his bike. He goes down and takes Lauritzen down with him! Dahnen waits for De Wolf
    and the two continue on without Lauritzen staying away to the finish with Dahnens taking the
    Rainbow Jersey. Lauritzen was caught by the field. Lauritzen was really strong that day and had
    attacked repeatedly. You never know what he could have done in a 3 man sprint but I believe he
    was a better sprinter at the time than the other two.

  16. > So, what is the worst pro cycling race loss of all time?

    Because he got so few chances as a leader, the World road race when Dag-Otto Lauritzen was taken
    down when he had a clear shot for the title. Can't remember the year or who took him down. Would
    have been the highlight of a solid career.

    Curtis L. Russell Odenton, MD (USA)

  17. Brian Roth

    Brian Roth Guest

    [email protected] (Tony) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I was listening to a sports talk radio show yesterday on my drive to work and they were discussing
    > the recent woes of the local football team. Some fans were calling in saying it was perhaps the
    > worst loss of all time. It got me to thinking of the cycling equivalent.
    >
    > So, what is the worst pro cycling race loss of all time?

    LA Olympics, 1984. Team Pursuit final. USA vs. Australia. At the start Dave Grylls toe strap breaks,
    instantly putting the US at a man disadvantage, with no hope of beating a well drilled Aussie 4 man
    team. They take the silver, however.

    1996 Atlanta Kilo final. Favored Shane Kelly has a pedal fail at the start. In an instant, Olympic
    dreams go up in smoke.

  18. Benjo Maso

    Benjo Maso Guest

    "Tony" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht news:[email protected]...
    > I was listening to a sports talk radio show yesterday on my drive to work and they were discussing
    > the recent woes of the local football team. Some fans were calling in saying it was perhaps the
    > worst loss of all time. It got me to thinking of the cycling equivalent.
    >
    > So, what is the worst pro cycling race loss of all time?
    What are your choices?

    One of the worst was in 1958 in the last stage of the Tour in Paris, when just before the finish
    André Darrigade (who was leading the pack) hit an offical who was bending forward. Darrigade lost
    the race, but the offcial died.

    Benjo Maso

  19. WTF is this? A thread about bike racing? In this newsgroup? ;)

    But seriously, my favorite was in a recent Giro when Julio Perez Capio's campy 10 speed chain
    snapped about 1 km from the summit of his first solo mountain stage win.

    It was pretty classic as you could see the camera moto pull over and zoom in on his chainless drive
    train as he pointed to it. He then threw his bike in the ditch as what was left of the peleton came
    roaring by.

    That would SUCK.

    - Boyd S.

    [email protected] (Tony) wrote in news:4c54ef01.0301091429.484308 @posting.google.com:

    <snip>

    > So, what is the worst pro cycling race loss of all time?

    <snip

  20. Pdannyd

    Pdannyd Guest

    "Tony" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I was listening to a sports talk radio show yesterday on my drive to work and they were discussing
    > the recent woes of the local football team. Some fans were calling in saying it was perhaps the
    > worst loss of all time. It got me to thinking of the cycling equivalent.
    >
    > So, what is the worst pro cycling race loss of all time?

    Did Miguel Indurain turn up a few minutes late for a time trial in Le Tour De France one year then
    lose the yellow by the same margin?