lessons needed

ela1980

Aug 18, 2005
I would like to learn how to unicycle but am a little fearful (to be honest a lot fearful!) I was wondering if there was anyone in the Fife or Dundee area who currently uniclycles and would be prepared to try and teach me thanks :confused:

ela1980 said:
I would like to learn how to unicycle but am a little fearful (to be honest a lot fearful!) I was wondering if there was anyone in the Fife or Dundee area who currently uniclycles and would be prepared to try and teach me thanks :confused:
There is nothing to be fearful of. Just start outdoors on level clean ground next to some sort of railing.

Get yourself up on it and start working your way down the railing. It does take time to learn your balance, but all of a sudden you ride 5 feet then 10 feet and the next thing you know you are cruising down the road.

I have been riding one for about 28 years and my daughter learned to ride one when she was around 11 or 12 yrs old.

Good luck.

Ps. There are a lot of places on the internet that give you tips and the different stages of learning to ride!

konaman132 said:
There is nothing to be fearful of. Just start outdoors on level clean ground next to some sort of railing.

Get yourself up on it and start working your way down the railing. It does take time to learn your balance, but all of a sudden you ride 5 feet then 10 feet and the next thing you know you are cruising down the road.

I have been riding one for about 28 years and my daughter learned to ride one when she was around 11 or 12 yrs old.

Good luck.

Ps. There are a lot of places on the internet that give you tips and the different stages of learning to ride!
It's mainly a question of making your head realise that you're not going to hurt yourself. Assuming that you're using a "learner size" cycle, the furthest that you can fall is about three inches. That doesn't sound so bad does it? I've learnt to uni over the past few months, and have only landed not on my feet about three times. The worst that happens is that you sit on the crown jewels if you're a bloke, and that *does* hurt! I don't think that girlz have a problem in that department.

I found my breakthrough came when I realised that unicycling is a continuous process of falling off. The uni moves forward, the rider leans forward, and as he/she falls off the front the cycle catches up. One has to lean forward much more than than feels right.