Landis goes Postal

I think Paul Kimmage would like to eat Lance's cancerous testicle as an hors d'oeuvre. He's become quite the bitter old woman as years progress... I think he started the whole Lance Fetish thing that LeMond would later subscribe too - you know, visiting press conferences at the far corners of the globe just to get his 15 seconds of "shout" in before being ridiculed in public.

As for "the Landis Stage"

Col des Saissies - 3’25” over the "peloton" containing main contenders

Col de la Colombiere summit - "peloton" @ 8’35
Bottom of Colombiere - "peloton" @ 9’05”

Start of the Col du Joux-Plane - 6’15”
Col du Joux-Plane summit - Moreau @ 5’05”, "peloton" @ 5’59”

Finish @ bottom of Joux-Plane
1. Floyd Landis (USA - PHO)
2. Carlos Sastre (ESP - CSC) at 5’42"
3. Christophe Moreau (FRA - A2R) at 5’58"
4. Damiano Cunego (ITA - LAM) at 6’40"
5. Michael Boogerd (NED - RAB) at 7’08"
6. Frank Schleck (LUX - CSC) - at 7’08"
7. Oscar Pereiro (ESP - CSC) - at 7’08"
8. Andreas Kloden (GER - TMO) - at 7’08"
9. Haimar Zubeldia (ESP - EUS) - at 7’08"

I want some of those drugs that make you descend really really fast...

It's interesting to note that Sastre, hardly the cream of the crop at going downhill, pulled back time on Landis on the final descent. Historically Carlos has actually shown himself to be quite sh1t at this aspect of the sport.

The Joux-Plane is one of the steeper hills but it isn't exactly huge a descent like the Galibier or Tourmalet, but everyone else lost about a minute. What the fcuk were they doing, watching the sheep in the fields or calling 1-800-isus-pect-drugs on the dog and bone? :p

limerickman said:
Landis lost 8mins on stage 16 2006 TDF Bourg d'Oisans - La Toussuire stage.
It was a mountainous stage and it was extremely warm - and Landis was clearly having a bad day.
He crossed the finishing line with sweat literally rolling off him.

So where is this sweat you're on about Lim? More sh1t you made up? Are you related to Paul Kimmage?

Front:
www.cyclingnews.com presents the 93rd Tour de France

Back:
www.cyclingnews.com presents the 93rd Tour de France

... given that it was 90F that day, the guy should get a promotional deal for Sure anti-perspirant.

swampy1970 said:
I think Paul Kimmage would like to eat Lance's cancerous testicle as an hors d'oeuvre. He's become quite the bitter old woman as years progress... I think he started the whole Lance Fetish thing that LeMond would later subscribe too - you know, visiting press conferences at the far corners of the globe just to get his 15 seconds of "shout" in before being ridiculed in public.

Paul Kimmage's stance on doping and cheats predates the beginning of Lancelot's "improvement" in grand tour racings.

But don't let that stop ya.

swampy1970 said:
As for "the Landis Stage"

Col des Saissies - 3’25” over the "peloton" containing main contenders

Col de la Colombiere summit - "peloton" @ 8’35
Bottom of Colombiere - "peloton" @ 9’05”

Start of the Col du Joux-Plane - 6’15”
Col du Joux-Plane summit - Moreau @ 5’05”, "peloton" @ 5’59”

Finish @ bottom of Joux-Plane
1. Floyd Landis (USA - PHO)
2. Carlos Sastre (ESP - CSC) at 5’42"
3. Christophe Moreau (FRA - A2R) at 5’58"
4. Damiano Cunego (ITA - LAM) at 6’40"
5. Michael Boogerd (NED - RAB) at 7’08"
6. Frank Schleck (LUX - CSC) - at 7’08"
7. Oscar Pereiro (ESP - CSC) - at 7’08"
8. Andreas Kloden (GER - TMO) - at 7’08"
9. Haimar Zubeldia (ESP - EUS) - at 7’08"

I want some of those drugs that make you descend really really fast...

It's interesting to note that Sastre, hardly the cream of the crop at going downhill, pulled back time on Landis on the final descent. Historically Carlos has actually shown himself to be quite sh1t at this aspect of the sport.

The Joux-Plane is one of the steeper hills but it isn't exactly huge a descent like the Galibier or Tourmalet, but everyone else lost about a minute. What the fcuk were they doing, watching the sheep in the fields or calling 1-800-isus-pect-drugs on the dog and bone? :p

Maybe they were all tired after the previous days stage?
Maybe they were too busy watching each other?

Remember Landis was found to have a testosterone reading that 400% higher than normal after that stage.
I wonder what his testosterone reading would have been before the stage started?

Anyhow, Landis has admitted his guilt.

It was a thrilling perfomance & one of those moments that transcents the habitual squalor of pro-cycling - drugs, sneaky 'on the road' deals between Director Sportifs etc etc.

Landis is a sad case & a big time casualty of the professional peleton (& his own shortcomings). If he'd played the game like 'Vino', Millar, Basso et al he'd have been back riding big races in a decent team 2 years ago. Instead the ludicrous 'denial' followed (after 4 years) by the spilling the beans. I think Landis is telling the truth but it's a crying shame he didn't do it 4 years ago.

Eldrack said:
Very interesting to listen to, thanks for posting!

You're very welcome.

"Off the ball" sports programme runs for 3 hours each night on radio and they cover all sports.
In fairness, they give great coverage to cycling.

