No trains for charity cyclists

"Peter Masson" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "M.Whitson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Re carriage of cycles by train, I recently travelled on
> > a SET rain which
> had
> > two guard's vans (it was one of those allegedly hated
> > slam door trains
> which
> > provide for the carriage of cycles) I boarded the front
> > unit, a CEP, only
> > find that some useless ignorant fool had managed to get
> > a full size bike
> in
> > the passenger saloon and had draped it over three
> > seats of a four seat bay thus leaving one seat for his
> > own use.
>
> I recently saw a bike and rider emerge from a first class
> compartment of a VEP. On the NLL cyclists ignore the
> injunction against cycling on the platform - they cycle
> out of the train.

All of them?

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 21:31:06 +0000 (UTC) someone who may be "Jon
Porter" <[email protected]> wrote this:-

>In the meantime ready for next year, I would urge the
>organisers of this cycle ride to contact Southern and
>suggest that an approach be made to

>two capable of carrying cyclists.

I recall being told that privatisation would do away with
the "dead hand" of BR and replace it with thrusting private
companies. I would expect the railways to organise a deal
and offer it to the ride organisers. ISTM that they are
expecting the organisers to do their work for them.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh | PGP email preferred-key number
F566DA0E I will always explain revoked keys, unless the UK

On 23/6/04 10:24 pm, in article [email protected], "Mark South"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>> A pal once took his tandem on a train by wrapping it in
>> cardboard. That made it even more space-filling than it
>> was to start with, but by levering the Small Print he got
>> a result.
>
> ISTR reading somewhere (possibly here) that disguising
> your bike as a surfboard made it impossible to reject.

I had wondered about whether I could claim the bike with a
child seat on was a baby carriage...

..d

"Tony Miles" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "David E. Belcher" <[email protected]> wrote in
> message
> news:[email protected]...
> > [email protected] (Chris Brady) wrote in
> > message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > > Despite the introduction of new rolling stock -
> > > Southern / South Central / ex-Connex STILL have a
> > > number of the older slam door trains. So why they
> > > couldn't they have used these is a moot point. I
> > > nearly went on the L2B run on Sunday on the spur of
> > > the moment but am now glad that I didn't. Indeed
> > > without rail transport back to London I will NEVER go
> > > on it again. It seesm to me that once again a Railco
> > > has decided on an anti-cyclist stance. Travelling by
> > > train in the UK is a nightmare anyway - period - but
> > > with a bicycle its a total nightmare.
> > >

> > Quite baffled by this, as Southern do still, as you say,
> > have the older types of train in service - could they
> > not have concentrated them on the Brighton line just for
> > one Sunday? Seems like a bit of a cop-out on the train
> > company's behalf. However, there is the outside option
> > of making your way over to Hastings and then picking up
> > a Southeastern service to London instead. As another last-
> > resort option, do Virgin run from Brighton to Kensington
> > Olympia on Sundays?
> >
> Its a cumbersome job to re-allocate stock for one day of
> the week - especially a Sunday - and have it back in place
> for the Monday morning peak. What they did was to very
> clearly say that last year was the final time they could
> support the event and gave over 12 months notice so people
> could plan accordingly.
>
> Out of interest, if the numbers stated are correct then
> the charity could probably have hired a charter rake (Mk1s
> are available) to do the run back to London - maybe that
> is an idea for next year?

But that would not accomodate bikes.

Peter Clinch <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> peter wrote:
>
> > I was going to say carry a copy of a SWT timetable, as
> > I'm sure it used to say 'Folding cycles may be carried
> > on any service', however I've just checked the latest
> > one and all it says about bikes is 'Cycles are not
> > allowed on any service marked with a *'. I don't know if
> > this means the policy on folding bikes has changed.
>
> Their policy on the website states "Cycles which can be
> folded to a size which allows them to be carried safely in
> the luggage racks on South West Trains may be carried
> folded at all times".
>
> This is slightly ambiguous, as it doesn't really specify
> if "safe" space on a SWT luggage rack is actually required
> in a specific instance, but I think you could print off a
> copy and wave it at them without pointing that out.
>
> Pete.

I wish Southern would make their mind up as well, currently
Ok for bikes (for presumably another year or so) in a guards
van, even though the timetable forbids it in the peak, and
they don't seem to care about 3 or more bikes per
Electrostar either. I think * means a non-folder.

In uk.railway, [email protected] (MartinM) writes:

> "Tony Miles" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>> Out of interest, if the numbers stated are correct then
>> the charity could probably have hired a charter rake
>> (Mk1s are available) to do the run back to London - maybe
>> that is an idea for next year?
>>
> But that would not accomodate bikes.

What if the Mk1 rake included more than one full brake?

Graham Murray <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> In uk.railway, [email protected] (MartinM) writes:
>
> > "Tony Miles" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:<[email protected]>...
> >> Out of interest, if the numbers stated are correct then
> >> the charity could probably have hired a charter rake
> >> (Mk1s are available) to do the run back to London -
> >> maybe that is an idea for next year?
> >>
> > But that would not accomodate bikes.
>
> What if the Mk1 rake included more than one full brake?

