Why is America incapable of producing a decent sports car?

1. Its too difficult and expensive to even begin to compete with the international competition
2. The only corners you find in American roads are at traffic lights and stop signs.
3. Its Armstrong's fault.
4. There's enough idiots who'll buy a 'vette no matter how craptastic it is, so why spend money making it better?
5. The types of Americans who buy expensive sports cars want something exotic in any case.
6. Americans can't make any type of car, so why are we just focussing on sports cars?
7. Duke are clearly a better basketball team than UNC if you focus on the most significant and recent 15 years of history.
8. I don't even ride a bike much but I can still BS on this forum of numbskulls.
9. American sports cars don't look like NASCAR mobiles.
10. James Bond would never drive one.

Crankyfeet said:
1. Its too difficult and expensive to even begin to compete with the international competition
2. The only corners you find in American roads are at traffic lights and stop signs.
4. There's enough idiots who'll buy a 'vette no matter how craptastic it is, so why spend money making it better?
5. The types of Americans who buy expensive sports cars want something exotic in any case.
6. Americans can't make any type of car, so why are we just focussing on sports cars?
7. Duke are clearly a better basketball team than UNC if you focus on the most significant and recent 15 years of history.
8. I don't even ride a bike much but I can still BS on this forum of numbskulls.
I'll go with number 6...
And number 10...

oh, and Cranky can BS...

Crankyfeet said:
Corvettes have 5 GT1 class wins at the 24 hours of LeMans. Vipers have 3 class wins.
http://www.tailofthedragon.com/ I live in NC, have a SCCA IT car (street legal), and find driving here quite challenging.
Duh
I guess you have to drive one to understand how great of a car it is. In '09, the '07 Z06 motor is the standard for the base model. I would call that an improvement.
We sold a Ron Fellows edition to the CEO of Lowes to add to his collection of US sports cars.
GM is turning that corner. Did you know that our overall fleet MPG is greater than.........wait for it...........Toyota. Funny thing is that we just sold Joe Gibbs racing Silverado 3500's to tow their trailers for their show race cars because Toyota doesn't make a truck capable of doing the job.
Here in NC we recognize the achievements of an entire program, and realize that quite clearly, Duke is a mediocre team.
I used to ride a lot, now I am the father of my kids.
NASCAR is boring until the final 40 laps, but it is a hoot after that.
You got me on that one.

Isn't AC a British company? Went for a drive in a 96 Viper GTS last year, ticked all the boxes for me. Granted its no Ferrari.

I'm not familiar enough to offer a comment - but I am intrigued.
Which US-made cars are considered sportscars??

If looking at performance only. What will run with a ZO6 for $60,000 US. Add exhaust, tires and a tune and you have 600 hp and well over a g in the turns for an additional $3000. You will need to spend twice that to come close in a euro car. The new Skyline GTR looks like the best hope to compete with zo6 for most performance for the money . Lets see what the dealers sell them for first............. I have owned a cobra, and to do the same performance as the ZO6, plan on a cage , earplugs and several pairs of chuddies .

EmPat said:
Isn't AC a British company? Went for a drive in a 96 Viper GTS last year, ticked all the boxes for me. Granted its no Ferrari.
I believe it is, but you have to understand, the mechanics (Which were American!) of that car is what counted. the body was VERY unaerodynamic.

limerickman said:
I'm not familiar enough to offer a comment - but I am intrigued.
Which US-made cars are considered sportscars??
Z06
Viper
GT-40
Panoz
Factory Five Cobra (kit car, but has a racing class in NASA)
Mosler MT900
Tesla (electric, and fast)
Pontiac Solstice

I think it is worth mentioning that the Pantera had a 351 clevelend block in it.

thoughtforfood said:
Z06
Viper
GT-40
Panoz
Mosler MT900
Pontiac Solstice
That list is quite a stretch.Kit cars are cool...and American, but come on.

thoughtforfood said:
Z06
Viper
GT-40
Panoz
Mosler MT900
Pontiac Solstice

Thanks

Billsworld said:
That list is quite a stretch.Kit cars are cool...and American, but come on.
It is one of the most competitive racing series in NASA. I would say that for the money, it is hard to beat the performance of the cars if you want to race...and go really fast. I would suggest learning a little about their company before making the decision as tury-key cars are an option. They are on par with Superperformance in the area of kits.

thoughtforfood said:
It is one of the most competitive racing series in NASA. I would say that for the money, it is hard to beat the performance of the cars if you want to race...and go really fast. I would suggest learning a little about their company before making the decision as tury-key cars are an option. They are on par with Superperformance in the area of kits.
I love those guys, have owned one of their cobras and live a half hour from the plant. I think the American sports car bashers are talking more about cars to compete with the Audi R8, and other cars that have a/c ps , pb , killer sound systems. and pass normal emission tests. Your talking about a track car that if registered needs to be titled as a 1966 cobra. There are many pure track cars built all over the globe that will run with factory five cars ,including the one that you mentioned, I just think you got a bit off track....a fun track however.