I'll watch out for other cycling items on that show and post them.

lance_armstrong said:
Awesome resource! Nice to hear a point of view (Kimmage) that seems to be quite objective. I'm getting frustrated by the lack of opposing views among media journalists concerning this situation in the U.S.

what bothers me about the u.s. coverage isn't that they haven't adopted an investigative/adversarial posture, but their general lack of knowledge about the sport and its doping history. all the talking heads, most notably michael wilbon, seem to be completely enthralled with the lance effect and therefore reject landis' accusations out of hand. i'd be willing to bet that wilbon would be surprised to learn that the 1984 u.s. cycling team doped their way to olympic gold in los angeles.

observation 1: did anybody else notice a slight quaver in armstrong's voice as he refused to address the accusations during the interview before the toc stage?

observation 2: if the article naming mr. novitzky as the u.s. federal agent investigating the accusations, i'd be very afraid if i were a doper covering up my actions. this man's comportment, professionalism, and tenacity by all written accounts make this more than a casual investigation. and given he's well versed in financial matters, at least someone will be looking at the real trail for evidence, the money trail.

slovakguy said:
what bothers me about the u.s. coverage isn't that they haven't adopted an investigative/adversarial posture, but their general lack of knowledge about the sport and its doping history. all the talking heads, most notably michael wilbon, seem to be completely enthralled with the lance effect and therefore reject landis' accusations out of hand. i'd be willing to bet that wilbon would be surprised to learn that the 1984 u.s. cycling team doped their way to olympic gold in los angeles.

observation 1: did anybody else notice a slight quaver in armstrong's voice as he refused to address the accusations during the interview before the toc stage?

observation 2: if the article naming mr. novitzky as the u.s. federal agent investigating the accusations, i'd be very afraid if i were a doper covering up my actions. this man's comportment, professionalism, and tenacity by all written accounts make this more than a casual investigation. and given he's well versed in financial matters, at least someone will be looking at the real trail for evidence, the money trail.

The name that you referenced above, is one that I am not aware of.

Can you give us any more information about this guy?

limerickman said:
The name that you referenced above, is one that I am not aware of.

Can you give us any more information about this guy?

a follow on artlicle in ws journal article linked in first post

"...that Mr. Landis had met with FDA special agent Jeff Novitzky. Mr. Novitzky, a former Internal Revenue Service special agent, is best known as the lead investigator in the Bay Area Laboratory Cooperative case. That case resulted in a plea deal with the lab's owner, Victor Conte, on conspiracy and money-laundering charges, a prison sentence for gold medal-winning sprinter Marion Jones and an indictment of home-run champion Barry Bonds. Mr. Bonds is awaiting trial on federal perjury charges, which he denies."

i no longer recall if there were two articles or just one from sports illustrated (a u.s. general sports magazine) which detailed mr. novitzky's role in the balco investigation. also several newspaper articles which should be sourced on the internet still (mostly s.f. chronicle and other bay area pub's). the portrait these journalists paint of this guy detail that he's that sort of "boy scout" movie federal agent. very keen on right v. wrong and no bull**** investigator. in short, if he says "no foul", i'd believe him. if he, however, begins to find corroboration of landis' story, i'd start sweating. he doesn't give up on investigations.

slovakguy said:

"...that Mr. Landis had met with FDA special agent Jeff Novitzky. Mr. Novitzky, a former Internal Revenue Service special agent, is best known as the lead investigator in the Bay Area Laboratory Cooperative case. That case resulted in a plea deal with the lab's owner, Victor Conte, on conspiracy and money-laundering charges, a prison sentence for gold medal-winning sprinter Marion Jones and an indictment of home-run champion Barry Bonds. Mr. Bonds is awaiting trial on federal perjury charges, which he denies."

i no longer recall if there were two articles or just one from sports illustrated (a u.s. general sports magazine) which detailed mr. novitzky's role in the balco investigation. also several newspaper articles which should be sourced on the internet still (mostly s.f. chronicle and other bay area pub's). the portrait these journalists paint of this guy detail that he's that sort of "boy scout" movie federal agent. very keen on right v. wrong and no bull**** investigator. in short, if he says "no foul", i'd believe him. if he, however, begins to find corroboration of landis' story, i'd start sweating. he doesn't give up on investigations.

I hadn't heard of him either. Just Googled him, and I have to say that this situation is going to get very, very interesting.

Eldrack said:
Trolling is so easy isn't it? You just say something completely outrageous in a way that makes it sound like you believe it and everyone falls over their own incredulity because they just don't quite know how to respond.

On another note I'm wondering if Floyd can be put in jail for lying in court? He spent 2 years saying in court he didn't dope but now he's admitted it, what happens legally? Any lawyers here?

I am not a barrister or anything...but he never testified in court. It was an arbitration. However, he may still be in hot water if California makes perjury in arbitration proceedings a crime.

it turns out that Landis may face a class-action lawsuit for duping his fans out of a million bucks

oooh, ouch

I wonder what the guys at the former "Trust but verify" blog are thinking? Incredible work, but all for naught...

Do you think there's any chance that Frankie, Tyler and the gang will chime in before being subpoenad?

Hollywood couldn't write a more crazy script...

t-town said:
Hollywood couldn't write a more crazy script...

This is impossible to deny, the result of this will be something to look back on , thats for sure. :eek:

Man, I bet that "Dr. House" guy must be going tapioca right now, that cat shot his wad too early..............................:D

Anyway, my first reaction was absolute glee, hoping the implications stick.

There is a saying, "Be careful what you wish for".

Now that the initial euphoria has passed, I am looking at this with a different take perhaps. Landis doped just like the rest, but got caught. Why is there any obligation, moral or otherwise, to rat your fellow racers? Think about it.

I firmly believe a man should "take his lumps" and fess up if caught, the Tyler debacle is still joked about all the time with my riding buddies.

Anyway, we all pretty much feel that Armstrong will once again come out "clean", so I have resigned myself to absolute neutrality in this matter, in a hopefully successful attempt at retaining my sanity.

slovakguy said:

Thanks SG (my PC's been down for the last 24 hrs, hence my late reply!)