Then it could probably take 50 bikes per BG, but which
charter rakes have BG's in? 325's are still the answer,
perhaps GBRF will see this oppurtunity next year, but the
break with rail has already occurred (as it did with London-
Cambridge and Oxford several years ago).

"MartinM" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Then it could probably take 50 bikes per BG, but which
> charter rakes have BG's in? 325's are still the answer,
> perhaps GBRF will see this oppurtunity next year, but the
> break with rail has already occurred (as it did with London-
> Cambridge and Oxford several years ago).

Except that the 325s will probably be busy with RM work and,
most probably, many of them will either be in Scotland at
the end of their journey carrying mail northwards or heading
south ready for Monday's duties and therefore not available
for a day trip to Brighton.

Don't forget that there are also the (currently owned by)
EWS loco-hauled parcels quads (former Class 307 PCVs and
GUVs), which have much greater route availability than the
325s. Retaining a couple of those for such instances as
this, or conveying the great unwashed back from Glastonbury
;-)) might be an idea.

On 25 Jun 2004 23:42:28 -0700 someone who may be
[email protected] (MartinM) wrote this:-

>Then it could probably take 50 bikes per BG,

As they are all being offloaded in the same place I would
guess 100-150 per BG.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh | PGP email preferred-key number
F566DA0E I will always explain revoked keys, unless the UK
government prevents me using the RIP Act 2000.

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 11:59:35 +0100, David Hansen
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On 25 Jun 2004 23:42:28 -0700 someone who may be
>[email protected] (MartinM) wrote this:-
>
>>Then it could probably take 50 bikes per BG,
>
>As they are all being offloaded in the same place I would
>guess 100-150 per BG.

Not so. Many people want to get off at places other than
London Victoria/Clapham Junction.

I know us die hards on urc would think nothing of cycling
back home from Brightron, but for many others being able to
get a train to Redhill, East Croydon or even stations not on
the Brighton Line would be a Good Thing.

Tim
--
For those who have trouble distinguishing, cynicsm, sarcasm,
humour etc, try mentally inserting smilies thoughout my post

(Jon Senior urc)

David Hansen <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> On 25 Jun 2004 23:42:28 -0700 someone who may be
> [email protected] (MartinM) wrote this:-
>
> >Then it could probably take 50 bikes per BG,
>
> As they are all being offloaded in the same place I would
> guess 100-150 per BG.

maybe, 7 bikes fits into the guards van of a (shortened
brake end) VEP with room to get past.

On 26 Jun 2004 14:52:59 -0700, [email protected] (MartinM) wrote:

>David Hansen <[email protected]> wrote in
>message
>news:<[email protected]>...
>> On 25 Jun 2004 23:42:28 -0700 someone who may be
>> [email protected] (MartinM) wrote this:-
>>
>> >Then it could probably take 50 bikes per BG,
>>
>> As they are all being offloaded in the same place I would
>> guess 100-150 per BG.
>

>maybe, 7 bikes fits into the guards van of a (shortened
>brake end) VEP with room to get past.

I'd have thought you could get double this number simply by
stacking them on top of each other.

PRAR
--
http://www.i.am/prar/ As long as people will accept ****, it
will be financially profitable to dispense it. **** Cavett

Tim Hall <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 11:59:35 +0100, David Hansen
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >On 25 Jun 2004 23:42:28 -0700 someone who may be
> >[email protected] (MartinM) wrote this:-
> >
> >>Then it could probably take 50 bikes per BG,
> >
> >As they are all being offloaded in the same place I would
> >guess 100-150 per BG.
>

> Not so. Many people want to get off at places other than
> London Victoria/Clapham Junction.
>
> I know us die hards on urc would think nothing of cycling
> back home from Brightron, but for many others being able
> to get a train to Redhill, East Croydon or even stations
> not on the Brighton Line would be a Good Thing.

Indeed the previous shuttles in the morning and the
afternoon have all stopped at Haywards H, Three Bridges,
Redhill and East Croydon. SWT have always allowed bikes even
on the 455's into Clapham on the day, which are usually full
of bikes/riders.

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 22:25:36 +0100 someone who may be Tim Hall
<[email protected]> wrote this:-

>>As they are all being offloaded in the same place I would
>>guess 100-150 per BG.
>
>Not so. Many people want to get off at places other than
>London Victoria/Clapham Junction.

Easy peasey. Arrange the bikes by destination.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh | PGP email preferred-key number
F566DA0E I will always explain revoked keys, unless the UK
government prevents me using the RIP Act 2000.

In message <[email protected]>
"Jack Taylor" <Jack @Carney.co.uk> wrote:

[snip]

> Don't forget that there are also the (currently owned by)
> EWS loco-hauled parcels quads (former Class 307 PCVs and
> GUVs), which have much greater route availability than the
> 325s. Retaining a couple of those for such instances as
> this, or conveying the great unwashed back from
> Glastonbury ;-)) might be an idea.

Especially if you fit them with sprinklers to wash the mud
off, could be very popular.

--
Graeme Wall This address is not read, substitute trains for
rail. Transport Miscellany at